Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > 55+ Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

55+ Cruisers Cruise Critic's Senior Cruising Resources

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM
5,000+ Club

I am 85 and just finished 4 cruises. 28 days from LA to and from the South Pacific. 12 days from Rome to Rio and 2 10 day cruises in the Caribbean. The next one is a 12 day to bermuda to celebrate our 60th wedding anniversary.

Where there's a will, there's a way!!!

~Doris~

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am 67, cruise solo and love it more and more with each cruise. HAL is my favorite cruise line these days and today I became a CCL shareholder. Plan to take advantage of shareholder benefits for many years to come.

I am still zip lining in ports where it is offered!

Chelly's email: MeetGreet@hotmail.com

Last edited by Chelly; February 20th, 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Old February 23rd, 2013, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

70s??? How old are you?? I'm going to be 69 in May and have no plans to stop cruising. I started cruising with my DH (his idea!) in Jan. '02, when I was 58 and he was 61. We became totally hooked and did 8 cruises in 6 yrs before he passed away 8-13-08. We
had two cruises booked ahead for '09 and I thought I might have to cancel. But my TA checked with Celebrity and they said if I could find someone else to go with me they would change the reservation with no problem. So his sister went with me in Jan. The next month I met a new friend, Joy, in my bereavement group who had cruised with her DH and was interested in doing the Med. with me in June. The friend who originally planned to go had to back out and Joy was thrilled to go with me. This started a chain of 7 cruises without DH, who is always with me in spirit. This month I cruised with my cousin and we have booked another for next Jan.
When you are young, 70s seems ancient, lol. My cousin turned 70 the day after we sailed and we celebrated on board. We are doing the W. Carib. next year (she'll turn 71 the day we disembark) and possibly S. Amer. in '15. As long as I am ambulatory I'll be on the go. Life is too short to stop cruising!

1/02 Explorer OS E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure OS S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy P. Canal 6/06 Jewel OS Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords
1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ Last cruise with DH
1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib.
6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia 2/12 Summit S. Carib. 8/12 Millenium Alaska cruise/tour
2/13 Summit S. Carib. 1/14 Silhouette W. Carib.

Old February 25th, 2013, 12:19 PM
5,000+ Club

I'll be 72 & DH will be 82 when we embark on a 26 day b2b cruise in October.
If we had the money, we'd cruise until we couldn't get around anymore.

DH uses a cane so we request wheelchair service at airports.
If we were to quit cruising it would be because flying became too much of a hassle. Here in southwest we always have layovers and connecting flights.

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Last edited by NMLady; February 25th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

My folks are in their 80s and cruise whenever they feel like it. Mom doesn't like boats because she tends toward seasickness, so they don't cruise as often as they otherwise might.

H & I aren't sure how much we LOVE cruising, but will try at least a few more to decide. We did like the Glacier Bay cruise and perhaps a river cruise in Europe and maybe another Alaska cruise with a land portion.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

I can't imagine having to try a few more to decide if you are hooked on cruising. I think it happened to DH and me as we were walking along the pier to the boarding ramp for our very first cruise. We took one look at the ship, Explorer of the Seas, and our mouths fell open in wonder. We felt awed and humbled at this amazingly beautiful ship that was to our home for the next week. The cruise did not disappoint and we were hooked for life. Even though Celebrity became our favorite line, RCCL is still a viable option and truthfully I think their ships are prettier, although I've not been on any of the really new ones.

Old March 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

When my mom turned 80, it was like she turned a corner. She lost weight (not even tried to) which we realized later was both muscle mass and bone mass. She just passed away last year at age 89. Most of her significant health issues were from 80 to 89. I am built like her and seem to be having some of her same issues that she had in her 50s. So I would say I'd sail until age 80.

Old March 12th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just want to say, anyone that has responded to this, and is PAST the age of 65, MORE power to you.

My friend and I (my husband won't fly) were to cruise the 30th of this month, (I just turned 70 in February) but since I have been in the hospital 6 times (last year and this year), I am having to cancel this trip. We wanted to go so bad, but going to the Caribbean, and something happening to me, until I'm released by the doctor I could not take a chance on.

If I don't do a cruise this year, I WILL plan for next year.

I have cruised for over 20 years, and LOVE, LOVE, VOVE it. Of course anyone can be "nit picky" if they want, but you have to find the GOOD in people, and where you are headed on your cruise.

Old March 12th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Good for YOU !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshears View Post
I just want to say, anyone that has responded to this, and is PAST the age of 65, MORE power to you.

My friend and I (my husband won't fly) were to cruise the 30th of this month, (I just turned 70 in February) but since I have been in the hospital 6 times (last year and this year), I am having to cancel this trip. We wanted to go so bad, but going to the Caribbean, and something happening to me, until I'm released by the doctor I could not take a chance on.

If I don't do a cruise this year, I WILL plan for next year.

I have cruised for over 20 years, and LOVE, LOVE, VOVE it. Of course anyone can be "nit picky" if they want, but you have to find the GOOD in people, and where you are headed on your cruise.
It took me ELEVEN YEARS !! To get my wife on a cruise ship !! She kept stubbornly saying, ' NOoooooooo !! NOT me!! NO way, am I going anywhere on a boat !!' I finally went behind her back, and booked us on a five day cruise on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile for our 12th anniversary, the 17th of March. We went to the cabin, unpacked and went topside for the sail away party and before we even left the dock, she turned to me and said, ' WHEN can WE do this AGAIN !! To say she was HOOKED ! Is an understatement !! Since then, we've been on EIGHT cruises, and are going on one this weekend for our anniversary out of Port Cavernal on the Carnival Dream. It's all she's talked about for months !! Seems, I've created a 'cruise mama' !!

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow six hospitalization in a year is a LOT. Please take care and work on rebuilding your strength.

Both H and I are ambivalent about cruising but perhaps it will grow on us. Our first and only cruise was 9/12. H was celebrating his 70th birthday with several HS classmates. It was pleasant but not a must for us.

Last edited by HImom; March 13th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

For as long as I can.

Welcome to My Blog

1993-NCL (Southward) Baja California
1994-Princess (Fair Princess) Baja California
2000-Celebrity (Galaxy) Alaska
2002-Victoria Cruises-Yantze River, China (Wuhan to Chongqing)
2002-Celebrity (Mercury) Alaska
2004-Carnival (Elation) Western Caribbean
2005-NCL (Sea) 16-day Houston to Los Angeles Panama Canal)
2007-NCL (Pride of Aloha) Hawaii
2008-Carnival (Splendor) 8-day Inaugural Genoa to Dover
2008-Carnival (Splendor) 12-day Baltic
2008-NCL (Star) Mexican Riviera
2009-Victoria (Queen)-Yangtze River, China (Shanghai to Chongqing)
2009-HAL (Zaandam)-Alaska
2010-NCL (Gem)-14-day B/B Venice (Adriatic, Turkey, Greek Isles)
2011-Princess (Diamond)-Alaska 12-day Cruisetour
2012-MSC (Splendida)-Western Mediterranean
2012-NCL (Jade)-Eastern Mediterranean and Holy Land
2014-Carnival (Inspiration)-Baja California
2014-Royal Caribbean (Radiance OTS)- 13-day R/T Sydney/New Zealand

Old August 5th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

So...we are both mid-60s (next year, I will be beyond that "mid" part) and when this year is done, we will have been cruising for 70 days. 25 days scheduled for February/March next year so far. We cannot make up our collective minds what to do later in the year.

We'll continue at that pace until one of us just cannot do it. Then we will live with our memories and drive the kids nuts with those memories. They don't believe some of it now, who knows what they will think in the future.

Jim
Carnival Celebration, 12/96, New Orleans
NCL Norwegian Majesty, 10/99, Boston to San Juan
Sky Princess, 7/00, San Francisco (Alaska RT)
Sun Princess, 4/01, San Juan to Acapulco
Carnival Triumph, 2/02, Miami
Star Princess, 10/02, Los Angeles
Celebrity Constellation, 1/04, San Juan
Celebrity Summit, 11/04, Ft. Lauderdale
Grand Princess, 2/06, Galveston
Sea Princess, 2/07, Ft. Lauderdale
HAL Ryndam, 3/08, San Diego (Sea of Cortez)
Celebrity Constellation 1/09, Ft. Lauderdale
Golden Princess 10/09, Los Angeles (Hawaii)
HAL Zuiderdam 1/11, Ft. Lauderdale
Crown Princess 11/11, Ft. Lauderdale
Celebrity Silhouette, 3/12 New Jersey/NYC
HAL Statendam, 2/13, San Diego (Hawaii/French Polynesia)
HAL Maasdam, 10/13, Ft. Lauderdale (TA round-trip 42 days)
Grand Princess 2/14, SFO (Hawaii and then Mexico 25 days)
Next up...HAL Ryndam, 1/15, Tampa (21 days)

Old August 18th, 2013, 08:21 PM
5,000+ Club

Huaband of 60 years and I both turned 85 this year, We have done 3 cruises this year and have 3 more booked for next year. If I get a long enough warning about our year of death, we plan to sell up and do the longest round the world cruise we can find. We are fortunate to be able to do as much as we do. We have enough money and fair health.

And we are always inspired by the people we meet on cruises who are even older than we are.

Last edited by dorisis; August 18th, 2013 at 08:22 PM.

Old August 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Like many here, I was hooked on our first cruise. We have never looked back and cruise at least once a year and more often twice. Now we tend to take longer cruises and also to spend time either before or after ( sometimes both) in Europe so we get the money's worth for our airline fares. At one point, we seemed to be tired of the Caribbean, but no feel that we could do that again. However, I think we will wait until Europe becomes too much for us to handle. This October we leave for Paris early in October. After 2 weeks of land touring we will start our first cruise from Barcelona for 12 days. Then fly to Rome and do a B2B for 24 days before flying back home. That means we will be away for 2 months. I plan to keep doing this until either health or money runs out.

Last edited by gubby; August 19th, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

Old August 19th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

dorisis--How wonderful and blessed that you still have each other and are well enough to cruise and travel together at 85. I'm trying not to envy you too much, lol.
In my post above, I said my cousin was going with me again in Feb., but she has been battling major health problems and won't be able to go, so I have almost convinced my friend, Trudy, to go with me. Trudy has been on 2 European river cruises and recently said she'd like to try ocean cruising. I jumped on that right away, lol. She is worried about being on a large ship with thousands of other people and thinks it will be too crowded. Her only experience has been the smaller riverboats. I told her the size of a large ocean cruiser makes it easy for thousands of people to spread out and not hem anyone in. I think she will decide to go and I know she will love it. The cruise is on Celebrity Silhouette for Jan. 26th to the W. Carib.
Happy cruising to you for many years to come.

Old September 11th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

we will cruise till there is still no air in my body... I may even live on one when its time for the nursing home like Lady Judy on Carnivals Legend out of Tampa... she used to live on the inspiration. for what it costs our family to put us in a nursing home its cheaper this way and you have your clothes cleaned... food hot buffet style or dining in.. all the entertainment that anit that bad... I think I like it how bout you??

Old September 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We took our first cruise on our 30th anniversary and hope to be cruising for a long time to come. We will be celebrating our 44th anniversary next Sept in Barcelona at the end of a TA on the oasis, can't wait . I realize we are lucky and have 3 cruises planned during the next 12 months, the shortest being 13 days. These trips are just a highlight of the wonderful life we've shared.......will continue until we can't ...Linda

Old October 6th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Update on my cabinmate problem--My SIL ( DH's sister) is going with me. I had talked to her and Trudy both about possibly needing a back-up. Trudy decided not to go, but Renie said yes. We have sailed together twice before and had good times. I booked the flights 2 weeks ago Thurs and last week my TA booked a hotel for us. It's such a relief to have everything settled.
This will be my 8th cruise without DH after 8 with him. Renie and I always use his bday for our combination for the cabin safe, a tribute to him for getting us started with cruising in 2002. I'm looking ahead to lots more cruises with my wonderful friends and family.

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd like to live on a cruise ship when the time comes and I have problems living in my home. For about $300/day/ couple, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than assisted living or a nursing home and I'm not sure I could put up living with my kids- or them me- everyday anymore!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
2013 CelebritySolstice - Aust/ NZ;2012 RCCL Allure; 2011 Disney Dream; 2011 RCCL Explorer;2011 RCCL Oasis; 2010 Carnival Conquest; 2010 RCCL Jewel ; Scand/ Russia; 2009 RCCL Voyager; 2008 RCCL Liberty; 2007 Disney Wonder; 2006 NCL America - Hi. Inter-island;2005 RCCL Rhapsody;2003 RCCL Legend-Alaska;2002 Carnival Celebration - Mexico;2000 RCCL Monarch;1997 RCCL Majesty~ Our First.

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

My Dad was 82 on his FIRST cruise- not counting WWII! Mom wouldn't go, so when she was gone, he came with mine and my brothers families.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app
2013 CelebritySolstice - Aust/ NZ;2012 RCCL Allure; 2011 Disney Dream; 2011 RCCL Explorer;2011 RCCL Oasis; 2010 Carnival Conquest; 2010 RCCL Jewel ; Scand/ Russia; 2009 RCCL Voyager; 2008 RCCL Liberty; 2007 Disney Wonder; 2006 NCL America - Hi. Inter-island;2005 RCCL Rhapsody;2003 RCCL Legend-Alaska;2002 Carnival Celebration - Mexico;2000 RCCL Monarch;1997 RCCL Majesty~ Our First.