Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Flesh Eating Bacteria in Spa

Has this happened to anybody?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/1...sh-eating.html

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Hot tub folliculitis is a completely different thing from MRSA. MRSA is everywhere, and yes, it's a scary infection. It can picked up in locker rooms, hospitals, schools - it's actually on most people's skin already. It's a matter of it invading an open wound and the body not being able to fend it off.

Hot tub folliculitis is an itchy rash- kind of like little pimples - often found around the hair follicles where swimsuit would rub. I picked it up in a hot tub a friend's house one time. She was HORRIFIED as she's meticulously clean and checks the chemical levels daily. It's very easy for a hot tub to grow stuff if the chemicals aren't perfect. The folliculitis was annoying but no big deal. It was mildly itchy, caused some red bumps, and went away in a couple days. It's mostly harmless.
Carnival Valor
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Victory x2
Carnival Miracle

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:47 AM
20,000+ Club

Another alarmist headline
for the thread title?

into one tidy panel -like this

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacruizer View Post
Hot tub folliculitis is a completely different thing from MRSA. MRSA is everywhere, and yes, it's a scary infection. It can picked up in locker rooms, hospitals, schools - it's actually on most people's skin already. It's a matter of it invading an open wound and the body not being able to fend it off.

Hot tub folliculitis is an itchy rash- kind of like little pimples - often found around the hair follicles where swimsuit would rub. I picked it up in a hot tub a friend's house one time. She was HORRIFIED as she's meticulously clean and checks the chemical levels daily. It's very easy for a hot tub to grow stuff if the chemicals aren't perfect. The folliculitis was annoying but no big deal. It was mildly itchy, caused some red bumps, and went away in a couple days. It's mostly harmless.
Allegedly it was a bit more serious than just red bumps (usually infected hair follicles from shaving).
"The passenger's leg sustained a severe infection which nearly cost him his leg, the PR statement reads. "The entire leg turned black and they wanted to amputate." After a week in the hospital and $70,000 in medical bills later, the leg was saved, but remains scarred from the flesh-eating infection according to the lawyers."
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/07...als-fun-ships/

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

The photo on this guys page takes all the credibility out of the article!

Unofficial VP of the 4am Lido Creepers!

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Carnival Sensation - Western Caribbean - Sep 2005
Carnival Sensation - Nassau - Oct 2006
Carnival Ecstasy - Western Caribbean - Jan 2010
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean - May 2011 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1441633
COMING UP:
Carnival Legend - British Isles - Sep 2013
Carnival Elation - Cozumel - Dec 2013
Carnival Sunshine - Western Caribbean - Feb 2014

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer-kraut View Post
Allegedly it was a bit more serious than just red bumps (usually infected hair follicles from shaving).
"The passenger's leg sustained a severe infection which nearly cost him his leg, the PR statement reads. "The entire leg turned black and they wanted to amputate." After a week in the hospital and $70,000 in medical bills later, the leg was saved, but remains scarred from the flesh-eating infection according to the lawyers."
http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/07...als-fun-ships/
Read the other thread re this article. The lawyer is describing one disease and calling it another entirely. The two have no connection.

But it does make for sensatoinal headlines

Calling it the flesh eating disease rather than a rash sounds better when drumming up claimants for their class action lawsuit.

How many threads do we need on this topic?

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:55 AM
5,000+ Club

"according to the lawyers."
Famous last words. Just once I wish I could see the phrase "according to their doctors." But seriously I hope this person has a quick recovery.

Last edited by lady_cruiser; July 20th, 2013 at 11:00 AM.

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=Flying is for Planes;39205662]Has this happened to anybody?

Not to me, ... or anyone I know. I have all my flesh. Always have.

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:54 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_cruiser View Post
"according to the lawyers."
Famous last words. Just once I wish I could see the phrase "according to their doctors." But seriously I hope this person has a quick recovery.
It was Dec. 2011.

First off, what happened to the other 50 who were supposedly infected? Must have been a lot of wounded people that got into the hot tubs. Even if it turned out to be this bacteria, which I doubt, that bacteria only enters the body through a wound already present.

Old July 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying is for Planes View Post
Flesh eating disease is extreme and many if not most who contract it die or lose limbs from it. This article is ridiculously over sensationalized.

Carnival Breeze.......12/08/12
Carnival Paradise.....3/15/12 & 3/14/13
RCCL Freedom........10/30/11
Carnival Dream.......10/30/10
Carnival Inspiration..12/05/09
Disney Wonder.......10/25/09
Carnival Miracle......12/07/08
Carnival Inspiration 12/14/06, 12/05/05 & 10/24/04

Old July 20th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying is for Planes View Post
That is the reason I did not go in the hot tubs, but isn't the chlorination process suppose stop the growth of bacteria in the water ?

Last edited by Shipbound; July 20th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbound View Post
That is the reason I did not go in the hot tubs, but isn't the chlorination process suppose stop the growth of bacteria in the water ?
If the temperature isn't held right, I don't think it matters. Someone pointed out in the other thread how long people will stay in the hot tub for... which would lead you to believe the temperature isn't being held right.

I avoid those things like the plague

Last edited by Blurgh; July 20th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

All this from a guy in Boca...

He must need money to pay for his upside down mortgage in Broken Sound and make his Panamera payment.

Totally ridiculous.

2014 Cruises:

February - Ruby Princess - SAILED

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurgh View Post
If the temperature isn't held right, I don't think it matters. Someone pointed out in the other thread how long people will stay in the hot tub for... which would lead you to believe the temperature isn't being held right.

I avoid those things like the plague
Hot tubs are maintained at 104*F, by USPH regulation, which even they will admit is the optimum breeding temperature for legionaire's disease. The chlorine level is maintained at 8-10ppm, which is significantly higher than home hot tubs to control the various bacteria. The amount of time people sit in them is the reason that swimwear fades and the threads rot out, due to the high chlorine level. The tubs are emptied, cleaned, and super-chlorinated daily.

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, insert eye roll here. There is NO WAY!! To prove those 2 people had gotten MRSA from the hot tub considering how prevalent it is everywhere! Kids get it from Gym mats, it's also very prevalent at gyms. Always a reason to clean your equipment before you use it. Disgusts me, all these people are out for a quick buck!

89-Dolphine Cruise Line, SS Dolphin IV 93-Carnival Fantasy 00-Carnival Imagination 01-Carnival Victory 03-Carnival Glory 05-Carnival Legend 11-Carnival Fascination
12-Carnival Ecstasy, 12-Imagination, 13-Dream

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

This article is not written by a reporter. It is an advertisement by the attorney to solicit clients disguised as a travel article. I will not put too much faith in the accuracy of its content.

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I know for a fact the temps were not even close to 104 in some of the hot tubs both on the Sensation (Serenity) and the Freedom (the one near the slide). We swim at our gym at home which has a normal pool, a warmer pool for warming up when you get out of the ice pool and a hot tub.
The warm pool temps are 90-97 degrees, like bath water. Both these hot tubs on board were exactly like the warm pool, we could have stayed in them forever till we looked like a California raisin.

GO GATORS!!!
SAILED

FREEDOM - May, 2010
PARADISE - May, 2012 Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1645991
SENSATION - Nov, 2012 Review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1733032
ECSTASY - Dec, 2013, 25th Anniversay cruise

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

There's no way to prove he got it from the hot tub, and it's unlikely that he did since they drain and refill them daily.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Carnival Dream 04-20-2014

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengkp75 View Post
Hot tubs are maintained at 104*F, by USPH regulation, which even they will admit is the optimum breeding temperature for legionaire's disease. The chlorine level is maintained at 8-10ppm, which is significantly higher than home hot tubs to control the various bacteria. The amount of time people sit in them is the reason that swimwear fades and the threads rot out, due to the high chlorine level. The tubs are emptied, cleaned, and super-chlorinated daily.
I doubt they are maintained much during the course of the day, while they're crammed full of people.

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystonemama View Post
I know for a fact the temps were not even close to 104 in some of the hot tubs both on the Sensation (Serenity) and the Freedom (the one near the slide). We swim at our gym at home which has a normal pool, a warmer pool for warming up when you get out of the ice pool and a hot tub.
The warm pool temps are 90-97 degrees, like bath water. Both these hot tubs on board were exactly like the warm pool, we could have stayed in them forever till we looked like a California raisin.
Agree - we keep our hot tub at 104 and it's really HOT unlike the lukewarm water on ships. The hot tubs on ships are just plain nasty, IMHO.
March -Carnival Fantasy - 6 nts, Bahamas & Key West
May - Millennium, 10 nts, Pacific Coastal
November - Golden Princess, 14 nts, Hawaii

April - Liberty OTS - 14 nts, Transatlantic
October - Carnival Fantasy - 7 nts E Caribbean

March - Carnival Glory - 7 nts, W Caribbean
October - Oasis OTS - 7 nts, Eastern Caribbean

February - Carnival Liberty - 7 nts, W Caribbean
August - Star Princess - 11 nts Alaska
December - Westerdam - 7 nts E Caribbean "Dancing with Stars" theme cruise