Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 12th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Great advice from everyone.

The QVB is wonderful. Make sure you ride the lift / elevator and have a good look at the flooring.

Unless you are a musician (or similar) I would skip the Opera House tour. You can walk around the building and go inside some parts. You will not get into the concert halls - but they are just concert halls with amazing acoustics. A walk around might be enough for you and would free up a lot of time.

R.
- Radiance of the Seas - New Zealand Dec 4th 2011 - 15 days
2012 - Radiance of the Seas - New Zealand Jan 15th 2012 - 15 days
- Radiance of the Seas - Cruise to Nowhere Nov 15th 2012 - 3 days
- Moli - Zambizi River, Chobe National Park, Namibia.
- Radiance of the Seas - South Pacific Dec 1st 2012 - 12 days
2013 - 23rd Sept 2013- Radiance of the Seas - Honolulu to Sydney
24th Oct 2013- Radiance of the Seas - Sydney to Perth
9 Nov 2013- Radiance of the Seas - Perth to Sydney

Upcoming cruises-
- 27 July 2014 - Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scan Russia
- 12 September 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - Hawaii
- 22 September 2014 - Radiance of the Seas - Trans Pacific
- 3 May 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - Asia and India
- 17 May 2015 - Rhapsody of the Seas - Suez Canal
- 4 June 2015 - Allure of the Seas - Western Mediterranean
- 10th Nov 2015 - Legend of the Seas - Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia
- 20th Nov 2015 - Legend of the Seas - Hong Kong to Brisbane
"WELL, THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY"

BLOGS -
http://rainaandsarahineurope.blogspot.com.au/ Eastern Med on Navigator
http://rainaandsarahinafrica.blogspo...frica-for.html Southern Africa
http://rainaandsarahsouthpacificcruise.blogspot.com.au/ South Pacific on Radiance

http://rainastahititrip.blogspot.com.au/p/tahiti.html TransPacific on Radiance.

http://therussiantrip.blogspot.com.au/p/the-start.html Legend - 14 night Ultimate Russia and Scandinavia.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great thread, thanks to everyone who has provided advice/suggestions
Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska (8/2001); Rhapsody of the Seas - Caribbean (8/2002); Norwegian Wind - Hawaii (8/2004); Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean (6/2005); Vision of the Seas - Mexico (3/2006); Jewel of the Seas - British Isles/Fjords (6/2006); Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas (3/2007); Deilmann's Chopin - Berlin to Prague (10/2007); Adventure of the Seas - S. Caribbean (3/2008); Explorer of the Seas - New England/CAN (7/2008); Mariner of the Seas - Mexico (3/2009); Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean (4/2011); Disney Dream - Bahamas (2/2012); Voyager of the Seas - W. Caribbean (3/2012); Vision of the Seas - Baltics (7/2012); Vision of the Seas - So. Caribbean (12/2012); Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean (3/2013); Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas (8/2013);Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas (1/2014); Radiance of the Seas - Australia/New Zealand (2/2014); Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean (8/2014); Quantum of the Seas - So. Caribbean (12/2014); Explorer of the Seas - Spain & Med Beaches (06/2015); Brilliance - Cozumel (03/2016)

Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We booked Aug 16 to start our odyssey the end of Sept! Head is spinning! Cruising on Volendam to Sydney but will have 5 1/2 weeks in OZ. Towards the end of that time we will have a few days or maybe a week to enjoy Sydney before we embark Solstice over to NZ for touring time there. This thread has given form to our muddle of ideas! Thank you all so much. CCers are the best! I couldn't do it without you. m--
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 09/2003 , Regal Princess - Panama Canal 1 2/2004, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 12/2005 B2B, HAL Maasdam - S Caribbean 12/2006, Diamond Princess - Hawaii 12/2007, HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez 04/2008, Carnival Sprit/HAL Oosterdam B2B Mex Rivieria 12/08, HAL Volendam - Alaska 05/2009 , HAL Amsterdam - Panama Canal Dec 2009,Princess - Med/TA Ruby Princess 10/2010, Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean 3/2011, Carnival Liberty - Caribbean 4/2011 , Maasdam - Caribbean 3/2012, Star Princess - Hawaii 11/2012, Carnival Splendor - SA 'Round the Horn 2/2013, HAL Volendam - LA to Sydney 9/2013, Celebrity Solstice Australia to New Zealand 11/2013, Ocean Princess Society Islands and Tahiti to Hawaii B2B 1/2014.
Still to Come: Hurtigruten Midnatsol - N orway W Coast 10/2014, Viking Embla - Rhine, Main, Danube 11/2014, HAL Maasdam - W TA 11/2014

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Australia/NZ cruisetour land questions

Australia land part of cruise tour. I have tried looking on the Princess site about details of the land portion, but have found nothing. I know we go Port Douglas | Port Douglas/Sydney | Sydney | Kakadu/Darwin | Sydney/Ayers Rock | Darwin/Cairns/Port Douglas | Ayers Rock/Darwin/Kakadu, and you fly from place to place, but do you know the approx take-off times? I know the flights are about 3 hours. This will give me an idea of how much time we have at each location.
Sapphire Princess 7/08 Whitter, AK to Vancouver
Caribbean Princess 9/09 Southern Caribbean
Ruby Princess 09/2009 Venice to Barcelona
Sapphire Princess 01/2010 Mexican Riveria
Caribbean Princess 10/2010 Eastern Caribbean
Island Princess 4/2011 Panama Canel
Sapphire Princess 10/2012 California Coastal
Future
Pacific Princess 10/9/2014 Tahiti

Old August 26th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsjr View Post
Australia land part of cruise tour. I have tried looking on the Princess site about details of the land portion, but have found nothing. I know we go Port Douglas | Port Douglas/Sydney | Sydney | Kakadu/Darwin | Sydney/Ayers Rock | Darwin/Cairns/Port Douglas | Ayers Rock/Darwin/Kakadu, and you fly from place to place, but do you know the approx take-off times? I know the flights are about 3 hours. This will give me an idea of how much time we have at each location.
Struggling to comprehend your itinerary as it is not in logical order. Bit like saying you are flying from New York to San Fran then back to New York then back to Dallas etc.
What cruise tour have you booked, we presume it is off Diamond Princess. Perhaps copy the itinerary and paste here.
There are many flights per day to these locations so hard to answer your question as to departure/arrival times. Check the cruise tour description for hints such as morning or afternoon departures etc.
Ayers Rock (Ularu) and Alice Springs are in the centre of Australia.
Darwin ( for access to Kakadu NP) is on the north coast at the top of Australia. Cairns/Port Douglas is on the east coast near the top of Australia.
Sydney is on the east coast 3.5 hours flight time south of Cairns.

Old August 27th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieVisi2r View Post
Great advice from everyone.

The QVB is wonderful. Make sure you ride the lift / elevator and have a good look at the flooring.

Unless you are a musician (or similar) I would skip the Opera House tour. You can walk around the building and go inside some parts. You will not get into the concert halls - but they are just concert halls with amazing acoustics. A walk around might be enough for you and would free up a lot of time.

R.
I agree skip the tour of the opera house it not that great inside
QVB is just a building full of expensive boutique shops and can be missed if time poor

Old August 27th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by t60 View Post
There is Wildlife SydneyZoo near the Aquarium at Darling Harbour, perhaps that is the one they mean? Obviously not as big as Taronga but they do have Koala encounters there and we enjoyed our visit when limited for time visit they also do a combined ticket with the Aquarium.

Sandy in Spain
if you just want to see kangaroos and koalas then wildlife world in darling harbour is ok they have a crocodile and birds and reptiles as well, the aquarium is ok but not so good it can't be missed. Taronga is an all day event and much more interesting plus has great views of Sydney I spend the day there whenever I go to Sydney however remember it will be hot and possibly humid and at least darling harbour attractions are air conditioned

Old September 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

WE were in Sydney 4 years ago for two days. We arrived early around 8 am and went and dropped our luggage. Then went to Sydney Wildlife Center and did the Koala encounter and got our picture taken (big on my list). Then we saw the rest of that, about two hours worth. Then we went to the Sydney Aquarium and then walked around Darling Harbor. We then went to lunch and dinner around there as we were exhausted from our 24 hrs. being up and the 14 hour flight from Sydney. Went to bed early and got an early start the next day. We went right to Circular Quay (about 4 blocks) then got the first water ferry to Taraunga Zoo and was there about 3-4 hrs. Ate lunch there and got some awesome pictures. Then went back by water ferry and went to Botanical Gardens and Sydney Opera House. Then went back to hotel and ate around Darling Harbor. If you really want to save money for your meals there is always McDonalds or Subway. I know that I am goung to get slammed for that one. But since I don't like fish and that sort of thing then Subway was go for us. I thought since we were going to be on the boat the next day I could get the fancy dinners and food there and why pay so much when it is free on the ship. We stayed at Four Points Sheraton and it was centrally located and was able to walk to everything. Next day got a taxi and went to port (about a ten minute drive by taxi) and were on the ship by 11:00 am. Awesome and I would definitely like to go back. I hope you enjoy yourself. Any other questions just ask.

Old September 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
30,000+ Club

Our family will be arriving in your lovely city March 17 to 19, 2014 and do a 13 day NZ cruise, arriving back in Sydney for 9 days. This is where we plan to do the bulk of our sight seeing and have two all day tours scheduled. Have been reading all the suggestions & recommendations & thank you.

Points of interest:
1.Opera House on our own
2. Zoo
3. Manly
4. Harbor Cruise ( Lunch)
5. Walking Tour or Ghost Tour
6. Jervis Bay Coastal 1 day & Blue MT near end of stay.

Old September 6th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just as an FYI,
March 17th theymay have some St Patricks day celebrations going on. The big party will be on the Sunday but we have enough backpackers etc that like to celebrate on the day.

I wouldn't put the Rocks Ghost Tour into that night.

May I suggest you don't do the Harbour Cruise for lunch. The food is not very good and you pay through the nose. Much of it will be exactly the same as your Manly Ferry trip too. Just with commentary.

Old September 6th, 2013, 06:43 PM
30,000+ Club

Mrs Waldo, thank you, I actually got thinking of that exact thing regarding the harbor Cruise, plus, when we do the Blue Mountain tour on April 8th, it includes the cruise back under the bridge to Darling Harbor, also in taking the ferry over to the Zoo, & Manly we are getting the same trip probably. If we do the Rocks Ghost tour, it would be either Friday April 4 or Saturday April 5th. The daughter and husbands sister will leave Sydney for the Steve Irwin Zoo on April 2nd, she is determined to see that. DH & I felt with two Zoo's in Sydney, we could enjoy ourselves and not worry about flying out again for a couple days.

Last edited by Desert Cruizers; September 6th, 2013 at 06:44 PM.

Old September 16th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Just a tip for Taronga Zoo. When you get off the ferry to the zoo, take the gondola to the top of the zoo. All the Australian animals are near the top entrance. It is also a more pleasant walk downhill towards the harbour rather than trudging uphill on a hot summer's day. The zoo is often open in the evening in summer so that might be worth checking out if you have planned a full day.

My family has been taking the ferry to Manly beach for more years than I can remember. For us, a visit to Manly is not complete without a takeaway lunch of fish and chips looking over the ocean beach. The best fish and chips is from the shop on the right at the ocean beach end of the pedestrian plaza ( The Corso). You can't miss it. I think it is called Manly Oceanfoods.

When you get off the ferry, leave the ferry terminal, cross at the lights and follow the crowd. It will be very busy as it is a weekend but Manly is buzzing during this time so don't miss it. So much fun just people watching!

Rhapsody of the Seas - 11 nights - Tropical Queensland - Jan 2014
Carnival Spirit - 12 nights - South Pacific - hubby's 60th birthday - Aug 2013.
Radiance of the Seas-5 nights-Newcastle Brisbane Feb 2013
Rhapsody of the Seas- 19 nights -Honolulu to Sydney Sept/Oct 2012
Pacific Sun January 2012 South Pacific
Pacific Sun November 2011- 3 day cruise to nowhere - another birthday 50 years later!
Sea Princess September 1979 - South Pacific
Canberra November 1961-my 8th birthday! Auckland to Sydney
Arcadia September 1961 - Tasman crossing - Sydney to Auckland

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Cruizers View Post
Mrs Waldo, thank you, I actually got thinking of that exact thing regarding the harbor Cruise, plus, when we do the Blue Mountain tour on April 8th, it includes the cruise back under the bridge to Darling Harbor, also in taking the ferry over to the Zoo, & Manly we are getting the same trip probably. If we do the Rocks Ghost tour, it would be either Friday April 4 or Saturday April 5th. The daughter and husbands sister will leave Sydney for the Steve Irwin Zoo on April 2nd, she is determined to see that. DH & I felt with two Zoo's in Sydney, we could enjoy ourselves and not worry about flying out again for a couple days.
Hello Gay,
The cruise back from the Blue Mountains (Olympic Park to Sydney) is along the up-river section of the river on a fast river cat, whereas the cruises and ferries that go to the Zoo and Manly are more of a sea going ferry, if you know what I mean and covers the area between the docks and the the harbour entrance. Poor description, I know. Different views.
If don't do the lunch cruise, you can also take the hop on hop off ferry to Watsons Bay and have some lovely fish and chips right on the pier or at the pub? Great views from here of the rugged coast line just a few minutes walk across the park. This ferry also stops at the Zoo.

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo

Old September 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Forgot to add that the Manly Ferries are dedicated to the Manly run and don't go to Watsons Bay or the Zoo.
Lunch at Manly is also nice. Great beach and better than Bondi IMO.
Hugh

Old September 17th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

One of the things we noticed when we visited Manley (we got off ferry, straight across the rood, walked down to the beach, turned right along a sea walk to a smaller beach..sorry don´t know it´s name) was the on beach DIY BBQ/grill thingies. Are they free free, how do they work, do they have a special name?

Sandy in Spain

Old September 17th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

free guessing you were at Shelly

but some may require coins to operate (sorry I never bbq at Manly)

they're called bbqs and are in many locations around Aus... some will require wood which is usually in a stack nearby (these are the best ones)

In terms of working..first in gets it but most of the time people plonk the snags (steak) on the side to signal they have it next... if tghe person cooking isn;t filling the plate sometimes you share

Old September 17th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I dont see anyone mentioning the Harbor bridge walk. Is it not worth doing? It is quite expensive.

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Go Cruise Brah View Post
I dont see anyone mentioning the Harbor bridge walk. Is it not worth doing? It is quite expensive.
Certainly is worth doing but not cheap depending on time of day/week.
Can also just climb the South Eastern Pylon for very little cost and also has very good views.

Here is a link to a thread on the bridge climb.

Last edited by cassamanda; September 18th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.

Old September 18th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Go Cruise Brah View Post
I've done the Harbour Bridge climb. It was awesome. Not cheap, and it takes a fair bit of time. But if you have time and money, it's a great view!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Old September 19th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi guys really enjoying this thread

We fly from the uk to oz in November and have a couple of days before and a couple after in Sydney before and after our cruise

I don't suppose anyone can tell me the best way to get from the airport to the harbour bridge which is where our hotel is (sebel pier one)
We were thinking taxi but not sure of distance or how much it might cost so any help would be appreciated

Also we have the same dilemma for getting from hotel to dock to embark ship on cruise day and vice versa when we disembark after cruise and head back to the same hotel (sebel pier one)

Any help would be great
Thank you
Mark