Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 10th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggins0402 View Post
Same here - we're in Istanbul in November also, during a land trip to Dubai and Qatar through Istanbul and just made our Istanbul hotel reservations today. Our friends joke with us that we bring civil unrest wherever we plan a trip. Not overly concerned though - been to Istanbul before and I can't imagine anything like what's going on in Egypt now.

Hope you're doing well! Jade was a great cruise despite the issues!
We started calling our cruise in Sept 2011 our Cruise to the Warzones. We went to Cairo, Port Said, Ashdod and Haifa. After changes back and forth we actually did get to all ports. Much to my surprise.

Old July 10th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggins0402 View Post
Same here - we're in Istanbul in November also, during a land trip to Dubai and Qatar through Istanbul and just made our Istanbul hotel reservations today. Our friends joke with us that we bring civil unrest wherever we plan a trip. Not overly concerned though - been to Istanbul before and I can't imagine anything like what's going on in Egypt now.

Hope you're doing well! Jade was a great cruise despite the issues!
Hi, Buggins, what a coincident! We will be on a week-long land tour in Turkey starting November 12. So nice to have met you on the NCL Jade last year. Hope you'll have a great trip in November!

Welcome to My Blog

1993-NCL (Southward) Baja California
1994-Princess (Fair Princess) Baja California
2000-Celebrity (Galaxy) Alaska
2002-Victoria Cruises-Yantze River, China (Wuhan to Chongqing)
2002-Celebrity (Mercury) Alaska
2004-Carnival (Elation) Western Caribbean
2005-NCL (Sea) 16-day Houston to Los Angeles Panama Canal)
2007-NCL (Pride of Aloha) Hawaii
2008-Carnival (Splendor) 8-day Inaugural Genoa to Dover
2008-Carnival (Splendor) 12-day Baltic
2008-NCL (Star) Mexican Riviera
2009-Victoria (Queen)-Yangtze River, China (Shanghai to Chongqing)
2009-HAL (Zaandam)-Alaska
2010-NCL (Gem)-14-day B/B Venice (Adriatic, Turkey, Greek Isles)
2011-Princess (Diamond)-Alaska 12-day Cruisetour
2012-MSC (Splendida)-Western Mediterranean
2012-NCL (Jade)-Eastern Mediterranean and Holy Land
2014-Carnival (Inspiration)-Baja California
2014-Royal Caribbean (Radiance OTS)- 13-day R/T Sydney/New Zealand

Old July 10th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Silversea just adjusted upcoming itineraries... We are on #1326 Istanbul - Athens in Sept... Alexandria & Port Said dropped, and they added an extra day in Haifa (we were already going to Ashdod), and added Marmaris, Turkey.

Old July 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCruiser View Post
Hi, Buggins, what a coincident! We will be on a week-long land tour in Turkey starting November 12. So nice to have met you on the NCL Jade last year. Hope you'll have a great trip in November!
That is funny - we're flying out on the 12th! When I added a few nights in Qatar to our itinerary (flying Qatar Airways for the Arabian Gulf part of the trip), it meant only staying in Istanbul for our first and last nights, so we won't see much of city this time.

You have a great trip also!

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4774Papa View Post
You might not be able to visit the Egyptian Museum, which is on Tahir square.
Also, if you must go, suggest taking an international cellphone, so you can call for help if you need it. Have the phone numbers for the local embassy, airline, etc.
Suggest staying with your tour group, don't wander off by yourself.
Thanks for your rapid response, ‘Papa

We are aware of the history of protests at Tahir Square, and of course, we will avoid any such protests. It just amazes me that some people would go to watch a protest, or a tsunami, or a wildfire, etc.. If there is a problem or a potential problem, we just get the heck out of there, no matter how interesting it might be. I am risk-averse when it comes to travel.

The possibility that the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities might be closed when we visit, is something that we consider. There is always something that is closed, or a bridge is washed out, or there is a rail strike, or plane is delayed, or hotel/hostel lost our reservations and money and is full, or a boat’s engines give out, etc. There is always something unexpected that happens. That is just part of travel. We deal with it quite simply by preparing to visit 3 times as many sites as we have time for.

As far as international cell phone goes, yes we normally take our cell phones with us. It is 2013, and cell phones are a normal part of our everyday lives. But as far as having it to “call for help”, I really do not think about it that way. The problem is that if a person consider a cell phone as a safety device, then the person will more apt to take risks, counting on the safety device (a cell phone, safety helmet, or anti-lock brakes) to get him out of trouble that he can get into. And anyway, I am not sure what I could expect to happen if I were to call the US Embassy if I were in trouble.

And no, we do not do guided tours. We do our own planning, and visits. It is just going to be our kids, my wife and I. Though you are probably right in not letting our two younger kids “wander off by themselves”.

Old July 25th, 2013, 07:44 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmlynek View Post
Thanks for your rapid response, ‘Papa

We are aware of the history of protests at Tahir Square, and of course, we will avoid any such protests. It just amazes me that some people would go to watch a protest, or a tsunami, or a wildfire, etc.. If there is a problem or a potential problem, we just get the heck out of there, no matter how interesting it might be. I am risk-averse when it comes to travel.

The possibility that the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities might be closed when we visit, is something that we consider. There is always something that is closed, or a bridge is washed out, or there is a rail strike, or plane is delayed, or hotel/hostel lost our reservations and money and is full, or a boat’s engines give out, etc. There is always something unexpected that happens. That is just part of travel. We deal with it quite simply by preparing to visit 3 times as many sites as we have time for.

As far as international cell phone goes, yes we normally take our cell phones with us. It is 2013, and cell phones are a normal part of our everyday lives. But as far as having it to “call for help”, I really do not think about it that way. The problem is that if a person consider a cell phone as a safety device, then the person will more apt to take risks, counting on the safety device (a cell phone, safety helmet, or anti-lock brakes) to get him out of trouble that he can get into. And anyway, I am not sure what I could expect to happen if I were to call the US Embassy if I were in trouble.

And no, we do not do guided tours. We do our own planning, and visits. It is just going to be our kids, my wife and I. Though you are probably right in not letting our two younger kids “wander off by themselves”.
It is not a great idea to tour on your own in Egypt. Just taking a taxi is a risk. Make sure you take taxis from the hotel and have the hotel call the taxi and keep a record of the taxi and you departing. Don't take taxi's from the street. Tourists have been taken into the desert by taxis with all kinds of bad things happening, including death.

Old July 28th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmlynek View Post

See if your hotel can organise a driver and english speaking guide for the day or even just a driver. But they might not speak much English, unless you can speak some Arabic? That's what a friend and myself did for three days while in Cairo and we travelled up to Alexandria and then on to El alamein to see the war graves.

Next day did a another tour to Wadi Natrum

And on the final day went to Saggara, Memphis and Dahshur

Make sure you plan plenty of travel time in your journey as the traffic in Cairo is a nightmare. And if there is protests happening, then certain areas will be severley restricted.

Upcoming Cruises

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 |

Last edited by icat2000; July 28th, 2013 at 05:00 AM.