Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old April 11th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

we just did a cruise with a 6 and 8 yr old of Miami and did not bring anything with us. We did a taxi to hotel and zip lined 300 feet in the air both without boosters.

Old August 27th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Florida does require car seats in all shuttles. So you might be denied boarding. The best alternate would be to hire a car service that will provide car seats for transport to the ship and back. Yes, more expensive but nice and easy. If you aren't doing any excursions that need car seats then I wouldn't bring one either. However, if you are doing excursions in taxis or vans with seatbelts, then I might rethink my decision.

We did Hawaii twice with my son when he was 2 and 3 - once, no car seat, once with. We had the limo from/to the airport supply the car seat in Honolulu and that was fine, and then we rented a car with a seat for a couple days. It was perfect and we did ride in taxis without a car seat short distances. It made me nervous though. The trip to Big Island, we brought the seat and we're glad we did as we just did taxis instead of car services. And we stayed on the resort or took a big bus when we went anywhere else which would not have accommodated the seat anyway so we just kept it in the closet, but it was good to have. It just really depends on your plans as to whether you really need it or not.

Have a great trip!

Prior cruises on Carnival, Princess, Costa, Cunard and Dolphin[/color]

First Disney Cruise

First RCL Cruise

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just googled the FL statute on child restraints...

" 6. The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare, as defined in s. 39.01(47), to comply with the requirements of this section."

Case closed.

Past Cruises
Carnival Ecstasy, Dec. 2013
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Nov. 2013
RCCL Oasis of the Seas, Halloween 2012
NCL Pride Of America, May 2009
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, Nov. 2008

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:13 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDsquared View Post
I just googled the FL statute on child restraints...

" 6. The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare, as defined in s. 39.01(47), to comply with the requirements of this section."

Case closed.
Yeah if your case is - "It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare, as defined in s. 39.01(47), to comply with the requirements of this section."

Which means "Parents need to bring a car seat" - taxi drivers and limo divers are exempt and are not held liable under the law.

I was stopped by the transportation desk at the Miami airport before they would call a taxi for me and asked where my car seat was. And we had one.

RCI Allure of the Seas 5/4/14
Norwegian Getaway PreInaugural 1/27/14
NCL Breakaway PreInaugural 5/8/13
NCL EPIC 11/24/12 - Ewes Baby!
RCI Enchantment 8/3/12 - Addicted to BERMUDA!
NCL Gem 10/2/11 - Back to Bermuda!
RCI Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 - Bermuda
RCI Grandeur of the Seas 9/11/10
Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
RCI Independence of the Seas 2/1/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
RCI Freedom of the Seas 5/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/98
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 9/97
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,
Disney, NCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity posted here....
http://photobucket.com/cruisekidpages

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinmama06 View Post
Yeah if your case is - "It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare, as defined in s. 39.01(47), to comply with the requirements of this section."

Which means "Parents need to bring a car seat" - taxi drivers and limo divers are exempt and are not held liable under the law.

I was stopped by the transportation desk at the Miami airport before they would call a taxi for me and asked where my car seat was. And we had one.
Well said. That's exactly what I was thinking.
Tracy in Missouri
☻ ♥ ☻
/♥\./█\
.||. .||

Old August 31st, 2013, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not disagreeing with you regarding parents responsibility, it just looks to me that the "rules" don't apply to taxis, vans, etc. We've had experiences where the taxi service made sure we had a car seat, and then a shuttle van that told us to stow it with the luggage. After reading this thread, so many people have had different experiences, but I just don't see it written that the child restraint laws applies to taxis, shuttles, etc...

Past Cruises

Old August 31st, 2013, 09:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default oh, wait...

Michelle, I just reread your post. I think I was reading it the wrong way. I was reading the statute that the child restraint laws didnt apply in taxis, etc. But I think you've got it - that the driver is not held accountable, the parent is...

Oh, well, I give up

Past Cruises

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Not to troll, but zOMG the pearl clutching over child seat laws in Florida (which is where I assume most people will be cruising from) is pretty hilarious, given that Florida has the most lax child seat laws in the US.

Here's the law: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0316.613.html

Quote:
(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined in this section, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.
Here's the comparison to other states: http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...fety_laws.html

Essentially this says, if your kid is younger than three you need a car seat of some sort. 4 and above you can use the seat belt. We were just in Florida with a 4 and 7 year old, we brought a booster for the 4 year old just for our own piece of mind even though Florida law said he'd be okay with just the seat belt.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 10:05 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDsquared View Post
Michelle, I just reread your post. I think I was reading it the wrong way. I was reading the statute that the child restraint laws didnt apply in taxis, etc. But I think you've got it - that the driver is not held accountable, the parent is...

Oh, well, I give up
No - you got it

The parents are liable.

And I totally agree with the next poster who said that Florida has some of the most lax car seat laws around.

Where I live - my 9 year old still needs a booster. I keep joking with her that she will be driving with it.

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02
Kids club schedules and children's menus including RCCL Adventure Ocean, Camp Carnival,

Old September 5th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

UPDATE:
Just called our Miami area hotel and their shuttle is not compatible for installation of a toddler car seat. They said the child can ride the 1 MILE to the hotel on a lap and they will be happy to stow the seat for us. Glad I wasn't planning on taking it anyway! As far as transfers from hotel to the port and back to airport...our reserved shuttle service will provide a car seat for us, and we've booked excursions not requiring one. And...GO!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app
Carnival Splendor 4/2010
Carnival Liberty 9/2008
Carnival Valor 9/2006
RCL-Majesty of the Seas 12/2004

Old September 7th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCutsie View Post
UPDATE:
Just called our Miami area hotel and their shuttle is not compatible for installation of a toddler car seat. They said the child can ride the 1 MILE to the hotel on a lap and they will be happy to stow the seat for us. Glad I wasn't planning on taking it anyway! As far as transfers from hotel to the port and back to airport...our reserved shuttle service will provide a car seat for us, and we've booked excursions not requiring one. And...GO!!

Can you tell me the hotel and shuttle names. I'm booked at the Ramada Inn Miami North for pre-cruise, but need something for a one night stay between our (almost) back-to-back cruise. Any recommendations?

Old September 8th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunquest76 View Post
Can you tell me the hotel and shuttle names. I'm booked at the Ramada Inn Miami North for pre-cruise, but need something for a one night stay between our (almost) back-to-back cruise. Any recommendations?
Are you trying to get info related to having/not having your kids car seat? We're at the LaQuinta Inn MIA East and using Super Shuttle.

Carnival Splendor 4/2010
Carnival Liberty 9/2008
Carnival Valor 9/2006

Old September 26th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
UPDATE:

Would you mind sharing which shuttle service you chose? I plan to do the same as you and leave the car seat at home as long as we can get a service with a car seat from the airport to the ship. Thanks!

Eta: Somehow I missed your last post. I see the name now. Hope you had fun on your cruise.

Last edited by kireelady; September 26th, 2013 at 11:14 PM.

Old September 29th, 2013, 03:30 AM
10,000+ Club

Yikes ..Most of you posters are probably the kids/grandkids of us older generation..Amazing you made it this far..considering the limited knowledge we all grew up having..I remember the plastic infant seats, hook over carseats and carbeds..Sorry all of you couldn't resist.

Old September 29th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Success!!! Just back from Carnival Liberty. Wonderful trip and NO CARSEAT was lugged along. The review I promised is on the way I'm sure other fellow "bad parents" will be interested

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app
Carnival Splendor 4/2010
Carnival Liberty 9/2008
Carnival Valor 9/2006

Old October 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Success!!! Just back from Carnival Liberty. Wonderful trip and NO CARSEAT was lugged along. The review I promised is on the way I'm sure other fellow "bad parents" will be interested

Looking forward to the review. Glad you had a great trip.

Old October 16th, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Did u need a carseat in the ports if u take a taxi we are going Eastern and in quite worried about that.

Old October 17th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBubba View Post
Not to troll, but zOMG the pearl clutching over child seat laws in Florida (which is where I assume most people will be cruising from) is pretty hilarious, given that Florida has the most lax child seat laws in the US.

Here's the law: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0316.613.html

Here's the comparison to other states: http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/l...fety_laws.html

Essentially this says, if your kid is younger than three you need a car seat of some sort. 4 and above you can use the seat belt. We were just in Florida with a 4 and 7 year old, we brought a booster for the 4 year old just for our own piece of mind even though Florida law said he'd be okay with just the seat belt.
Not sure where you got the idea that in FL they don't need a car seat/booster seat after the age of 3. They must be restrained in one of the above until the age of 5. Also the driver is held responsible for all not restrained in a seatbelt until the age of 16 and after that anyone in the front seat over the age of 16 not wearing a seat-belt is a chargeable offence.

What you are missing is that it is referring to an integrated device (one that is built into some vehicles vs a device that is seat-belted in (as in most booster seats). Up to age 3 you must use devices that use the various anchor techniques that are build into cars and not just a car-seat that uses a seat belt to hold it down. As an example my son's car seat used a seat-belt along with anchors between the back cushion and seat cushion and the forward facing one used anchors on the back dash in addition. After age 3 you may switch to a booster seat that is just seat-belted in.

Also chauffeured taxi and taxi aren't the same thing. The former being a limousine service paid by the hour or something similar (like type of trip) the latter being a yellow cab type paid by the mile.

Carnival Freedom 12/11/2011
Carnival Freedom 12/12/2010
Carnival Freedom 12/13/2009
Carnival Splendor 12/06/2008
Celebrity Millennium 12/16/2007
Caribbean Princess 12/17/2006
Celebrity Century 10/23/2004
NCL Majesty 2/10/2003
Carnival Fantasy 1/24/2002
Trying to remember ships and dates before 2002

Last edited by larronry; October 17th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
Yikes ..Most of you posters are probably the kids/grandkids of us older generation..Amazing you made it this far..considering the limited knowledge we all grew up having..I remember the plastic infant seats, hook over carseats and carbeds..Sorry all of you couldn't resist.
Yep - barely. I was in a low speed accident when I was a child. I remember it clearly. One minute I was laying across the backseat of my parents' Blazer coming back from a day at the lake. The next minute I was flying up to the front seat over my parents' heads. Someone crossed the center line and hit us head on. If my father had been speeding we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&Mrs12510 View Post
Did u need a carseat in the ports if u take a taxi we are going Eastern and in quite worried about that.
Again - would YOU drive around your city without a car seat. If the answer is NO - then bring a car seat. And the bigger question - would you allow a stranger in another country to drive YOUR child without being properly restrained????

The OP did not want to inconvenience HERSELF!

There is no gray area here. It's pretty black and white. How much risk are YOU willing to take?

Carnival Triumph 6/7/09
Disney Wonder 09/11/08
Carnival Sensation 08/07
Carnival Elation 11/06
Disney Magic 2/05
NCL Norway 6/02