Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old October 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was amazed that in the US earlier this year that the chip and pin were not used. The security is so much better than signing. Not once was my signature checked.
I doubt that any cards that are issued here in Oz come without a chip and pin now.
Do you have Wave and Pay in the US?

email Stratheden

HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky333 View Post
Felicia -- regarding the PIN and chip credit cards --
I got one 'just in case' for a trip to Iceland this summer and did end up needing it one time. For every other purchase my regular magnetic strip c/c was fine. It seems to be the wave of the future especially if you travel in Europe often.

My bank, USAA, offered them and I didn't need to open a new c/c acct - it was available on the acct I already had so it was a piece of cake to get. Just have to be sure to remember the PIN since it can't be reset once they mail it out to you.

We had the situation where you have to settle up with your c/c on the final morning when we sailed with Viking in China. The line was 150 people deep! Very frustrating. I guess I'll start girding my loins now to deal with that again
I called Chase again to verify and was told the same thing....that I can get a new card with a PIN, but I will not be able to get my Southwest miles. I have no idea what the reasoning is for that.

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbeau View Post
It is the "wave of the future" in the US -- in that it is slowly starting to come here. Amex now offers a chip (but no pin) version of their Platinum card if you ask for it. And my new British Airways card came with a chip -- I assume it also lacks a pin because they didn't say anything about remembering or resetting it.
Sooooo, what is the difference in having a card with a chip and a card with a PIN? I know what a PIN is, but can you get a card with a chip and it will serve the same purpose?
Felicia

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Cruise Critic Host

The European "chip and PIN" technology means the PIN is burned into the chip. The card is therefore self-verifying and the merchant doesn't need an internet connection.

European train station kiosks and rural gas stations will only accept the full chip and PIN cards.

Otherwise, most merchants will accept your US mag-stripe card, and almost all will take chip w/o PIN cards. In both cases you have to sign the receipt just like here.

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Just completed:
Walking the Camino de Santiago (4 Star Guided Tour) --
https://jazzbeauxcamino2014.shutterfly.com/pictures/5

Booked:
Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-1-2015
Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-10-2015
AMA Provence 9-3-2015
Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-31-2016
Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-11-2016
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-8-2016

Sailed:
Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-7-2014 / Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-19-2014 / AmaCello Rhine 8-30-2013 / Coral Princess Alaska 6-26-2013 / Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-28-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-17-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-18-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-18-1974

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have a Wells Fargo Signature By Invitation Only card that has a chip and pin and no foreign transaction fees. During the past 6 months we have been in Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, and Czech Republic. I have never had to use my pin number. It always has been swiped and we sign. I keep wondering if we are ever going to be asked to use the pin number. Is my card really not the kind they use in Europe or have I just been to places that use the US style of CC swipes? I was told that this card was the proper card for Europe but I am beginning to wonder.

Old October 9th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

It is not the card it is the machine. If you have a chip in your card it can be read by inserting the card in the bottom of the machine. If they are old machines, you will have to swipe and sign. Of course you can elect to sign if you prefer.

Very few of the old machines left here in Australia.

email Stratheden

HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014

Last edited by Stratheden; October 9th, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Old October 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Felicia,

I had a question about your flights back to the US. Did you have connections in Europe? I used miles for our flights and our choices were less than desirable. After leaving Bucharest, we have a 75 minute connection window in Munich and then a 90 minute window in Brussels. Where did you go through passport control at? Was it only at Bucharest airport? I know we'll have to most likely go through security at each airport, but I'm concerned if we have to go through security and passport control on one of our connections, we may run the risk of missing a flight. Thanks for all your posts!!!

Tim

Old October 9th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
I have a Wells Fargo Signature By Invitation Only card that has a chip and pin and no foreign transaction fees. During the past 6 months we have been in Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria, Germany, and Czech Republic. I have never had to use my pin number. It always has been swiped and we sign. I keep wondering if we are ever going to be asked to use the pin number. Is my card really not the kind they use in Europe or have I just been to places that use the US style of CC swipes? I was told that this card was the proper card for Europe but I am beginning to wonder.
Interesting. In both Croatia and in Romania, I had to have a credit card with a PIN; otherwise, they could not accept it.
Felicia

Old October 9th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxgrad98 View Post
Hi Felicia,

I had a question about your flights back to the US. Did you have connections in Europe? I used miles for our flights and our choices were less than desirable. After leaving Bucharest, we have a 75 minute connection window in Munich and then a 90 minute window in Brussels. Where did you go through passport control at? Was it only at Bucharest airport? I know we'll have to most likely go through security at each airport, but I'm concerned if we have to go through security and passport control on one of our connections, we may run the risk of missing a flight. Thanks for all your posts!!!

Tim
Tim:
I left Bucharest and changed in Frankfurt, with 2 hrs to connect. It would have been plenty of time if it'd been 75 mins. Then we went to Chicago, and the connection time was 90 minutes, but that was pushing it. Being that it was my first arrival in the US, this is where we went thru passport control and customs, but I had to get my luggage and recheck it which took up time. And it felt like it was forever to get to my gate.

Are you changing planes in Munich and Brussels AND then one other city (in the US/Canada?)

On the way to Budapest, I changed in Brussels and since it was the first city in Europe, I just gave my passport to passport control and zipped on thru.

I think your 75 mins in Munich is plenty of time, and so is 90 mins in Brussels.
Felicia

Old October 12th, 2013, 12:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osnab View Post
Tim:
I left Bucharest and changed in Frankfurt, with 2 hrs to connect. It would have been plenty of time if it'd been 75 mins. Then we went to Chicago, and the connection time was 90 minutes, but that was pushing it. Being that it was my first arrival in the US, this is where we went thru passport control and customs, but I had to get my luggage and recheck it which took up time. And it felt like it was forever to get to my gate.

Are you changing planes in Munich and Brussels AND then one other city (in the US/Canada?)

On the way to Budapest, I changed in Brussels and since it was the first city in Europe, I just gave my passport to passport control and zipped on thru.

I think your 75 mins in Munich is plenty of time, and so is 90 mins in Brussels.
Felicia
Hi Felicia,

Thanks for the info. We arrive back into the US at Dulles in D.C., so I know that's where we'll go through US customs before catching our connecting flight to Knoxville. I'm hoping we'll only have to go through European customs when we leave at Bucharest. For some reason, a few years ago when we flew back to the US from Rome, we connected in Munich and went through customs there to exit Europe, not Rome. So who knows. I guess if we miss a connection, we'll just enjoy an extra day in Europe!! Franski mentioned having a passport check on the ship one morning. Did you have that on your cruise? Again, thanks for all the info!! Enjoyed reading about your experiences.

Tim

Old October 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxgrad98 View Post
Hi Felicia,

Thanks for the info. We arrive back into the US at Dulles in D.C., so I know that's where we'll go through US customs before catching our connecting flight to Knoxville. I'm hoping we'll only have to go through European customs when we leave at Bucharest. For some reason, a few years ago when we flew back to the US from Rome, we connected in Munich and went through customs there to exit Europe, not Rome. So who knows. I guess if we miss a connection, we'll just enjoy an extra day in Europe!! Franski mentioned having a passport check on the ship one morning. Did you have that on your cruise? Again, thanks for all the info!! Enjoyed reading about your experiences.

Tim
There was one time we had to present our faces to immigration. It took all of 5 mins. It was organized bc they called by decks. We had to have passports on us in vidin I think and in Bucharest if you go to the parliament. Otherwise the shop keeps ur passport.
Felicia.