Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > 55+ Cruisers
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

55+ Cruisers Cruise Critic's Senior Cruising Resources

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 7th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default Anyone close to retirement? Take two!

I notice that there is an 'Anyone close to retirement'? It is pretty long and the last posts were a year ago. As I can retire next summer when I will be 55, I thought I would start another. I have a little dilemma. Financially, it makes more sense for me to wait until 2016. It is manageable for me to go next year though, my monthly budget for day-day-life would mean being careful, but I would have enough savings for several lovely cruises. I tell myself that, yes, financially I'd be better off if I waited another year, but that will apply every year, so when would it be enough to make it an easy decision?

Over the last 12 months, I have heard of several people (friends and relatives of friends and colleagues) who have died suddenly, or developed serious illness in their 50s. I know that we can't predict the future and none of us know how long we have for our plans. Also, my OH is retired. He went early from teaching, aged 56. He will be 61 next year. I really feel I want to retire so that we can spend time gardening, cruising etc together, but I do struggle with the nagging thought that I should wait. We have only been together for 5 years, our kids are grown and we love spending time together.

Anyone else here dealing with this, or been where I am? Did you go, or stay? Was it the right decision in retrospect?

Last edited by Priya2; August 7th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
toonhibby toonhibby is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 81
Default

Hi I'm due to retire in 2yrs 8months DW in 10year we are aiming to get her retired in 4year we want to spend time together.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old August 9th, 2013, 03:59 PM
germanyboy's Avatar
germanyboy germanyboy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 862
Default

My wife, a half dozen years older than I, retired in 2003 at age 59, after a bout of breast cancer. Doing well after treatments back then.

Travelled with her friend many times as I slaved away at work.

I retired in 2009 at 59, and then got major prostate cancer in 2011, doing well after 6 months of treatments then.

Had first big cruise just before diagnosis, and another one right after treatments.

If you can, retire as soon as you can, because you don't know what will happen down the road
__________________
I came over on the boat, and boy, are my arms tired from rowing!

USNS General Alexander M Patch Bremerhaven to New York City August 1955
Grand Circle Cruise River Harmony Frankfurt to Amsterdam December 2005
Celebrity Mercury Panama Canal Repo San Diego to Baltimore October 2010
Celebrity Century Hawaii to Ensenada March-April 2012
Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Alaska to Seattle May 2014

Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old August 9th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default

Yes, time together is so important. Germanyboy, I know you are right. My instincts are telling me so! August 2014 it is then

Last edited by Priya2; August 9th, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Debbdo's Avatar
Debbdo Debbdo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 248
Default


Retirement does not have to mean loss of income. I retired from my full time government job at the age of 52. I was lucky that I had 31+ years and could retire with full benefits. My husband is younger and has a sufficient income, so money wasn't as much of an issue as my mental and physical wellness and the stress the job caused me. I struggled for over 2 years trying to decide if I should retire. After 6 months off, I decided retirement wasn't making me as happy as I had assumed it would, so I went back to work part time. I have had several jobs over the past 6 years and now work 4 hours a day, 3 days a week at a dream of a job. So yes, I am retired, but I still work. The difference is I work because I want to, not because I have to. My sister did the same thing. She retired from a very stressful government position, but went back to work after a year in the private sector.

Yes, I consider myself VERY lucky! Not a lot of people can say they have a dream job.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old August 9th, 2013, 06:41 PM
hateswaterloves2cruise hateswaterloves2cruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: central New York
Posts: 727
Default

I worked for 30 years in a small local government job. At 25 years the state offered an incentive that I was just eligible for. I debated leaving and my DH had retired many years earlier as he is 16 years older than I am. I decided that it just wasn't the right time. I went the additional 5 years (would have been better if it had been 3) and retired 6 years ago. Our health is good, but at 83 and 67 everyone usually has issues. We travel as often as we can. DH still works PT, I do a lot of volunteer jobs. Heading to Bermuda in a few weeks, and we always do a cruise in Feb to get out of the crazy CNY winter weather.
Basically I think you know when you are ready, and you know when you are not. Good luck and happy traveling.
__________________
3 Carnival, 1 Celebrity, 2 Princess, 12 NCL
next up: NCL Dawn to Bermuda, Sept 5, 2014
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Scrapnana's Avatar
Scrapnana Scrapnana is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 8,566
Default

I expected to keep working for many more years and then I turned 60. A lot of people have a difficult time dealing with one of the "0" birthdays and 60 was mine. I got to thinking about all the things I would love to do if I retired (especially my long anticipated world cruise) and wondering if I would have the time to do it all. I spent that year thinking about it and figuring out budgets. When I crunched all the numbers and realized I could live comfortably (cruising is my only major expense) I retired at 61. I have loved every minute since then.
__________________
Evangeline - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - 1962
Queen Mary - 1962
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014






World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Scrapnana; August 9th, 2013 at 10:58 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old August 10th, 2013, 12:54 AM
journeymore's Avatar
journeymore journeymore is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya2 View Post
I notice that there is an 'Anyone close to retirement'? It is pretty long and the last posts were a year ago. As I can retire next summer when I will be 55, I thought I would start another. I have a little dilemma. Financially, it makes more sense for me to wait until 2016. It is manageable for me to go next year though, my monthly budget for day-day-life would mean being careful, but I would have enough savings for several lovely cruises. I tell myself that, yes, financially I'd be better off if I waited another year, but that will apply every year, so when would it be enough to make it an easy decision?

Over the last 12 months, I have heard of several people (friends and relatives of friends and colleagues) who have died suddenly, or developed serious illness in their 50s. I know that we can't predict the future and none of us know how long we have for our plans. Also, my OH is retired. He went early from teaching, aged 56. He will be 61 next year. I really feel I want to retire so that we can spend time gardening, cruising etc together, but I do struggle with the nagging thought that I should wait. We have only been together for 5 years, our kids are grown and we love spending time together.

Anyone else here dealing with this, or been where I am? Did you go, or stay? Was it the right decision in retrospect?
I turned 55 last September. At that point I became eligable to retire. I'm taking it year by year. I'm looking now at 56 1/2. Don't know if I'll go then or not but I anticipate 59 1/2 to be my absolute max. I'm trying to get as close as possible to 65 to reduce the amount I'll pay over the years for insurance.
__________________
[
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:22 PM
misty57's Avatar
misty57 misty57 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,403
Default

If I could retire or work part time I would ( at 56 yo) do it in a heart beat. Unfortunately I carry our health insurance for both DH and myself. It will be at least 9 years before I can even come close to affording to retire.. when we are both on medicare. DH is self employed and will probably work until he can't stand up anymore, but will slow down a little as our son is a business partner and can carry some of the work. Everyone's life situation is different... with 4 children raised and educated our funds have been tapped into pretty heavily over the years. Add to that the market dips and the retirement pool has been drained down a bit over the years. Lets hope for good health and the cash to cruise for as long as possible, retirement or no.
__________________
Rhapsody of the Seas 8/22/2014 Alaska
Navigator of the Seas 2/23/2014 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 8/31/13 Western Carribean
Oasis of the Seas 2/23/13 Eastern Carribean
Jewel of the Seas 10/21/12 New England/Canada
Allure of the Seas 2/26/2012 Western Carribean
Explorer of the Seas 9/10/2011 Bermuda
Freedom of the Seas 2/27/2011 Eastern Carribean
Majesty of the Seas 10/2010 Bahamas
Adventure of the Seas 2/2010 Southern Carribean
Liberty of the Seas 1/3/09 Eastern Carribean
Voyager of the Seas 2/24/08 Western Carribean
Freedom of the Seas 3/07 Western Carribean
Vision of the Seas 3/05 Mexican Riviera
Adventure of the Seas 8/04 Southern Carribean
Imagination 8/01 Western Carribean
Sovereign of the Seas 8/1994 Eastern Carribean
Fantasy 9/1991 Bahamas
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default

Amen Misty
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:09 AM
CateW's Avatar
CateW CateW is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Weston, CT
Posts: 1,622
Default

I can at any time (I am 58) but not ready. My husband 12 years older has been retired for 8 years. I will probably work 2 more. I have been at my company for 34 years and we do have retiree medical so I don't have to wait for Medicare either. It is somewhat comforting to know that at any point if I want to I can just sayI'm done.
__________________
Cate

Next Up:


Queen Mary -December 22, 2014 - January 3, 2015 - round trip NY.
April 6th - LA - NYC - Queen Victoria through the Panama Canal
Holland America Amsterdam - October 2015 - Hawaii and the South Pacific - 45 days
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old August 13th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default

Looking again at the figures, it would be sensible for me to work an extra year until summer 2015, but it will be nice to know from next summer that I can go any time if the urge takes me
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:45 AM
gubby's Avatar
gubby gubby is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Canadian Shield
Posts: 2,269
Default

Retired at 55 with a great pension as did DH. The money we paid into our pension was not missed as we never saw it. Now at 65, we both receive 2 federal pensions as well. House is paid for, kids long ago educated. And the biggie is we are Canadian so have our health insurance and now drug insurance as well. Our pension years truly are golden.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubby View Post
Retired at 55 with a great pension as did DH. The money we paid into our pension was not missed as we never saw it. Now at 65, we both receive 2 federal pensions as well. House is paid for, kids long ago educated. And the biggie is we are Canadian so have our health insurance and now drug insurance as well. Our pension years truly are golden.
Its lovely to hear that. Enjoy We're in the UK so our health care is provided too. The lack of that must be very tough in the US.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:22 PM
dthompsond1's Avatar
dthompsond1 dthompsond1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Carlisle England
Posts: 179
Default

I retired aged 57 in February this year. I had another 2 years to work to get 40 years in which would give me a maximum works pension. However after looking at the figures, 2 years extra work made little difference to my pension so I retired. Never looked back, don't know how I had time for work ha. Thought cruising would be the first to go but that isn't the case and we are off to the Canaries with P&O in March. Another thing for those from the UK, when is the Government going to next raid Private Pension Funds! I hear they are thinking of taxing lump sums and putting a maximum figure on the amount you can take as a lump sum.Dennis

Last edited by dthompsond1; August 22nd, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthompsond1 View Post
I retired aged 57 in February this year. I had another 2 years to work to get 40 years in which would give me a maximum works pension. However after looking at the figures, 2 years extra work made little difference to my pension so I retired. Never looked back, don't know how I had time for work ha. Thought cruising would be the first to go but that isn't the case and we are off to the Canaries with P&O in March. Another thing for those from the UK, when is the Government going to next raid Private Pension Funds! I hear they are thinking of taxing lump sums and putting a maximum figure on the amount you can take as a lump sum.Dennis
Don't get me started! First sniff of that and I'm gone!
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old August 24th, 2013, 10:46 PM
N7786W Flyer's Avatar
N7786W Flyer N7786W Flyer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina
Posts: 129
Default

I'm tentatively planning to retire at the end of 2016, but am waiting to see what the ramifications (both pro and con) are of Obamacare before doing so.

Those of us not covered by pensions are finding it difficult to make definitive plans with so much being unknown at this point.

Garnett
__________________



1974 SS Bahama Star
1979 MS Sunward II
1980 MS Skyward
1982 SS Veracruz 1
1984 TSS Mardi Gras
1986 SS Bermuda Star
1986 MS Caribe 1
1989 MS Sunward II
1993 SS Norway
1997 SS Oceanic
2001 MS Sensation
2004 MS Inspiration
2005 MS Celebration
2007 MS Celebration
2009 MS Fascination
2011 MS Carnival Inspiration
2012 MS Carnival Fascination
2013 MS Carnival Fantasy
2013 MS Carnival Paradise
2014 MS Carnival Fascination (May 2014)
2014 MS Carnival Fantasy (Sept 2014)
2015 MS Carnival Miracle (January 2015)
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:49 AM
internetwhiz's Avatar
internetwhiz internetwhiz is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 6,554
Default

I plan to retire June 29, 2014. I turn 62 on July 3 next year. I will have been at the college where I am and if you are 62 and have been there 15 years, you can "retire" from the college meaning you can keep your health care and pay the current rate you pay insurance which fir us is 150 a month for both of us. Hubby is self employed so ins is a must.

This is my 39th year in higher Ed, and all three colleges have had the same retirement system so it has just traveled with me. We are debt free, and excited about traveling more. We have been traveling a good bit for the past dozen years, and have 20 cruises since 2006. Life is good.

My Dad died at 62, three months after retiring. I have always been aware that we need to go while we can!
__________________
Karen and Bill
(internetwhiz and dirkpitt)

Past Cruises:
Enchanted Capri, Commodore Cruise Line, June 1998, Rhapsody of the Seas 2/26/2006, Rhapsody of the Seas 5/28/2006 (alt. route), NCL Norwegian Sun 12/31/2006, Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, 5/18/2007, Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, 3/9/2008, Celebrity Solstice, Eastern Caribbean, 12/14/2008, Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean, 3/8/2009, Explorer of the Seas, New England and Canada, 10/15/2009, Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 3/13/2010, Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 12/5/2010, Navigator of the Seas, Caribbean, 2/3/2011, Allure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 3/20/2011, Freedom of the Seas, 6/26/2011, Voyager of the Seas, 11/26/2011, Monarch of the Seas, 3/23/12, Mariner OTS, Mediterranean/Holy Lands, 10/20 to 11/3/12, Navigator of the Seas, 12/29/12, Allure of the Seas, 4/7/2013, Serenade of the Seas, 12/12/13 , Navigator of the Seas, 3/23/14 Navigator of the Seas, May 25, 2014 (alternate route)

Upcoming Cruises:

Oasis of the Seas, Transatlantic, October 14, 2014
Quantum of the Seas, 12-day So. Caribbean, April 12, 2015
Allure of the Seas, Transatlantic, October 25, 2015

Quantum of the Seas Website, April 12, 2015
http://Quantum2015.weebly.com

Cruise Critic Allure TA, October 2015 website
http://AllureTA.weebly.com
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Priya2 Priya2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetwhiz View Post
I plan to retire June 29, 2014. I turn 62 on July 3 next year. I will have been at the college where I am and if you are 62 and have been there 15 years, you can "retire" from the college meaning you can keep your health care and pay the current rate you pay insurance which fir us is 150 a month for both of us. Hubby is self employed so ins is a must.

This is my 39th year in higher Ed, and all three colleges have had the same retirement system so it has just traveled with me. We are debt free, and excited about traveling more. We have been traveling a good bit for the past dozen years, and have 20 cruises since 2006. Life is good.

My Dad died at 62, three months after retiring. I have always been aware that we need to go while we can!
Sounds good. You're so right, we have to live as fully as possible 'now' as we don't know how long we have here! I hadn't realised that when you have health insurance with a job in the US, you have to pay for it. Don't you have free health care for Seniors?
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:18 AM
internetwhiz's Avatar
internetwhiz internetwhiz is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 6,554
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya2 View Post
Sounds good. You're so right, we have to live as fully as possible 'now' as we don't know how long we have here! I hadn't realised that when you have health insurance with a job in the US, you have to pay for it. Don't you have free health care for Seniors?
Very few people who have health insurance with an employer in the US get it for free. Ours is reasonable. Many pay from 300 to 600 a month for family coverage. Seniors have Medicare but most pay a supplement.

I will say if you are from a country like Canada with socialized medicine, at least I can get in to see doctors and specialists before I get gravely ill which is what happened to a friend of mine in Canada. Also a friend there with a teen could not get help for him with mental issues until it was too late. I hope most people there get help when they need it. .
__________________
Karen and Bill
(internetwhiz and dirkpitt)

Past Cruises:
Enchanted Capri, Commodore Cruise Line, June 1998, Rhapsody of the Seas 2/26/2006, Rhapsody of the Seas 5/28/2006 (alt. route), NCL Norwegian Sun 12/31/2006, Radiance of the Seas, Alaska, 5/18/2007, Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean, 3/9/2008, Celebrity Solstice, Eastern Caribbean, 12/14/2008, Voyager of the Seas, Western Caribbean, 3/8/2009, Explorer of the Seas, New England and Canada, 10/15/2009, Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 3/13/2010, Mariner of the Seas, Mexican Riviera, 12/5/2010, Navigator of the Seas, Caribbean, 2/3/2011, Allure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean, 3/20/2011, Freedom of the Seas, 6/26/2011, Voyager of the Seas, 11/26/2011, Monarch of the Seas, 3/23/12, Mariner OTS, Mediterranean/Holy Lands, 10/20 to 11/3/12, Navigator of the Seas, 12/29/12, Allure of the Seas, 4/7/2013, Serenade of the Seas, 12/12/13 , Navigator of the Seas, 3/23/14 Navigator of the Seas, May 25, 2014 (alternate route)

Upcoming Cruises:

Oasis of the Seas, Transatlantic, October 14, 2014
Quantum of the Seas, 12-day So. Caribbean, April 12, 2015
Allure of the Seas, Transatlantic, October 25, 2015

Quantum of the Seas Website, April 12, 2015
http://Quantum2015.weebly.com

Cruise Critic Allure TA, October 2015 website
http://AllureTA.weebly.com
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.