Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 10th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for sharing

The pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your blog. We are considering doing this cruise next year. You have given us lots of information and can't wait to see everything.
Princess - Coral Princess - Alaska - April 2007
NCL - Pride of America - Hawaii - Sept. 2005
Celebrity - Mercury - Alaska - Aug. 2004

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvscorgis View Post
The pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your blog. We are considering doing this cruise next year. You have given us lots of information and can't wait to see everything.
Hi,
I'm glad you found the blog useful. This was a great cruise - fabulous ship (favourite so far) and lovely ports-of-all. As you might have guessed from the blog, it comes highly recommended!
Ciao,
Giulio

Bon voyage!

Rhapsody of the Seas (Nov. 2013)
Celebrity Solstice (Mar. 2013)
Voyager of the Seas (Nov. 2012)
Pacific Dawn (Feb. 2012)
Radiance of the Seas (Sept./Oct. 2011)

www.cometravellingwithus.blogspot.com.au/

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for sharing such amazing pictures and providing so many details in your blog (I have to finish reading it). You have the information I need before we book this cruise for early 2015. We have not sailed on Celebrity, but I love everything I see about this ship. Just wondering if others have experienced this cruise on the Diamond Princess or HAL Oosterdam---several couples are going on this cruise and we have to decide on a ship. Also, do you recommend taking a ship's cruisetour of Australia or booking a private tour company? We want to see Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef before we leave Australia. Thanks again for sharing your cruise--I am excited to make this trip.

Linda
Celebrity Solstice - New Zealand, Australia Jan. 2015
RCI Allure of the Seas- Western Caribbean March 2014
Caribbean Princess - Aruba, Curacao Feb. 2013
Star Princess -- Italy, Greece, Turkey, Monaco Oct. 2010
Norwegian Pearl -- Alaska Sept. 2009
Disney Wonder -- Bahamas March 2009
HAL Noordam -- Eastern Caribbean Dec. 2008
Norwegian Sun -- Western Caribbean March 2008

Old September 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wellington – friendly to cruise ships

Wellington embraces the cruise ship industry and each time a cruise ship arrives you will find you will find “Wellington Ambassadors’ all over the city.
These are volunteers who don the yellow and black Wellington uniform and provide information to cruisers.
You will find them near tourist attractions and dotted around the streets.
They are there to help you with any queries.

The Wellington “I” Centre (Information centre) also runs free shuttles from the port to the centre where you can get all the information you need to enjoy your stay in Wellington.
So if you have not made any plans – hop on the shuttle and they will help you organise your day.
They also provide internet access (first 30 minutes free).

For those who want to get to an internet/WI FI spot early the National Library opens at 7am.
It is also full of interesting displays and is a 10 minute easy walk into the city from the ship.
Opposite this you can take a free tour around the parliament buildings (including the Beehive).

Wellington is a compact city with so much going on and is easy to get around.
Contrary to popular belief Wellington does have many lovely hot sunny days

Last edited by 2kiwis; September 26th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Old September 27th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default 2Kiwis,

You make Wellington sound like a very neat place to visit. I'm sorry to say we won't be visiting there on our cruise, but maybe we'll be coming back and I will remember your recommendations. Thanks for taking the time.
OP: Reading the blog and looking at your pictures makes me excited to be going to see such beautiful sites. Thanks for taking the time to post and to blog. You are an excellent photographer.

Good Cruising Patty J.

Old September 27th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmile View Post
Thank you for sharing such amazing pictures and providing so many details in your blog (I have to finish reading it). You have the information I need before we book this cruise for early 2015. We have not sailed on Celebrity, but I love everything I see about this ship. Just wondering if others have experienced this cruise on the Diamond Princess or HAL Oosterdam---several couples are going on this cruise and we have to decide on a ship. Also, do you recommend taking a ship's cruisetour of Australia or booking a private tour company? We want to see Ayers Rock and the Great Barrier Reef before we leave Australia. Thanks again for sharing your cruise--I am excited to make this trip.
Hi tenmile,
Thanks for your kind words about the blog. I love being able to share my experiences with fellow cruisers and, in your case, give them an indepth idea of what to expect if they haven't cruised before.
As for the cruisetour, we haven't done one with any of our cruises so can't 'recommend' as such. However, I had a look at what was on offer on the Celebrity website and there appear to be several advantages to doing a cruisetour (forgive me if you have considered these already)...

1. When you book your cruise you can also book your cruisetour at the same time, which saves you time/expense looking for and booking a private tour.

2. You can be guaranteed the quality of the tour will match the standards set by Celebrity, so that takes out the worry of a private tour, where you might not be certain of what you are getting.

3. You can double-check this but, like shore tours booked through cruise lines, if there is an issue with your cruisetour, the ship should wait for you, or something similar depending on the issue. Of course, this will only apply if you want to do the tour before the cruise (and the thought of relaxing on a cruise after a tour does appeal).

4. I looked around and couldn't find any other all-in-one tour that combines Sydney - Ayers Rock (Uluru) - Cairns (Great Barrier Reef), so you might have to make more than one booking, which get back to point 1 (above).

5. Cost-wise, I'm not sure how cruisetours compare to 'going local' but the time you spend looking for something else and the possible worry about not making the ship in time might outweigh any additional cost you might pay for a cruisetour. The same applies to shore tours booked through the ship - they cost extra but the lack of hassle etc as a result is worth it.

I hope some/all of this helps and please ask any further questions. Either way, enjoy your time on Celebrity Solstice - she is a fabulous ship!

Bon voyage!

Pacific Dawn (Feb. 2012)

Old September 28th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyj 1204 View Post
You make Wellington sound like a very neat place to visit. I'm sorry to say we won't be visiting there on our cruise, but maybe we'll be coming back and I will remember your recommendations. Thanks for taking the time.
OP: Reading the blog and looking at your pictures makes me excited to be going to see such beautiful sites. Thanks for taking the time to post and to blog. You are an excellent photographer.
Hi Patty J,
Thanks for your kind words about the blog. I love cruising but I also love knowing that, at the end of the cruise, I can relive it again via the blog and provide a post with tons of photos and information. It's great being able to share cruise experiences with others and I'm glad the blog has made you excited about what lies ahead.
Thanks also for your kind words about my photos - I am a professional photographer, so being able to share my work with others is part of the reason why I love doing the blog posts.
Happy cruising!

Bon voyage!

Pacific Dawn (Feb. 2012)