Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > 55+ Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

55+ Cruisers Cruise Critic's Senior Cruising Resources

Old September 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always take out travel insurance whenever we do major trips like cruises or overseas holidays. We had a cruise earlier in the year and were called home early because my wife's mother took ill suddenly and passed away before we could arrive home. We took out insurance with Allianz Global Assist and they refused to pay our claim because they "dont recognise anyone over the age of 85 years". This is a disgrace and we have just been advised from Anti Discrimination Queensland Agency that it is discrimination on the basis of age.
Avoid Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance at all costs, as we have found since our experience, there are others who have lost many more dollars due to refused claims by Allianz

Old September 29th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJB View Post
We always take out travel insurance whenever we do major trips like cruises or overseas holidays. We had a cruise earlier in the year and were called home early because my wife's mother took ill suddenly and passed away before we could arrive home. We took out insurance with Allianz Global Assist and they refused to pay our claim because they "dont recognise anyone over the age of 85 years". This is a disgrace and we have just been advised from Anti Discrimination Queensland Agency that it is discrimination on the basis of age.
Avoid Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance at all costs, as we have found since our experience, there are others who have lost many more dollars due to refused claims by Allianz
I'm sorry for your loss and for having to leave the cruise under these circumstances. I can't help but wonder: did they put this information in the policy? (I realize it could have been buried in the fine print.)

AMAWaterways Danube Cruise 2010
RCCL Legend of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise 2008
Celebrity Century Arctic Cruise 2007

Old September 29th, 2013, 05:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Travel Insurance

It may have been hidden deep in the fine print but that does not make it legal, nor does it make it moral. Queensland Anti Discrimination Agency and Australian Human Rights have both made that statement as has our legal advisors.

Old October 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJB View Post
It may have been hidden deep in the fine print but that does not make it legal, nor does it make it moral. Queensland Anti Discrimination Agency and Australian Human Rights have both made that statement as has our legal advisors.
I am glad to see you have their support.

AMAWaterways Danube Cruise 2010
RCCL Legend of the Seas Mediterranean Cruise 2008
Celebrity Century Arctic Cruise 2007