Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 18th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Frederick Sound whales

This has been an amazing year for whale activity in Frederick Sound. Be on deck when you transit. I just made a daylight Sitka to Petersburg run and the estimate was 75-100 sightings. The chief mate said they were actively dodging whales.

From my front porch last night
le conte glacier, the most southern saltwater glacier in north america. the constant supply of ice it provided helped create the fish packing industry in petersburg. the abundance of fish also helped.

Old August 18th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

I am always out here, and advocate for others to consider it. Bottom line, few people bother. What a loss. I can't count the times, I've been out by myself.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Old August 18th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

we've both mentioned this chunk of water before; feeding grounds to ~half of the humpbacks in southeast.

a friend i was traveling with said you know it's great when even the locals go out on deck.
le conte glacier, the most southern saltwater glacier in north america. the constant supply of ice it provided helped create the fish packing industry in petersburg. the abundance of fish also helped.

Old August 18th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Will be there next week. Absolutely delighted to see your post and know we're likely to see whales. What a treat!

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottom-dragger View Post
This has been an amazing year for whale activity in Frederick Sound. Be on deck when you transit. I just made a daylight Sitka to Petersburg run and the estimate was 75-100 sightings. The chief mate said they were actively dodging whales.
I will be on the Diamond Princess Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver on September 7. We do Hubbard Glacier-8th, Glacier Bay-9th, Skagway-10th, Juneau-11th, Ketchikan-12th, at Sea-13th, Vancouver-14th. Will we be anywhere near Frederick Sound? If so can you tell me which day so I can be on the lookout. Thank you

Brenda

Old August 19th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I will be on the Diamond Princess Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver on September 7. We do Hubbard Glacier-8th, Glacier Bay-9th, Skagway-10th, Juneau-11th, Ketchikan-12th, at Sea-13th, Vancouver-14th. Will we be anywhere near Frederick Sound? If so can you tell me which day so I can be on the lookout. Thank you
Using the best information available, repeated tossing of the I Ching, and a great big SWAG, I believe that you'll transit Frederick Sound on your Juneau - Ketchikan leg. After ~ 3 hours departing Juneau, you'll be close to the Brothers Island, 3 Finger lighthouse, and entering Frederick Sound from the north and then turning west.

http://www.psgmmc.org/pages/research/frederick.html

good luck.

Old August 19th, 2013, 11:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise831 View Post

Brenda
Find your naturalist onboard. They should be able to tell you the approximate times that you will be transiting whale feeding areas and other areas of interest. Ours had a map that she would update each day after communicating with the bridge with the times and locations.

Old August 20th, 2013, 05:21 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise831 View Post

Brenda
It will be after leaving Juneau. I stayed out until about 9pm, ship left at 4pm I believe. I've always seen humpbacks, and you also go right by Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm entrance where there is usually ice. Binoculars are necessary, with my only preference being wide angle.

This is a consistent hot spot humpback area, over many years, so with this concentration, it's not to be missed in my opinion, BUT, few people will take advantage, just the way it is. I'm usually out by myself.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com