Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Eco & Expedition Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 25th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Editor

I'm heading out next month on International Expeditions' new Amazon boat and am happy to report back. Would love to hear any advice about expedition cruising on the Amazon. I have twice cruised the big ship route between Manaus and Rio but this will be very different!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic

Old December 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

I really want to go to the Amazon, it's my next destination..and i've been thinking for a while whether it might be easier to fly there rather than taking a cruise. Not sure which one works out cheaper in the end..could anyone shed some light?

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Editor

I believe that International Expeditions is the line that the Smithsonian uses...check out our blog for reports on IE's new ships, and the trip. Awesome

Link: cruisecritic.com/blog.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge98 View Post
J get travel info emails from the Smithsonian occasionally. About a month ago one opf their features was Amazon River cruisrs they sponser. It looked interesting, nice boat,cabins,food, all with travel guides. Try looking them up, one comment is fairly p[ricey.

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Editor

Eli90, it's hard to get there, no matter whether you take a cruise or stay at a lodge. The real question is: What do you want to see? On a cruise, you'll travel farther, have a broader experience. At a lodge, you'll live in the jungle, in one place, and day-trips will be a shorter distance.

What I liked about the cruise -- and it must be said this is a cruise website though I am at heart at independent traveler -- is that my "hotel" stayed the same but the ship moved around, and with the even smaller and more nimble skiffs, felt that we got to see more than we would've at at a resort. IMHO.

Anybody else?

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli90 View Post
I really want to go to the Amazon, it's my next destination..and i've been thinking for a while whether it might be easier to fly there rather than taking a cruise. Not sure which one works out cheaper in the end..could anyone shed some light?

Old January 15th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Would love to hear more as I am planning Galapagos and wanted to put the Aria on as a pre trip.....anything you would change or did not like?
REGENT-PAUL GAUGIN-FIJI, COOK & SOCIETY
ISLANDS - NOV 2009/DEC 2009
RCCL-OASIS-JAN 2010/FEB 2010
REGENT - NAVIGATOR-NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA
NOV 2010
CELEBRITY-ECLIPSE-EASTERN CARIBBEAN
JAN/FEB/ 2011
REGENT-VOYAGER-TURKEY & GREECE-OCTOBER 2011
REGENT- MARINER-LIMA,PERU- BUENOS AIRES
JAN/FEB 2012
CELEBRITY-SOLSTICE-WESTERN CARIBBEAN
APRIL- 2012
SEABOURN - QUEST-BARCELONA, SPAIN TO ATHENS,
GREECE - SEPT 2012
A&K - LONDON/PARIS - MAY 2013
TAUCK- SAFARI- SOUTH AFRICA, ZAMBIA &
BOTSWANA- AUG 2013
TAUCK - ISABELLA 2 - GALAPAGOS- MAY 2015

Old February 27th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazontraveler View Post
I am looking for recommendationn. I want to take a one week trip in January along the Amazon icluding rain forrest and wildlife experiences. Trying to decide whether to take a trip in either the Peruvian or the Brazilian portions of Amazon. Recommendations? suggestions? Thanks
I see that this question was posted long ago but wanted to respond, since things have changed. We just returned from a river cruise on the NEW International Expeditions river boat, La Estrella. While their old boat may have been lacking, this new one provided a wonderful way to see the Peruvian Amazon in comfort. Cabins, the dining room, and the lecture room are air-conditioned, and since the boat was generally under way in the evenings, the open-air bar/lounge/observation area on the third deck was a wonderful gathering place. The naturalist guides were fantastic, and all was organized perfectly, from our arrival in Lima through our flight to Iquitos to the week aboard La Estrella.

Please don't assume that International Expeditions is still using an out-dated, uncomfortable river boat. Our experience on La Estrella was fabulous.
Auckland to Honolulu, Celebrity Millennium, 04/09
Galapagos, Celebrity Xpedition, 06/09
Rome O&B Eastern Med, Celebrity Solstice, 10/09
Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, Celebrity Equinox, 11/09
Charleston to L.A. via Panama Canal, Celebrity Mercury, 04/10
Seattle O&B Alaska, Celebrity Millennium, 07/10
Amsterdam O&B Baltic, Celebrity Constellation, 08/10
L.A. O&B Hawaii, Golden Princess, 02/11
Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, RCI Navigator, 05/11
Reykjavik to Spitsbergen, Hurtigruten Fram, 07/11
Bayonne O&B New England and Canada Celebrity Summit, 09/11
Papeete O&B French Polynesia Ocean Princess, 01/12
Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona, Celebrity Solstice, 04/12
Southampton O&B Iceland and Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, 07/12
Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale, Celebrity Eclipse, 10-11/12
Kangerlussuaq "The Heart of Greenland" O&B, Hurtigruten Fram, 06-07/13
Iquitos, Peru O&B. Amazon Voyage, International Expeditions La Estrella Amazonica, 02/14
Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam, Celebrity Constellation, 4-5/14
Budapest to Bucharest (Danube), Viking Aegir, 5/14

Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawklady View Post
I see that this question was posted long ago but wanted to respond, since things have changed. We just returned from a river cruise on the NEW International Expeditions river boat, La Estrella. While their old boat may have been lacking, this new one provided a wonderful way to see the Peruvian Amazon in comfort. Cabins, the dining room, and the lecture room are air-conditioned, and since the boat was generally under way in the evenings, the open-air bar/lounge/observation area on the third deck was a wonderful gathering place. The naturalist guides were fantastic, and all was organized perfectly, from our arrival in Lima through our flight to Iquitos to the week aboard La Estrella.

Please don't assume that International Expeditions is still using an out-dated, uncomfortable river boat. Our experience on La Estrella was fabulous.
I was happy to read your good review on La Estrella as we just booked a cruise with them for February next year. I hope this is a good month to travel the Amazon and not too wet as I understand it will be rainy season.

Old May 27th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Editor

I can't remember if I posted the link to the actual review I wrote on the International Expeditions Amazon trip, but it's a rave -- here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/...cfm?ShipID=776

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSail2 View Post
I was happy to read your good review on La Estrella as we just booked a cruise with them for February next year. I hope this is a good month to travel the Amazon and not too wet as I understand it will be rainy season.

Old May 27th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Editor

Hi, just a heads up that Sarah Schlichter, one of our staff editors, just got back from a Galapagos trip with IE and is working on her review, slide show, etc. She loved the experience...will keep you posted when we have a link.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood jo View Post
Would love to hear more as I am planning Galapagos and wanted to put the Aria on as a pre trip.....anything you would change or did not like?

Old September 5th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was wondering what sort of vaccinations and/or medications we need for cruising the Amazon River, Peru? We'll be leaving in February of 2015. We are adding this leg to a Galapagos Island cruise.

Old September 6th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just booked Isabella 2 with Tauck for galapagos may 2015

Whatever shots like yellow fever an typhoid , from the CDC website those will carry us over for 10 years! Having been to Africa last year got us up on all of our shots! Including malaria pills as well! Don't think there is anything else we need to do! I do always sign up on step.state.gov for up to date info on whatever countries we are traveling to! So Ecuador was the only category I had to put down for this trip in May!
REGENT-PAUL GAUGIN-FIJI, COOK & SOCIETY
ISLANDS - NOV 2009/DEC 2009
RCCL-OASIS-JAN 2010/FEB 2010
REGENT - NAVIGATOR-NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA
NOV 2010
CELEBRITY-ECLIPSE-EASTERN CARIBBEAN
JAN/FEB/ 2011
REGENT-VOYAGER-TURKEY & GREECE-OCTOBER 2011
REGENT- MARINER-LIMA,PERU- BUENOS AIRES
JAN/FEB 2012
CELEBRITY-SOLSTICE-WESTERN CARIBBEAN
APRIL- 2012
SEABOURN - QUEST-BARCELONA, SPAIN TO ATHENS,
GREECE - SEPT 2012
A&K - LONDON/PARIS - MAY 2013
TAUCK- SAFARI- SOUTH AFRICA, ZAMBIA &
BOTSWANA- AUG 2013
TAUCK - ISABELLA 2 - GALAPAGOS- MAY 2015

Last edited by rosewood jo; September 6th, 2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Misspelled words

Old September 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood jo View Post
Whatever shots like yellow fever an typhoid , from the CDC website those will carry us over for 10 years! Having been to Africa last year got us up on all of our shots! Including malaria pills as well! Don't think there is anything else we need to do! I do always sign up on step.state.gov for up to date info on whatever countries we are traveling to! So Ecuador was the only category I had to put down for this trip in May!
Thanks for info. I was thinking along the same line but wasn't sure.