Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Africa & Middle East

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Innoculations for India and Africa

Going on cruise including India and Africa (east coast and South Africa). What innoculations, if any, are mandatory for these areas? Haven't heard anything from cruise company. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who had been to these areas.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 02:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggglo View Post
Going on cruise including India and Africa (east coast and South Africa). What innoculations, if any, are mandatory for these areas? Haven't heard anything from cruise company. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who had been to these areas.
Check out your destinations on this CDC link.....as well as your doctor or local travel clinic
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel

SA requires a yellow fever vaccination if you have recently been to some other neighboring countries. Malaria pills for India are also recommended. Of course, Hep A&B and tetanus are good for everyone when traveling.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybob View Post

SA requires a yellow fever vaccination if you have recently been to some other neighboring countries. Malaria pills for India are also recommended. Of course, Hep A&B and tetanus are good for everyone when traveling.
really? I have been to every country that borders South Africa and have never been required to get a yellow fever shot.
Malaria pills are also a proper prevention regime for most of Africa.
look at the cdc website and talk to your own physician. Some of the CDC recommendations are over kill in my opinion..and some shots are difficult to get(polio for one). But update your tetanus shot no matter where you are traveling.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
really? I have been to every country that borders South Africa and have never been required to get a yellow fever shot.
Malaria pills are also a proper prevention regime for most of Africa.
look at the cdc website and talk to your own physician. Some of the CDC recommendations are over kill in my opinion..and some shots are difficult to get(polio for one). But update your tetanus shot no matter where you are traveling.
From embassy of South Africa in DC:
Yellow fever certificate is required only if applicant passing through yellow fever belt area before entering South Africa.

http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/h...ellowfever.htm

I was coming from Victoria Falls in Zambia which has low incidence but still on the list......though when I presented documentation with my passport they never looked at it Just didn't want to take the chance of being denied entry, just an individual choice.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybob View Post
From embassy of South Africa in DC:
Yellow fever certificate is required only if applicant passing through yellow fever belt area before entering South Africa.

http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/h...ellowfever.htm

I was coming from Victoria Falls in Zambia which has low incidence but still on the list......though when I presented documentation with my passport they never looked at it Just didn't want to take the chance of being denied entry, just an individual choice.

I have been to Victoria Falls in Zambia as well as in Zimbabwe and in both cases enter South Africa after that. Its not required.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Definitely check with your physician and www.cdc.gov

Just visited India this past May and my internist insisted on giving me a polio booster and MMR which is no big big deal as polio and measles are previlant there. Malaria meds were also needed in SW India. Of course keep your tetanus immunization up to date. Typhoid, Hep A & B are good to keep up current for traveling overseas.

Again, feel comfortable and get the advise from your physician.

Old September 5th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There is a world wide resurgence of whooping cough..my doc has suggested that in addition to the others we get a shot which also includes tetanus booster. I am more concerned about becoming ill from the plane travel so will be getting flue and pneumonia as well.

Sue

More Recently
2004 Pacific Princess (Fiji, Vanuatu,New Caledonia)
2006 Star Princess (Darwin to Bangkok)
2008 Diamond Princess (Sydney to Auckland)
2009 Dawn Princess(Cherry Blossom, Asia, Japan, PNG,)
2009 Diamond Princess Bangkok to Sydney
2010 Diamond Princess Singapore to Sydney
2011 Volendam Sth Pacific
2011 Radiance of the Seas Long Dinner Party
2012 Dawn Princess Mel/Syd
2012 Dawn Princess Syd/Brisbane
2012 Aegean Odyysey Instanbul to Venice
2012 Radiance of the Seas
2013 Ocean Princess Honolulu/Tahiti/Tonga
2013 Celebrity Solstice New Zealand
2014 Voyager of the Seas
2014 Azamara Journey India to Athens via Suez Canal

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com]

[IMG]http://clocks.cruise

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:23 AM
10,000+ Club

India is a complex situation when it comes to vaccines. Forget "mandatory" and think about just being "smart." Here is a link the CDC's advice on India:
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinat...ler/none/india

Hank

Old September 8th, 2013, 05:05 AM
50,000+ Club

In terms of Yellow Fever you need to look at the entire itinerary and go country by country on the CDC web site. For example, and I know this is not applicable to your cruise but if you visit Brazil it's not that you need a yellow fever because of Brazil but a country like Barbados requires it if you visited a place such as Brazil. Your cruise line should really be able to tell you if this one is required.

As to the other countries I would visit the CDC web site for the recommendations and for some items such as Malaria that is dependent where in the country you are visiting and that is clearly shown on the CDC web site.

Now for South Africa I can tell you that if you are not doing something like a safari and are just visiting places such as Port Elizabeth, Durban and Cape Town and not going inland you do not need malaria medication.

Keith

Old September 13th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just wanted to pass on some information. We had friends who went on a Safari trip in Africa, they got their Malaria shots but after they were home for a month or so the husband got very sick. They did a bunch of tests and ended up he had Malaria. I am sure this does not happen often but it good to be aware. I wouldn`t have guessed it to be Malaria having the vaccine and it happening that long after being home from their trip.

Old September 13th, 2013, 07:54 PM
20,000+ Club

In general the medication-the pills are more effective than the vaccine.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

smeyer418@yahoo.com
Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, RCCI, Cunard, Viking Overnight Ferry(Finland-Sweden), hydrofoil between countries(Estonia,Jersey) car ferries and three river cruises(Egypt, China and the Danube) and of course the Staten Island Ferry
NCL Gem 2/2015

Old September 13th, 2013, 08:03 PM
50,000+ Club

I've never heard of a Malaria Shot. We were given the choice of two types of pills and went with the one that you take a few days before arriving to the infested area, you take it while you are there and then for a few days after you leave.

Keith

Old September 13th, 2013, 09:58 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
I've never heard of a Malaria Shot. We were given the choice of two types of pills and went with the one that you take a few days before arriving to the infested area, you take it while you are there and then for a few days after you leave.

Keith

malaria shots are relatively new...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013...in-early-trial

its also possible the poster misunderstood.

Last edited by smeyer418; September 13th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Old September 13th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
In general the medication-the pills are more effective than the vaccine.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app
Just talked to my friend and I stand corrected ...it was pills that they took (Malarone)

Old September 13th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Slipper View Post
Just wanted to pass on some information. We had friends who went on a Safari trip in Africa, they got their Malaria shots but after they were home for a month or so the husband got very sick. They did a bunch of tests and ended up he had Malaria. I am sure this does not happen often but it good to be aware. I wouldn`t have guessed it to be Malaria having the vaccine and it happening that long after being home from their trip.
There is no currently available licensed malaria vaccine, no malaria shots yet. However, clinical trials of several malaria vaccines are going on in various places, so there may be something available in a few years: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...67bf97d6bb41e7

To prevent malaria, you take prescription medicine during your time in the affected countries, and for a time before and after, depending on the particular drug. Malaria preventatives include chloroquine, mefloquine, doxycycline, azithromycin, primaquine and atovaquone/proguanil. You also use mosquito netting and insect repellant.
Sailed! Oceania Regatta 10-19-2012 14-day New England/Canada/Bermuda (Hurricane Sandy Mystery Cruise)
Safari! Tanzania February, 2012 (The Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara)
Sailed! Maine Windjammer Stephen Taber 9-2008 4-day cruise of mid-coast Maine on a floating National Historic Landmark launched in 1871.

Old September 14th, 2013, 03:46 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Slipper View Post
Just talked to my friend and I stand corrected ...it was pills that they took (Malarone)
That is what I thought. There are two choices. This is in my humble opinion the best of the two and you pay more for these.

Could have been one of two things. Either they just didn't work (it can happen) or they didn't take it correctly.

Either way sorry they got ill and this is just a reminder that sometimes even with the best of protection something can go wrong.

Keith

Old September 16th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggglo View Post

We recently returned from India. Your best bet is to call your nearest United States Health Department Office and ask if they have a Travel Department. You can make an appointment with the Travel Department and the have your shot history reviewed and get their recommendations for your areas of travel. They can give you the required shots and prescriptions for any needed medications. We were extremely happy with the service received and the informaiton provided.
Princess, Sun, 1999, Alaska, Seward to Vancouver - Holland America, Veendam, 2000, W. Caribbean, RT Miami - Princess, Grand, 2001, E. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale - Princess, Grand, 2001, W. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale - Royal Caribbean, Majesty of the Seas, 2004, Bahamas, RT Miami- Holland America, Oosterdam, 2004, Baltic Sea, Copenhagen to London - Norwegian, Star, 2005, Mexican Rivera, RT Los Angeles - Princess, Diamond, 2005, Asia/Orient, Beijing to Bangkok- Celebrity, Galaxy, 2005, E. Mediterranean/Greek Isles and Turkey, RT Rome - Princess, Dawn, 2006, Pacific Coastal, San Francisco to Vancouver- Princess, Star, 2006, Europe/Trans Atlantic, Copenhagen to New York - Princess, Caribbean, 2007, E. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale- Princess, Golden, 2007, Pacific Coastal, San Francisco to Vancouver - Princess, Caribbean, 2007, E. Caribbean, RT Fort Lauderdale - Princess, Star, 2007, European Explorer, Copenhagen to Rome - Princess, Island, 2007, Panama Canal, San Juan to Acapulco - Holland America, Rotterdam, 2008, South America Explorer & Antarctic Experience, Santiago to Rio de Janeiro - Princess, Sapphire, 2008, Hawaii, Tahiti & South Pacific, Sydney to Los Angeles - Royal Caribbean, Legend Of The Seas, 2009, Dubai to Rome - Princess, Caribbean, 2010, New England & Canada, RT New York -Norwegian, Jade, 2011, Morocco & Canary Islands, - Cunard - QM2, 2011, Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing - Holland America, Ryndam, 2011, Western Caribbean - Voyages of Discovery, Discovery, 2012, Black Sea & Gallipoli - Caribbean Princess, 2012, North Cape & Norwegian Fjords - Princess, Ruby, 2012, Transatlantic, Venice to Ft. Lauderdale - Caribbean Princess, 2012, 'Southern Caribbean - Holland America, Ryndam, 2013 Transatlantic, Tampa to Barcelona - Holland America, Noordam, 2014 Transatlantic, Ft. Lauderdale to Rome

CruzerTwo Youtube Videos