Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Fitness, Spa & Sports Cruises Active cruisers unite!

Old October 19th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm expecting to gain a few pounds on our 45d cruise next week but hoping to keep it to a minimum. I never take the elevator on board and try to work out on sea days and walk a lot on port days.

My problem is the fattening delicious cold soups and desserts. I've tried the just have one bite or only eat half method and that works most of the time. I don't normally eat either of these but LOVE them - that is why I don't normally cook them! My will power does lessen as the cruise goes unfortunately.

Upcoming...
07/15. HAL Veendam - 1st 18 days of Voyage of the Vikings
10/15. Norwegian Spirit - 28 day Transatlantic
01/16 Carnival Triumph - 21d Southern Caribbean

116 days at sea on....
12/06 RC Navigator of the Seas - 7d Eastern Caribbean
01/08 HAL Ryndam - 30d Hawaii/South Pacific
03/08 Carnival Spirit - 7d Mexican Riviera
06/08 Princess Sapphire - 10d Alaska
01/09 Celebrity Galaxy - 10d Southern Caribbbean
10/11 HAL Maasdam - 45d Atlantic Adventurer (RT FLL to Europe)
05/14 Carnival Legend - 7d Western Caribbean
06/14. Carnival Conquest - 7d Eastern Caribbean

Old October 25th, 2011, 05:46 PM
5,000+ Club

I'm addicted to healthy foods at home and onboard. I think there is a wonderful selecting of low fat, low carb and no sugar foods at the buffet and MDR.
I'm also a gym addict

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage
2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing

2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

EMAIL

Old October 31st, 2012, 08:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Health & Fitness

Hey Everyone! I am a 25-year-old former Toowoomba woman, a Year 1 teacher at St Bernard's Catholic School in Brisbane, joined the Ashy Bines Bikini Body Challenge back in April.
I did it because I wanted to feel more confident in my own skin after struggling with low body self-esteem for most of my teenage years, continuing into my young adult life.

To me "It was never about losing weight,"
"It was about changing my diet and eating clean.
"As soon as I started it, I felt so much better. I think everyone can see how I feel on the inside too."
I toned up by following the Ashy Bines clean eating plan and exercise plan.
"It was so easy."
Now in the best shape of my life and glowing with confidence, Ientered the Ashy Bines Best Physical Transformation competition and is going head-to-head with women from all over Australia.
http://www.cleaneatingdietplan.com/

Last edited by ennajohn; October 31st, 2012 at 08:30 AM.

Old February 27th, 2013, 04:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJo View Post
Hi everyone. I've been working out hard and dieting for my upcoming cruise. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for eating healthy while on a cruise. I eat a bodybuilding diet and work out 6 days a week. I end up with 5 small meals a day. Of course it's a challenge with all of the great food on cruises. I'm a dessert girl myself :-)
Don't throw away all that hard work just because you are on a cruise. Be proud of your achievemnets and stick to the same routine on onboard.
Desserts are empty calories ...as are carbs. Melon fruits or sorbet could be a sweetie dessert substitute.
Wishing you all the best for your cruise.

2014 Emerald Princess:Mediterranean Medley
2014 Emerald Princess: Baltic Heritage
2013 Diamond Princess: Sydney - Beijing

2012 Diamond Princess: Bangkok - Sydney
2012 Dawn Princess: Hawaii & Tahiti
2011 Star Princess: South America
2011 Star Princess: S.America-E.Caribbean
2010 Sun Princess: SE Asia
2009 Dawn Princess: Papua New Guinea
2008 Tahitian Princess: Tahiti
2008 Sun Princess: New Zealand
2006 Pacific Star: Vanuatu

EMAIL

Old May 19th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just returned from a 14 day cruise 3 pounds lighter!! A fewTips - always take the stairs, start lunch with huge salad and lemon water, say no to rolls( limit breads), high protein breakfast to start day, all drinks, from juice to alcohol are empty calories - choose wisely. Share a dessert Exercise daily and do light weights. Eat fish - served amazing onboard. Choose excursions that are active. Enjoy the food - but don't overindulge. Mostly, enjoy the ports, people, and all the activities!

Old May 27th, 2013, 02:44 PM
50,000+ Club

kieferkat, that is great news.

I often lose weight on cruises too.

We eat so healthy with so many wonderful choices.

Keith

Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Will hot water get the salt out ????
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Ryndam Carib. 11/14 -21 days
Ryndam Carib. 1/15 -14 days
Maasdam Carib. 3/15 - 14 days
Rotterdam Canary 4/15 - 18 days
Veendam Bermuda 6/15 - 14 days
River Cruise France 8/15 - 21 days
Emerald Europe 8/15 -14 days
Eurodam Viking Passage 9 /15 -17 days
Xpedition Galapogas 11/15 - 10 days
Prinsendam Amazon 11/15 - 25 days
Volendam Asia 2016- 93 days

Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:59 AM
50,000+ Club

For those who do like rolls, just have one per day and try to avoid the butter.

Use the ship as a spa as there are so many wonderful food items to enjoy that are not only good for you but are not high in calories.

At the same time, enjoy so have a dessert, etc but try to offset that with exercise.

After all, you should enjoy the cruise and that includes the food.

Keith

Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by we're sailing away.... View Post
Will hot water get the salt out ????
If you us only there hot water will that work ????
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Ryndam Carib. 11/14 -21 days
Ryndam Carib. 1/15 -14 days
Maasdam Carib. 3/15 - 14 days
Rotterdam Canary 4/15 - 18 days
Veendam Bermuda 6/15 - 14 days
River Cruise France 8/15 - 21 days
Emerald Europe 8/15 -14 days
Eurodam Viking Passage 9 /15 -17 days
Xpedition Galapogas 11/15 - 10 days
Prinsendam Amazon 11/15 - 25 days
Volendam Asia 2016- 93 days

Old June 22nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

You distill salt water into fresh by boiling and collecting the steam to condense to fresh water; the salt is left behind. I'm thinking (if my memories of 6th grade science projects are correct) that heat doesn't get rid of sodium, it just evaporates the water molecules and leaves the salt behind..
Carnival Sensation 2008
Carnival Inspiration 2009
HAL Zaandam 2011
Celebrity Silhouette 2015

Old September 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM
10,000+ Club

I not only eat clean, but also organic and GMO free. Pretty easy to do at home, not so much when cruising. (Although GMO free is pretty easy to accomplish on European itineraries.)

Here's how I plan on managing it on my next cruise...

Because the ship is in French Polynesia year round, it's mostly provisioned locally and from France/Europe. So most foods should be GMO free. I'll just have to grin and bear it on the organic, although they use a lot less pesticides/herbicides/"cides" in general in the EU.

I plan on keeping the same workout routine as at home. I typically run 6-7 days a week, five miles a day. I'll do that on the treadmill. Three mornings a week I strength train prior to running. I also take 4-5 yoga classes a week, times vary between morning and evening. I will continue the strength training and yoga per my usual routine, although the yoga practice will all be in the morning.

I'll keep breakfast the same as I do at home. It's pretty much any combination of egg whites, veggies, berries, oatmeal, hard boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, banana, hard boiled egg, and protein powder with tea to drink. What and how much depends on which exercises I've done prior to breakfast. My breakfasts can hit 800 calories, although sometimes that doesn't even equate my exercise calories for that morning.

Lunch is generally either a salad with grilled chicken or grilled/broiled fish with steamed/grilled/broiled veggies. That will be easy to continue.

Dinner is usually chicken breast or fish with veggies and often a whole/ancient grain. I eat a lot of quinoa and spelt. A couple times a month I'll have lean beef or beans as the protein. When I eat out I ask them not to put bread on the table. I will be very surprised if they have ancient grains on board, so I'll just skip the starch.

I'll have dessert once or twice, but most nights I'll either order fresh fruit for dessert or just have a bite of my husbands. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so it's not a big deal for me.

I've gotten very good at just walking past the crapola foods on a buffet line like they don't exist. The longer I maintain a clean diet, the less I have any desire to eat junk. The thing I crave the most often is fruit and oatmeal.

My biggest problem will be the wine. At home I typically drink a couple of glasses a week. On the cruise I expect I will drink 2-4 a day. In all honesty, that would still only be the equivalent of a little over one pound gained, no biggie--I can shred that off in two days when I get home.

I agree with the others that you should strive to eat as close to the way you do at home as possible. Changing your food could lead to any number of digestive issues--not something you want to have happen on vacation.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old September 30th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

IMO it is a real shame when people lump foods into categories of "clean" or "dirty" or "good" or "bad." It is also more of a shame when people feel like they have to deprive themselves on a cruise.

IMO it is all about a little self control and enjoying life. There should be no reason that you cannot enjoy any food on the cruise that you really love. As an example, if you want a piece of cake with dinner, just cut back on the bread, as both are carbs and calories. You can easily shift the calories from the bread to a slice of cake.

It is all about moderation.

Also, just as an aside, do you realize that there is no magical or special advantage to eating 5 or 6 meals a day in a "bodybuilder" diet? I encourage you to visit the nutrition forum on bodybuilding dot com and do some lurking.

Start with these four threads:

"Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

"Calculating Calories and macronutrient needs." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

"Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821

Critique my diet:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129523333

Old October 2nd, 2013, 05:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
IMO it is a real shame when people lump foods into categories of "clean" or "dirty" or "good" or "bad." It is also more of a shame when people feel like they have to deprive themselves on a cruise.

IMO it is all about a little self control and enjoying life. There should be no reason that you cannot enjoy any food on the cruise that you really love. As an example, if you want a piece of cake with dinner, just cut back on the bread, as both are carbs and calories. You can easily shift the calories from the bread to a slice of cake.

It is all about moderation.

Also, just as an aside, do you realize that there is no magical or special advantage to eating 5 or 6 meals a day in a "bodybuilder" diet? I encourage you to visit the nutrition forum on bodybuilding dot com and do some lurking.

Start with these four threads:

"Nutrition For Newbies & Must Read Threads." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=136691851

"Calculating Calories and macronutrient needs." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

"Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition." http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=123915821

Critique my diet:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=129523333
Great post Snorkelman and I look forward to reading those threads! I couldn't agree more about enjoying your cruise food - in moderation - just as you should enjoy food in everyday life. My sister and I switched to a mostly paleo diet this past year and really feel like it's made a difference for us. Not that either of us is what most people would consider "overweight" (she's Zumba instructor and personal trainer and I'm a distance runner who also weight trains), but we both found that into our 50's it was just so much more difficult to keep the weight off through our middle. It's not for everyone, and I probably only stick to it about 80-90%, but it's what works for us. I found it was pretty easy to stick to that diet when we cruised over the summer, so many vegetables and fruits at the buffet, and during dinner I just skipped the bread, potatoes and rice, although I did splurge on dessert. And yes, I did have a cheeseburger and fries one afternoon and pizza a couple of times. I mean, that Princess pizza, I wasn't going to completely give that up! I did put on a couple of pounds but it came right off as soon as I got home and back into my regular eating routine. You have to enjoy life a little!

Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Tips for clean eating on the cruise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
Too many chemicals. Organic and non-GMO foods will help you avoid major sources of carcinogens from entering your body. Use an organic whey, non-GMO protein powder. Otherwise, it looks similar to mine, although I Introduce more healthy fats (olive oil, avocado) and less processed food--only brown rice, never white for example. I also eat fish where you eat beef.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Last edited by ducklite; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:45 PM.