Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 11th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival food

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontpanik View Post
I was curious on the quality. I have heard every possible review from nasty to wonderful. I thought I'd ask seasoned cruisers, what do you think? Also, a few specific questions...is there afternoon tea/high tea served anywhere aboard? Is the sushi fresh made, or is it buffet style made the day before?
I enjoyed all the food on my carnival cruise except the sushi. I love sushi! Carnival sushi (on the elation) reminded me of the stuff I might pick up at the grocery store. It wasn't horrible to eat, just nothing like sushi from restaurants.

The rest of the food on my carnival cruise was very enjoyable!!! Loved the warm choc cake, the ceasar salad, the soups, the shrimp cocktail, the cheeseburgers. I was very happy to eat all week!

Old September 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well the pickled ginger, cucumbers and carrots was good at least! lol

Balcony cabin--the BEST way to cruise!

Old September 21st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

My Carnival Faves include the Calamari, I was pleasantly surprised, it was better than most restaurants, love the escargot (my son's ABSOLUTE favorite) and shrimp appetizers, love the cheese tray... and there is a beef dish we got once that was FANTASTIC, I wish I could remember the name of it. I have never been disappointed... obviously some nights are better than others, but overall it is VERY enjoyable and our servers are always just wonderful. There is always an entree I really want to try, often several. Decisions are the hardest part for me...

Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm very much a foodie and particular about what I will eat and I enjoyed the food on both of our Carnival cruises. (I like to say "particular" as I want my food to be cooked right, but I'm not "picky" in limiting my food choices.)

There is always going to be something on the menu that is less than stellar, but there are enough choices that it shouldn't ruin the experience. I have found that dining earlier does seem to produce fresher food than later, some of that has to be recycled from the earlier service.

Keep in mind that a reasonable comparison should be catered meals, not restaurants, unless you are eating in the steakhouse. (Which is worth every penny!) The dining room food in this case is excellent overall. I enjoyed the meals that we had there and although the ribs at lunch one day were not as tender as they should have been, the vast majority of the food was delicious. (And we left the dining room and went for reubens after the rib incident, problem solved! )
Carnival Glory - Canada - June 2010
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - May 2003

Old August 22nd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am seeing alot of people like the pizza ! now are we talking about the 24 hr pizza onboard ? and will they make you a pizza anyway you want it?

RCCL Monarch of the Sea 10-22-2006
U.S.S. Kitty Hawk 1/1980 ( Iran Hostage Crisis )

Old August 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Does the Liberty have a place for Chicken wings??

Old May 11th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunter1224 View Post
I am seeing alot of people like the pizza ! now are we talking about the 24 hr pizza onboard ? and will they make you a pizza anyway you want it?
They have a set menu, but I bet they would make you something special with the ingredients they have on hand. I've also heard you can order a whole pie.

Old May 12th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Food is good, not outstanding

Compared to other cruiselines, I found Carnival to be not quite as good. However, there is still plenty to love! If you'd like to see pictures, take a look at our food pic blog at http://www.cruisefoods.com/

For afternoon tea, it was nice but the desserts were pretty rich and a bit heavy to me. They also had less variety of tea sandwiches, etc.

I've always enjoyed the sushi. Sushi at the buffet is hit or miss, sometimes it's really great! I've also had the tuna and watermelon salad sushi on the Carnival Freedom and loved it.

The pizza is not my favorite, we found it a little bland, but enjoyed the calzones much more.

Old May 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I thought the afternoon tea was really stuffy and I felt uncomfortable. But that might just be me!

Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Afternoon Tea

I liked the afternoon tea that we had on Carnival as opposed to HAL.
Bigger selection on HAL but we sat with ten to fifteen people at a table and basically ate dessert. At least thirty to fifty people attended. And we were placed at three tables. It seemed that to open the dining room would have made more work for them. It was so crowded that it wasn't relaxing. On the Glory just a few people were there. Unfortunately, it was held in the corner of a bar but We love the opportunity to slow down and enjoy the moment.

Old June 4th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking love the food

i haave never had a bad meal on a cruise, although once the pumpkin soup was a bit on the salty side, i usually order an appetizer and a soup and maybe two entrees and almost always 2 desserts (NOT a fan of the liquid "melting" cake-its cake batter to me)...my sushi was always freshly made in front of me!

lido food is okay also, just consider how many are being made...i have no problem, if i want to pay a fortune for food made with esoteric spices, i stay home and visit those restaurants (rarely)!

the "food court" servings (asian, pizza, deli) are also good and i think i have sampled just about all of those stations!
jubilee 11/26/01
conquest 12/02/02
legend 11/29/03
victory 12/12/04
land based alaska 5/28/05
glory 10/22/05
victory 6/9/07
fascination 7/13/07
destiny 8/18/11

Old June 5th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Carnival will surprise you!

You would be very surprised that the cruise you paid the least for had wonderful food. On our last CCL cruise, I had stomach problems and they served me pasta w/ butter (not on the menu) which is good for what ails you. Additionally, my husband saw someone in the elevator carrying a hotdog and fries down from the buffet. When he mentioned it to the server, they ran upstairs to get him the hotdog and fries. That is service!!!

At least on Carnival, I always know there is something to do for everyone!!!

Carnival is trying to please as recent headlines have not helped, so you may be very surprised w/ them! Checkout reviews before booking...that is the telling of the tale so to speak. Every cruise line has it's good and bad ships!!!

Doing your homework will really make your cruise a good one!!!

Last edited by CaroleR; June 5th, 2013 at 08:40 AM.

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleR View Post
You would be very surprised that the cruise you paid the least for had wonderful food. On our last CCL cruise, I had stomach problems and they served me pasta w/ butter (not on the menu) which is good for what ails you. Additionally, my husband saw someone in the elevator carrying a hotdog and fries down from the buffet. When he mentioned it to the server, they ran upstairs to get him the hotdog and fries. That is service!!!

At least on Carnival, I always know there is something to do for everyone!!!

Carnival is trying to please as recent headlines have not helped, so you may be very surprised w/ them! Checkout reviews before booking...that is the telling of the tale so to speak. Every cruise line has it's good and bad ships!!!

Doing your homework will really make your cruise a good one!!!
I agree with you on just about everything. I just finished an 8 day cruise on the Breeze. I felt the variety of offerings was not as good as usual and I also felt the food was not as good as usual. That said, I had several very good dinners in the "anytime seating" dining room. I think my biggest caution is that if you don't eat the food the minute it comes out it will be cold. I love HOT food, not lukewarm food, and I know it is hard to serve that many people and hope for the food to stay warm even with those little brown covers. Now the good part - STEAK HOUSE. If you haven't tried it I think the Breeze has by far the best steak house of any of their ships. If I wanted to pay for dinner every night I would have eaten there. Service - EXCELLENT, food - EXCELLENT, atmosphere - EXCELLENT, and everyone I talked to that ate there absolutely raved about it as much as I did. A must in my opinion even though it is an extra cost. Oh, by the way, go the first night and you will enjoy a free bottle of wine!!!!

Old June 5th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Love trying new food!

I'm leaving for my 3rd carnival cruise this September, but I have also cruised with Princess, Holland America and RC. As for Carnival, sometimes the food was delicious and sometimes "not so much". But that's okay, because you can just order something else....which is AWESOME. I know that we actually pay for all our meals and some when we purchase our cruise ticket, but doesn't it feel kinda great to be able to eat in the main dining room 3x a day and never get an actual "BILL" no matter how many things you order or send back??? Ahhhhhhhhhh, the freedom of choice. I think Carnival's food is just fine....maybe some meals not as good as others, but you will certainly never go hungry. As for the Sushi....Ehhhhh. But then again, I love good sushi and sashimi. I don't go for lots of rice and fake KRAB. But lots of folks love it and are happy to stand in line for it. As for me, they can eat my share and I will simply go find something else that I love just as much. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Old June 5th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm a fussy eater but I always found something I enjoyed on Miracle last July. I don't like a big lunch & found a really good tuna sandwich made to order which I ate a lot. Made my own iced coffee at the beverage stations. Salad with a chicken patty & potato salad was a good lunch too. Chicken nuggets & fries for my 12 yr old grand daughter almost every day. We went to tea once in the D.R. They didn't asked what we wanted just put a plate of cookies in front us. We only ate dinner in the Main Dining Room. My grand daughter (12) had a lot of flat iron steaks, ribs and the warm chocolate melting cake (yummy).
Beef brisket with vegees in gravy in the D.R. was melt in your mouth excellent. Had a lot of beef for dinner. I chose a lot of what they called comfort food like meatloaf & mashed potatoes. Lasagna was good. I do not care for fish except tuna salad!
Breakfast buffet was always good. Pizza was very good! Boy, did we both eat a lot of ice cream! We had pastry once at the coffee shop & it was good & reasonably priced. The pastries at the free dining venues was good also. Food is the only good thing I have to say about this ship & would not cruise with Carnival again. Worst cruise food I ever had was on NCL Dawn 10 years ago. I'm sure it's changed by now. It was a fun ship though. Every one has their own opinions so who do you listen to? You take the good with the bad & decide for yourself. I will keep cruising though. Maybe Breakaway 2014, Quantum 2015.

Old June 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

So far we have had no complaints with Carnival's food.

Has it been better or worse from time to time? Yes, but I've had that happen at many of my favorite restaurants.

The only time I just did NOT like the food was at the late night Mexican buffet aboard the Sensation in 2010. It was nowhere near the Mexican I am used to and the flavors were just not good.

Everything else; deli, sushi, pizza, breakfast buffet, etc. has been great. The Chateaubriand in the MDR is my hands down favorite so far. Have had it on every cruise and it has been melt in your mouth excellent every time!!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Liberty - 12-7-2013
Carnival Fascination - 12/3/12 - Key West, Nassau
Carnival Paradise - 12/12/11 - Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Sensation - 12/9/10 - Nassau (Wife's 1st)
Premier Atlantic - 6/2/91 - Nassau (My 1st)