Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

I say go for it. I have cruised two times solo and have my third one booked solo as well. I made a lot of friends and had a GREAT time. From your post, I know you will enjoy yourself.

2012 Carnival Liberty
2013 Carnival Glory

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm quite a bit older than most of you. I've booked my very first Solo for
Dec. It's my next new adventure. I have a list of them. I'm ready to go. You can do it too.
Carol

Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Solo

I have been to Hawaii and back on Princess 3 times as a solo cruiser.
I do get a huge cruise discount because I am a employee of a Princess related company so that helps a lot with costs. So close to Platinum status so one more cruise to go to get that.
Solo is the way to go, no baggage so to speak. There is a chance I will take my son this time because he is 18 years old this year.

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

To be honest I could not imagine doing a non solo cruise. I hate the thought of having to share the not really spacious cabins with someone else. The time span from seeing an itinerary and date that looks promising to booking is often only 24 hours or less so coordinating with friends and their vacation schedules would be difficult.

Before going the first time I thought it would be super awkward and everyone would notice that I am alone and stare at me. But to be honest I think most don't even notice. I have seen lots of friends and even couples that do different things during the day or evenings or eat alone at breakfast or lunch.
The only time you can probably notice a real solo traveler is for dinner.

It may depend on the cruise line and itinerary but I got the impression it is so normal nowadays that no one acts surprised when you say you want a table for you alone at dinner. I love it now.

Cruise and Vacation Pictures
January 2014 - Norwegian Getaway - Transatlantic
October 2013 - Liberty of the Seas - Transatlantic
April 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - Transatlantic
April 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - 1 nighter
December 2012 - Norwegian Jade - Eastern Mediterranean
June 2012 - Norwegian Epic - Western Mediterranean
January 2012 - Norwegian Jade - Canary Islands
June 2010 - Norwegian Epic - Transatlantic
64 days at see with 11 coming as a solo traveler

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by micm View Post
Before going the first time I thought it would be super awkward and everyone would notice that I am alone and stare at me. But to be honest I think most don't even notice. I have seen lots of friends and even couples that do different things during the day or evenings or eat alone at breakfast or lunch.
The only time you can probably notice a real solo traveler is for dinner.
And even that can be hard to detect with assigned seating, except through conversation if you're sitting at that person's table. (I think NCL puts solos at a disadvantage by not having assigned tables.) I cruised solo twice, and didn't feel awkward even for a second. Come to think of it, I reached a point where I prefer to cruise solo, unless it's with someone who has no problems splitting off from time to time. One person I almost went with was terrified of being alone on the cruise, and wanted to be joined at the hip at all times. So I went solo. The freedom to whatever I feel like and not have to compromise with anyone was great. It really felt like I had the ship all to myself.

Old July 27th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

I cruised solo many years ago on the Ecstasy in was fun, but very expensive because I had a balcony cabin. I really love the balcony cabin so each year the hardest task is to find someone to cruise with to keep the cost down. I may have to give up the balcony and cruise solo. I know that will be very hard to do..

Old July 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady N Red View Post
I cruised solo many years ago on the Ecstasy in was fun, but very expensive because I had a balcony cabin. I really love the balcony cabin so each year the hardest task is to find someone to cruise with to keep the cost down. I may have to give up the balcony and cruise solo. I know that will be very hard to do..
If you can be flexible with your vacation timing, and spend a few minutes every morning checking cruise prices, you can snap up some great solo deals on balcony cabins. That's what I do, because I just would not enjoy cruising without my balcony!

Past cruises:
Celebrity Eclipse 4/2013
Celebrity Constellation 11/2012
Norwegian Sky 11/2012
Celebrity Solstice 11/2011
Caribbean Princess 2005
Sapphire Princess 2004
Golden Princess 2003
Golden Princess 2002
Celebrity Century 2001

Old July 27th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Go for it!

Hi! I am going on my 3rd cruise SOLO! It was not uncomfortable at all. I am 63 years old (feel 53!) and single. If anyone out there is on the Allure Oct 13 cruise, it would be fun to meet. I live in San Diego. I like traveling by myself because I can do what I want. There is always crew onboard to help with anything so don't be afraid to ask!

Linda

Carnival Freedom
October 2011 Western Caribbean

Carnival Liberty
October 2012 Eastern Caribbean

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love my husband and we travel together when possible, but I truly enjoying traveling solo and have cruised solo several times.

You can meet people if you want to or keep to yourself if you don't. I do all of the same things that I do when hubby is there, often times even more. As long as you're comfortable being by yourself you'll be fine cruising solo. Bon Voyage!

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedCruiser01 View Post
And even that can be hard to detect with assigned seating, except through conversation if you're sitting at that person's table. (I think NCL puts solos at a disadvantage by not having assigned tables.) I cruised solo twice, and didn't feel awkward even for a second. Come to think of it, I reached a point where I prefer to cruise solo, unless it's with someone who has no problems splitting off from time to time. One person I almost went with was terrified of being alone on the cruise, and wanted to be joined at the hip at all times. So I went solo. The freedom to whatever I feel like and not have to compromise with anyone was great. It really felt like I had the ship all to myself.

I think that they cater to solos that like that. It's one of the reasons that I cruise with them when I'm solo. I'd rather eat alone than with strangers any day. There are quite a lot of people that are like that, and I think they appreciate not having to go through any changes in being able to be seating in peace by themselves. I sure do. Besides for those that don't want to, they can always go to a solo meet and find someone there to eat with.

Last edited by xenagurl; July 29th, 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I did my first solo last year and loved it! Was great to do what I wanted when i wanted.
Going on trips was good too, all groups keeping an eye on each other making sure they don't lose each other while I was looking at the sites that the trip was for, while they missed it for worrying about losing each other!
It's great being totally selfish to talk to anyone or not is you so wish!
Totally love cruising alone and can't wait for my next one

Go for it! You will love it

Old July 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenagurl View Post
I think that they cater to solos that like that. It's one of the reasons that I cruise with them when I'm solo. I'd rather eat alone than with strangers any day. There are quite a lot of people that are like that, and I think they appreciate not having to go through any changes in being able to be seating in peace by themselves. I sure do. Besides for those that don't want to, they can always go to a solo meet and find someone there to eat with.
To each their own, I suppose. I like the "safety net" aspect of assigned dining; that is, knowing where I'll be sitting and who I'll be sitting with. I've done it twice, and never had bad tablemates. I don't mind eating breakfast and lunch alone, but for dinner, I enjoy having company. And other people are probablty less comfortable sharing a table at dinner than at breakfast and lunch. Yes, I'm aware that I can go to a solo meet to find dinner companions, but that's an extra task for me to do, when I can easily let the cruise line worry about that for me. Heck, that's what cruises are for: to let the crew worry about things for you.

So, in a nutshell: if going solo, I'll stick with CCL and RCI; if going with someone, I'll include NCL as a possible choice.

Old July 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

I looked at one Singles cruise company because I was already booked on that cruise and I wondered whether joining their group might be worthwhile. But when I looked further, it turned out they were very alcohol-oriented. And yes, the first port, their group trip was to a bar. Not what I was looking for, at all.
I agree NCL's freestyle concept isn't very solo-friendly, it's oriented towards groups who usually don't want a single guy joining them. Fixed seating seems to attract people who are more sociable and accepting.

Old July 29th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

I enjoy dining with other folks for dinner as well.
I leave on Sunday and have traditional dining, late seating. The last
cruise I went on I became very friendly with folks on our roll call and
had a group who ate together almost every night. That doesn't happen
every cruise but roll calls are a nice way to meet other people.

As for "Dining with Strangers", I have found most cruisers are quite
friendly.....and should I have issues with imcompatiblity with tablemates, I go to the Maitr'd and ask to be moved.

But I am also in the category of I much, MUCH prefer having dinner
with other folks....I like my own company and do things on my own
all the time but dinner on cruiseship? I love chatting with other folks
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Old July 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think that they cater to solos that like that. It's one of the reasons that I cruise with them when I'm solo. I'd rather eat alone than with strangers any day.
So true, never thought of cruising until I heard about NCLs freestyle dining.

Cruise and Vacation Pictures
January 2014 - Norwegian Getaway - Transatlantic
October 2013 - Liberty of the Seas - Transatlantic
April 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - Transatlantic
April 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway - 1 nighter
December 2012 - Norwegian Jade - Eastern Mediterranean
June 2012 - Norwegian Epic - Western Mediterranean
January 2012 - Norwegian Jade - Canary Islands
June 2010 - Norwegian Epic - Transatlantic
64 days at see with 11 coming as a solo traveler

Old July 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedCruiser01 View Post

So, in a nutshell: if going solo, I'll stick with CCL and RCI; if going with someone, I'll include NCL as a possible choice.
It's nice to have a variety of lines that suit our desires and needs depending on what were looking for at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micm View Post
So true, never thought of cruising until I heard about NCLs freestyle dining.

Same here. That was why Dh and I first took an NCL cruise. We'd been put off at the thought of traditional cruise dining and didn't know that we had options until he did the research.

Old July 29th, 2013, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I'd much rather eat with strangers than eat alone - you never know who you'll meet or what interesting things they might have to offer for an hour or two. I think there are a lot of people who fear strangers and are only comfortable around those they already know, which is why so many cruise lines no longer seat strangers together at meals (i.e. have open dining).

Old July 30th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk806 View Post
And how did you like it? Did you keep to yourself or meet other people to hang out with? I just got back from a cruise and have a nice credit to use for another that will expire soon and for some reason though I had a blast cruising with my girlfriends as a group ages 22-30 (who wouldnt?) but I kind of have a desire to go by myself just for the adventure. I do like alone time, but I also like to hang out with others sometimes, though I doubt Id have trouble making friends, our group made friends with the other group of girlfriends seated at our dining table, and a few times I wanted to do something different at night than my friends so I went with the other girls, and same for the other girls in both of our groups, we kind of mixed and matched with whoever wanted to do the same thing. I made a lot of friends on the ship. So I think I could find some friends to hang out with at times, but Im still a little nervous about going alone. Can anyone tell me they loved it or hated it?
First off....I love cruising, period. It's doesn't matter if I go by myself or with friends or family. I think most solo cruiser worry too much about whether or not they will either feel lonely or out of place or how other passengers or crew will treat them...good or bad. What I've learn over many years of sailing solo...I don't worry about those things. You must need to pick the right ship, accommodation and itinerary and GO. I plan everything I want to see and do on board the ship and off. I don't worry about sailing solo because I've yet to have a bad cruise experience on the 30+ cruises I've been on. Sure, you will have been times alone and sometime you might feel a tad out of place, but the good times I've had meeting new people and seeing new places far outweigh any negatives if any. I've traveled with friends and family and it wasn't all that great because you have to accommodate what everyone want to do and drama that goes along with it. Also, getting involved with the Roll Calls for your sailing allows you to connect with people prior to your cruise. Group dining and activities also allow you to connect with people during your cruises. Again, if you have the time and money and desire to cruise then there really isn't any reason not to go. If you are still nervous - start with a short cruise and get your feet wet. What's the worst that can happen? It's only a week or so out of your life. If you go into with a positive attitude you will have positive time. If you go into it with a negative attitude I guarantee you will have a negative experience. Just my two cents.

Old July 30th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMBOY View Post
First off....I love cruising, period. It's doesn't matter if I go by myself or with friends or family. I think most solo cruiser worry too much about whether or not they will either feel lonely or out of place or how other passengers or crew will treat them...good or bad. What I've learn over many years of sailing solo...I don't worry about those things. You must need to pick the right ship, accommodation and itinerary and GO. I plan everything I want to see and do on board the ship and off. I don't worry about sailing solo because I've yet to have a bad cruise experience on the 30+ cruises I've been on. Sure, you will have been times alone and sometime you might feel a tad out of place, but the good times I've had meeting new people and seeing new places far outweigh any negatives if any. I've traveled with friends and family and it wasn't all that great because you have to accommodate what everyone want to do and drama that goes along with it. Also, getting involved with the Roll Calls for your sailing allows you to connect with people prior to your cruise. Group dining and activities also allow you to connect with people during your cruises. Again, if you have the time and money and desire to cruise then there really isn't any reason not to go. If you are still nervous - start with a short cruise and get your feet wet. What's the worst that can happen? It's only a week or so out of your life. If you go into with a positive attitude you will have positive time. If you go into it with a negative attitude I guarantee you will have a negative experience. Just my two cents.
Explorer of the seas 5/02
Carnival Paradise 5/03
Adventure of the seas 5/04
Explorer of the seas 6/05
Navigator of the seas 8/06
Freedom of the seas 6/12
Mariner of the seas 3/24/13
Freedom of the seas 9/1/13
Independence of the seas 3/29/14