Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question for the 75 plus experienced solo cruisers

Would anyone have a reference for me to contact as I would love to cruise and can't persuade my children to go with me and I am recently widowed. Are there any cruises that have a guide or someone in charge that would look out for someone alone also would arrange a suitable cabin mate to share a room. I have looked online with no luck and trust that someone on this site could steer me to the right direction to a travel site in a sincere and trustworthy manner. Thank you.

Old August 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default We are not supposed to recommend travel agents here

I think if you do a search for single cruises, you will find advice. Also, there is a single cruiser forum on cruise critic. If you can navigate to that you will have better success. Good luck.

Old August 21st, 2013, 02:42 AM
5,000+ Club

Holland America has a roommate matching service on at least some of their cruises.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014

World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com

Old August 21st, 2013, 11:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all for your very kind remarks and help.

Old August 21st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

On sme ships you get single cabins...I like gong on P&O and they have coffee mornings for solo travellers. I am booked ina single cabin next May to the Fjords.

Cruised with ........
RCI
HAL
P&O
Princess
Celebrity
NCL

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Would anyone have a reference for me to contact as I would love to cruise and can't persuade my children to go with me and I am recently widowed. Are there any cruises that have a guide or someone in charge that would look out for someone alone also would arrange a suitable cabin mate to share a room. I have looked online with no luck and trust that someone on this site could steer me to the right direction to a travel site in a sincere and trustworthy manner. Thank you.
Along with googling single cruises and single travel - there are travel companies that offer holidays including cruises geared towards older travelers...for example Grand Circle in the US and Saga Holidays in the UK.

Holland America still offers a single share program, I believe.

I have been on "hosted" cruises and have to say that in my experience their cabin matching was really no more than matching the gender and attempting to find a similar age -if that's enough to be suitable, then the Holland America share might work well for you.

I found the hosts assigned to these groups to be nice enough but as far as "looking out for someone alone" - generally on a group singles cruise everyone comes alone so I don't know how much individual assistance they would be able to give you.

Hope that helps a bit.....

Carnival Fascination, Paradise, Destiny, Victory, Freedom, Fantasy(twice), Valor, Splendor (twice) , Liberty(twice), Dream, Magic, Conquest
NCL Dream, Sun, Pride of America
RCL Monarch of the Seas (twice), Jewel of the Seas

Old August 21st, 2013, 08:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Another idea is to check out what used to be called Elderhostel and is now called Road Scholar. They have a lot of trips aimed at the 50+ set, including cruises. I've never been on one but they have a good reputation and I have a friend in her late 60s who swears by them.

Past cruises:
Eurodam 6/2014
Azamara Quest 11/2013
Royal Caribbean Oasis 8/2013
Celebrity Eclipse 4/2013
Celebrity Constellation 11/2012
Norwegian Sky 11/2012
Celebrity Solstice 11/2011
Caribbean Princess 2005
Sapphire Princess 2004
Golden Princess 2003
Golden Princess 2002
Celebrity Century 2001

Old August 22nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Sometimes senior community centers and similar organizations sponsor group cruises. Check around your area.

Roz

Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default help

With 136 posts I assume you have cruised before and have your preferences, both ship and ports. No one is going to take care of you unless paid or offered a free cruise. As said above, cruise mates professionally supplied only consider female or male. Their job is to sell cabins. The 2 doing hosted cruises do a good job. Just search them for monthly cruises on most lines. You do not even have to attend their events. I enjoyed their group dining each evening. For a more personalized approach to finding a cruise mate there is a site with that name.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

If at all possible - book your own cabin - even an interior(which I do) . You will find that after having your own cabin you won't want to share - even with someone you know let alone a stranger!!! Going solo is wonderful - no stress of someone else to accommodate or please!!

Old September 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Moz

Dont feel bad - I am 68 female and never been on cruise OR A PLANE yet! I am like you I dont want to go it alone and find some websites for travelers disgusting for single woman.... I live in NJ and would love to get to my bucket list. Its about time no??? Where are you located in what state?

Last edited by lolakitty37; September 7th, 2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Old September 16th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Moz,

our family is going on an Alaskan cruise through Holland America next August (2014); and my mother, widowed also a long time ago, needs a roomie! She is 79.

Are you still searching for a cruise and someone to room with, the rooms costs are too expensive for her to be in a room alone.

I'm not sure how you get me your info in order to communicate offline, if you are interested. I guess you post your email address?? unless these boards offer private communication? I don't know.

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM
5,000+ Club

I would not recommend posting your e-mail address.

Old September 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM
10,000+ Club

It would help if you could narrow down where you would like to cruise and when. I cruise solo on RCL and have found many cruises that have a solo supplement of 150, which can be very affordable for an inside cabin.

I've cruised primarily on the Explorer from Bayonne in the winter before President's Day and have found many solo cruisers and active roll calls where I made many contacts for dinner and private excursions as well as good prices. I just got back from a Transatlantic on the Brilliance that was a fantastic cruise with many solos. Itineraries with sea days can give you a chance to relax and meet others. On a port intensive cruise folks tend to be very busy without the extra leisure time to socialize.

My advice would be to stay away from the mega ships that attract the "once in a lifetime" cruisers rather than the regular cruisers. The inside cabins on the RCL Radiance and Voyager class ships are the same size as the OV's and the E balconies and being close to the aft elevators is super convenient. On my recent cruise I had an inside guarantee on deck 2 - spent very little time in my cabin. Having my own space to escape was way more important than sharing a cabin with a roommate.

Carol

Old September 17th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
I would not recommend posting your e-mail address.

Do what I do...use a free gmail address specifically for Cruise Critic stuff. This way you can post your email without any problems.

Carnival Carnivale - 1976 - Caribbean (With the Parents)
Star Princess 4/23/2005 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Valor 9/18/2011 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Pride 2/26/2012 - Bahamas
Carnival Liberty 9/15/2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Pride 12/9/2013 - Bahamas Deja Vu
Carnival Dream 4/20/2013 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Glory B2B2B 5/24/2013 - CTN
Carnival Glory B2B2B 5/26/2013- Bahamas
Carnival Glory B2B2B 5/31/2013 - CTN
Carnival Liberty 9/28/2013 - Eastern Caribbean - PLATINUM CRUISE!
Carnival Sunshine 5/30/2014 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Glory B2B - 11/29/2014 & 12/6/2014 Eastern and Western Caribbean

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default looking for someone to cruise with my 79 year old mother

Hi,

ok; here's a throwaway email address; I'm looking for someone to cruise with my mother (age 79) next August to Alaska. If interested, please email me! (include tel. # if you email me) thanks....

mlorenw@rcn.com

Old September 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
To celebrate my 75th birthday, I took my first "solo" TA last April after my husband died in August. I use a walker due to a bleed into my spinal cord 4 years ago. This trip was a "see if you can do it" challenge to myself. My plan was to get my own cabin with a balcony, load up my kindle and sit on the balcony and read.

Turned out that there were so many things to enjoy on sea days that I didn't spend much time reading. Everyone on the ship was kind and helpful. The cabin steward watched over me like a hawk -- making sure that I didn't need anything. The table had 3 other singles and a couple with an adult daughter. They were great and we got along just fine.
In other words, traveling solo was wonderful. I made friends at every program I participated in -- and we still keep in touch.

I am going on another TA in December and can't wait.

I hope you get up your nerve and just do it. Just remember to smile all the time and participate in activities. I can almost guarantee you will have fun.

elaine

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

sounds wonderful!

but it's just too outrageously expensive for my mother to be a room alone with the 100% single supplement! (this particular cruise she's going on).

but good for you!

Old September 23rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Moz been cruising for years solo,may I suggest you book a 4 or 5 nighter to try it out. I've never went with a room mate,a stranger it could end up being a trip from hell. I shop around some times each day for a good cheap rate I need my space.
You state" someone to look out for me" Are you handicapped,sickly?? You want a care taker then you'd have to pay for their cruise

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

If she's got a cruise in mind and the inside is still too expensive, post that info and see if people looking for a roomie for that particular cruise have suggestions as to the best way to find someone.
good luck -- keep us posted. i hope your mom gets to go!