Frederick Sound whales

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:09 AM.
petersburg, alaska
1,355 Posts
Joined May 2008
This has been an amazing year for whale activity in Frederick Sound. Be on deck when you transit. I just made a daylight Sitka to Petersburg run and the estimate was 75-100 sightings. The chief mate said they were actively dodging whales.

From my front porch last night
Syracuse, New York
50,228 Posts
Joined May 2000
I am always out here, and advocate for others to consider it. Bottom line, few people bother. What a loss. I can't count the times, I've been out by myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
petersburg, alaska
1,355 Posts
Joined May 2008
we've both mentioned this chunk of water before; feeding grounds to ~half of the humpbacks in southeast.

a friend i was traveling with said you know it's great when even the locals go out on deck.
Deer Park, Texas
156 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by bottom-dragger
This has been an amazing year for whale activity in Frederick Sound. Be on deck when you transit. I just made a daylight Sitka to Petersburg run and the estimate was 75-100 sightings. The chief mate said they were actively dodging whales.
I will be on the Diamond Princess Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver on September 7. We do Hubbard Glacier-8th, Glacier Bay-9th, Skagway-10th, Juneau-11th, Ketchikan-12th, at Sea-13th, Vancouver-14th. Will we be anywhere near Frederick Sound? If so can you tell me which day so I can be on the lookout. Thank you

Brenda
petersburg, alaska
1,355 Posts
Joined May 2008
I will be on the Diamond Princess Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver on September 7. We do Hubbard Glacier-8th, Glacier Bay-9th, Skagway-10th, Juneau-11th, Ketchikan-12th, at Sea-13th, Vancouver-14th. Will we be anywhere near Frederick Sound? If so can you tell me which day so I can be on the lookout. Thank you
Using the best information available, repeated tossing of the I Ching, and a great big SWAG, I believe that you'll transit Frederick Sound on your Juneau - Ketchikan leg. After ~ 3 hours departing Juneau, you'll be close to the Brothers Island, 3 Finger lighthouse, and entering Frederick Sound from the north and then turning west.

http://www.psgmmc.org/pages/research/frederick.html

good luck.
Anchorage, Alaska
3,182 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
Originally posted by Cruise831

Brenda
Find your naturalist onboard. They should be able to tell you the approximate times that you will be transiting whale feeding areas and other areas of interest. Ours had a map that she would update each day after communicating with the bridge with the times and locations.
Syracuse, New York
50,228 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Cruise831

Brenda
It will be after leaving Juneau. I stayed out until about 9pm, ship left at 4pm I believe. I've always seen humpbacks, and you also go right by Tracy Arm and Endicott Arm entrance where there is usually ice. Binoculars are necessary, with my only preference being wide angle.

This is a consistent hot spot humpback area, over many years, so with this concentration, it's not to be missed in my opinion, BUT, few people will take advantage, just the way it is. I'm usually out by myself.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]