Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hobart (Tasmania) or Melbourne (Australia)

Hi!

We are looking at two itineraries that are similar, except that one goes to Hobart and one goes to Melbourne. What are the pros and cons of each port that would help us make an educated decision.

This will be our first trip to that area of the world. Thanks!

Old August 15th, 2013, 02:32 PM
40,000+ Club

Both are great places to visit. If forced, I would pick Hobart for the scenery

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd choose Hobart if you are able to do a tour to Port Arthur, one of the most interesting places I've ever visited.

I'd choose Melbourne if you just want to do a city tour--more to see there than in Hobart.

Old August 16th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Hobart (Tasmania) or Melbourne (Australia)"

Be careful showing your thread heading to Tasmanians. They can be sensitive about being left out of Australia

Past Cruise:
  • Pacific Sun 21 Feb 2009 7 nights

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Absolutely Hobart! Used to live there has everything you could ask for in a city. We are going back there on the Solstice in January.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Old August 17th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hobart has much easier access to the city as the dock is literally in the city. Also a lovely cruise up the bays and river approaching the port. Essential to visit Salamanca markets if in Hobart on a Saturday, if not go visit all the fine old buildings around the port and enjoy some local refreshments
Lots of other things to do such as visit the old penal settlement at Port Arthur or go on a tour to Mt Field National Park or Bonorong Wildlife Park. Or even do a jet boat ride of the coast line - office is right on the docks.
Melbourne city is some distance from the dock at Port Melbourne and requires a Tram ride into the downtown area where you can catch a free city circle tram. Lots of quirky little shops in the lane ways between the main streets. You could however just go swimming on the bayside beaches next to the pier. There are also bicycles for rent on the foreshore. Other options include excursions to wildlife parks, wineries, or the Great Ocean Road.

My choice would be Hobart.

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo
RCI Legend of the Seas 20 Apr 2016 18 night Brisbane to Hong Kong

Last edited by cassamanda; August 17th, 2013 at 08:01 AM.

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Both are great places to visit, but we absolutely loved Hobart and would love to go back for an extended stay.
We rented a car for the day and drove out to Bonorong Wildlife Park, Richmond and then to the top of Mt Wellington for superb views. We fell lucky as our visit was during the wooden boat festival which was fascinating.

2004 Nile Cruise, 2007 Pride of America, Hawaii. 2008 Majesty of the Seas, Bahamas. 2008 Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2008 Mariner of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean. 2008 Mariner of the Seas, Western Caribbean. 2009 Noordam, Eastern Mediterranean. 2009 Noordam, Western Mediterranean. 2009 Costa Serena, Eastern Mediterranean. 2010 Costa Luminosa, Dubai and Emirates. 2010 Zuiderdam, Panama Canal. 2011 Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2011 Caribbean Princess, Western Caribbean. 2011 Yangtse River Cruise. 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern Caribbean. 2011 Nieuw Amsterdam, Western Caribbean. 2012 Star Princess, South America. 2012 Nieuw Amsterdam, Eastern Mediterranean. 2012 Ruby Princess, Transatlantic. 2013 Celebrity Solstice, Australia/NZ. 2013 Celebrity Solstice, NZ/Australia. 2013 Crown Princess, Norwegian Fjords. 2013 Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean. 2013 Emerald Princess, Southern Caribbean. 2014 Amsterdam, Alaska. 2014 Diamond Princess, Japan.

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

HI I am a Tasmanian and proud of it ,I love been left of the map

Old August 19th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all of your responses. We chose the itinerary with Hobart.

Newbris - I was unaware of this issue. In trying to be geographically precise, I guess I was politically unprecise. Hope I haven't offended anyone!

Old September 1st, 2013, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi rather than start a new thread, it should be suitable to post in here. I will be stopping in Hobart for a day and have rented a car, I was thinking about doing the following:

Go to Mount Wellington in the morning, then head off to Barrilla Bay for oysters, then stop by the remarkable caves on the way back, then when back in the cbd stop by some of the cathedrals. Is there anything I should do while in hobart or what I have planned will pretty much take up the day? Thank you.