Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old December 25th, 2008, 08:06 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Friends of Dorothy Meetings on Celebrity

We just got off Celebrity's Century. It was a 4-night cruise. The first evening, we showed up at the martini bar for the Friends of Dorothy meeting. There were two officers there. When my partner asked one of them about the Friends of Dorothy meeting, he said he did not know her. He was clueless.

Eventually another gay couple came to the martini bar. We talked with them for a few minutes before heading back to our cabin to get ready for dinner. We did not see anyone else show up.

On our Princess cruises, the GLBT meetings have been hosted in various venues that are not being used for other purposes. There's always been a staff member there to welcome people and get the conversation going. They've either ordered drinks for everyone or brought along a couple of bottles of champagne.

Perhaps on longer cruises Celebrity's announcement of a time and place to meet works, but I missed having a quiet place to meet where you knew why everyone was there. We couldn't tell if there was anyone else there for FOD or not.

Old December 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Solstice

On the maiden voyage there was a FOD gathering posted every day in the ships schedule. Turn out was great and the crew treated all very well.
My hats off to Celebrity, especially with all the hectic issues on a maiden voyage.
I have always liked Princess and will continue to sail them, but I think Celebrity is up a notch. Princess changed after they were bought by Carnival Corp.....and I think the bar was lowered. But in these hard economic times, just being able to cruise is a blessing and just to be on board a ship is enough for me. Lets hope ships are not laid up due to the economy.
Happy holidays to all
[size=1]On the horizon: ........ (#78) NCL Getaway 29 Nov 2014,(#79) NCL Sun Mar 1, 2015, (#80)NCL Escape 14 Nov 2015, (81) NCL Star Feb 21 2016.

Old December 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoherb View Post
We just got off Celebrity's Century. It was a 4-night cruise. The first evening, we showed up at the martini bar for the Friends of Dorothy meeting. There were two officers there. When my partner asked one of them about the Friends of Dorothy meeting, he said he did not know her. He was clueless.

Eventually another gay couple came to the martini bar. We talked with them for a few minutes before heading back to our cabin to get ready for dinner. We did not see anyone else show up.

On our Princess cruises, the GLBT meetings have been hosted in various venues that are not being used for other purposes. There's always been a staff member there to welcome people and get the conversation going. They've either ordered drinks for everyone or brought along a couple of bottles of champagne.

Perhaps on longer cruises Celebrity's announcement of a time and place to meet works, but I missed having a quiet place to meet where you knew why everyone was there. We couldn't tell if there was anyone else there for FOD or not.
I like the idea of being in a separate space, perhaps a less busy bar. On our last cruise we all met up in the Martini bar on Celebrity's Summit and when we sat down, we didn't know who was there for the FOD and who wasn't. Fortunately, someone dragged us over to the proper location.

Old December 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity Solstice

We just returned from the 12/7-12/14 cruise on the Solstice. The Friends of Dorothy was listed in every daily program for 7:30pm (in between 1st and 2nd sitting dinner sittings). The first couple of nights it was in Michael's Club but was moved to the Martini Bar on the 3rd night for the remainder of the cruise. Although Michael's Club was a more private lounge, the piano player was rather arrogant to anyone that was talking when he was playing (I thought that was the purpose of a piano bar....) so the atmosphere was just not appropriate for any type of social gathering. After a few days onboard, the Martini Bar became the defacto gay bar after about 10:30pm until closing.

Old December 25th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Although Michael's Club was a more private lounge, the piano player was rather arrogant to anyone that was talking when he was playing (I thought that was the purpose of a piano bar"

Yeah...he did throw a bit of a "hissy fit". You would have thought it was a theatre.
Norway...1983, Sovereign Of The Seas...1993, Zenith...1994, Sovereign Of The Seas...1998, Explorer Of The Seas...2002, Norwegian Dawn...2003, Celebrity Infinity...2004, Celebrity Constellation...2005, Zuiderdam...2006, Celebrity Solstice...2008, Norwegian Star...2009, Sapphire Princess...Apr 2011, Grand Princess...Feb 2012, Norwegian Dawn...Oct 2012, Oasis Of The Seas...Feb 2014, Grand Princess...Aug 2014, Allure Of The Seas...Jan 2015

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 26th, 2008, 02:11 AM
10,000+ Club

I think they walk a fine line with FOD. If it's too secluded, some say that it's homophobic (how dare they hide us away like that!) but for others, if you're too mixed in with the mainstream, they hate that (how was anyone supposed to tell who was there for the party!).

In any event, Celebrity seems to go no further than listing the time and the place in the daily paper. It's up to the passengers to make their own friends (which I prefer but I can see why some prefer a facilitated gathering). I understand that Princess has an officer (or a member of the activity staff) there and they supply some bubbles but I think that is the exception in terms of the mainstream lines.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Solstice Alaska May 31

We're aboard the Solstice the first week of June in Alaska.
We'd be happy to meet other Friends of Dorothy at the Martini Bar!
We've only sailed on Celebrity when chartered by Atlantis before.
Tom Garrison and Larry Sullivan

Old May 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default We'll be with you on the 31st!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarrikc View Post
Hello Tom and Larry -- we'll be on the Solstice with you. I'm Elbert (uncleelbie) and I'll be with my partner, Barry, and his mom and dad Phyllis and Gordon. We've been on Celebrity a few times -- we really like them. --- Elbert

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarrikc View Post
Four friends (2 college classmates and their partners) and I will also be on the same cruise. We definitely plan to spend time at the martini bar and FOD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sailed Cruises:
Carnival Destiny - 1/17/2013
Carnival Dream - 6/9/2012
Carnival Ecstasy - 1/12/2012
Carnival Pride - 6/5/2011
Carnival Legend - 10/31/2006

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schplinky View Post
In any event, Celebrity seems to go no further than listing the time and the place in the daily paper. It's up to the passengers to make their own friends (which I prefer but I can see why some prefer a facilitated gathering). I understand that Princess has an officer (or a member of the activity staff) there and they supply some bubbles but I think that is the exception in terms of the mainstream lines.
This represents a policy change for Celebrity. They were not and didn't put the Friends of Dorothy gathering in the Daily but it was out by the guest services desk saying the time and location. It was at the Martini Bar on the Millennium. The only hosted Friends of Dorothy I've ever had was on Princess. The other cruise lines you see in my signature have never hosted ones including NCL.
Norwegian Dawn 8/31/12, Norwegian Dawn 1/4/12,
Norwegian Spirit 8/28/11**, Norwegian EPIC 3/12/11, Norwegian Jewel 1/2/11
Norwegian Spirit 5/10, Norwegian Jewel 3/10 , Norwegian Sky 1/10, Norwegian Jewel 1/10,
Carnival Destiny 5/05 ,
Norwegian Spirit 5/09, Celebrity Solstice 3/09*, Crown Princess 1/09,
Norwegian Dream 5/08, Norwegian Sun 1/08, Norwegian Jewel 5/07,
Caribbean Princess 9/06, Star Princess 10/05**, Celebrity Millennium 8/04*,
Celebrity Millennium 1/04*, RCCL Splendour OTS 8/03*, Coral Princess 4/03, NCL Dawn 1/03*, Grand Princess 5/01
*denotes Atlantis voyage
**denotes voyage impacted by tropical weather

Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:29 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinMaterial View Post
This represents a policy change for Celebrity. They were not and didn't put the Friends of Dorothy gathering in the Daily but it was out by the guest services desk saying the time and location. It was at the Martini Bar on the Millennium. The only hosted Friends of Dorothy I've ever had was on Princess. The other cruise lines you see in my signature have never hosted ones including NCL.

You're commenting on something I said 5 years ago which was correct when I said it. You are right that they don't put it in the daily anymore, which is a shame. They don't do it for any group (red hats, bible studies, ma jhongg, the gays) but I still think it's a loss.

We had hosted events on Princess, as you say, as well. I don't really need a host/free drink but I do like when it's in the daily.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Anderson Island, Washington (Southernmost Island In Puget Sound)
Default Friends of Dorothy

Quote:
You're commenting on something I said 5 years ago which was correct when I said it. You are right that they don't put it in the daily anymore, which is a shame. They don't do it for any group (red hats, bible studies, ma jhongg, the gays) but I still think it's a loss.

We had hosted events on Princess, as you say, as well. I don't really need a host/free drink but I do like when it's in the daily.
I sailed on the Celebrity Reflection Eastbound Transatlantic a few weeks ago (Apr 20, 2013--May 6, 2013) and the meeting WAS published in the daily newsletter. In fact during the cruise one of the gang got the cruise director to change the daily listing to "LGBT Get-Together" as it was felt that this was more open, inclusive and contemporary in 2013!

We had a very fun collection of people at the events, and the crew couldn't have been nicer to us.

I am sailing back to back on Celebrity Millennium (Northbound Alaska then Southbound Alaska) in less than 2 weeks (Jun 6--21, 2013) and will see how it's handled there.

Old June 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile end of march 2014 on the century, coastal pacific

Dutch guys living in Spain hoping to meet other gays on cruise mentioned above. Hope to meet lots of people in martini bar. Last year good experiences on the Eclipse.

Jeff and Peter

Old June 9th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

It's like were in the closet again. We just have to know the places to meet.
Carnival Holiday 09-Nov-91, Celebrity Meridian 27-Nov-92, Costa Classica 27-Mar-93, NCL Norway 19-Nov-94, Carnival Ecstasy 13-Apr-96, RCL Monarch 18-Mar-97, Celebrity Horizon 14-Nov-97, Carnival Elation 24-Apr-98, Princess Regal 18-Nov-98, Carnival Destiny 09-May-99, RCL Splendour 29-Nov-99, Celebrity Galaxy 22-Apr-00, Princess Grand 12-Nov-00 , Costa Atlantica 15-Apr-01 , Celebrity Summit 12-Nov-01, RCL Legend 06-May-02, Carnival Spirit 01-Apr-03, RCL Radiance 09-Nov-03, RCL Radiance 16-Nov-03, RCL Jewel 19-Apr-04 RCL Jewel 28-Oct-04, RCL Jewel 06-Nov-04, RCL Majesty 18-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 22-Apr-05, RCL Majesty 25-Apr-05, Celebrity Constellation 19-Nov-05, Celebrity Constellation 26-Nov-05, RCL Enchantment 05-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 10-Dec-05, RCL Enchantment 15-Dec-05, NCL Majesty 28-May-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Radiance 03-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 09-Dec-06, RCL Radiance 25-Nov-06, RCL Granduar 08-Apr-07, RCL Granduar 27-Apr-07, RCL Jewel 25-Nov-07, RCL Jewel 01-Dec-07, RCL Vision 02-Mar-08, RCL Monarch 10-Mar-08, RCL Mariner 02-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 09-Dec-08, RCL Mariner 16-Dec-08, RCL Jewel 02-Mar-09, RCL Jewel 13-Mar-09, Crown Princess 21- Nov-09, Costa Atlantica 19-Dec-09, RCL Mariner 21-Mar-2010, NCL Dawn 02-May-2010, RCL Freedom 26-Sept-2010, Celebrity Solstice 28-Nov-2010, Carnival Valor 16-Jan-2011, Ruby Princess 13-Feb-2011, RCL Serenade 19-Mar-2011, Sapphire Princess 30-Apr-2011, RCL Allure 27-Nov-2011, Grand Princess 17-Dec-2011, Carnival Legend 08-Jan-2012, RCL Freedom 26-Feb-2012, RCL Voyager 24-Mar-2012, RCL Serenade 03-Oct-2012, Carnival Freedom 03-Nov-2012, RCL Brilliance 01-Dec-2012, Holland American Westerdam 15-Dec 2012, RCL Adventure 06-Jan-2013, Carnival Liberty 09-Feb-2013,Carnival Ecstasy 16-Mar-2013, Carnival Ecstasy 21-Mar-2013, Caribbean, Princess 12-Apr-2013, RCL Jewel 30-Nov-2013, RCL Jewel 07-Dec-2013 RCL Adventure 15-Dec-2013, RCL Radiance 19-Jan-2014, RCL Radiance 27-Jan-2014

Old June 9th, 2013, 10:39 AM
10,000+ Club

My views on the parties has evolved, too. I think that as the LGBT community goes mainstream (which seems accelerating as I type), asking cruise lines to give us a "safe space" to meet each other seems less reasonable.

Old June 9th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
My views on the parties has evolved, too. I think that as the LGBT community goes mainstream (which seems accelerating as I type), asking cruise lines to give us a "safe space" to meet each other seems less reasonable.
Think of it this way - the cruise line arranges for space (that would be unused otherwise) for groups to meet - Kiwanis members, red hat ladies, LGBT, whatever. They make some extra money off the bar tabs and those people get to meet similar people that they might have not otherwise bumped into. Everyone wins. I don't see what's unreasonable about this.

Sailed:
HAL Eurodam - Baltics
Norwegian Getaway - E. Caribbean
Norwegian Getaway
- Inaugural CTN
(Pics)
Celebrity Reflection - E. Caribbean
Uniworld SS Antoinette - Rhine Christmas Markets
NCL Breakaway
- Bermuda
NCL Breakaway - Inaugural CTN (Review w/ pics)
Uniworld River Beatrice - Danube (Review w/ pics)
NCL Epic
- E. Caribbean
NCL Star - Bermuda
Ruby Princess - Grand Mediterranean
(Review w/ pics)
NCL Epic
- W. Mediterranean (Review w/ pics)
Crown Princess - S. Caribbean (Review w/ pics)
NCL Gem - Bahamas (Review w/ pics)

Old June 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Nor do I. I just think that there are folks who get really bent out of shape when it doesn't happen and claim a line isn't gay friendly unless it throws them a party. I guess my thinking on the issue has evolved to the point where I think they show they value my business by treating me like any other group.

Old June 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fod

Hello all,

I was on the Equinox for May 17th and the FOD was at the Molecular Bar every night of the cruise (12 night). There were usually between 6 and 12 guests on any particular evening, but some guys did not come even tough they knew about it.

Off on the Century for Alaska on August 18th, hope a few guys are on board that sailing. :-)

Cheers
Todd
Millennium - Sept 28, 2014 - 14 day Japan
Silver Galapagos - April 26, 2014 - 7 day
M/S Expedition - Jan 29, 2014 - 11 day Antarctica
AMALotus - Nov 26, 2013 - 14 day Vietnam & Cambodia
Paul Gauguin - Sept 7, 2013 - Tahiti
Century - Aug 18, 2013 - 7 day Alaska
Equinox - May 17, 2013 - 12 day Med
Seabourn Legend - Dec 10, 2012 - 11 day Carib
RSSC Voyager - Oct 31, 2012 - 14 day Istanbul to Luxor
Azamara Quest - May 29, 2012 - Nice to Rome 4
Freedom of the Seas - March 11, 2012 - 7 day East Carib
Seabourn Pride - Aug 22, 2011 - 12 day Baltic
Xpedition - May 13, 2011 - 10 day Galapagos
Azamara Quest - March 17, 2011 - 12 day China Coastal
Eurodam - Dec 26, 2010 - 7 day - West Carib
RSSC Mariner - May 4, 2010 - 10 day Adriatic Sea
Brilliance of the Seas - March 22, 2010 - 7 day Middle East
Equinox - Jan 15, 2010 - 10 day Carib
Oasis of the Seas - Nov 27, 2009 - 2 day cruise to nowhere
Prinsendam - Circle UK - July 3, 2009 - 14
Legend of the Seas - SE Asia - Feb 28, 2009 - 14
Regent Paul Gauguin - Tahiti & the Cook Islands - Sept 27, 2008 - 14
Navigator of the Seas - West Med - May 15, 2008 - 5
Navigator of the Seas - West Med - May 10, 2008 - 4
Navigator of the Seas - West Med out of the UK - July 28, 07 - 14
Liberty of the Seas - Pre Inagural - May 4, 2007 - 2
Summit - Panama Canal - March 31, 2007 - 14
Prinsendam - West Med - August 14, 2006 - 16
Regent Mariner - Alaska - May 24, 2006 - 7
Mariner of the Seas - West Carib - Jan. 29, 2006 - 7
Serenade of the Seas - Alaska - Aug. 21, 2005 - 7
Prinsendam - Black Sea - June 4, 2005 - 14
Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - April 29, 2005 - 4
Infinity - Vancouver - May 28, 2004 - 2
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska - June 8, 2002 - 7
Rhapsody of the Seas - West Carib - Jan. 19, 2002 - 7
Pacific Princess - Holy Land - Dec 1999 - 14
Century - Eastern Carib - Nov. 7, 1998 - 7
Royal Princess - Baltic - June 1998 - 14
Sun Dream - Western Med. - 1996 - 7

Old June 15th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Actually we were just on Azamara Quest and they listed the LGBT meetings in the daily.

12/2016 Azamara Quest
12/2015 Celebrity Equinox
4/2015 Azamara Quest B2B
3/20152015 Azamara Quest[/size]
12/2015 Celebrity Eclipse
12/2014 Celebrity Summit

So fortunate to have been on these past Cruises & Great Memories:

8/2014 Azamara Quest B2B
8/2014 Azamara Quest
6/2014 Celebrity Infinity
2/2014 Azamara Quest
12/2013 Celebrity Reflection
10/2013 Celebrity Summit
6/2013 Azamara Quest B2B2B
5/2013 Azamara Quest B2B
5/2013 Azamara Quest
4/2013 Celebrity Century
1/2013 Celebrity Equinox
8/2012 Azamara Quest B2B
7/2012 Azamara Quest
6/2012 Celebrity Millennium
2/2012 Celebrity Millennium
7/2011 Celebrity Constellation
1/2011 Azamara Quest
7/2010 Azamara Journey
6/2010 Celebrity Xpedition
12/2009 Celebrity Century
8/2009 Celebrity Equinox
7/2009 Celebrity Infinity
4/2009 Brilliance of the Seas
12/2008 Celebrity Solstice
8/2008 Celebrity Galaxy
2/2008 Azamara Journey
12/2007 Celebrity Millennium
6/2007 Celebrity Millennium
12/2006 Celebrity Infinity
8/2006 Celebrity Century

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity Reflection June 28th, 2013

We are heading to Italy next week for this 10 day cruise and can not wait. Hoping there will be some other interesting LGBTQ folks to chat too. Here's hoping the Reflection crew post and host a FOD space!