Carnival Glory 7 Day Cruise Review LOTS OF PICTURES

narrow56

My husband and I just got back from a 7 day cruise on the Carnival Glory. It went from 7/14 - 7/21/2013. We sailed from Boston to Portland, Saint John, Halifax, and Sydney.

First a little background information. My husband is 26 and I'm 25. We both live in Upstate NY. I have been on 4 cruises before (2 on Carnival) and my husband had been on 3. We were celebrating our 2 year wedding anniversary.

We like to sail from ports that we can drive to, and Boston was one of those. We got a great deal on this cruise. The price kept dropping, so we got it for $429 pp. I was little weary picking a cruise destination that wasn't the Caribbean, but was pleasantly surprised.

So stick around! I'll have a lot to tell you and a lot of pictures to share. :)

We traveled the 6 hours from NY through VT and NH to get to Burlington, MA. That's where we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. It was a very nice hotel and it was less than $90 a night. We like to do a little sightseeing if possible before a cruise, so we took the T from the Alewife station into the city. I had previously booked a Free Tour By Foot of the Freedom Trail. I HIGHLY recommend their tours. They're tip based, and excellent!

Our tour guide Brian:

DSC02351_zps845b81d9.jpg

Up next...embarkation!

The day had finally arrived for our cruise. We got to the port, parked ($60 for the week...wow! Cheap!), and got on the bus to the ship. Once there (a 2 minute ride), we unloaded our luggage and got in line to give it to the porter. I recommend tipping $1 per piece of luggage. We each had one suitcase and we also each brought on a carry on. Be sure to keep all of your valuables with you and also your documentation. From there we quickly went through security, then we checked in. The whole process was about 45 minutes. We walked onto the ship and I said, "I'M HOME!"

We explored around the ship and got our first drinks. I had been waiting a whole year for a Hurricane Wave!

It was VERY humid that day, so I tried to avoid being out in the sun too much. We had lunch in the Red Sail restaurant which is really the only option when you first board. I had wanted to try the Blue Iguana Cantina for a while, so I decided to have a burrito. They are a must try!

After lunch we headed to our stateroom, since we were told it would be ready by 1:30. They were correct. We had #6459 in the aft section of the ship. It was an interior room. Though tiny, it was comfortable. The shower certainly makes me love mine at home much more though! Our steward was Gede, who was very friendly all week long! He kept our room clean (though we try to keep things tidy) and always kept our ice bucket filled.

Some pictures:

DSC02393_zps5f1d4dfc.jpg

DSC02395_zpsfc313620.jpg

DSC02398_zps251d4aa8.jpg

DSC02414_zps62f9c735.jpg

Platinum Dining Room:

DSC02408_zpse72ca37b.jpg

Adults Only Pool:

DSC02423_zps7e62af7b.jpg

I will be on the Glory next week! I am so excited to read the rest of your review, both the good and not so good. How much is a frozen drink? Thanks!

I do believe they were 7.25 + 15% gratuity. Okay there's a peeve of mine...why call it a gratuity if it's automatically added?

Here is a bar menu to refer to:

http://zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

The prices might be slightly different but not much.

I was really excited to try the Taste Bar, and it did not disappoint. They had it 4 nights out of the cruise, and it was delicious each time. I recommend stopping by for a little bit before or after dinner. There was rarely a line.

DSC02447_zpse547664f.jpg

I had emailed Carnival months prior to the cruise asking for a table for 2 for dinner. They told me they would try, but couldn't guarantee it. I'm not really sure why they can't guarantee something like that...Royal Caribbean was able to do it for us on our last cruise. Anyway, we got to the Platinum dining room just before 6 and there was a huge mob of people waiting to get in. That wasn't the case after the first night.

We got to our table to find that it was a table for 6, not 2. I was slightly disappointed, but it was no big deal. Our tablemates didn't talk much, but they were nice.

I was very excited to find a towel animal in our room each night. That was something I missed on our last cruise with Royal Caribbean.

DSC02449_zps78bd7e75.jpg

We decided to check out the Dive In movies since they were playing National Treasure. It's a bit chilly out there, so bring a blanket or a beach towel to cover up with. They even have popcorn! Sadly, the screen went black part way through the movie, though there was still sound. So, we decided to leave.

DSC02451_zpsf2a06bb1.jpg

DSC02455_zps0699361f.jpg

We checked out the EA Sports Bar for the first of many times this cruise. The bartender, Danuel, gave us a sample of Thirsty Frog Red. We loved it! You can order pitchers, so we did. It was about $20.

DSC02458_zps1943e3aa.jpg

We went to the Welcome Aboard show with our cruise director Jacques. Coming from a cruise with the infamous Richard Spacey as our cruise director, Jacques was disappointing. It's not his fault though. :p

We checked out the comedy show at the Ebony Cabaret. Darren Sanders was the first comedian. I was falling asleep though, so we left. Be aware that they do check IDs to see that people are over 18. I think it should be over 17...but that's just my opinion.

Great start! We are on Glory in August so I'm reading everything I can about the ship.

Keep it coming!:D

By the way where exactly you get a popcorn for the movies? At the bar or they have a stand somewhere by the pool?

Edited by Aldeya

There were so many cutbacks for the main show... No live band compared to the Explorer we were on in April. Sets for the background were just lights.

One night no show except for the Hasbro game at 7:30...

I agree with the cruise director compared to Spacey. He rocks!!! Spacey is the king of cruise directors!

There were so many cutbacks for the main show... No live band compared to the Explorer we were on in April. Sets for the background were just lights.

One night no show except for the Hasbro game at 7:30...

I agree with the cruise director compared to Spacey. He rocks!!! Spacey is the king of cruise directors!

When in April were you on the Explorer? That's when we went too! We set sail on March 31st.

Before moving on to Maine, I wanted to mention that I have the Fun Times for each day as well as the room service menu if anyone has questions about those.

We arrived in Portland around 7AM. My cousin lives in Cape Elizabeth, which is very nearby, so she met us. We decided to visit the Portland Head Light. It was only about a 15 minute drive from the port. It was absolutely beautiful there. There are trails you can walk on and get great views of the lighthouse and the ocean. There is also a playground if you have children.

DSC02475_zps4a9600b5.jpg

We went back into Portland and went into a couple of shops. If you like frozen yogurt, be sure to stop in Go Berry. Their froyo is DELICIOUS!!

This was our first elegant night, so we got dressed up and had a nice dinner. The prime rib was pretty disappointing though.

I 'm a teacher like you Narrow so I was on the Easter cruise in April leaving Easter Sunday... The EOS is a fantastic ship and we were so lucky to have the great S as our cruise director.

Keep up your review. Even though we were on the same ship it's great to see feedback.

The EOS next year is doing Bermuda (5) which I'm tired of but there other ship (smaller at 77,000 tons) out of Baltimore is doing the same route as the cruise in 2013.

Great review. Looking forward to the rest. Would love to see a copy of the Fun Times for a Sea day. We will be on the Glory in Oct. and MIL would like to see the activities.

Ditto! I would like to see the show times to see if I need to adjust the Steakhouse reservations.

I 'm a teacher like you Narrow so I was on the Easter cruise in April leaving Easter Sunday... The EOS is a fantastic ship and we were so lucky to have the great S as our cruise director.

Keep up your review. Even though we were on the same ship it's great to see feedback.

The EOS next year is doing Bermuda (5) which I'm tired of but there other ship (smaller at 77,000 tons) out of Baltimore is doing the same route as the cruise in 2013.

We were on the same cruise then! :-D

Someone asked about the show times so I'll include those. For Day 2 in Portland they had Motor City at 8:15 and 10:15. We didn't go since it was the same show on the Pride last summer. Now on to Saint John!

We arrived in Saint John around 8AM. Our excursion wasn't until 12:30, so we had breakfast in the Red Sail buffet. The food was all good and warm, and there was a good variety.

If it makes you feel better, safety drills were held for the crew in the morning.

We had signed up for the Moosehead Pub Crawl online. It was EXCELLENT. We met our tour guide, Terry Keleher, in the cruise terminal at 12:30. He was dressed to impress.

DSC02537_zpsd9c94dd2.jpg

We went to Steamers, Big Tide, and O'Leary's. I must say it was a great time. We got samples at each bar as well as a whole beer of our choice. At our last stop, O'Leary's, there was a guy playing songs on a guitar. It is A LOT of alcohol in a short period of time, so beware of that. :p When we went back to the ship I slept until it was time for the Love and Marriage show.

DSC02541_zps10b774a5.jpg

DSC02545_zps92bff616.jpg

The Love and Marriage (10:15) show questions were identical to those on the Pride last summer. Jacques also used the same "hooker in the missionary position" joke that Jamie did on the Pride...it was overall kind of disappointing.