Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think checking towels in/out is very easy. My one recommendation, if you want to be one of the 1st groups off the ship at a port, is to get them the night before. Once the ship has docked the towel line at the pool can be pretty long.

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Absolutely no way we'd bring our own!
So would NOT enjoy having to deal with wet and sometimes sandy beach towels.

LuLu
~~~~

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

My cabinmate packed a beach towel for our recent Brilliance cruise and took it with her every day on shore excursions, even after it started getting funky...

But then came that excursion on a small boat, where she hung her trusty towel up somewhere on deck to dry. When it blew off, she got to wish it bon voyage as it gently floated away across the water.

After that, she was using ship's towels.

I'd hate to sacrifice precious suitcase space for a towel I wouldn't want to use after a few days of it soaking up seawater and sunscreen.
QM2 2008; Empress of the Seas 2007; Norwegian Majesty 2006; MSC Lirica 2005; Carnival Victory, Zuiderdam (2X) 2004; Voyager of the Seas (2X) 2003; Explorer of the Seas, Carnival Victory 2002
Majesty of the Seas 1994; SS Norway (23X) 1988-2003

Old June 26th, 2013, 05:02 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mek View Post
I think the best thing to use on the beach is a queen size sheet. It's large, cool on the skin, dries quickly, and doesn't take up much room in a suitcase or beach bag.
This is what we use when we go to the beaches at home! I agree that it works great!

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska_planner View Post
nice! thanks for the link! i might get a couple of those for the cruise.
While this towel is very compact it does take up a small amount of space in either your luggage or carry on. I don't conceder it any big deal but that is me. It is also a good idea to take some cleaning product like CampSuds to wash it and any other clothing item for that matter. You can buy CampSuds at most camping/outdoor store. Wal-Mart also sell a generic version. CampSuds is a concentrated cleaning detergent many campers use. The 2oz version is perfect for travel.

If you mostly go on snorkel trips you may also want to consider those towels you see Olympic divers use. They are not much bigger than a wash cloth but they do dry you off. I have a Speedo Sports Towel also and it is shammy like.

Shak
http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-753528-...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-Ca...words=campsuds

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We usually use ship towels, but last cruise we saw some very cool, reasonable beach towels in St thomas and bought them to use on our next beach day. It was nice having larger, thicker ones and we had towels to bring home!!! They were not hard to pack, not any more sandy than our beach shoes... Dried nicely on our balcony.

7 days on Carnival
3 days on The Big Red Boat

. Diamond Plus

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin RN View Post
We usually use ship towels, but last cruise we saw some very cool, reasonable beach towels in St thomas and bought them to use on our next beach day. It was nice having larger, thicker ones and we had towels to bring home!!! They were not hard to pack, not any more sandy than our beach shoes... Dried nicely on our balcony.
Yuck. I wonder how many people pawed over those towels in the store before you used them. We stick with the ship towels that hopefully, have been laundered with really hot water.

Old June 26th, 2013, 10:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCruise717 View Post
We just sailed on the Oasis a few weeks ago and in Labadee, they did have a "towel return station" on the pier before we got back on the ship. It was nice to have right there, but it did clog up the pier more than usual towards the end of the day. I think RCCL would like to have these stations but logistically, it might not work for every port day. Just my own thoughts
We were on Allure last week and they also had the towel return as you boarded in each port. However, we never used it as we wanted to trade in our wet ones for dry and you could not do that there, only return. Maybe they are starting to listening to us!

We are in the camp of check out at the beginning of the cruise and swap out for clean dry ones as needed. No reason to take up my luggage space. Yes it does take a bit more effort, but mot enough to make it a hassle.
Anthem of the Seas - 3 day - 3/16

Previous (75 nights and counting)-
RC Vision of the Seas - Western - 8/14 ** RC Allure of the Seas - Western - 6/13 ** RC Allure of the Seas - Eastern - 6/12 ** RC Navigator of the Seas - Med - 8/11 ** RC Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 8/09 ** NCL Gem - Cruise to Nowhere - 1/09 ** RC Freedom of the Seas - Eastern - 11/08 ** RC Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - 6/08 ** RC Mariner of the Seas - Western - 6/07 ** Carnival Glory - Exotic Western - 6/06 ** RC Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - 11/04 ** Carnival Imagination - Key West/Cozumel - 10/03 ** Carnival Holiday - Western - 5/88

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

My druthers would be as it was on NCL (haven't sailed with them lately, so I don't know if/how this has changed). Clean beach towel in the cabin every day. If you use it, you return it to the cabin and it's replaced. Just like a bath towel.

Why did they decide to make beach towels so complicated?

Karen

Old June 27th, 2013, 12:22 AM
10,000+ Club

I always take my own towel. It's not about checking them out. I don't want to carry a thick heavy towel off the ship in port. I bring a large but thin and lightweight towel that rolls up very small. And I don't get sand on my towel so it's never a mess to pack. We rent lounge chairs and I rinse off before drying. Easy.

Gina

Old June 27th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBNatC View Post
My druthers would be as it was on NCL (haven't sailed with them lately, so I don't know if/how this has changed). Clean beach towel in the cabin every day. If you use it, you return it to the cabin and it's replaced. Just like a bath towel.

Karen
Carnival does the same.
Haven't been on Royal in a few years, but I'm guessing it's the same.
Will know for sure ... come Nov. 16th.

Old June 27th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBNatC View Post

Karen
Pool towels shouldn't be such a mountainous issue. But I'll betcha' that it makes RCI a few dollars (@25 per unreturned towel), if the cruiser neglects to bring it back AND/OR doesn't dispute the charge on their final bill!