Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Iglu TA are bril x they also put premium drinks package means I don't hv to pay for any type of drink or food x 600 xtra but I would hv spent a lot more in 17 days x

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by solorizor View Post
Iglu TA are bril x they also put premium drinks package means I don't hv to pay for any type of drink or food x 600 xtra but I would hv spent a lot more in 17 days x
Are you quoting £ or $ ?

Old May 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

£s checked out an all inclusive with thomson for 14 days 1888 that's not even a premium drinks package !!!!

Old May 26th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I am not convinced that the premium version of the Allegrissimo all-inclusive package is worth it. The non-premium Allegrissimo already includes a whole load of branded spirits, almost all the cocktails, beers and wines by the glass, soft drinks, bottles of water, speciality coffees, ice creams, smoothies and freshly squeezed juices. The premium is practically double the price and only gives you a few extras: premium brand spirits (e.g Bombay Sapphire instead of Gordon's gin), the (tiny) contents of your minibar, lager in bottles (instead of just draught) and some more wines by the glass. The difference in daily cost would easily cover these whenever you wanted them. I have only heard of people going for the premium when the non-premium Allegrissimo is not available, e.g. in the Caribbean.

Although I have had both non-premium and premium Allegrissimo on my two previous MSC cruises, I will probably give both a miss this time and instead splurge on some decent wine, e.g. Barolo or the Amarone della Valpolicella, which can't be had on either package. IMHO the best red available on the premium package is a rather ordinary chianti - like a cheap supermarket wine really. On the non-premium Allegrissimo, there is a choice of Merlot (very thin) or Montepulciano (less so, and almost as good as the chianti). The sparkling wine is very respectable but is only available at the bars, not in the MDRs. I don't drink white wine but I heard that the Trebbiano was like a reasonable Chardonnay. The latter two are included in the non-premium Allegrissimo.

More generally, MSC fares for their repositioning cruises are a bargain for solo travellers. In the UK they are priced at £25/night for an inside cabin, £35/night for outside and £45 for a balcony grade with zero single supplement. So the 17 nighter from Genoa to Santos is priced at £425 (inside guarantee), before any MSC Club discount, which in my case nets a fare of £391. I am hoping the upgrade fairy will cast her eye in my direction as the ship is likely to be well under capacity.

I booked my flights using a combination of cash (Easyjet to Milan) and Avios (Iberia and BA Sao Paulo - Madrid - Heathrow - Manchester) for a total of £98 + £167 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers (see how here) and some of that return journey is business class so that I have access to the fast lanes and food and drink of the lounges at Madrid and Heathrow.

So, there are bargains to be had for solo cruisers and Avios collectors aboard MSC!

Booked
Cunard Queen Mary 2: Southampton, England - New York, USA, Dec 2014 roll call

Sailed
Sailing Yacht "Thassos"': Lefkas, Greece - Kalamata, Greece, 24th August 2014 - 7th September, 2014 live blog
MSC Opera: Southampton, UK - Amsterdam, Holland (1 night), May 2014 roll call
MSC Armonia: Las Palmas, Gran Canaria - Venice, Italy (11 nights), March 2014 live blog
MSC Fantasia: Santos, Brazil - Venice, Italy (17 nights), March 2013 live blog
MSC Musica: Venice, Italy - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (16 nights), November 2012 live blog
RCI Grandeur of the Seas: Palma, Mallorca - Colon, Panama (14 nights), October 2011
RCI Legend of the Seas: Singapore - India - Dubai - Oman - Gulf of Aden - Suez Canal - Rome, Italy (24 nights), May 2009
Cunard QE2: Southampton, England - New York, USA (5 nights), January 2006

Skipper Tim's guide to almost free flights for repositioning cruises

Last edited by Skipper Tim; May 26th, 2013 at 07:04 AM.

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Do you think they will give you the upgrade free or is there a payment for it?

Old May 26th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Do you think they will give you the upgrade free or is there a payment for it?
Free of course! I have heard of cruise guests been offered paid upgrades in advance of the cruise but whenever I have booked an inside guarantee on Cunard, Royal Caribbean and on MSC, I have always got a free upgrade.

The most recent MSC ships have such a high proportion of balcony cabins that booking an inside guarantee on a repo cruise almost assures you of a good upgrade. The Orchestra is not that new and has a lower proportion of balcony cabins than the Fantasia class. but I would still expect a good chance of getting an outside (window) cabin.

The fact is that i would be happy with an inside. The real luxury is not having to share it whatever it happens to be.

Booked

Sailed
Sailing Yacht "Thassos"': Lefkas, Greece - Kalamata, Greece, 24th August 2014 - 7th September, 2014 live blog
MSC Armonia: Las Palmas, Gran Canaria - Venice, Italy (11 nights), March 2014 live blog
MSC Musica: Venice, Italy - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (16 nights), November 2012 live blog
RCI Grandeur of the Seas: Palma, Mallorca - Colon, Panama (14 nights), October 2011
RCI Legend of the Seas: Singapore - India - Dubai - Oman - Gulf of Aden - Suez Canal - Rome, Italy (24 nights), May 2009

Old May 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've already got outside cabin do you think they might offer me balcony lol

Old May 26th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Any idea how long the flight home is?????

Old May 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I've already got outside cabin do you think they might offer me balcony lol
I have moved our conversation over to the roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post38514172

Booked

Sailed

Old June 1st, 2013, 01:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nice Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper Tim View Post
I have moved our conversation over to the roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post38514172
Hi Skipper Tim.

Just wanted to write that I like your signature and what appears to be your cruising style (solo, getting the best bang for the buck, and so on).

I might seriously consider the Sharm el-Sheikh-to-Venice sailing. Thanks.
August 2005 Disney Magic Caribbean
May 1996 RCI Sovereign of the Seas Caribbean
Late 80s/Early 90s HAL Westerdam Caribbean

Old June 1st, 2013, 05:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlajr View Post
Hi Skipper Tim.

Just wanted to write that I like your signature
That sounds like a classic forum chat-up line .

Quote:
I might seriously consider the Sharm el-Sheikh-to-Venice sailing. Thanks.
I hope you do. We have a very active roll call - up to 23 of us as of this morning and 11 of us are solo travellers. Having a Cruise Critic group aboard really changes the dynamics of a cruise as I discovered aboard the Fantasia (blog link in my signature but basically it was one long party!).

Tim.

Booked

Sailed

Last edited by Skipper Tim; June 1st, 2013 at 05:01 AM.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not sure if this is a pricing error or not, but double rate is $459pp, single is less than that at $334.40pp. This is inside. OV double rate is $579pp, single is $526.40pp. All need to add tax $95pp. Once you get to the highest level of OV stateroom and then to balcony and up, the single supplement is 200% as expected.

This is for Pacific Princess May 15, 2015 4-night Los Angeles to Vancouver repo (yes, almost two years from now!)

Old June 4th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

You can cruise for 5 nights on the Carnival Ecstasy out of Canaveral in September through November 2013 for about $425 single occupancy.

Old June 4th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend100 View Post
Not sure if this is a pricing error or not, but double rate is $459pp, single is less than that at $334.40pp. This is inside. OV double rate is $579pp, single is $526.40pp. All need to add tax $95pp. Once you get to the highest level of OV stateroom and then to balcony and up, the single supplement is 200% as expected.

This is for Pacific Princess May 15, 2015 4-night Los Angeles to Vancouver repo (yes, almost two years from now!)
It's likely not an error; two 4-day sailings in May 2014 also had very similar single pricing for the three lower level stateroom types some months ago. I thought I could wait until September to book the one that interested me at the low rate (I wanted to book other cruises first) but I was sadly mistaken when the price went up to the 200% single supplement a few weeks later.

If you're reading this and you're interested in booking the deal Friend100 posted, do it now; there's nothing to lose if the deposit is refundable. If the price goes away, it may not come back, especially one that low.

Last edited by swazzie1; June 4th, 2013 at 10:35 PM. Reason: replace 'away' with 'up to the 200% single supplement'

Old June 5th, 2013, 04:46 AM
5,000+ Club

Legend of the Seas t/a leaving BCN on 10/30 to FLL for 13 nights has some amazingly low rates for singles. Airfare JFK-BCN on AA thru ChoiceAir is $427. including the service charge. Hard to beat that on a one-way fare. The airline's rate is over $2,200. for the one-way and the r/t fare is around $1,000. which is okay if you can use the return flight back to BCN.
RCCL: Brilliance (2), Vision (2), Enchantment (4), Voyager (2), Liberty (2), Navigator (2), Explorer (2), Majesty, Monarch(2), Jewel, Mariner, Independence, Freedom, Legend, Grandeur. Total: 25 cruises
Princess: Grand (2), Caribbean (2), Crown (2), Diamond, Dawn, Ruby. Total: 9 cruises
Cunard: QM2 (4). Total: 4 cruises
Renaissance: R2. Total: 1 cruise
Holland-America: Maasdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam. Total: 5 cruises
MSC-Divina. Total: 1 cruise
Grand Total: 92 cruises

Old June 5th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazzie1 View Post
It's likely not an error; two 4-day sailings in May 2014 also had very similar single pricing for the three lower level stateroom types some months ago. I thought I could wait until September to book the one that interested me at the low rate (I wanted to book other cruises first) but I was sadly mistaken when the price went up to the 200% single supplement a few weeks later.

If you're reading this and you're interested in booking the deal Friend100 posted, do it now; there's nothing to lose if the deposit is refundable. If the price goes away, it may not come back, especially one that low.
Thanks for the additional information. From an online TA site, I can see the lowest single rate for Inside is $318+tax and for OV is $398+tax. Just a note that this is on the 30,277 GT Pacific Princess, which will just be finishing a 111-days Los Angeles round-trip World Cruise before this repo.

Old June 11th, 2013, 11:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Royal's Serenade OTS 15 night Transatlantic(Barcelona to New Orleans) $734 total with Tax and fees for an Inside Gty.

Royal is currently running the Wow sale, so I was also able to get $200 OBC and just pay half deposit($225)

Oops the dates are Nov 27-Dec 12 its over Thanksgiving

Old June 12th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mim41

I haven't travelled solo yet, and am a bit apprehensive. I am looking for a Christmas river cruise, have tried booking with Tauck but they are not taking any more solo bookings

Old June 13th, 2013, 12:00 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip2cruise View Post
Royal's Serenade OTS 15 night Transatlantic(Barcelona to New Orleans) $734 total with Tax and fees for an Inside Gty.

Royal is currently running the Wow sale, so I was also able to get $200 OBC and just pay half deposit($225)

Oops the dates are Nov 27-Dec 12 its over Thanksgiving
You know, that Price was advertised by an internet cruise agency but when you called it wasn't available. Now it's back so I called RCCL. I was told I was getting the last opening and I thought the agent was b.s.'ing me but when I went to the RCCL website the single gty was removed so I did in fact get the last available space. Thanks for mentioning this. Now we have to wonder where in hell they'll be putting us.
RCCL: Brilliance (2), Vision (2), Enchantment (4), Voyager (2), Liberty (2), Navigator (2), Explorer (2), Majesty, Monarch(2), Jewel, Mariner, Independence, Freedom, Legend, Grandeur. Total: 25 cruises
Princess: Grand (2), Caribbean (2), Crown (2), Diamond, Dawn, Ruby. Total: 9 cruises
Cunard: QM2 (4). Total: 4 cruises
Renaissance: R2. Total: 1 cruise
Holland-America: Maasdam, Zaandam, Zuiderdam, Eurodam, Rotterdam. Total: 5 cruises
MSC-Divina. Total: 1 cruise
Grand Total: 92 cruises

Old June 13th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruise pup View Post
Now we have to wonder where in hell they'll be putting us.
LOL

Empress of the Sea ~ Oct 2005
Carnival Paradise ~ Sept 2007
Carnival Glory ~ Jan 2009
Carnival Fantasy ~ Aug 2009
Carnival Glory ~ June 2010
Carnival Freedom ~ Jan 2011
Carnival Liberty ~ Nov 2012
Oasis of the Seas ~ Oct 2013