Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradUT View Post
And, of course, you then have to buy the pictures they take if you want any photos at all of your adventure
As I understand it, the rule would be the same even if Bridgeclimb did not take any pictures of you. It's imposed by the owner of the bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
Has anyone ever done the night climb?
Yes, once, plus three day climbs.

“Cruise” review – ss Rotterdam (V), June 2013.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Fascinating Aida tell us of the perils of Cheap Flights.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?
Countdown clocks: How to set one up? Click here.
Princess Cruises ship designators - the current list here.

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:24 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
As I understand it, the rule would be the same even if Bridgeclimb did not take any pictures of you. It's imposed by the owner of the bridge.Yes, once, plus three day climbs.
Which did you prefer?

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:35 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Which did you prefer?
They're very different.

If you're only going to do it once, do a classic route day climb in the mid-afternoon. If it's sunny, this should show the pretty side of the harbour (including the Opera House) in better light. However, make sure that you're fully prepared for the heat and sun.

A night climb makes it difficult to identify what it is you are seeing unless you know the city well already. The sparkly twinkly lights are very romantic, and there is drama in the lit night-time cityscape, but there'll be lots of things that you can't really see properly.

Dual-purpose HOHO buses available in London: functioning simultaneously as tourist traps and roadblocks.

Netiquette: Have you watched this: Posting and you ...? And do you know How to Behave on an Internet Forum?
Thinking of starting a new thread? Have you searched for your answer already? Can you post to an existing thread?

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

I did the original climb (about 3 1/2 hours) in November 2007. As previous posters have mentioned, you do wear a jumpsuit for the climb. I was allowed to wear my sunglasses using the strap they gave me. No camera was allowed. Yes I purchased my picture as it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I did make a reservation before going there because of my limitation on time. The cost was the same but I had my preferred time. Enjoy!

Old May 9th, 2013, 01:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
They're very different.

If you're only going to do it once, do a classic route day climb in the mid-afternoon. If it's sunny, this should show the pretty side of the harbour (including the Opera House) in better light. However, make sure that you're fully prepared for the heat and sun.

A night climb makes it difficult to identify what it is you are seeing unless you know the city well already. The sparkly twinkly lights are very romantic, and there is drama in the lit night-time cityscape, but there'll be lots of things that you can't really see properly.
Thanks. Good point about seeing things when it is light out. The twilight time would work best for us since we arrive in Sydney that morning, but I am still unclear because one person said their twilight climb was dark by the time they reached the top and someone else said their night climb started at 4:30pm and it was light when they started. There is a big differance in price for 2 people. We could also go early morning on the morning we board our ship if available. That would possibly get us a photo with the ship in the background, but I am not sure that is that important.

Last edited by Jade13; May 9th, 2013 at 01:17 PM.

Old May 9th, 2013, 03:40 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
The twilight time would work best for us since we arrive in Sydney that morning, but I am still unclear because one person said their twilight climb was dark by the time they reached the top and someone else said their night climb started at 4:30pm and it was light when they started. There is a big differance in price for 2 people. We could also go early morning on the morning we board our ship if available. That would possibly get us a photo with the ship in the background, but I am not sure that is that important.
The twilight climb is intended to start when it's still daylight and to end when it's dark. You do spend quite a lot of time out on the bridge so there's ample time for it to go from daylight to night. The timing of the twilight climbs on any particular day will take the time of sunset into account.

Early morning can be a magical time on Sydney Harbour. However, one practical difficulty is that if you look in the direction of the ship, with the Opera House behind and the pretty side of the harbour behind that, you are likely to be looking into the sun.

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
The twilight climb is intended to start when it's still daylight and to end when it's dark. You do spend quite a lot of time out on the bridge so there's ample time for it to go from daylight to night. The timing of the twilight climbs on any particular day will take the time of sunset into account.

Early morning can be a magical time on Sydney Harbour. However, one practical difficulty is that if you look in the direction of the ship, with the Opera House behind and the pretty side of the harbour behind that, you are likely to be looking into the sun.

Really good point.

Old June 27th, 2013, 04:11 PM
10,000+ Club

I have a question. When you go to book a BridgeClimb, all of the times show an hour or so window. If it says 12-1, 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-4:55, is the first time the time you are suppose to arrive and the rest the time you will start by?

The Twilight times just say "Early" or "Late", so I assume still to be determined by the light.

Also, I understand the groups are limited, but do they take more than one group with a leader at each time slot (depending on interest)?

Last edited by Jade13; June 27th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Old July 6th, 2013, 04:53 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

We ended up booking the last day climb on the date that we wanted, and than emailed the BridgeClimb Admin to have them push it back to the last time slot on our date at 4:45pm. The Twilight climbs started at 5:00pm, so not much of a difference and $60.00 less per person for the day climb.

Old January 19th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We just did the bridge Climb on 1/4. Yes, it is expensive but it is definitely a once in a life time experience and to say that the surface walk way or pylon view is just as good is simply not true. Breathtaking and exhilarating are two words that come to mind as you climb the arch. Safety is paramount. Everything you are asked to do, from breathalyzer to the prohibition on cameras, is for your safety or for the safety of traffic on the roadway below. They provide you with everything you need, cord to hold glasses, hankies, hair elastics etc, which clip to the back of your jumpsuit. You also get to practice going up and down a mock up of the metal ladders. Not my favorite part but a very brief part of the climb. We had a 9:35 am climb time but all the prep and instruction put us on the bridge at about 10:45. We were advised to strip down to our undies under the jumpsuit and this was good advice. You will also be given a cap (to keep) which clips to your jumpsuit and they provide sunscreen. It was a gorgeous, clear sunny morning and not too hot at that time. There are several water fountains along the climb route and a few water misters too. BTW, you are clipped to a cable with a slider the whole time In addition to the group photo, they also took a 7 second video clip which can be emailed to you. So, here's what you get on the "classic" bridge climb:
Safety orientation, ladder practice and all the gear you need to wear. Lockers are provided for everything you must leave behind. Climb leader provides great info and directions as you climb, via radio headsets.
Water fountains and misters en route (no toilets)
To take home- group photo, bridge climb cap, bridge climb certificate, 7 second video clip (via email).
You can buy additional photos, and they have a gift shop.
Again, not debating the expense, but it is a truly unique and incredible experience. It was worth every penny and I will never forget the exhilaration as I viewed Sydney Harbour from the summit of the arch.
Diamond Princess Auckland/Sydney, December 2013
Grand Princess California a Coastal, April 2014
Crown Princess, June 2015

Old January 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the great details rpcv77 - I'm looking forward to doing this next month

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Agreed. We did it a year ago and are still talking about it. Easily the best money we've ever spent on an activity while traveling. I've had so many friends thank me for encouraging them to try it.
Karen

1/19/2016 New Zealand to Sydney - Celebrity Solstice*135 nights at sea*

Cruise lines sailed: Royal, Disney, Carnival, Holland and Celebrity.
Places visited: Caribbean (lots), Alaska, Australia, South Pacific, Greece, Turkey, Malta, Italy... and The Ohio River.

Old January 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think it bears repeating for those considering the climb, as I see this question brought up frequently. Regarding cameras; even if the company running the climb did not take photos, no cameras would be allowed for safety reasons. You will get a group photo as part of the fee you pay to climb and we also got a 7 second video clip (emailed) to us. Both are wonderful keepsakes and you can purchase more photos if you wish. According to our climb leader, it took the man who owns the Bridge Climb outfit about 10 years of negotiation with the body that governs Sydney's roads and bridges, in order to come up with a safe and acceptable way to run the venture. The safety of the climbers and cars/trains on the very active roadway below comes first!
Diamond Princess Auckland/Sydney, December 2013
Grand Princess California a Coastal, April 2014
Crown Princess, June 2015

Old January 21st, 2014, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcv77 View Post
We just did the bridge Climb on 1/4. Yes, it is expensive but it is definitely a once in a life time experience and to say that the surface walk way or pylon view is just as good is simply not true. Breathtaking and exhilarating are two words that come to mind as you climb the arch. Safety is paramount. Everything you are asked to do, from breathalyzer to the prohibition on cameras, is for your safety or for the safety of traffic on the roadway below. They provide you with everything you need, cord to hold glasses, hankies, hair elastics etc, which clip to the back of your jumpsuit. You also get to practice going up and down a mock up of the metal ladders. Not my favorite part but a very brief part of the climb. We had a 9:35 am climb time but all the prep and instruction put us on the bridge at about 10:45. We were advised to strip down to our undies under the jumpsuit and this was good advice. You will also be given a cap (to keep) which clips to your jumpsuit and they provide sunscreen. It was a gorgeous, clear sunny morning and not too hot at that time. There are several water fountains along the climb route and a few water misters too. BTW, you are clipped to a cable with a slider the whole time In addition to the group photo, they also took a 7 second video clip which can be emailed to you. So, here's what you get on the "classic" bridge climb:
Safety orientation, ladder practice and all the gear you need to wear. Lockers are provided for everything you must leave behind. Climb leader provides great info and directions as you climb, via radio headsets.
Water fountains and misters en route (no toilets)
To take home- group photo, bridge climb cap, bridge climb certificate, 7 second video clip (via email).
You can buy additional photos, and they have a gift shop.
Again, not debating the expense, but it is a truly unique and incredible experience. It was worth every penny and I will never forget the exhilaration as I viewed Sydney Harbour from the summit of the arch.
I couldn't agree more. It's truly a case of "you get what you pay for." Everything is done to create safety for all and security for those who might be a bit frightened.

April, 2002 Sovereign of the Seas
September, 2005 Zuiderdam
September, 2006 Mariner of the Seas
November, 2006, Sovereign of the Seas
January, 2007 Radiance of the Seas
January, 2008 Adventure of the Seas
November, 2008 Monarch of the Seas
February, 2009, Voyager of the Seas
November, 2009, Navigator of the Seas
January, 2010, Mariner of the Seas
August, 2010, Oosterdam
January, 2012, Mariner of the Seas