Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Luxury Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Luxury Cruising Is it a state of mind?

Discussion to include, but not limited to: Abercrombie & Kent • American Safari • Aqua Expeditions • Azamara • Bora Bora Cruises • Compagnie du Ponant • Cruise Asia Ltd. • Crystal • Cunard • French Country Waterways • Go Barging • Hapag-Lloyd • Hebridean • Heritage Line • Lindblad Expeditions • Oberoi Group • Oceania • Orion Expedition Cruises • Paul Gauguin Cruises • Regent Seven Seas • Sea Cloud Cruises • Seabourn • SeaDream • Silversea • Star Clippers • Travel Dynamics • Uniworld • Windstar

Old October 16th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Default Crystal Cruises Caps Free Specialty Dining

Check out this news item from Cruise Critic:

Crystal Cruises Caps Free Specialty Dining

Old October 16th, 2013, 12:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Totally wrong. If Oceania can allow extra reservations for free why can't Crystal?

Old October 16th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wripro View Post
Totally wrong. If Oceania can allow extra reservations for free why can't Crystal?

Amen!

Old October 16th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Check out this news item from Cruise Critic:

Crystal Cruises Caps Free Specialty Dining
Interesting ! So in this premium Oceania certainly tops the so called Luxury line.

Old October 16th, 2013, 11:18 PM
10,000+ Club

Crystal does not seem to know its' own identity. They change so often that no one can take them seriously.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

It says that some people were hogging the reservations so one per and that way everyone can go to the specialty dining. Makes sense to me.

Old October 18th, 2013, 03:06 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
Crystal does not seem to know its' own identity. They change so often that no one can take them seriously.
Yes, Crystal has introduced several changes over the last couple of years which have resulted in more interest in the cruise line and while not everyone likes all of the changes bookings from existing and new customers appear to be very strong.

I take them very seriously and most people I know do as well.

When I read each of the luxury line boards there are some changes that each line has introduced that some people care for and others do not.

Keith

Old October 18th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
I agree - first they tout the wonders of going to all-inclusive, and then in less than 2 years negate that policy and are now NOT all-inclusive. I too will not take their announcements "seriously" in that I don't know how long they will last or what the cruise line will look like when my booked cruise actually comes due. Will the line offer me on cruise day what they say they'll offer me when I booked it? Who knows? Already the cruise I've booked for 2014 is not the cruise it was when I put down the deposit several months ago.

Old November 29th, 2013, 08:03 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredflint View Post
It says that some people were hogging the reservations so one per and that way everyone can go to the specialty dining. Makes sense to me.
No, IMHO, it's a money grab. On all my Crystal cruises, I've never been shut out of being able to get into either of their specialty restaurants. This is just the excuse Crystal uses to get some extra cash. It's perceived that Crystal's parent company is getting weary of the line not performing in the black.

Old November 29th, 2013, 08:12 PM
50,000+ Club

No money grab.

With the fee having been waived at the restaurants and also occupancy much higher than in the past it was becoming a problem for some guests to get into the restaurants. I was on several voyages earlier this year and saw it first hand.

Keith

Old November 30th, 2013, 01:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Then Crystal should do a better job of monitoring how many reservations each guest has had. Charging $30 is inappropriate and demeaning.