Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old June 27th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile We are in Boca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFemmeKat View Post
We are married in maine but now live in florida as well.. The fight continues..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app
Where are you!
1535 is our room on Celebrity Silhouette from Ft. Lauderdale to Cetevechia Rome, Italy.
Anyone on this ship?
Dale

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 4th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default First time cruise planned for 2014

So glad I found this thread. My partner and I have never been on a cruise before, but some friends took a cruise to Alaska last year and we decided that's the way we want to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We're booked on the Coral Princess for next July for their Voyage of the Glaciers cruise, and we're very excited! We would also like to try a short Caribbean cruise in Feb. 2014 in order to get out of the Michigan cold, but I'm currently undergoing cancer treatment so we'll have to see what we can afford.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions to ask you more experienced cruising women, but here's one that's been on my mind since we booked: my partner looks fabulous in anything she wears and LOVES to dress up in what I euphemistically call "girl clothes," so formal nights will be like heaven for her. I'm more of a jeans and sweatshirt type, and when I dress up it tends to be more "business dyke." The idea of putting on a cocktail dress fills me with a mixture of amusement and dread. Any suggestions for what is appropriate dress on formal nights? I don't want to stand out by look underdressed but I certainly don't want to feel awkward and uncomfortable. Thanks!

Last edited by newcruiserMI; July 4th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcruiserMI View Post
So glad I found this thread. My partner and I have never been on a cruise before, but some friends took a cruise to Alaska last year and we decided that's the way we want to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We're booked on the Coral Princess for next July for their Voyage of the Glaciers cruise, and we're very excited! We would also like to try a short Caribbean cruise in Feb. 2014 in order to get out of the Michigan cold, but I'm currently undergoing cancer treatment so we'll have to see what we can afford.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions to ask you more experienced cruising women, but here's one that's been on my mind since we booked: my partner looks fabulous in anything she wears and LOVES to dress up in what I euphemistically call "girl clothes," so formal nights will be like heaven for her. I'm more of a jeans and sweatshirt type, and when I dress up it tends to be more "business dyke." The idea of putting on a cocktail dress fills me with a mixture of amusement and dread. Any suggestions for what is appropriate dress on formal nights? I don't want to stand out by look underdressed but I certainly don't want to feel awkward and uncomfortable. Thanks!
My gf wears a suit on the first formal night, and a button-down shirt with a tie and slacks on the second formal night.
Carnival Ecstasy - March 31 - April 4, 2014 - Sailed
Carnival Sunshine - April 17-19, 2014 - Sailed
Carnival Sunshine - October 12-17, 2014 - Will Book

Old July 4th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

First and most important -- I am sorry you have cancer and send all good thoughts that the treatment is successful and that you and your partner have many more happy years of cruising together!

Congrats on your 20th anniversary! My partner and I also celebrated our 20th anniversary (15 years ago!) with an Alaska cruise as well as ten days pre-cruise driving around the interior of Alaska, which was truly awesome. I highly recommend some time on land in Alaska for those who can swing it.

As for formal nights: it sounds like I fall more into your end of the dressing spectrum. I haven't worn a skirt or a dress in nearly 20 years on land, and I'm sure not about to do so on a cruise ship! For true formal nights (e.g., on Celebrity), what I wear is dressy black slacks, a nice black top, and a glitzy jacket. Or skip the jacket and wear a dressy top. Very comfortable, and sort of fun to dress up every now and then (though jeans or khakis and a polo shirt would be my attire of choice). You'll see many heterosexual women similarly dressed.

And from reading threads on CC, I think folks on Alaska cruises tend to be a little less formally dressed in any event, but you will also get helpful info if you ask your question on the Princess board, or do a search there. Regardless of sexual orientation, women all over CC are wondering what to wear on formal nights; the guys have it so much easier! (OTOH, you could wear a tux. )

Old July 5th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Formal nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstarmami View Post
My gf wears a suit on the first formal night, and a button-down shirt with a tie and slacks on the second formal night.
People dress however they want today, just not shorts and tank top in the dining room.
As for Formal, hardly anyone wears gowns anymore and you won't catch me in a dress. Black slacks and a dressy shirt that complements your partner is great. You don't have to be a dyke to not want to wear the so called "girls clothes". I hated them since I am 4. Just be comfortable and enjoy.🌹

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I had a feeling I would be safe in black dressy slacks and a nice top. Love the tuxedo idea to a certain degree, but when I mentioned it my Darling Partner looked horrified, so I guess I won't.

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hi,

me and my wife were on our first cruise last year and really enjoyed the formal dinners. They had everything there ...all the way from jeans and poloshirt to formal long gowns and suits and tuxes. Anything goes. I wore a dress (love to dress up when I get a chance to every couple of years ) and my wife wears business suits --- she just looks a lot sexier that way and feels less "costumized".
Sigh -- Alaska sounds wonderful, just a whee bit cold. We're off to our first "family" med cruise in 5 days with our fosterson! Can hardly wait!

Stef

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1890431
Pictoral Review --Serenade of the Seas --July 2013-- 12 day Med cruise

past cruises:
2012 -- Adventure of the Seas
2013 -- Serenade of the Seas

Old July 17th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always wear a suit and tie on formal nights, no issues at all. I wish I had the extra scratch for a tuxedo, but that's not in the budget this season.

I know that Dana's on the sailing after us on Allure of the Seas - anyone else sailing WITH us next month on Aug 18?

08/18/13 - Looking forward to RC's Allure of the Seas!
05/14/12 - Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean
10/11/10 - Carnival Imagination - Western Caribbean

Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artjax View Post
I always wear a suit and tie on formal nights, no issues at all. I wish I had the extra scratch for a tuxedo, but that's not in the budget this season.

I know that Dana's on the sailing after us on Allure of the Seas - anyone else sailing WITH us next month on Aug 18?
I can't believe how close we are getting to our Allure sailing.
I'm so READY!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Our embarkment day wedding review: ~Norwegian Jewel~ 7/30/11 ...
---------------------------
Dana
(aka/Lipz wearing headpiece)
&
Sharine

Cruising Ship Wedding Planning.....!!!
------------------------------------------------
August 2014 - Explorer of the Seas
New Jersey-> Kings Wharf, Bermuda -> Philipsburg, St. Maarten -> San Juan, Puerto Rico -> Labadee, Haiti
May 2014 - Carnival Breeze
Miami, FL -> Key West, FL -> Grand Cayman, Cayman Island -> Cozumel, Mexico
August 2013 - Allure of the Seas
Fort Lauderdale, FL -> Labadee, Haiti -> Falmouth, Jamaica -> Cozumel, Mexico
May 2013 - Norwegian Breakaway
New York -> Bermuda
July 2012 - Carnival Miracle
New York -> San Juan, Puerto Rico -> St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands -> Grand Turk
August 2011 - Carnival Glory
New York -> Saint John, Canada-> Halifax, Canada
July 2011 - Norwegian Jewel
New York -> Port Canaveral, FL -> Great Stirrup Cay -> Nassau
May 2009 - RCI Majesty of the Seas
Miami -> Cocoa Cay -> Nassau
August 2004 - Carnival Imagination
Miami -> Key West (cancelled) -> Cozumel

Old August 23rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Any FOD's on the Carnival Liberty 10/5/13 sailing or on the Allure of the Seas 10/12/14 sailing?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk - now Free

Carnival Liberty(Exotic Eastern Caribbean) - 4/14/12 - 7 Day - SAILED

Carnival Breeze(Eastern Caribbean) - 3/16/13 - 8 Day - SAILED

Carnival Ecstasy(Western) - 3/31/14 - 4 Day - SAILED

Carnival Sunshine(Southern Caribbean) - 10/04/14 - 8 Day - Inquiring

Carnival Splendor(Southern Caribbean) - 11/01/14 - 8 Day - Inquiring

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I wore a suit on my first cruise and found that it was very overdressed. So now I just wear a button down men's blouse/shirt with a nice collar, some dress slacks(like men's dress pants), a nice leather sleek belt and some men's dress shoes. Oh and a nice watch. And I'm good to go lol. No tie anymore for me. I love this type of button down because of those two buttons that keep your collar down. Leave the first button unbuttoned just like the pic and you're good to go!

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinklover954 View Post
Any FOD's on the Carnival Liberty 10/5/13 sailing or on the Allure of the Seas 10/12/14 sailing?

We just sailed on the Allure of the Seas and I can tell you that they do not post FOD in their daily compass but there is a bulletin board by guest services that tells you when and where they meet. On our sailing they meet daily at 5:00pm in the Champagne Bar. We never went though as we would be busy doing something else and remember when it's to late. There's so much to see and do on that ship.

Dana
&
Sharine

New Jersey-> Kings Wharf, Bermuda -> Philipsburg, St. Maarten -> San Juan, Puerto Rico -> Labadee, Haiti
New York -> Bermuda
New York -> San Juan, Puerto Rico -> St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands -> Grand Turk

Last edited by Lipz; August 23rd, 2013 at 09:33 AM.

Old August 24th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipz View Post
We just sailed on the Allure of the Seas and I can tell you that they do not post FOD in their daily compass but there is a bulletin board by guest services that tells you when and where they meet. On our sailing they meet daily at 5:00pm in the Champagne Bar. We never went though as we would be busy doing something else and remember when it's to late. There's so much to see and do on that ship.

Yes I see this ship has a lot going on. We've been researching and watching YouTubes of everything their is to know about sailing with Royal and about this ship. We tried once going to a FOD meeting on the Carnival Breeze just this past March and it was soooo underwhelming. So I decided to just look around on threads for any 'family' that may be on our sailing, as we already know we will not be attending another FOD meeting again lol.

Old August 24th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes I see this ship has a lot going on. We've been researching and watching YouTubes of everything their is to know about sailing with Royal and about this ship. We tried once going to a FOD meeting on the Carnival Breeze just this past March and it was soooo underwhelming. So I decided to just look around on threads for any 'family' that may be on our sailing, as we already know we will not be attending another FOD meeting again lol.

I feel you on the FOD. Every time we have attempted to attend there's been no one there. On the Breakaway in May there was some what of a FOD. We had met a couple on here pre-cruise so we did see them during the FOD hour in one of the bars. We didn't meet anyone else though. This trip we were just to busy with having fun to remember.

If you have any specific 'Allure' questions free to ask since we were just on her two weeks ago.

We are planning for 2014 but I feel like once you do such a great ship with so much to do, anything else seems simply mundane lol.

Dana
&
Sharine

New York -> Bermuda

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi All,

Just found this thread. I've been on two Olivia cruises (WONDERFUL time, well worth doing if you can afford it) and one "straight" cruise to Alaska on HAL with my partner, her son and her parents last year. I was concerned about dressing up as well (not so much on Olivia). For formal night, I ended up wearing a women's tux (Jones New York, I think) and an open-collar tux shirt that I bought from a company that specializes in restaurant uniforms. I looked and felt great. BTW, we had no issues being out on the "straight" cruise--the photographer even asked us what our relationship was so she could "pose us properly"

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipz View Post
I feel you on the FOD. Every time we have attempted to attend there's been no one there. On the Breakaway in May there was some what of a FOD. We had met a couple on here pre-cruise so we did see them during the FOD hour in one of the bars. We didn't meet anyone else though. This trip we were just to busy with having fun to remember.

If you have any specific 'Allure' questions free to ask since we were just on her two weeks ago.

We are planning for 2014 but I feel like once you do such a great ship with so much to do, anything else seems simply mundane lol.
Well I'm sure that there will be tons of questions to be asked as we get closer to the sailing date. Aha! I have one already! What deck do you feel is the best deck to be on? I personally want to be near the fun and as it will be "my" birthday celebration this go around, I have switched our cabin to deck 14 right under all the fun. I know some may be put off by the noise concern, but we have an interior cabin right under the teen club. I feel like since this will be our first cruise outside of Carnival and being that this ship has sooo much more to offer, that we won't even be in the cabin long enough to be annoyed by noise factors.

We were initially on deck 9 in order to be close to Central Park. We are foodies and plan on making a stop at every restaurant on that deck. But we are also the outdoorsy/adventurous type(only when cruising), so I figured there would be more instances of us going to deck 15 than going to deck 8.

Would love to hear your input on this! :-)

Old August 30th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
What deck do you feel is the best deck to be on? I personally want to be near the fun and as it will be "my" birthday celebration this go around, I have switched our cabin to deck 14 right under all the fun. I know some may be put off by the noise concern, but we have an interior cabin right under the teen club.
Speaking only for myself, I prefer to book a cabin that is not above or below any public space, unless maybe it's the card room. I like to have cabins above and below me.
USNS Kane -- Spain and Canary Islands (summer 1973)
USNS Wilkes -- Spain and British Isles (summer 1974)
Dolphin Cruise Lines Dolphin IV -- Florida and Bahamas (July 1992 (?), with Olivia)
NCL Dynasty -- Alaska (Seward to Vancouver) (Aug. 1998, with Olivia)
NCL Majesty -- Florida and Western Caribbean (R/T Charleston) (Feb. 2008)
NCL Jade -- Eastern and Western Med (R/T Barcelona) (Jan./Feb. 2010)
NCL Jewel -- Bahamas and Florida (R/T NY) (Oct. 2010)
Viking River Cruises Emerald -- China (May 2011)
NCL Gem -- Bermuda (R/T NY) (Oct. 2011)
Celebrity Eclipse -- EB Transatlantic (Miami to Southampton) (April/May 2012, with Pied Piper)
National Geographic/Lindblad Explorer -- Antarctica (Jan./Feb. 2013) photo journal here
Celebrity Infinity -- WB Transatlantic (Harwich to Miami) (Oct./Nov. 2013, with Pied Piper)

Scheduled
Celebrity Silhouette -- WB Transatlantic (Rome to Ft. Lauderdale) (Nov. 2014)

NCL Gem -- Canada and Maine (R/T NY) (June 2015)

Old August 31st, 2013, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtles06 View Post
Speaking only for myself, I prefer to book a cabin that is not above or below any public space, unless maybe it's the card room. I like to have cabins above and below me.
Yeah some people would be concerned being under a teen club. But I know they won't be jooking around as long as the adult clubs lol. And we are most likely never going to be in our cabins because we may be at the adult club lol. This will be our first time on such a big ship as this one, so we will be exploring a lot. And we're both 26(soon to be 27 in October) so I myself may get so drunk that any teens dancing around may not even bother me. Nakia although is not a drinker, so I should be concerned as to if kids being at a nightclub till about midnight would bother her. But we do go to sleep late, so I'm really thinking it won't be a problem.

::Shrugs:: I really don't know how this will play out, but I guess we shall see! Rofl!

Old September 1st, 2013, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Well I'm sure that there will be tons of questions to be asked as we get closer to the sailing date. Aha! I have one already! What deck do you feel is the best deck to be on? I personally want to be near the fun and as it will be "my" birthday celebration this go around, I have switched our cabin to deck 14 right under all the fun. I know some may be put off by the noise concern, but we have an interior cabin right under the teen club. I feel like since this will be our first cruise outside of Carnival and being that this ship has sooo much more to offer, that we won't even be in the cabin long enough to be annoyed by noise factors.

We were initially on deck 9 in order to be close to Central Park. We are foodies and plan on making a stop at every restaurant on that deck. But we are also the outdoorsy/adventurous type(only when cruising), so I figured there would be more instances of us going to deck 15 than going to deck 8.

I guess choosing where to room is a very personal thing, such as choosing to sleep or not sleep. We never really think about it and just go with whatever our agent books. We've yet to have a bad cruise. As for our cabin on the Allure we were on deck 12, 12664 to be exact. The best thing was that we were one cabin away from the elevator which was great especially at the end of a long day. The only negative was that we did hear noise but that mainly came from any person who decided to run down the hallway instead of walk, and above us there seem to be some noise because who ever was above was moving their furniture. None of these things bothered us though as we were to busy having a great time.

We also had friends right next door, and on deck 11 forward.....no one had any complaints.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Dana
&
Sharine

New York -> Bermuda

Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I just got off the Allure yesterday, awesome ship. As someone else mentioned choosing a cabin is a personal decision Unless it's a guarantee, I prefer to select my cabin as we all like different things. On this sailing, I was assigned an aft cabin on deck 6. I thought I was going to hate the location but I was wrong. The Broadwalk/Schooner bar and photo studio are also on deck 6. The royal promenade is one deck down on deck 5. The sports pool. crown viking lounge and windjammer (buffet) are also located in the aft of the ship on higher decks. It felt like I was close to everything and did not need to use the elevators much.

The solarium, Blaze (night club), comedy show, main theater, studio B and the casino are located on decks in the forward part of the ship. Deck 8 is another good deck, imo. Central Park is so relaxing.

As for the teen club, my son participated and there are schedule activities that do not begin until midnight.

Last edited by bonvoyagelady; September 2nd, 2013 at 11:08 PM.