Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 17th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sydney boutique hotel

We are arriving in Sydney on 1/30 departing on Regent Voyager on 2/1. We are looking for a hotel that is charming, 4-5 stars and not a high rise hotel. Please provide suggestions. Thanks.

Old October 18th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Stafford Rendezvous Harrington Street, close to OPT
https://www.google.com/maps/preview/...d=0CPMBEKIqMAs

we´ve stayed there twice, official rating 3*. Last time we were given a little öld refurbished terraced house ´attached¨ to the hotel...cute, http://www.rendezvoushotels.com/sydn...efault-en.html
time before a studio apartment

Sandy in Spain

Old October 18th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know how many stars but I loved my week at The Russell Hotel in the Rocks. Fantastic location acroos the street form the cruise terminal and Circular Quay for the ferries. I walked the harbor in front of the Opera House every night, stunning views of the bridge etc

1995 May Crown Princess Alaska
1996 Jan Crown Princess S Caribbean
1997 Feb Crown Princess S Caribbean / Sept Crown Princess Panama Canal
1998 June Island Princess Alaska / Oct Crown Princess Tahiti-Hawaii
1999 June Norway NCL Norway / Sept Mercury Celebrity Alaska
2000 Jan Rhapsody RCL Mexico / March Grand Princess E Caribbean
July Regal Princess Alaska / Oct Dawn Princess S Caribbean
2001 Feb Millennium W Caribbean / May Statendam HAL Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
Oct Sea Princess Mexico
2002 May Summit Celebrity Hawaii-Vancouver / July Grand Princess W Caribbean
Aug Legend RCl Alaska / Nov Prinsendam HAL Australia NZ
2003 Jan Splendour RCL W Caribbean / March Mercury Celebrity Pacific Coast
May Sun Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
2004 Jan Dawn Princess S Caribbean 2X (B2B)
Oct Sapphire Princess Mexico
2005 May Sun Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
Oct Dawn Princess Mexico
2006 Feb Liberty Carnival Caribbean / May Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal
Oct Dawn Princess Mexico
2007 May Dawn Princess Alaska / Sept Grand Princess TransAtlantic
2008 March Ryndam HAL Mexico Sea Cortez / Sept Dawn Princess Alaska
2009 Jan Star Princess South America Antarctica / May Star Princess Alaska
Sept Freedom RCL Caribbean
2010 March Star Princess South America Brazil / Aug Royal Princess Alaska
Dec Sapphire Princess Mexico
2011 May Sapphire Princess Pacific Coastal / Aug Diamond Princess Alaska
NB/SB (B2B)
2012 Feb Grand Princess S Caribbean / June Sea Princess Alaska
Nov Island Princess Panama Canal
2013 Jan Pacific Princess E Caribbean / May Island Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
Grand Princess Mexico Sea Cortez
2014 Jan Grand Princess Hawaii / June Crown Princess Alaska NB/SB (B2B)
Nov Star Princess Mexico Sea Cortez
2015 Dec Pacific Princess 50th Anniv Mexico

Old October 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Patti22. You will find that nearly all the hotels around the harbour precinct and into the CBD will be running special New Years Eve packages - more rather than less expensive. Accommodation is at a premium for those dates due to the NYE fireworks and celebrations around the harbour. I did a search for friends visiting Sydney and the only availability was for rooms 600 - 1000 AUD per night and most were showing booked out for 30/12. They are now camping out on my attic floor. I suggest you use wotif to do a general search and be prepared to look at accommodation on the city fringes or be satisfied with a larger hotel where there is some availability.

http://www.wotif.com/search/results?...stination=2414

Good luck!

Old October 18th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Your Dates

Patti, are you writing your dates the American or Australian way? I assumed the American way, meaning you are here the end of January/early February. We write our dates day/month/year, and if you mean you are here end of Dec early Jan, then you indeed have a big New Years Eve problem with accommodation.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karennella View Post
Patti, are you writing your dates the American or Australian way? I assumed the American way, meaning you are here the end of January/early February. We write our dates day/month/year, and if you mean you are here end of Dec early Jan, then you indeed have a big New Years Eve problem with accommodation.

Regents Voyager is shown on Ports of Sydney Cruise Schedule as follows..

Seven Seas Voyager
31-Jan-2014 07:00 (Fri)
01-Feb-2014 22:00 (Sat)
White Bay Cruise Terminal

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old October 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kruzer View Post
Regents Voyager is shown on Ports of Sydney Cruise Schedule as follows..

Seven Seas Voyager
31-Jan-2014 07:00 (Fri)
01-Feb-2014 22:00 (Sat)
White Bay Cruise Terminal
Sorry for the misdirection Patti22. I misread your dates. We stayed at the Russell in late summer last year and the fan plus opening windows provided sufficient ventilation for us. In the warmer weather we usually get in early February you may prefer the Rendezvous. The rooms at the Russell vary from standard with shared bathroom to larger superior rooms with ensuite. We checked out the Tips for hotel rooms on Tripadvisor before we booked our room at the Russell and opted for a superior with courtyard access. The location was ideal.

Old October 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry about the date issue. We are arriving on Jan 30 and on board on Feb. 1. Thank you to all who have responded.

Old October 18th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also, you hopefully will understand that we do not really know what date it is after coming from the US!!! Thanks for bearing with me.

Old October 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Simpsons

Simpsons of Potts Point is highly recommended.

Great quiet location, yet close to good restaurants and shops.

www.simpsonshotel.com

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old October 19th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDown Under View Post
Simpsons of Potts Point is highly recommended.

Great quiet location, yet close to good restaurants and shops.

www.simpsonshotel.com
How did you get to the Circular Quay/Opera House etc from this hotel? Can you walk? Thanks.

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

During the day yes you can walk. Takes about 30 minutes through the Domain and Botanic Gardens (about 2km)

Gardens are closed at Sunset so you have to walk the longer way and I wouldn't suggest walking thru the Domain in the small hours.

Alternatively there is a rail station at Kings Cross... not high on my list of suggested places in the evenings

Last edited by MrsWaldo; October 19th, 2013 at 10:29 PM.

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRIER1 View Post
How did you get to the Circular Quay/Opera House etc from this hotel? Can you walk? Thanks.
Yes, I have walked lots of times. It is a lovely walk past gardens (on top of a car park), the Navy, Harry's Cafe de Wheels legendary pie cart, Art Gallery of New South Wales and through the Royal Botanical Gardens to Circular Quay.

However, there is a local bus which goes to Circular Quay and it is only a short taxi ride (with luggage). (There is also a second local bus which goes in the opposite direction to Central Station.)

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWaldo View Post
During the day yes you can walk. Takes about 30 minutes through the Domain and Botanic Gardens (about 2km)

Gardens are closed at Sunset so you have to walk the longer way and I wouldn't suggest walking thru the Domain in the small hours.

Alternatively there is a rail station at Kings Cross... not high on my list of suggested places in the evenings
I have travelled via the railway station at Kings Cross at night after the theatre many times, on my own, during the week. There are always lots of people around, so it feels safe. However, it is a different place on the weekends, so I wouldn't travel late, on my own, then. It is better to get the bus, which stops near popular upmarket restaurants. Potts Point is a wealthy area.

Old October 19th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are now looking at 1888 hotel. What is your feedback on this hotel? Thanks, again, Patti

Old October 20th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's been less than pleasant on the there for the last few weeks. They've had the sniffer dogs there even on Wednesdays.

A few of my favourite restaurants are in the area and my daughter lives quite close so we head down.

I prefer to use the bus as well but it means that I take much longer as the train can go direct.

Simpsons is in what is known as the "Paris" end of town.
1888 is on the opposite side of town. it has a very different feel as it is more corporate residential. The light rail is nearby so getting up to Central is easy. There's a ferry dock at Pyrmont as well so this is a nice way to arrive at Circular Quay
If you do stay there I might suggest Sugaroom for dinner. 10-15 mins walk and good views but none of the over inflated prices of the view restaurants at the Quay.

Last edited by MrsWaldo; October 20th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.

Old October 20th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=MrsWaldo;40379694]It's been less than pleasant on the there for the last few weeks. They've had the sniffer dogs there even on Wednesdays.

/QUOTE]

Is 1888 in Darling Harbor? What's going on with the sniffer dogs. I am between chossing Simpsons, 1888 and Meriton Apts at Pitt St, Kent or Campbell? ANy suggestions or advice? We walk everywhere. Thanks so much for this invaluable advice.

Old October 20th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sniffer dogs at Kings Cross are looking for drugs.

1888 is in Pyrmont on the other side of Darling Harbour.

I've stayed in both Meriton Campbell and Meriton Kent.

My preferred of those is Meriton Campbell and it is walkable everywhere from there. If you decide the quay is too far the green 555 buses are free.
Sydney itself is a walkable city if you don't mind a few hills or navigate sensibly.

Old October 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsWaldo View Post
Sniffer dogs at Kings Cross are looking for drugs.

1888 is in Pyrmont on the other side of Darling Harbour.

I've stayed in both Meriton Campbell and Meriton Kent.

My preferred of those is Meriton Campbell and it is walkable everywhere from there. If you decide the quay is too far the green 555 buses are free.
Sydney itself is a walkable city if you don't mind a few hills or navigate sensibly.
Thanks so much. I was leaning toward the Meriton on Campbell. I'm from NY so when I hear sniffer dogs I thinks bombs not drugs (lol).

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have just read all of the remarks on this thread, and thank all for the comments. I am arriving Sydney on the 10th of Feb and cruising on the 13th.
Thought I had accomodation tied up, but things changed, so I will be looking into the hotels you have mentioned.
I was in Sydney 6 ys ago, and loved the city - just like other cities, big and small around the world - you have to be aware of others and what is going on. Sign of the times I guess.