Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old May 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine's Mom View Post
Roz, i was just remembering a few years ago i had a wonderfl dog who i had saved from a shelter. Lamont was a dog that EVER0NE loved but had a severe nervous problem. Anyway, i had t leave him for a reason i can't remember but i looked at several places so everyone knew how nervous i was anyway they liked him so they kept him close to them the whole time i was gone sohe didn't get lonesome. Ask friends and the people you work with and vizit the places. As wonderful as Brenda is i am positive someone will love to have her, but then again you might have to fight to get her back! Lol
Barbara, as Brenda was aging and Morey and I were watching her do more and more "refusals" we both realized that bringing in a "Successor Dog" was inevitible and we discussed how Brenda would become his pet as I progressed to work more and more with my new dog.

We never thought in a million years that Morey wouldn't be here to be with Brenda, to keep her company and see her through her aging years.

Life sure has a way of throwing mountains in our pathway's and dares us to climb them and keep moving forward.

Well, I've got these two wonderfully, adorable and brilliant dogs to take care of by myself and I'll be damned if either one of them will feel lost or alone....EVER!!!!! I'm going to shower them with love and support and make sure that that their every need is met....I wouldn't have it any other way and, I know, neither would Morey!

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls Royce Lover View Post
Barbara, as Brenda was aging and Morey and I were watching her do more and more "refusals" we both realized that bringing in a "Successor Dog" was inevitible and we discussed how Brenda would become his pet as I progressed to work more and more with my new dog.

We never thought in a million years that Morey wouldn't be here to be with Brenda, to keep her company and see her through her aging years.

Life sure has a way of throwing mountains in our pathway's and dares us to climb them and keep moving forward.

Well, I've got these two wonderfully, adorable and brilliant dogs to take care of by myself and I'll be damned if either one of them will feel lost or alone....EVER!!!!! I'm going to shower them with love and support and make sure that that their every need is met....I wouldn't have it any other way and, I know, neither would Morey!

Morning Roz

How true - actually in a way, thank goodness we don't know what's ahead of us! We would all be sitting in a corner wailing. That's why when friends of ours tell us they are way too young to join the "old folk" on a cruise, and that it is something they are going to do when they are 80 as cruising is for old folk! I just think to myself "well more fool you, you might not even make 80! and I couldn't write the rest of what I think! ".

They are both in their early 60's and as we are just a teeny tad younger, can you just imagine my expression when she says this! I've given up telling her/them how wonderful it is, ah but each to his own.

This past year there have been so many sudden and sad losses that we are determined that we will continue to travel while we can. What is the point of saving and waiting for that "rainy day", as I believe if that day ever comes it will likely bring heartache with it.

So this "old Wifie" will continue to enjoy her travels and particularly her cruises!

And the dogs will continue to enjoy their visits to their "hotel" when we are away!

Doggy hugs to Miss Brenda and BigBoy H and of course to you!

Old May 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well said, Fairbourne. We are in a funk and are desperately (sp) seeking what we want to do next. We are also early 60's and know that nothing is guaranteed. We must get over this hump and move on. Of course the 10 year old grandson is a priority. What is best for him is number 1 on our list. So, with compromise we will plow on.

Roz: If you chose to move the earth, we would all be behind you with raised arms, shoving. Love you, Brenda and Master Horty to death!

Old May 20th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks guys, your support means the world to me!!!!!

Horton is becoming my "hero"! He's so protective over Brenny and me. He won't let anyone pass by our front door without reminding them; "don't come too close, I'm in here and I'm ready to defend my women!" Love that big, bad boy!!!!

Happy week to everyone!

Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.

1984-RCCL~1985-RCCL~1995-RCCL~1996~Carnival~1997-Carnival~2002-Celebrity~2002-Princess~2003-Princess~2003-Princess~2004-NCL~2004-Carnival~2005-Princess~2005-Princess~2005-Carnival~2006-Princess~2006-Princess~2007-Oceana~2008-Princess~2008-Princess~2009-Carnival~2009-Princess~2010-Carnival~2010-Princess~2011-Princess~2012-Princess~2012-Princess~2013-Princess

Old May 20th, 2013, 06:13 PM
5,000+ Club

I see that "Sunshines" hubby has had a pretty rough go after his lung transplants and I want her and her man to know that we're all thinking of them and wishing them good health. Our prayers are with you.

Talk about a serious and long recovery. Please know that we wish you easier days ahead.

I know Sunshines dream is to get him on a cruise with her and I hope that that dream comes true for both of them.

Also, Cari should have graduated with her new Seeing Eye Dog.....Congratulations Cari!!!....I'm so sorry that Morey and I didn't get to make it to your graduation but my thoughts and very best wishes for great success with your new "power leader" and restful and easy days ahead for Denver [her retiring SED.]

Please let us all know about any upcoming cruises with your new dog. I know he's a Yellow Lab like your handsome Denver. You must be having so much fun. I know what energy comes with the new Service Dog and it's so much fun to try and keep-up with them.

It's so easy to forget how much our older Service Dogs slowed down everything in our world. Although they sure tried to keep up the pace. I know your life is a busy one.

</b></i></font></font></font>

<font face=Book Antiqua><font size=4><font color=indigo><i><b>[SIGPIC]
It's Brenda Elizabeth with a rose between her teeth on the Costa Majica to Brazil!!!!!

Roz, Horton & Debi "Do Over!"

Roz, Horton & Lisa [First time cruiser] ~ Mother & Daughter

Old May 20th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
I see that "Sunshines" hubby has had a pretty rough go after his lung transplants and I want her and her man to know that we're all thinking of them and wishing them good health. Our prayers are with you.

Talk about a serious and long recovery. Please know that we wish you easier days ahead.

I know Sunshines dream is to get him on a cruise with her and I hope that that dream comes true for both of them.

Also, Cari should have graduated with her new Seeing Eye Dog.....Congratulations Cari!!!....I'm so sorry that Morey and I didn't get to make it to your graduation but my thoughts and very best wishes for great success with your new "power leader" and restful and easy days ahead for Denver [her retiring SED.]

Please let us all know about any upcoming cruises with your new dog. I know he's a Yellow Lab like your handsome Denver. You must be having so much fun. I know what energy comes with the new Service Dog and it's so much fun to try and keep-up with them.

It's so easy to forget how much our older Service Dogs slowed down everything in our world. Although they sure tried to keep up the pace. I know your life is a busy one.

Please let her know we are thinking about her and praying for her and Rich.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Roz, I just noticed you are going on the Crown Princess. That is the ship we went on for our Princess cruise! I think it was pretty new when we went on it.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
Roz, I just noticed you are going on the Crown Princess. That is the ship we went on for our Princess cruise! I think it was pretty new when we went on it.
I've never been on the Star or the Crown and I'm looking forward to both.

You know, having these new adventures without my man will be so different....he stopped traveling with me but he was always waiting for me at home to hear what happened and loved to see the pictures.

It's Brenda Elizabeth with a rose between her teeth on the Costa Majica to Brazil!!!!!

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Please let her know we are thinking about her and praying for her and Rich.
I know she's on Facebook a lot and I [when Morey became very sick] decided I had had enough of Facebook.

Come back Sunshine and tell us how Rich is doing and how are you?

Old May 21st, 2013, 02:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Roz: I will go on Facebook and relay the message to Sunshine and Cari. I am still on both, keeping up with family and pupper rescues............

Old May 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Nancy for bringing me back into the fold!!! I have actually been thinking about all of you a lot lately.

It has been a very long and hard journey that Rich and I are on. Looks like he will need to officially retire this year at 58 years of age. Still considered "disabled" as we both work so hard to get back to a new normal for us.

He has indeed had multiple complications with the lung transplant, but, I would not trade one moment of the golden time we spend together. After so many years of both working and coming and going it is nice to have quiet time to just hang out with each other

He had a serious set back with pneumonia this winter and spring. After multiple treatment trials it finally seems to be cured. Whew.

He is now in rehab trying to regain his strength. Walked 15 feet yesterday so I am cheering big time. He has lost over 70 lbs and was not a big man to start with. Sadly I have gained almost 30 myself with the crazy life we lead.

I am not fostering any pups at this time, but, understand Mackey is doing well and Cooler is rocking it out on the west coast. Apparently has been on some train rides and recently was in San Franciso.

Working with a big yellow lab that reminds me of Cooler on occasion. He is so funny and a perfect lunch date when I manage to find sometime away from the hospitals.

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

I also have a caring bridge site www.caringbridge.org search name is richmays no space between the names

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine426 View Post
Thanks Nancy for bringing me back into the fold!!! I have actually been thinking about all of you a lot lately.

It has been a very long and hard journey that Rich and I are on. Looks like he will need to officially retire this year at 58 years of age. Still considered "disabled" as we both work so hard to get back to a new normal for us.

He has indeed had multiple complications with the lung transplant, but, I would not trade one moment of the golden time we spend together. After so many years of both working and coming and going it is nice to have quiet time to just hang out with each other

He had a serious set back with pneumonia this winter and spring. After multiple treatment trials it finally seems to be cured. Whew.

He is now in rehab trying to regain his strength. Walked 15 feet yesterday so I am cheering big time. He has lost over 70 lbs and was not a big man to start with. Sadly I have gained almost 30 myself with the crazy life we lead.

I am not fostering any pups at this time, but, understand Mackey is doing well and Cooler is rocking it out on the west coast. Apparently has been on some train rides and recently was in San Franciso.

Working with a big yellow lab that reminds me of Cooler on occasion. He is so funny and a perfect lunch date when I manage to find sometime away from the hospitals.
Hello Sunshine426

Gosh you and your DH have certainly been through the wringer .... But as you say you wouldn't trade those precious golden moments, and I hope that you both have many, many more precious times together.

Sending you best wishes across the water .... And I love your lunch date! what is it about big boy labs??? They are just such loving goofy boys! I don't know what I would do if I didn't have my daily big goofy boy hug, and I don't mean the DH!!!

Thanks for letting us know how you both are - and do pass on our best wishes to your DH Rich.

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Please give Rich a big, Rozzie-Hug from me.

You're an amazing woman with a wonderful support system. You also have us.

I think about you often and how our lives have changed since we cruised together.....seems like a lifetime ago!

Stay well for yourself and for your family and Rich. Love you!

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Sunshine, Sorry to hear of Richs setbacks, but thrilled that he is on the mend. We are all praying he gets well and comes home soon. He is so lucky to have you in his life!!

Cindy
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was just contacted by a CCI service dog owner. She is going on RCI next month and had some questions.

First of all she told me that she had to sign a contract that she would not feed her dog from the table. RCI is making her do unnecessary things just to let her on the ship. Her dog has to have, corona virus shot, wormed, microchipped, (and of course I forgot what else).They even told her she had to get permits and fullfill all the requirements from all the islands, even if she does not get off the ship. I think it's ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of this? By law can they make you do these things? We have never been asked to do anything just to get on the ship, just had to have the health certificate.

Well I just called the RCI special needs dept to get some info. Pretty much everything is the same as all the other cruiselines. She did say that they would want but do not require permits for all the islands incase you would have to debark for an emergency on one of the islands. Now the woman (CCI dog owner) I talked to said they would not even let her on the ship if she didn't have all those permits.

I hope she comes in and reads this so she can fight it. She did say she argued about giving another rabies shot and won that battle.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Last edited by rangeley; May 22nd, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I was just contacted by a CCI service dog owner. She is going on RCI next month and had some questions.

First of all she told me that she had to sign a contract that she would not feed her dog from the table. RCI is making her do unnecessary things just to let her on the ship. Her dog has to have, corona virus shot, wormed, microchipped, (and of course I forgot what else).They even told her she had to get permits from all the islands, even if she does not get off the ship. I think it's ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of this? By law can they make you do these things? We have never been asked to do anything just to get on the ship, just had to have the health certificate.
I had to sign a similar contract with Princess. Their contract states that "the Service Animal must be on a leash or harness while in public areas, may NOT sit on any surface other than the floor, the dog is not allowed in saunas or pools, NOT allowed in any location where food is being served or is available and MUST NOT BE FED IN ANY PUBLIC AREA OF THE SHIP, INCLUDING DINING ROOMS (I agree with this.)

However, if I paid attention to what this darn contract says....my dog would be in the closet, in my cabin and wouldn't serve any purpose to me while I was onboard the ship. Of course he's going into the dining room with me, to the buffet or to the pizza stand.

As far as the "medical requests" that RCI is making we all know that they're being made to discourage those folks who would bring the "fake" Service Dog onboard. And, hopefully they do!!!!

Any ligitimate dog handler knows what is necessary to travel and will simply respond to these requests with the appropriate Vet paperwork, sign the contract with a response as to what the DOJ and your Vet recommends, handwritten on the form [as I did!] After I did this Princess NEVER questioned me further. Nor did the folks at registration or the Purser's desk.

When you are at the pier with your dog, put him in a "down/stay", to show off his behavior and make sure that you use your best doggie ettiquette when your out in public.

CCI dogs know how to behave and if you've graduated from their training program, you too know what to do in all situations. That's why I love the license they give us to use out in the world. As should ALL training Orgs.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-of-roz View Post
I had to sign a similar contract with Princess. Their contract states that "the Service Animal must be on a leash or harness while in public areas, may NOT sit on any surface other than the floor, the dog is not allowed in saunas or pools, NOT allowed in any location where food is being served or is available and MUST NOT BE FED IN ANY PUBLIC AREA OF THE SHIP, INCLUDING DINING ROOMS (I agree with this.)

However, if I paid attention to what this darn contract says....my dog would be in the closet, in my cabin and wouldn't serve any purpose to me while I was onboard the ship. Of course he's going into the dining room with me, to the buffet or to the pizza stand.

As far as the "medical requests" that RCI is making we all know that they're being made to discourage those folks who would bring the "fake" Service Dog onboard. And, hopefully they do!!!!

Any ligitimate dog handler knows what is necessary to travel and will simply respond to these requests with the appropriate Vet paperwork, sign the contract with a response as to what the DOJ and your Vet recommends, handwritten on the form [as I did!] After I did this Princess NEVER questioned me further. Nor did the folks at registration or the Purser's desk.

When you are at the pier with your dog, put him in a "down/stay", to show off his behavior and make sure that you use your best doggie ettiquette when your out in public.

CCI dogs know how to behave and if you've graduated from their training program, you too know what to do in all situations. That's why I love the license they give us to use out in the world. As should ALL training Orgs.
I totally agree with the contract as far as feeding in dinning room, not allowed in pools. However the part about being around where food is served is ridiculous. What I don't agree with is the permits for islands you are not getting off on and giving all those extra shots and meds they don't need. And to tell her that she will not be allowed on the ship if they are not done is just wrong.
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I totally agree with the contract as far as feeding in dinning room, not allowed in pools. However the part about being around where food is served is ridiculous. What I don't agree with is the permits for islands you are not getting off on and giving all those extra shots and meds they don't need. And to tell her that she will not be allowed on the ship if they are not done is just wrong.
I agree with you. They're being so over-the-top ridiculous about their demands.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello,
I am back from my cruise, had a great time on the cruise and in San JUan. We had two service dogs on our cruise, tiny ones but i think they were the real thing.

ROZ---so glad to hear that you are cruising again. Hugs to you and the fur babies. Pushing yourself to cruise is wonderful---I am sure that Morey is jumping with joy that you are going to do this. I would take Brenda in a minute, if I lived near.

Hi Cindy-----hope all is well with you and the family. Big hugs and kisses to Wex.

Happy cruising to those that are cruising soon.

Welcome to our new members- this is such a great group---with or without a service dog. I don't have a service dog but I love coming on here and hearing about all the great things that happen. And love to hear about the service dogs and what wonderful things they do. I am waiting for CCI to call us ------we applied for a reject dog------and if and when they call we are going to take the dog. We are ready. We did have the wonderful pleasure of taking care of Wex, on one of our cruises, thanks to Cindy and John. I wanted to run away with him---I fell in love.

Glad to hear that Rich is back on the road to recovery. Sending prayers and hugs to both of you. Keep up the good work Rich.

Trudy
Carnival -Miracle 2004
Carnival -Liberty 11/12/2005
Carnival -Fantasy 4/29/2006
Carnival -Sensation 11/26/2006
Carnival -Freedom Thanksgiving 2008
Carnival -Dream 12/03/09 first time out of
PC
CARNIVAL DREAM 1/08/11
Carnival Dream 2/22/2014
Carnival Freedon 2/25/2012
Carnival Ecstasy 4/28/12