Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old October 5th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Packing for a 9 & 11 year old...

This will be the first cruise we have taken our children on & I am wondering how much others typically pack for a 5 night cruise. As it stands, I have 6 daytime outfits plus swim trunks & 5 evening outfits (mainly to eat in the main dining room). Is this too much?

-------------------------------------
Carnival Elation ~ November 2013 ~ Family Cruise
Carnival Elation ~ November 2012 ~ Honeymoon

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

This may be over the top, but I used it or our lady cruise. My wife and son didn't, and they both over packed...lol

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1893949

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas (6 days to Bermuda) Review AO Daily Planners

Old October 6th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

It depends, I think, whether your kids are boys or girls. (I'm guessing boys from the swim trunks reference?) I doubt I would pack a new outfit for dinner every night for boys that aren't especially interested in fashion. (Mine weren't) We took our boys on the first cruise that they remember at ages 5 and 7 and we recycled dinner outfits. Actually, most nights they preferred to have dinner by the pool and then go back to the kids' club while we had an adult dinner out. YMMV. They only had dinner in the MDR one or two nights of a 14 night cruise. If it were me packing I'd pack two dinner outfits, the 6 daytime outfits and two pairs of swim trunks each (since putting wet ones on isn't fun).

Old October 6th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your responses!

Yes, they are boys. I do plan on reusing the shorts for the evening outfits. They are actually very excited about getting "dressed" for dinner as of right now. Especially for elegant night. Of course, this may change after we are on the ship! I also have 3 swim trunks in their plethora of clothes. I did have 2, but then the "what if something happens" kicked in & added another! :/

Old October 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have two boys too . I pack one daytime outfit, a shirt for every night and 2-3 pairs of neutral coloured dress pants for each child. We reuse pants, but often the shirts are not in good shape after going to the kids club!
Don't forget socks to go with the dress pants

Completed:

NCL Sun 1-1-2011 Eastern Carribean
NCL Star 1-1-2012 Western Caribbean
NCL Jewel 30-12-12 Florida and Bahamas
Disney Dream 14-3-13 Bahamas
NCL Breakaway 9-3-2014 Florida and Bahamas

Land trips to Italy, Portugal, Spain, Egypt, Colombia, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, most of the eastern US and all the Canadian provinces.

Old October 6th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

My kids will swim morning, noon & night. I pack 5 swim trunks & 5 rash guards for a 9 day cruise.

Old October 6th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have 2 boys also...for a 7 day cruise I pack 2 swim trunks and rash guards, crocs, 8 daytime outfits, a pair of khaki pants, a pair of navy pants, 4 polo shirts, pajamas....I used to pack dress shoes but now they just wear their sneakers with the dress pants. They can wear shorts in the MDR so I usually throw in some dressier plaid shorts as well.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3
NYC to Bermuda
Norwegian Breakaway 12/2013
NYC to Florida/Bahamas

Old October 6th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone! I am so worried I am over packing! Seems like a lot of clothes for a 5 day cruise! I imagine they will spend a lot of time swimming, but I want them to be able to change during the day if they decide to. I also have a few neutral pairs of shorts for each with different tops to wear to dinner as well as a pair of dress pants for each for elegant night. I guess if we do over pack, at least it will be a lesson learned for the next time that we take them!

Our 16 & 19 year old sons are going as well. I told them they needed something for the day & something for dinner every night as well. I imagine they can get by with a bit less as they won't be near as messy as the little ones.

Old October 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I thought I over packed on our first cruise last year, but actually ran out of clothes for my kids. Went through 2 sets of clothes per day(sometimes more if our daughter wanted to change after dinner for kid's club). A lot of stuff ended up being wet from wearing wet bathing suit underneath, sweating(It was August in the Caribbean), or just seemed dirty from being in port all day. They did re-wear some shorts that seemed fine, but shirts were an issue for us. Packing extra-extra for our cruise this month. Luckily kid's clothes are not too big!

Old October 10th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by racnug View Post
I thought I over packed on our first cruise last year, but actually ran out of clothes for my kids. Went through 2 sets of clothes per day(sometimes more if our daughter wanted to change after dinner for kid's club). A lot of stuff ended up being wet from wearing wet bathing suit underneath, sweating(It was August in the Caribbean), or just seemed dirty from being in port all day. They did re-wear some shorts that seemed fine, but shirts were an issue for us. Packing extra-extra for our cruise this month. Luckily kid's clothes are not too big!
I understand! It seems like I am packing sooooo much for them!