On Grandeur now..

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Texas Gulf Coast
2,675 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Originally posted by joe6666
Will the parking fee be refunded?
I know the cruise line doesn't charge for parking. I'm just wondering if the cruise line will refund that fee.
We sailed the Splendour of the Seas when she was here in Galveston a few times and was aboard when she experienced a engine room fire. We were delayed returning to port about 8 hours.

The Port of Galveston didn't charge us for the extra time for parking and RCCL didn't reimburse our friends that changed air reservations home due to the delay.

Appreciate this was in 2004 and all the cruise industry has learned from past events.

.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
One hand on the starboard rail...
Maine
10,803 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by stupendousman8
How long do you think it would take to install new winches?
For the most part, the winches are steel, and will survive a fire quite well. There will be a need to clean out the burned grease from the bearings, and renew seals on the bearings, but for the most part, winch repair will not delay sailing. The problem will be getting carpet to match, and bulkhead and ceiling panels in the proper configuration and color, and things like the serving counters and bus stations fabricated in time. When a ship does a renovation in shipyard, this material has been ordered in advance, and is staged to the shipyard in advance. She may be ready in a week or so, but the decor may leave something to be desired.
Beautiful SW Florida
549 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by Dharma517
Hi guys : ) I'm back and full of Kalik! We have to drink off the ship due to prt regulation. Anyway...I know you have see the pics and the compensation package is generous. Flying home tomm...not sure what time. I'm thinking OCMD for the rest of my 15th wedding anniversary? Sad but it could have been much much worse. Ran into Sonny...a few times over the cruise...thinking of roasting weinies off his melted aft balcony : ). Sorry for all of those that will share in our interrupted vacation sadness on cruises to come. We are having a buffet on the pool deck since we can't use the MDR.
Hey Dharma.... safe travels home!

Let us know when you are home, safe and sound.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PREVIOUS CRUISES
Sun Viking (E. Caribbean & S. Caribbean), Vision of the Seas (E. Panama Canal & S. Caribbean),
Monarch of the Seas (S. Caribbean), Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas),
Freedom of the Seas (W. Caribbean), Brilliance of the Seas (W. Caribbean)
Crown Princess (S. Caribbean)

UPCOMING
Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 12/13/14
Wichita, Kansas
5,285 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
To join in with the amateur fire investigators, my biggest question in guesstimating Grandeur's return to service would be when the cruise line will be released to begin repairs -- i.e. when will the investigators be finished.

And in my purely amateur status [I haven't stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in recent memory, but I have watched Backdraft, and we had a get together around our neighbor's fire pit Friday night], it looks to me like it was a smoky fire, but not necessarily that major or even that hot. To me that makes sense given that some of the combustibles in the area would be ropes in various states of dry-ness. It would also explain why it took a relatively long time to extinguish.
West Virginia
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Originally posted by chengkp75
For the most part, the winches are steel, and will survive a fire quite well. There will be a need to clean out the burned grease from the bearings, and renew seals on the bearings, but for the most part, winch repair will not delay sailing. The problem will be getting carpet to match, and bulkhead and ceiling panels in the proper configuration and color, and things like the serving counters and bus stations fabricated in time. When a ship does a renovation in shipyard, this material has been ordered in advance, and is staged to the shipyard in advance. She may be ready in a week or so, but the decor may leave something to be desired.
This is what I'm thinking, absent major structural damage that we don't know about. There was no fuel other than things like rope/wood so the heat probably wasn't high enough to damage the steel - other than cosmetically.

I'd guess that the best decision business-wise would be to get the ship in good enough shape to sail without major inconvenience to their passengers. May mean that there may be a few areas aft that are off limits, or don't look as good as they would short term, but RC isn't going to throw away the millions they get in revenue for each cruise unless there's absolutely no other way.
Eastern Pacific
1,309 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by LuckiStac13*Majesty*
Why do you think they look unprofessional?
OMG....my apologies. I just looked at the photo again. The way the caption reads it labels the passengers (in casual clothes) as RCI corporate.
My mistake !

Unfortunately I've seen corporate people from another cruiseline dress in similar casual-wear while doing business, and it seemed to be an alarming trend.

Kudos to RCI corporate for being on the ball and taking care of business, asap.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
What's more impressive than getting upgraded ?
Not making a scene when you don't.
Eastern Pacific
1,309 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by Cushing985
I just looked at that picture for the first time. You do know that the guy in the suit is the CEO not the guy in the t-shirt? His wife looked nicely dressed.
Yes, I'm so sorry. The way the photo is displayed on my screen I can barely see the RCI people - they have their back to the camera and only the part of their shoulders is showing....the caption reads as if the people in the center of the photo were from RCI....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
What's more impressive than getting upgraded ?
Not making a scene when you don't.
338 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
Originally posted by stupendousman8
This is what I'm thinking, absent major structural damage that we don't know about. There was no fuel other than things like rope/wood so the heat probably wasn't high enough to damage the steel - other than cosmetically.

I'd guess that the best decision business-wise would be to get the ship in good enough shape to sail without major inconvenience to their passengers. May mean that there may be a few areas aft that are off limits, or don't look as good as they would short term, but RC isn't going to throw away the millions they get in revenue for each cruise unless there's absolutely no other way.
There is a lot of cosmetic stuff that they can do while at sea..I do not remember exactly which ship we were on, but the carpeting and seating in one of the lounges were replaced ovenight! I was up for an early stroll with an active toddler, and the crew was just dragging out the rolled-up old carpet and other crew were bringing bar stools and chairs! I don't know how long it took them to secure everything down, but the venue was ready that evening when we walked by again.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Elizabeth and Andrew
Lisa, Garth and Thomas
Cleveland area, Ohio
128 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by stupendousman8
What happens on Friday?
By Friday, RCI is supposed to announce their decision on future cruises. I'm on the 6/21 Grandeur and am waiting anxiously to hear any news.
Wichita, Kansas
5,285 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by joe6666
Other than the mooring lines on the drums, what is there to burn there?
Grease and other lubricants? Electrical insulation? Paper? Plastic? Flags?
North Royalton, OH
2,463 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Originally posted by ClevelandRocks!
By Friday, RCI is supposed to announce their decision on future cruises. I'm on the 6/21 Grandeur and am waiting anxiously to hear any news.
I hope you hear soon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Stacy

D+
489 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Hi All! Our flight departs Freeport at 4pm. We just went thru a shipwide immigration process in the Palladium theater that went very smoothly. We are taking a chartered flight into Baltimore and they are driving us to the port.

We have been eating in the WJ for all of our meals and even though given the circumstances it hasn't been that bad at all. I will NEVER EVER complain about an embarkation lunch again....lol.

We have decided to continue our vacation in OCMD and keep our toes in the sand and drinks in our hand.

Just some things that might be of interest: premium coffee has been free, and drink packages have been refunded in full.

It seems that other passengers that were closer to the fire had a much more harrowing experience such as our tablemates who were on deck 3 after very near where the fire started. They had no power in their cabin...barely heard the captain awaking us at 2:50am and had their stateroom attendent banging at the door and screaming to leave. They had no lights to gather any belongings and in fact some passengers were pulled out of their rooms physically in boxers shorts. Add no lights and smoke. We luckily had no real idea what was going on just a few staterooms down.

Anyway..My DH is starting behind me telling me to get off the computer. Best of luck all...time to think about our next cruise that we will get a nice chuck of change off of!
White Marsh, Maryland
2,396 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Dharma517
Hi All! Our flight departs Freeport at 4pm. We just went thru a shipwide immigration process in the Palladium theater that went very smoothly. We are taking a chartered flight into Baltimore and they are driving us to the port.

We have been eating in the WJ for all of our meals and even though given the circumstances it hasn't been that bad at all. I will NEVER EVER complain about an embarkation lunch again....lol.

We have decided to continue our vacation in OCMD and keep our toes in the sand and drinks in our hand.

Just some things that might be of interest: premium coffee has been free, and drink packages have been refunded in full.

It seems that other passengers that were closer to the fire had a much more harrowing experience such as our tablemates who were on deck 3 after very near where the fire started. They had no power in their cabin...barely heard the captain awaking us at 2:50am and had their stateroom attendent banging at the door and screaming to leave. They had no lights to gather any belongings and in fact some passengers were pulled out of their rooms physically in boxers shorts. Add no lights and smoke. We luckily had no real idea what was going on just a few staterooms down.

Anyway..My DH is starting behind me telling me to get off the computer. Best of luck all...time to think about our next cruise that we will get a nice chuck of change off of!
Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Linda & Lowell

Past Cruises:
Grandeur of the Seas B2B Jan 23 & Feb.4, 2017, Carnival Pride Sept. 25, 2016, Grandeur of the Seas B2B Jan.24 & Feb 3 2016,

Carnival Pride Sept 27, 2015, Grandeur of the Seas B2B Jan & Feb 2015 Carnival Pride Sept. 2014 Grandeur of Seas B2B Jan & Feb 2014,
Grandeur of Seas Oct. 2013 Carnival Pride Sept 2013,
Enchantment of the Seas B2B Jan. & Feb. 2013,Carnival Pride Oct. 2012,
Carnival Pride May 2012,Enchantment of Seas Feb 2012, Carnival Pride Sept. 2011, Carnival Pride May 2011, Freedom of Seas Jan. 2011,
Carnival Pride Aug 2010, Freedom of Seas Jan. 2010, Carnival Pride May 2009, Grandeur of Seas Oct 2008 Repositioning, Grandeur of Seas June 2007
Cleveland area, Ohio
128 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Originally posted by LuckiStac13*Majesty*
I hope you hear soon.
Thanks, Staci. I commented on your last Majesty report!

I'm not very good at waiting. I wish I could start making alternate plans now. Oh well, I'll get over it!
Middle of Tennessee
3,296 Posts
Joined May 2003
The winches used to bring ropes in/out of ship probably are operated ELECTRICALLY. Fire origin could have been an electrical. Or maybe crew was smoking out there. Or maybe some generators operated by diesel fuel. Crew doesn't just throw out those ropes!! (We have a small winch on our houseboat to bring a SeaDoo/jetski up out of water & it's operated electrically!!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017: Caribbean on Celebrity Summit from San Juan 1/7/17 with friends.
2016 COMPLETED: Panama Canal 1/4/16 on HA Zuiderdam; Western from Houston 1/24/16 on Caribbean Princess; California Coastal on Grand Princess from San Fran 4/17/16; Hawaii 10/5/16 on Crown Princess.
CRUISE HISTORY = 49 cruises (1 Transatlantic, 1 Rhine River, 1 Danube River, 5 Alaska, 4 Panama Canal, 1 California coastal, 1 Hawaii, 2 NewEngl/Canada & 33 Eastern/Western/Southern Caribbean) 434 days
23 on PRINCESS: Grand 5x; old Crown 3x, Caribbean 4x, Ruby 2x, Sun 2x, Dawn, Diamond, Ocean, Sea, Island, Coral, new Crown 2x -- we love the Elite perks! (197 days)
9 on HOLLAND: Nieuw Amsterdam, Statendam, Westerdam 3x, Volendam, Veendam 2x, Zuiderdam -- 3 Star (77 days)
7 on CELEBRITY: Millennium, Solstice, Silhouette, Century, Reflection, Summit 2x (48 days)
6 on ROYAL CARIB: Radiance 2x, Brilliance, Voyager of Seas, Independence of Seas 2x (55 days)
2 on VIKING: Sun (Rhine River Antwerp-Basel 14 days), Bragi (Danube River Budapest-Nurmberg 7 days)
1 on CARNIVAL Triumph (7 days)
Philly Suburbs, PA
1,776 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Originally posted by Dharma517
Hi All! Our flight departs Freeport at 4pm. We just went thru a shipwide immigration process in the Palladium theater that went very smoothly. We are taking a chartered flight into Baltimore and they are driving us to the port.

We have been eating in the WJ for all of our meals and even though given the circumstances it hasn't been that bad at all. I will NEVER EVER complain about an embarkation lunch again....lol.

We have decided to continue our vacation in OCMD and keep our toes in the sand and drinks in our hand.

Just some things that might be of interest: premium coffee has been free, and drink packages have been refunded in full.

It seems that other passengers that were closer to the fire had a much more harrowing experience such as our tablemates who were on deck 3 after very near where the fire started. They had no power in their cabin...barely heard the captain awaking us at 2:50am and had their stateroom attendent banging at the door and screaming to leave. They had no lights to gather any belongings and in fact some passengers were pulled out of their rooms physically in boxers shorts. Add no lights and smoke. We luckily had no real idea what was going on just a few staterooms down.

Anyway..My DH is starting behind me telling me to get off the computer. Best of luck all...time to think about our next cruise that we will get a nice chuck of change off of!
Have a safe flight back! You will be happy to know that it is supposed to be sunny and 80 for the rest of the week in Ocean City. Wanda
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RCI Sovereign 8/2002, 4/2003
RCI Voyager 8/2003
RCI Freedom 9/2006, 9/2008, 9/2013, 5/2015
RCI Mariner 5/2007
RCI Liberty 8/2009, 9/2010
RCI Independence 3/2010
Celebrity Equinox (Aqua Class) 4/2011, 4/2012, 4/2013, 11/2014, 11/2016, 5/2017
RCI Allure 9/2011
RCI Freedom (50th Birthday Family Cruise) 10/2012
Celebrity Silhouette 3/2014
Celebrity Reflection 3/2016


Atlanta, GA
581 Posts
Joined May 2003
Originally posted by Boatdrill
OMG....my apologies. I just looked at the photo again. The way the caption reads it labels the passengers (in casual clothes) as RCI corporate.
My mistake !

Unfortunately I've seen corporate people from another cruiseline dress in similar casual-wear while doing business, and it seemed to be an alarming trend.

Kudos to RCI corporate for being on the ball and taking care of business, asap.
Why would it be "alarming" if the CEO showed up in the Bahamas in casual attire?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature