Which cruise lines offer the best child discounts

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Family Cruises
Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:05 AM.
Northern Ireland
27 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Hi! We are planning our first cruise. We are a family of three, and our son will be 4 years old. We are hoping to do a Norwegian Fjords cruise.

Some cruise lines seem to offer really good child rates, and other charge nearly the full price. I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks, Alison
2,777 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Cruise lines don't generally give "child" discounts - you're looking for discounts on the 3rd passenger (price is the same whether it's a child or 3rd adult). The best thing to do is price out each cruise you're considering. A cruise line offering a 3rd passenger discount may still be more expensive overall. The lowest fares can usally be found by booking a date early or late in the season when older kids are in school.

Best,
Mia
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
St. Petersburg, FL
685 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
MSC cruiseline is an italian cruiseline that does carribbean itineraries in the winter. Children sail free on that line (they only charge taxes and gratuities). Its a different experience/culture from the more traditional "american" lines. But the ships are big and absolutely beautiful elegent decor.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oxford, UK
137 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
It really seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Last year I did a 7-night Princess cruise from Southampton for £99 each for passengers 3 and 4 and that was in a school holiday too. This year I have never seen prices that low.
stourbridge
290 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by Meggysmum
It really seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Last year I did a 7-night Princess cruise from Southampton for £99 each for passengers 3 and 4 and that was in a school holiday too. This year I have never seen prices that low.
You can still get prices that low and luckily for us we have booked one! Mid August 8 nights Crown Princess from Southampton for £99 each for 3rd and 4th passengers.

I agree that the rates vary from cruise to cruise. Plus a sailing which has a good couples deal is often not the one to get the best 3rd passenger price. If there is a way to find a good deal without pricing up lots of cruises over a priod of time I have not found it!

By the way P&Os free Night Nursery is excellent and as far as I know is not available on other lines. Also HAL have been doing a £1 per child sale!
290 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
It seems to vary by ship within lines by quite a bit. I priced out 2 RCCL Baltics itineraries, both 12 nights. On Adventure of the Seas they wanted $409 to add my DD. On Legend of the Seas it was over $1,000. Both were ocean view rooms. I have no idea why.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mariah & Casey

13 nt. Celebrity Equinox 8/25/16

7 nt. RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Southern Carribean 11/21/15
12 nt. RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Baltics & Russia 6/12/14
7 nt. Disney Wonder - Alaska 7/1/13
4 nt. Disney Dream - Bahamas 12/2/12
5 nt. Disney Magic - Canada 9/2/12
7 nt. Norwegian Star - Western Carribean 11/13/11
10 nt. Island Princess - Panama Canal & CA 12/24/08
4 nt. Galapagos Legend -
12/15/06
6 nt. Carnival Liberty - Western Caribbean 12/18/05
12 nt. Celebrity Millennium - Mediterranean 5/09/04 (Honeymoon!)
3 nt. Bahamas - 6/1998
Baltimore, MD
103 Posts
Joined Jan 2012
As others said, it varies. In general, you are paying the 3rd and 4th passenger rate.

I have seen two exceptions to this. First, for cruised that don't sell well, cruise lines offer promotions, one of which is kids sail for free.

Second, Disney does offer a steep discount for children that are 2 and under. This won't help the OP, but we found that it was a great option for families with very young kids.
Northern Ireland
27 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Thanks everyone.

We opted for Celebrity in the end. Child's rate was half of ours but we love the itinerary and are really looking forward to it! Booking early we also got on board credit and two classic drinks packages