Regent policy change

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Read Regent Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Regent Cruises Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:09 PM.
#21
Lake Tahoe area
937 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by wripro
TC2,

Regent makes a big deal about "Relax, it's all included." They market the complete experience which is why they include shore excursions, flights, hotel. etc. Now only those who book certain categories get it all. What will you say if next shore excursions will be included only for those in concierge or above? I'm not saying they're not entitled to do this just as they provide butlers for certain categories, It's their business to provide whatever they want. But let's not pretend that everyone is treated the same way.
Well, I've never stepped on a Regent ship and felt like there was any class distinction or people being treated differently based on their cabin category or number of times they've cruised with the line. However, I definitely felt that on my Crystal cruise last month. Little things like pre-ordering certain sodas and being told we'd have them, and then finding out that only penthouse passengers were "allowed" to have them, frequent cruisers being obviously given priority seating at the restaurants, etc. I'd have to say, based on my experiences on both lines, that Regent treats its customers much more equally than Crystal does, regardless of included shore excursions or anything else.
#22
9,697 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by TahoeTraveler
However, I definitely felt that on my Crystal cruise last month. Little things like pre-ordering certain sodas and being told we'd have them, and then finding out that only penthouse passengers were "allowed" to have them,
Hi Tami...again, wanted to clarify that there was never a guarantee that I would get the soda that my travel agent requested in writing (Crystal has a specific form that my TA filled out). The soda in question is not a soda that is stocked on the ship. The fact that I stayed in a penthouse on the cruise we were both on was not the reason I received the special requested diet ginger ale. I have had my travel agent make special requests in writing for non-stocked soda in the past and I was staying in the least expensive cabin on the Symphony. I'm sorry your request wasn't honored. In addition my TA stressed in the special request that the cruise was a "special" cruise for us and hoped that the request would be honored.

Nancy
#23
Lake Tahoe area
937 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Nancy, it honestly doesn't matter if the sodas were guaranteed or not; our perception was that there was a different treatment of guests based on their cabin category or status with Crystal. It didn't help in the way we were treated by the reception personnel when we asked for the soda (something I did not mention in any of my reviews, because I hoped it was just an isolated incident). The bottom line is that if we as passengers felt that "class distinction" was there (and Mike, who is the easiest going guy I have ever met...he'd have to be to be married to me!!...was frustrated by it as well), that is all that counts. Real or perceived, for us it existed, and definitely affected our opinion of Crystal.
#24
9,697 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by TahoeTraveler
Nancy, it honestly doesn't matter if the sodas were guaranteed or not; our perception was that there was a different treatment of guests based on their cabin category or status with Crystal. It didn't help in the way we were treated by the reception personnel when we asked for the soda (something I did not mention in any of my reviews, because I hoped it was just an isolated incident). The bottom line is that if we as passengers felt that "class distinction" was there (and Mike, who is the easiest going guy I have ever met...he'd have to be to be married to me!!...was frustrated by it as well), that is all that counts. Real or perceived, for us it existed, and definitely affected our opinion of Crystal.
Tami, your own opinion is what matters most...I was not trying to argue with you. Glad that you were able to sail Crystal and realize that Regent fits you much better.

Nancy
#25
166 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Am I mistaken and not wanting to add fuel to a Regent fire, but in the included shore excursions are now not some of the "fancy" ones (read extra cost) only available to conc. level and higher. Not that I care on the next 2 Regent cruises we have booked, the tours I want are all the "regular" ones anyways..Again..I was booking things fast for the October one when our window opened so i might be in error..

And a comment about sodas and not specifically stating the policy clearly. On HAL they have a 50.00 soda card you can get for 25.00. Seems like a decent deal, if you preorder this card. This time and knowing HAL I read the fine print carefully. When I got on board and ordered a soda , expecting a can, I got a glass with 4 to 5 oz of soda and the rest filled with crappy ice...Complaining to the restaurant manager got no where and he just stated over and over again that is policy so I challenged him to show me...well, he could not ..so after a long match of well you fill in the verb, I finally got a refund and purchased the "correct" card for 50.00 costing 50.00..My point is times are a changing folks

As stockholders demand bigger profits and things just plain cost more this move does not surprise me. All cruise lines are beginning to nickel and dime you to death. Regent compared to the others we cruise is still a better deal, IMHO..

And personally I prefer Regent to "take care of me" from the minute I step onto the plane until I get home...I lead a stressful enough life and having to choose hotels planes, devaition etc etc, is just one thing I don't need. Perhaps when I retire, then okay I can fiddle with things. If that means I have to pay a bit more for conc. level, well as much as my pocketbook will hate it , so be it.
#26
Washington State
21,815 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Really interesting information about Crystal and HAL. Must strongly agree that being taken care from the moment you walk on board the ship is the best, most relaxing experience I can have (even if I'm paying for excursions I don't use). This does not negate our wonderful Oceania experience -- it is just a different way to cruise and works for people who prefer not to feel like they are paying for things they do not utilize.
#27
Greenville, SC
1,585 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Well, my wife and I use Regent Air. We take the Regent excursions. We drink the Regent booze. We often stay in Regent hotels...

In short, we take advantage of the "one check, one vacation" mentality, and that suits us. Could we possibly save some money doing some things on our own? Sure. But as DRCANDON said, it's nice (and less stressful) to have to jiggle the details. So Regent's business model seems to suit us right now - hope they don't mess with it too much...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past cruises:
RSSC Navigator, Mediterranean, July 2009
RSSC Voyager, Baltic, July 2010
Queen Mary 2, Caribbean, December 2010
RSSC Navigator, Alaska, May 2011
RSSC Mariner, Mediterranean, August 2013
RSSC Voyager, Med/Iberia/UK, May 2014 Canx
RSSC Mariner, Mediterranean, July/August 2015
RSSC Navigator, Barcelona-Haifa, July 2016
RSSC Explorer, Barcelona-Venice, April 2017

Upcoming cruises:


#28
Houston
3,173 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by boblerm
This is not making any sense to me. The difference in cruise fares for a 10 day voyage between the lowest concierge level cabins and one level below that is typically $300-400. For the voyages after the new policy takes place, it is still $300-400. Snce you get about that much in credit if you forego the pre cruise hotel, that means that the price for concierge and one level below concierge is the same. Am I missing something?
Kind of surprised that no one picked up on the above post. If boblerm is correct, it appears that Regent is not reducing the below concierge pricing to remove the pre cruise hotel costs and thus is increasing their profit in what could be called a deceptive manner.

Seems when Regent includes a new perk like when the hotel became included, prices are increased to cover the "free" (included) costs but, when the perk is removed, the price stays the same.

While Regent has every right to set their pricing, we the customers can certainly vote with our checkbook.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave

Contact Dave
#29
CLEVELAND, OHIO USA
128 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
I think it all comes down to a preference for an "all-inclusive" fare, where you don't have to give them your card for petty charges. SANDALS Resorts have it right, as does DREAMS and a few other upscale all-inclusives. Give guests a great experience by including amenities that most of us want and will pay for and they will come back for a more stress-free environment. If Regent and Crystal and the upscale lines start cutting back and excluding items in the lower categories, cruisers will just go back to the midpriced lines like Princesss, HAL and Celebrity for a similar experience at a lower price.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Frank C.
Carnival Ecstasy 4/95
Celebrity Millenium 4/01
Celebrity Infinity 4/02
RCCL Majesty of Sea 6/04
Celebrity Summit 2/05
Diamond Princess 7/11
#30
Washington State
21,815 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by FPJC03
I think it all comes down to a preference for an "all-inclusive" fare, where you don't have to give them your card for petty charges. SANDALS Resorts have it right, as does DREAMS and a few other upscale all-inclusives. Give guests a great experience by including amenities that most of us want and will pay for and they will come back for a more stress-free environment. If Regent and Crystal and the upscale lines start cutting back and excluding items in the lower categories, cruisers will just go back to the midpriced lines like Princesss, HAL and Celebrity for a similar experience at a lower price.
I agree that it comes down to preference. I do not believe Regent would ever cut back their onboard all-inclusivity (tips, drinks, etc.). The areas they can cut back on are all provided by outside contractors and do not affect the onboard experience.

If you look back to just over a year ago, Crystal was still a luxury cruise line but was not all-inclusive. As some posters have mentioned before, all-inclusive does not mean luxury (although, at the present time, Crystal, Regent, SeaDream Yacht Club, Silversea and Seabourn are all-inclusive). Speaking for myself, we sailed Regent before it was all-inclusive and would continue to do so if it were not. Going to Princess, HAL or Celebrity is not an option for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tolerance and Patience are two things we all need..........
Total nights: Regent = 365 / Silversea = 36 / Oceania = 26 (Upcoming 84 nights: 1 Explorer, 2 Voyager and 2 Mariner)

Sailings per ship: Explorer (4), Voyager (11), Mariner (9), Navigator (3), PG (1), Silver Spirit (1), Silver Whisper (1), Silver Shadow (1), Oceania Riviera (2)

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Barcelona - Miami / Cape Town – Rio (2 sailings) / Cape Town - Cape Town / E. & W. Caribbean (4 sailings) / CHRISTENING CRUISE - Explorer - Monte Carlo-Monte Carlo / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Istanbul / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona 2 sailings) / Miami-Miami (Amazon) / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo
#31
Charlotte, NC
708 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by rallydave
Seems when Regent includes a new perk like when the hotel became included, prices are increased to cover the "free" (included) costs but, when the perk is removed, the price stays the same.
Agree kudos to boblerm for noticing.

It is a generally accepted hospitality business practice.
Add "free" or reduced add-ons when times are lean but never discount your product below floor X or risk devaluing the product and "luxury" perception of the "value" of the product and thus diminishing the luxury price premium.

When times improve, remove the add-on and keep the price the same.
Easy price increase without an easily perceived price increase.
#32
USA
164 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by ededmd

When times improve, remove the add-on and keep the price the same.
Easy price increase without an easily perceived price increase.
What is most disturbing is that in this case, the entire price increase comes at the expense of those sailing below concierge level, since they lose the add-on with no price decrease. Those sailing in higher category rooms retain the add-on with no price increase.
#34
AZ
362 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
I read all these post of a perceived disappointment with particular cruise lines. Cost increases, class system, service, shore excursions, on Regent, Oceania, Crystal, Etc. You do know that you have an option to cruise with who ever you choose. Why not pick out the one that you are happy with and refrain from dissing one that does not meet your expectations? Sail with a particular cruise line, express dissatisfaction, move on to the next with the same complaints. Some people are never happy. I for one, am overjoyed to wake up the next day to further my life experiences, either cruising, or just watching the sun rise. A lot of you should do the same
#35
Toronto, Ottawa Valley ON, and Dunedin FL
14,186 Posts
Joined May 2001
Originally posted by Mjflowers
I read all these post of a perceived disappointment with particular cruise lines. Cost increases, class system, service, shore excursions, on Regent, Oceania, Crystal, Etc. You do know that you have an option to cruise with who ever you choose. Why not pick out the one that you are happy with and refrain from dissing one that does not meet your expectations? Sail with a particular cruise line, express dissatisfaction, move on to the next with the same complaints. Some people are never happy. I for one, am overjoyed to wake up the next day to further my life experiences, either cruising, or just watching the sun rise. A lot of you should do the same
You're right, we all should feel very lucky to have these choices, and to be able to enjoy life.

But some of us have a favourite cruise line, and don't lit to change. Those changes can be increased prices, reduced service, changes in perks, food, whatever--and lots of folks don't want to change cruiselines. I for one am sorry that Regent has become so expensive, and that they seem to find every excuse to raise prices, providing questionable perks, then taking them away from certain cabin classes. As someone who rarely sails in R's concierge and above, I see this latest one as a net increase in price.

That being said, I have already moved on, I hope to Oceania--won't know for a few months. Stay tuned.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
⚓ Upcoming Cruises:
Paul Gaugin Cook Islands & Society Islands, October 2017

Azamara Journey, Norwegian Fjords, Edinburgh - Copenhagen, July 2018
⚓Past Cruises:

Seven Seas Mariner, Miami-Lima, January 2017
Azamara Journey, Rome-Rome, September 2016
Uniworld Egypt, River Tosca, October 2015
Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2014
Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
Radisson Diamond June, Black Sea 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010
#36
St. Louis, MO
92 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Regent used the free pre-night hotel to draw in passengers. In 2004 when we were sailing with Silverseas, they also use to give you a free pre-night hotel, which they no longer do on any catagory....Silverseas did not drop their prices, they dropped the pre-night. The cruise lines work to give you the best service and products they can. Sometimes it comes down to what they must do to give you the best service on board, .. This of course is just my opinion....
#37
Houston
3,173 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by glo3479
Regent used the free pre-night hotel to draw in passengers. In 2004 when we were sailing with Silverseas, they also use to give you a free pre-night hotel, which they no longer do on any catagory....Silverseas did not drop their prices, they dropped the pre-night. The cruise lines work to give you the best service and products they can. Sometimes it comes down to what they must do to give you the best service on board, .. This of course is just my opinion....
You are absolutely correct as Regent can do pricing and amenities as they choose. Appears that Concierge Class has simply added an additional amenity, the included pre-cruise nite however, if they in fact have not changed any of the rates, with the highest non-concierge suite the same or almost the same price as the lowest concierge suite, looks like Regent may have some unintended consequences in that people will book the lowest concierge rather than the highest non-concierge and while Regent will fill more concierge suites, there may be more empty non-concierge suites.

The consensus on this board regarding the creating of concierge was to fill those higher priced identical suites and this change may create issues filling some non-concierge suites?? Of course Regent can do as they choose but, perhaps they will realize this fupah and simply raise the prices on concierge?? Who knows but, unintended consequences arise when management fails to consider all of the eventualities.

Only time will tell if this was a good or bad change for customers or Regent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave

Contact Dave
#38
CA, USA
13,668 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Mjflowers,

I appreciate your attitude that we are all lucky to be able to sail on such wonderful cruise lines. BUT this site was created so that we can all discuss, praise and yes, criticize cruise lines in order to share our experiences and knowledge. Just as you suggest that if we do not like a certain cruise line we should move on, if you do not like certain posts you can do the same.
#39
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
I tried this week to get on the Greek Isle cruise departing Athens on July 8, 2013. I was told the pre-hotel night plus transfer was unavailable since they used up their block of rooms. Now I read in the Terms and Conditions that this will happen in 2014 but they are trying to impose this on me this year! I am a Silver traveler and the cruise is not filled at all. Why would they turn me down? And they did NOT offer me credit for the hotel and transfer. I will be a solo traveler since hubby doesn't want to go and I relied on the transfer and hotel.
This is very poor public relations and my travel agent, plus others I would be joining on this cruise say they will not travel on Regent again given my shoddy treatment.
#40
AZ
362 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by wripro
Mjflowers,

I appreciate your attitude that we are all lucky to be able to sail on such wonderful cruise lines. BUT this site was created so that we can all discuss, praise and yes, criticize cruise lines in order to share our experiences and knowledge. Just as you suggest that if we do not like a certain cruise line we should move on, if you do not like certain posts you can do the same.
I do criticize when appropriate, and praise when deserved. I read posts for their sole content, opinions. From these I usually get a few chuckles As you, I bounce around from cruise line to cruise line on CC. It makes for great intertainment.