Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Definition of "Cruising Solo"

What does "cruising solo" mean to you? To me, it means that I don't know anyone on this trip. I booked it alone. If I'm traveling with a group, and there are people I know in that group, then I'm not cruising solo. If it's a group trip that I heard about, but I don't know anyone going, I'm solo. If the cruise line set me up with a roommate, I'd still be solo. But if I'm rooming with someone I know, I'm not solo.

I've noticed other people define it differently. What's your definition?

11/16/13 Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas - Western Caribbean
08/31/12 Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Seas - Bermuda
11/29/09 Carnival Pride - Bahamas
06/07/09 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska
02/21/04 HAL Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean
09/12/03 Celebrity Galaxy - Western Caribbean
03/15/03 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
1987 Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas
1973 Greek Lines Olympia - Bermuda
1970 Home Lines Homeric - Bahamas

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What does "cruising solo" mean to you? To me, it means that I don't know anyone on this trip. I booked it alone.
That's EXACTLY what it means, IMO. Cruising "solo" means when I booked the cruise I booked it for myself only, I'm flying down just me, and at the very least I know NO-one personally on the ship at the time of boarding. Anything ELSE is indeed something ELSE.

Sailing:
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas- 11/2014

Sailed:
Carnival Breeze- sailed 03/2014- Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba
Carnival Valor- sailed 11/3013- St Maarten, St Thomas, St Kitts, Barbados, and St Lucia
Norwegian Star- sailed 04/2013- Belize City, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya
Princess Ruby Princess- sailed 11/2012- Princess Cay, St. Maarten, St Thomas, Grand Turk
Carnival Conquest- sailed 05/2012- Key West, Freeport, Nassau
Norwegian Spirit- sailed 10/2011- Belize City, Roatan, Cozumel, Costa Maya
Carnival Elation- sailed 05/2011- Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Triumph- sailed 10/2010- Cozumel, Isla Roatan, Cozumel
Carnival Holiday -sailed 06/2007- Cozumel, Calica

Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I define "cruising solo" as when all parts of organizing the cruise, from reservation to embarkation, are done for yourself only. There are no friends, family, or organized group traveling with you (this includes hosted singles' cruises). Solo is when it's you only.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesCruise View Post
To me, it means that I don't know anyone on this trip. I booked it alone.
I agree; being on the ship with friends or family means you're not traveling solo, even if you are traveling without your significant other or even if you have your own cabin.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedCruiser01 View Post
I define "cruising solo" as when all parts of organizing the cruise, from reservation to embarkation, are done for yourself only. There are no friends, family, or organized group traveling with you (this includes hosted singles' cruises). Solo is when it's you only.
This is my definition of "solo", as well. After talking and planning with many people on my roll call for over a year though, I don't feel like I have no "friends" onboard.
Raffaello - 1968
MV Three Gorges - 1988
Atlas - 1995
Olympic - 1996
Constellation - 2005
Disney Fantasy - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - 2014

World Voyage Blog - kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com

Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Solo to me is when you plan every thing for yourself. the only people I will know on my cruise are the ones I have chatted with on the roll call. And I have really only exchanged e-mails with one. I am looking forward to meeting some of them but I am looking forward to some alone time with a good book and a frosty drink

Cruise Ships - Profile Ticker

Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, maybe it's only the people who haven't cruised solo that are confused about it. People tell me about the person in their group who is cruising solo, or 2 people who are friends and rooming together say they're cruising solo. I thought maybe my definition was too strict, but I see several people agree with me.

Cruising solo is like walking a tightrope without a safety net. If you're with people you know, you have a safety net. You're not all alone trying to fend for yourself.

Old September 24th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bluescruise,
I'm with you on the definition. I admit I get a little grumpy or whatnot when folks say they are going solo on something but really they have friends or family or acquaintances going also. I went to an AI where I knew No One and others said that they had a friend who did that - flew to Ireland by themselves and met people there - so they were alone on the flight?!
Apparently, I want people to acknowledge my bravery! I shouldn't need that! I suck! I'm really not sure why I get irritated...

Sharon

Old September 24th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

To me and more importantly for me, it means being on the ship with no one that I know previous to that trip, but I don't give a flying fig how anyone else defines it. That doesn't effect me in any way.

Old September 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM
5,000+ Club

To me, sailing solo means I'm in the cabin by myself, and I paid double for it.

Roz

Old September 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam3 View Post
Apparently, I want people to acknowledge my bravery! I shouldn't need that! I suck! I'm really not sure why I get irritated...

Sharon
LOL! I know exactly how you feel! How dare people horn in on the term "solo traveler" when they're joining with a tour group or meeting friends somewhere?

IMO, joining a tour group solo means you are traveling with a group (even if you don't know anyone in the group before you join), not traveling solo.

Old September 24th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

To me it means that I am venturing on to a ship where I dont know anyone and I am in no way part of any group.

Cruised with ........
RCI
HAL
P&O
Princess
Celebrity
NCL

Old September 24th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cruising Solo means its just you and only you on that sailing.

This past march I was with my Brother & his BF. Two different cabins, did most all day activities on my own, but I don't consider it a "SOLO cruise."

Future Cruises:
Adventure Of The Seas ~ Nov 16, 2014
Oasis Of The Seas ~ April 11, 2015 30th Birthday!

Past Cruises:
Brilliance Of The Seas ~ March 2014
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ Jan 2014
Oasis Of The Seas ~ Nov 2013
Navigator Of The Seas ~ March 2013
Monarch Of The Seas ~ Oct 2012 B2B
Allure Of The Seas ~ June 2011
Independence Of The Seas ~ March 2010
Navigator Of The Seas ~ Jan 2010
Enchantment Of The Seas ~ Oct 2009
Liberty Of The Seas ~ May 2008
Celebrity Millenium ~ June 2005
Carinval Valor ~ Dec 2004
Navigator Of The Seas ~ June 2003
Explorer Of The Seas ~ July 2001
Carnival Imagination ~ May 1998

Oasis of The Seas - Solo Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1942611

Old September 24th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Cruising solo is like walking a tightrope without a safety net. If you're with people you know, you have a safety net. You're not all alone trying to fend for yourself.
I think that's the defining point: not having a safety net, other than what's provided to you by the cruise line. Things like assigned seating at dinner (a major one), organized icebreaker games, cabin mate matching, dance classes where you rotate partners, etc. If you know anyone on the ship in person from before the cruise, and you make some type of arrangements to meet them, that is not a solo cruise. Neither is flying alone to the embarkation port, only to meet your friends there prior to getting on the ship; that's just hijacking the term "solo cruiser", a proud self-identifier we like to use.

I don't care too much who hijacks the term. Nearly everyone I met on the ship responded positively to my solo status. On land, people's reactions are more mixed, but that's kind of expected; solo cruising isn't exactly mainstream.

Last edited by LandlockedCruiser01; September 24th, 2013 at 11:10 PM.

Old September 25th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Interesting analogy, but I don't really agree. I guess because 90% of my traveling is done solo (both land trips and cruising), so I don't consider it a dangerous challenge like walking a tightrope, and I never thought about having to fend for myself while vacationing solo any more than I "fend for myself" by living solo at home.

If anything, I'd say cruising IS the safety net for solo travelers.....pre-selected dining, with dining partners (if you'd like, no need to find a place to eat and eat alone), organized activities to take part in (if you like, no need to miss out on things because you're alone), organized transportation to pre-selected locations (no need to manage transport schedules or figure out the best or cheapest way to get from here to there - that is, after you decide where you want "there" to be).

Cruising solo is a great way for someone who hasn't traveled solo before to experience it, and a great way for solo people who don't like to do a lot of planning to travel, because so many things are already laid out for you.....you don't need to partake of all (or any) of the offerings, but they're available if you want.

Old September 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think a lot of people get solo cruising confused with single cruising. To me Solo cruising is going on the cruise with no one else that you know previously. Single cruising is going on a cruise while single.
Carnival Triumph 12/22/12
Carnival Sensation 02/07/13
Carnival Imagination 07/05/13
Carnival Imagination 07/08/13
Carnival Imagination 07/12/13
Carnival Inspiration 10/11/13
Carnival Glory 11/01/13
Carnival Conquest 11/24/13
Carnival Conquest 12/01/13
Carnival Elation 02/27/14
Carnival Freedom 03/22/14
Carnival Inspiration 04/18/14
Carnival Breeze 05/04/14

Old September 25th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz View Post
To me, sailing solo means I'm in the cabin by myself, and I paid double for it.

Roz
Exactly!

1997-Statendam-Alaska
2003-Noordam-Baltic
2004-Amsterdam-South America
2004-Zuiderdam-Eastern Caribbean
2004-Amsterdam-Seattle-Vancouver
2005-Westerdam-Transatlantic Ft Lauderdale/Rome
2007-Statendam-Hong Kong to Osaka
2008-Prinsendam-Celtic Kingdoms Cruise
2009-Oosterdam-Med Kngdms-Venice/Turkey/Greece
2013-Volendam - Singapore-Thailand-Vietnam-HK
2013-Zuiderdam-Pacific Coastal
2013-Eurodam-East Coast/Canada
2014-Eurodam-Viking Passage

Old September 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Calliopecruiser, I think you took my analogy too literally. We solo cruisers have to "fend for ourselves" socially and logistically. We don't automatically have someone to talk to, to hang out with, to watch our stuff at the beach, to take our photos, to save us a seat by the pool, in the Windjammer, or at a show. For introverts, this really can be like my tightrope analogy. Luckily for me, I had done some research before my first solo cruise, so I only freaked out momentarily when I realized at sailaway that I had no one to share my excitement with. I joined in the merriment of the 3 ladies next to me at the railing, and it got easier and easier from there.

Traveling solo on land is a totally different definition.

Old September 26th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Calliopecruiser, I think you took my analogy too literally. We solo cruisers have to "fend for ourselves" socially and logistically. We don't automatically have someone to talk to, to hang out with, to watch our stuff at the beach, to take our photos, to save us a seat by the pool, in the Windjammer, or at a show. For introverts, this really can be like my tightrope analogy. Luckily for me, I had done some research before my first solo cruise, so I only freaked out momentarily when I realized at sailaway that I had no one to share my excitement with. I joined in the merriment of the 3 ladies next to me at the railing, and it got easier and easier from there.

Traveling solo on land is a totally different definition.
I guess if you're not used to spending any time alone, not having someone to talk to might freak someone out, or having to find their own seat at the pool might worry someone. It's hard for me to imagine the idea that people need others there to enjoy themselves, but, then, it's hard for some others to imagine how I can be comfortable and content living on my own. To each his/her own, I guess.

Old September 26th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think solo cruising is sort of that fear before you board the ship that once you get on board you will feel out of place or that alone feeling even when you are in a crowd. You don't have that safety net of having someone to be with and talk too. However a cruise is probably the best place to meet people and make friends as a solo person at least that's what I found. Even couples and groups of people can be very friendly towards solo cruises if you have the right attitude. A cruise is not Noah's arc. Many solos and/or single people cruise for a variety of reasons. I've found too that traveling with someone can be difficult and less enjoyable since you are always trying to compromise what to do or not do together which can be a real challenge depending upon who you are traveling with. I do know people that will not travel alone. I always feel sad for those people since they are missing out; but you can't force someone to do something they don't want to do.