Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default accessibility in st Thomas and st Marten.

I will be on a cruise to st Thomas and st marten early next year. My question is, how is the accessibility for wheelchairs over there? I have a manual chair and my buddy coming with me has a power chair. We don't plan really on doing excursions in either island, we just want to go explore the islands. I would like to know if there are any places near the port or would we need to catch a taxi to go eat or shop? I don't know how doable that would be with a power chair. How are the shops and restaurants in these islands? We both really want to experience local cuisine. Any help is appreciated.

Old September 9th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Some research

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=156637

http://www.carols-cruise-port-itiner.../StMaarten.htm

http://www.worldonwheelz.com/Travel%...ity%202004.htm

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=13

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=17

Past:
Maasdam
Noordam
Enchantment

Freedom
Monarch

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

thank you for this

Old September 10th, 2013, 05:23 PM
20,000+ Club

They just recently introduced an accessible vehicle to take persons in wheelchairs to the downtown area of St Thomas, but the big problem is that the vehicle is usually booked by a ship. The downtown area is extremely difficult because the sidewalks are extremely narrow, have lots of holes and bumps and some of the curb cut outs are very steep. I now avoid the downtown area because of this. If you dock at Havensite, there's a large shopping mall right there, so no need to go into the town.

St Martin can also be a challenge in the town area because again, the sidewalks are very narrow. And, many of the places have steps to get into the building.

Old September 19th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for this thread, going in Dec with a friend and we are both using scooters. I hope we can find something to do.

Old September 19th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

There used to be a tour company on St. Thomas with a trolley and bus with a wheelchair lift. I think they were called Accessible VI.
I don't know if they are still in business.

DVC Member - Saratoga Springs

Old September 30th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKidsDad View Post
There used to be a tour company on St. Thomas with a trolley and bus with a wheelchair lift. I think they were called Accessible VI.
I don't know if they are still in business.
Yes, they're still in business. here is link to their site.

http://www.accessvi.com/index.html

Pride of Aloha, Sun Princess, Dawn Princess, Caribbean Princess, Celebrity Solstice,
Coral Princess, Grand Princess, Golden Princess, Royal Princess

Old September 30th, 2013, 03:29 PM
20,000+ Club

You are going to find things pretty hard going on St. Thomas unless you are content to just visit the shopping areas around Havensight or Crown Bay which are the two terminals that cruise ship dock at. On St. Maarten, Phillipsburg is quite accessible and the board walk is really very nice.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Last edited by Putterdude; September 30th, 2013 at 03:31 PM.

Old September 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM
10,000+ Club

St. Martin should be very easy for you, but not so easy in St. Thomas. I use a mobility scooter and usually take a taxi where we want to go. If you can get a taxi and the chairs in, then you shouldn't have any issues.

Royal Viking Star 6/90 Bermuda

Veendam 11/29/03 WesternCaribbean
Statendam 6/20/04 Alaska
Statendam 6/27/04 Alaska

Zuiderdam 11/13/04 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 2/14/05 Panama Canal

Zuiderdam 11/12/05 Southern Caribbean
Noordam 2/7/07 EasternCaribbean

Noordam 2/6/08 Eastern Caribbean

Eurodam 8/29/08 NYC 3 day Inaugural Cruise
Maasdam 1/28/11 Southern Caribbean

Maasdam 6/11/11 N. Eng/Canada

Maasdam 1/13/12 Southern Caribbean

Veendam 6/17/12 Bermuda

Maasdam 4/22/ 13 Eastern Caribbean

Old October 12th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Post St. Thomas

Husband travels in power wheelchair. Have been on many cruises tons of ports. The only island we had difficulty with wheelchair cab was St. Thomas. Catching a cab was simple just go to boarding area in main district (may have to wait for short time for van to come that has a lift). Once we were getting off cab driver wanted to charge husband extra due to weight of his chair. Cab driver insisted on calling police because we refuse to pay extra. Police showed up and sided with us and even charged the cab driver with discrimination against the ADA act. Do not be afraid to fight for your rights.
[b]RCCL Voyager of the Seas
Jan-21-06
Carnival Miracle
Jan-2-08
[b]Carnival Holiday (daughters surprise 16th birthday)
First sail with our Service dog also
Aug-20-09
Carnival Dream Naming Ceremony
Nov-12-09
Carnival Dream Cruise 2 Nowhere
Nov-12-09
[b]Celebrity Millennium
Captin personally invited Kali (Service Dog) to bridge for a tour -- so sad when she will not go alone
Feb-1-10
Carnival Elation (wow Kali's forth cruise in one year, she has done more then most people. Life of a service animal)