Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old July 30th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bringing own life vest for 21 mo old

Hi,
Im going to be going on cruise to Alaska in a few days and I did not know if I should bring a life vest for my son that is 21 months. I know they have them on the ship, but I did not know if they would have them small enough for him and was not sure about the ports where we have to take a tender. Any info would be great. Thank you

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM
50,000+ Club

They will have life jackets for a 2 year old...but you will not be able to take it ashore! It's for emergency's on the ship ONLY. So, bring one, if you feel the need. They do have floatation devices on the tenders, in case of emergency.

Tenders are pretty large....not a rowboat or anything that small!!!

Old July 30th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

They have life vests in all sizes. Check your room as soon as you get onboard if there isn't one that will fit him. Your room steward will bring one.

Life vests are just for emergencies of course, if you feel you need one for other things, you will need to bring your own.

Old July 30th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

We brought one with us for our last cruise, feb 2013. It was a little difficult to find one 'off season' but I did locate one at an outdoor stuff retailer (Canadian Tire). I was just a bit paranoid that the cruise line would forget to put one or not even have one small enough for our then 9 month old. Granted, I found one that he was 2 lbs short of the minimum weight suggestion but I felt better having something secured for him. It wasn't that bad to pack either. I just put it at the top of our luggage and it melded nicely.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
Norwegian Dawn 2008
Carnival Glory 2009
Golden Princess 2011
Oasis Of the Seas 2013
Next up: NCL Pearl Sept 2013

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Are you planning on bringing a car-seat for any ground transportation you might use?

Old July 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I brought one for my then 4 year old. She loves to swim but can't yet. So with pools and such she knows she has to wear it.

Old July 31st, 2013, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
Are you planning on bringing a car-seat for any ground transportation you might use?
Yes we are bringing a Car seat, to get to and from the ship and if we do any excursions in the ports.

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
They will have life jackets for a 2 year old...but you will not be able to take it ashore! It's for emergency's on the ship ONLY. So, bring one, if you feel the need. They do have floatation devices on the tenders, in case of emergency.

Tenders are pretty large....not a rowboat or anything that small!!!
Ditto this, plus the life vests supplied on board are for ocean survival/rescue. What most people but in a store are swimming devices.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishnyc View Post
Ditto this, plus the life vests supplied on board are for ocean survival/rescue. What most people but in a store are swimming devices.
Good point, didn't even think about that. The vests have whistles, lights and reflectors. The infant sized ones also have an additional cloth piece that covers the back so there is no chance even a tiny child could slip out.

Below is a photo of my son at 6 months. We tried on the vest as soon as the steward brought it in case it didn't fit right. Also if there had been an emergency we didn't want to waste precious time trying to figure out the vest.
I'd suggest anyone getting an infant vest do this as you kind of slide the child into it like a harness rather than put it on like a regular vest. I also put mine on and practiced holding him while wearing it. It was surprisingly more difficult than expected(but very doable)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mexican Cruise 2012 164.jpg (16.7 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by lrowe70; August 2nd, 2013 at 03:10 AM.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynshep View Post
Hi,
Im going to be going on cruise to Alaska in a few days and I did not know if I should bring a life vest for my son that is 21 months. I know they have them on the ship, but I did not know if they would have them small enough for him and was not sure about the ports where we have to take a tender. Any info would be great. Thank you
Do you have any tender ports? Most Alaska ports don't require tendering. I've been to Alaska 6 times and never had to tender, but I've only been to the most common ports, not the smaller ones like Icy Strait Point that does require tendering. Depending on your ports, this might not be an issue.
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!