Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:32 PM.
Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by rangeley
So sorry to hear about Maya. Was she old? A CCI dog?
Maya was a CCI, Santa Rosa, Hearing Dog. She was 7 years old. Far too young to have died so suddenly.

Cara is going to let us know what happened with Maya to give us all a "heads up" to anything we should be aware of in terms of Maya's health.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by rangeley
As others have already said, Roz is very passionate about her dogs. I think we all are. If you read correctly she wasn't misleading she said " I hope the ship asks for some sort of accredidation about your dogs training and city licensing. " She said she "hopes" they ask for some accredidation, since so many people are bringing their pets and passing them off as service dogs. As far as the license goes, our town requires one but the fee is waived since he is a service dog.

As far as having these dogs accredidated, I believe in that 100%. This is why there are so many "fake" service dogs. We actually have a woman who lives in our building that has a "service dog" and I use that term lightly. It's a big standard poodle and is totally out of control. She can barely handle it in her wheelchair it yanks her all around the place. It barks at everyone and barks when she leaves it alone. I have not seen it do any tasks for her. She doesn't have any vest on it, cuz "it mats his hair". Really?? The only thing that identifies it as a service dog is a 2" campaign like button on its collar, that says "Service dog, Access required". I have only seen the button on it once when she told me how she just got the button. She has never taken the dog anywhere except outside to pee. The dog gets nooooo excercise at all. At first it was a show dog, then a service dog. Who knows!! Ugh I shouldn't have gotten started cuz on that subject. Ok I'm done. Ahhhhhhhhh that felt good.
Thanks Cindy. I'm so glad your neighbor doesn't live near me.....she'd be driving me crazy. Her poor dog!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by dlbutler5
Hi everyone,
I want to thank you for your thoughts. I still have my fevers but they seem to be getting less intense. I am still very weak from my cruise to the hospital. I will let you know that room service and steward service wasn't the best. They kept waking me up every couple hours and then poking me to make me bleed. In all seriousness I had some great nurses and doctors.
Once again thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Dave Butler
Dave, you're sounding strong. I hope that you continue to do well.....hospital's don't have a great reputation for making the best of the cruise experience!!!!!!!

Be well and come back and tell us how you're doing! I know you scared the bejeebers out of our Barbara!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



2,151 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Rolls Royce Lover
Maya was a CCI, Santa Rosa, Hearing Dog. She was 7 years old. Far too young to have died so suddenly.

Cara is going to let us know what happened with Maya to give us all a "heads up" to anything we should be aware of in terms of Maya's health.
Oh that's way too young .... Our girl dog is 7 this year ....
2,151 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Rolls Royce Lover
Yes, I understand it's touched me too!!!! I look into my 13 year old Brenny's eyes and beg her to stay with me please, stay with me!

I know that moment too .... I sometimes think it's just as well we don't know what's ahead of us. We would all be sitting bawling in a corner!

On a happier note we were out shopping this morning and we stood and watched a young pup out for what looked like her first walk in the town. She was trying hard to concentrate but it was all just soooooo interesting, and the different smells and some lovely folk who knew her "Mum" saying hello, it was just sooooo much fun .... It made us smile as it took us back to puppy days. She was good though, she was being taught to sit at the kerb and wait for her command to walk on, well she did manage it and was suitably rewarded.
Boston
2,433 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Roz, John wants me to thank you for the card. He was pleasantly surprised. Love the dogs on it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
<img border="0" src="http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;483/st/20170114/e/Cruise/k/0557/event.png"></a>


HAL Zuiderdam 2005
HAL Westerdam 2006
Crown Princess 2007
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014
HAL Eurodam 2015
NCL Escape 2016
NCL Escape 2017
620 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Hi All, it has been a long time since I have posted.

My hearing ear dog and I have had 14 cruises and enjoyed every second. He is a wonder and I don't think I could cope without him.

I have a serious question and would totally appreciate your help. Our service school retains "ownership" of the service dog for the duration of the working life of the dog. The dog can then be retired into the home of the handler(me), be adopted by a friend etc. I can understand that because it gives the school the right to check up on the team and ensure all is well.

Here is the major problem.....if you want your hearing dog to retire into your home, you are not allowed to have a new working dog.....apparently, there are not to be any other dogs in the house, if thee is a working dog.

Could you please let me know if your school has the same policy. I would appreciate it greatly.
Boston
2,433 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by MCDW
Hi All, it has been a long time since I have posted.

My hearing ear dog and I have had 14 cruises and enjoyed every second. He is a wonder and I don't think I could cope without him.

I have a serious question and would totally appreciate your help. Our service school retains "ownership" of the service dog for the duration of the working life of the dog. The dog can then be retired into the home of the handler(me), be adopted by a friend etc. I can understand that because it gives the school the right to check up on the team and ensure all is well.

Here is the major problem.....if you want your hearing dog to retire into your home, you are not allowed to have a new working dog.....apparently, there are not to be any other dogs in the house, if thee is a working dog.

Could you please let me know if your school has the same policy. I would appreciate it greatly.

Roz would know more, but she has a retired hearing dog and a new one. I do know CCI retains ownership of the dogs, but not after they retire.

Cindy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
<img border="0" src="http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;483/st/20170114/e/Cruise/k/0557/event.png"></a>


HAL Zuiderdam 2005
HAL Westerdam 2006
Crown Princess 2007
HAL Zuiderdam 2008
HAL Noordam 2009
HAL Eurodam 2010
HAL Noordam 2011
Celebrity Solstice 2012
HAL Westerdam 2012
HAL Eurodam 2014
HAL Eurodam 2015
NCL Escape 2016
NCL Escape 2017
Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by fairbourne
I know that moment too .... I sometimes think it's just as well we don't know what's ahead of us. We would all be sitting bawling in a corner!

On a happier note we were out shopping this morning and we stood and watched a young pup out for what looked like her first walk in the town. She was trying hard to concentrate but it was all just soooooo interesting, and the different smells and some lovely folk who knew her "Mum" saying hello, it was just sooooo much fun .... It made us smile as it took us back to puppy days. She was good though, she was being taught to sit at the kerb and wait for her command to walk on, well she did manage it and was suitably rewarded.
Such a joy to watch a puppy with so much promise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by rangeley
Roz, John wants me to thank you for the card. He was pleasantly surprised. Love the dogs on it!
Please tell John he is so welcome. Have a wonderful summer, all three of you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
CCI dogs belong to CCI as long as they are working. When they retire you sign a contract stating that your dog is retired and no longer has public access and you are allowed to bring in a Successor Dog [after going through the necessary application, testing and graduation], to live with you and your retired Service Dog. During the application process for a Successor Dog the necessary questions as to how you plan to manage both dogs is brought up many times.

Because CCI dogs are so well trained in behavior and in getting along with each other it's been a wonderful transition and bonding for both Brenda and Horton. I feel very blessed to have both of them in my life and, although it can be complicated for me, at times, since the loss of Morey, I am finding a comfort zone for both the dogs and myself.

The way in which we maneuver around each other each day and night has become a beautiful dance. They have great respect for each other and allow for each one's habits, likes and dislikes.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



620 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by Rolls Royce Lover
CCI dogs belong to CCI as long as they are working. When they retire you sign a contract stating that your dog is retired and no longer has public access and you are allowed to bring in a Successor Dog [after going through the necessary application, testing and graduation], to live with you and your retired Service Dog. During the application process for a Successor Dog the necessary questions as to how you plan to manage both dogs is brought up many times.

Because CCI dogs are so well trained in behavior and in getting along with each other it's been a wonderful transition and bonding for both Brenda and Horton. I feel very blessed to have both of them in my life and, although it can be complicated for me, at times, since the loss of Morey, I am finding a comfort zone for both the dogs and myself.

The way in which we maneuver around each other each day and night has become a beautiful dance. They have great respect for each other and allow for each one's habits, likes and dislikes.
r
You are so blessed to have both dogs with you........our school does not allow that. If you keep a newly retired hearing dog, you cannot have a new hearing dog....heavy sigh...
Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by MCDW
r
You are so blessed to have both dogs with you........our school does not allow that. If you keep a newly retired hearing dog, you cannot have a new hearing dog....heavy sigh...
That's too bad that your school of training doesn't allow you to keep your retired and Successor Dog together.

At first, Brenda and Horton would both work for me. I would acknowledge only Horton as Morey would distract Brenda. Only Horton would go to work with me and eventually Brenda realized that she no longer had to work and could "relax" and watch Horton complete his tasks. I must admit that it was easier with Morey's help but I think it can be done with just one person too!!!

There was some "cross-over" work being done by both dogs in the beginning but it didn't take long for them to realize their roles.

I have to be consistent and reward Horton for a job well done to keep his task work sharp at home [Brenda sometimes distracts him], at work it's really easy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



620 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Originally posted by Rolls Royce Lover
That's too bad that your school of training doesn't allow you to keep your retired and Successor Dog together.

At first, Brenda and Horton would both work for me. I would acknowledge only Horton as Morey would distract Brenda. Only Horton would go to work with me and eventually Brenda realized that she no longer had to work and could "relax" and watch Horton complete his tasks. I must admit that it was easier with Morey's help but I think it can be done with just one person too!!!

There was some "cross-over" work being done by both dogs in the beginning but it didn't take long for them to realize their roles.

I have to be consistent and reward Horton for a job well done to keep his task work sharp at home [Brenda sometimes distracts him], at work it's really easy.
Thanks so much Roz for the information. It is very appreciated. Do take good care.
260 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
First I will say what Carnival did correctly. Our cabin steward brought us a life jacket for Ollie.

The potty box was not set up when we got on board but after two calls to housekeeping the box was placed on our balcony. It all happened pretty quickly, especially since we told them the dog was "doing the dance" and it was going to turn into an emergency. (We had left the house at 7:30. It took 2 hours to get to the terminal in New Orleans -which should have been 20 minutes- followed by a 2+ hour bus ride to Mobile.)

The rep from Guest Services came to collect the paperwork. We never saw her again so we assumed everything was OK. She had never done dog paperwork before.

Key West was cancelled which was a major disappointment.

Freeport was fine. We got off the ship and on the shuttle to our dolphin experience. Ollie was with my FIL while we did the encounter then we tag teamed so he could have his turn. We missed out some Freeport time since our arrival was delayed because of leaving from Mobile and not New Orleans. (So at this point we lost a full day from leaving a day late, several hours from not arriving in Mobile until close to 2, and lost 2.5 hours in Freeport because our tour began at 12 instead of 9:30 like it was supposed to).

Nassau. We get off the ship to go to Atlantis. We attempt to go through the gate and we get stopped. We can not take this bus (the same type we took from Freeport) because "we" did not tell the excursion people that we were taking the dog. "We" needed to arrange for special transportation. Long story short, we trek back to the ship, work our way up the chain of command, and are told that shore excursions didn't know we were taking the dog with us. We were advised to take a taxi to and from Atlantis. They would reimburse us for the travel. So, we wasted nearly 2 hours by the time we found our family in Atlantis. (Ever been there, it's a huge place!)

We booked this excursion through Carnival. We were advised by our travel agent to notify Atlantis about the dog, which we did. They told us we didn't need to "register" him because we were not staying at the resort. We were never told anything about special transportation.

In your opinion, is it our job to make sure Carnival does its job and makes the necessary arrangements. Shouldn't my husband's ticket been "flagged" or "tagged" with service dog? When we fly, Southwest has his ticket flagged. I don't understand why this was not the case with Carnival. Thoughts?
Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by MCDW
Thanks so much Roz for the information. It is very appreciated. Do take good care.
You're so welcome.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



Southern California
1,573 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by cjborne2
First I will say what Carnival did correctly. Our cabin steward brought us a life jacket for Ollie.

The potty box was not set up when we got on board but after two calls to housekeeping the box was placed on our balcony. It all happened pretty quickly, especially since we told them the dog was "doing the dance" and it was going to turn into an emergency. (We had left the house at 7:30. It took 2 hours to get to the terminal in New Orleans -which should have been 20 minutes- followed by a 2+ hour bus ride to Mobile.)

The rep from Guest Services came to collect the paperwork. We never saw her again so we assumed everything was OK. She had never done dog paperwork before.

Key West was cancelled which was a major disappointment.

Freeport was fine. We got off the ship and on the shuttle to our dolphin experience. Ollie was with my FIL while we did the encounter then we tag teamed so he could have his turn. We missed out some Freeport time since our arrival was delayed because of leaving from Mobile and not New Orleans. (So at this point we lost a full day from leaving a day late, several hours from not arriving in Mobile until close to 2, and lost 2.5 hours in Freeport because our tour began at 12 instead of 9:30 like it was supposed to).

Nassau. We get off the ship to go to Atlantis. We attempt to go through the gate and we get stopped. We can not take this bus (the same type we took from Freeport) because "we" did not tell the excursion people that we were taking the dog. "We" needed to arrange for special transportation. Long story short, we trek back to the ship, work our way up the chain of command, and are told that shore excursions didn't know we were taking the dog with us. We were advised to take a taxi to and from Atlantis. They would reimburse us for the travel. So, we wasted nearly 2 hours by the time we found our family in Atlantis. (Ever been there, it's a huge place!)

We booked this excursion through Carnival. We were advised by our travel agent to notify Atlantis about the dog, which we did. They told us we didn't need to "register" him because we were not staying at the resort. We were never told anything about special transportation.

In your opinion, is it our job to make sure Carnival does its job and makes the necessary arrangements. Shouldn't my husband's ticket been "flagged" or "tagged" with service dog? When we fly, Southwest has his ticket flagged. I don't understand why this was not the case with Carnival. Thoughts?
It was absolutely Carnival's responsibility to inform the bus/the taxi/the tender/the helicopter/the train and anyone else involved in "their" excursion about your dog coming onboard their transportation. They owed you, when you returned back to ship you should have gone to the excursion desk and demanded a refund.

We had the same problem onboard an excursion in Puerto Vallarta....the bus driver on our excursion made us wait until everyone else had boarded the bus [in 104 degree heat] and, when we finally boarded we couldn't sit together and then the bus broke down and on and on. This too was a Carnival excursion.....long story short Morey made the tour guide call for a taxi and take us back to the ship and, he demanded our money be refunded at the excursion desk.

And, to not have your potty box ready is inexcusable. Again, folks please don't forget to call the "Special Needs" desk of your cruise line and make sure that they contact your ship a few days before you board, to have the potty box ready the moment you enter the ship.

Before I board the ship I take Horton to a nearby rest stop to relieve himself, just in case the potty box has any problems. [It's one of the reasons I love San Pedro....I know exactly where the grass is across the street from the entrance to the terminal.]
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Roz


Horton Jeffrey laying in his bed at work.



New Jersey
1,621 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by rangeley
Where did you go? I know theres alot of different cruises to Alaska. Was everything accessible??
Cindy,

We were on the Disney Wonder out of Vancouver, BC. We cruised Tracy Arm then stopped in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Disney went out of their way to make sure all the excursion transportation was going to work for us. People complain that Disney Cruise is more expensive than other lines. They are right. But when you look at their service, it's all worth it. Orson's potty box was on our balcony filled with sod just as we requested.
Southern California
11,139 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by DisneyKidsDad
Cindy,

We were on the Disney Wonder out of Vancouver, BC. We cruised Tracy Arm then stopped in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Disney went out of their way to make sure all the excursion transportation was going to work for us. People complain that Disney Cruise is more expensive than other lines. They are right. But when you look at their service, it's all worth it. Orson's potty box was on our balcony filled with sod just as we requested.
Beautiful, and so good to hear. It's on my "bucket-list" to do a Disney cruise. Everyone brags about the service and I can't wait to try it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROZ

Horton holding Horton the Elephant


December 2, 2017 - Hawaii - Carnival Miracle
April 27, 2018 - Alaska - Emerald Princess