Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Eco & Expedition Cruising
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old October 25th, 2013, 03:53 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,962
Default

I'm heading out next month on International Expeditions' new Amazon boat and am happy to report back. Would love to hear any advice about expedition cruising on the Amazon. I have twice cruised the big ship route between Manaus and Rio but this will be very different!

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Eli90 Eli90 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: London
Posts: 15
Default

I really want to go to the Amazon, it's my next destination..and i've been thinking for a while whether it might be easier to fly there rather than taking a cruise. Not sure which one works out cheaper in the end..could anyone shed some light?
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:21 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,962
Default

I believe that International Expeditions is the line that the Smithsonian uses...check out our blog for reports on IE's new ships, and the trip. Awesome

Link: cruisecritic.com/blog.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge98 View Post
J get travel info emails from the Smithsonian occasionally. About a month ago one opf their features was Amazon River cruisrs they sponser. It looked interesting, nice boat,cabins,food, all with travel guides. Try looking them up, one comment is fairly p[ricey.
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,962
Default

Eli90, it's hard to get there, no matter whether you take a cruise or stay at a lodge. The real question is: What do you want to see? On a cruise, you'll travel farther, have a broader experience. At a lodge, you'll live in the jungle, in one place, and day-trips will be a shorter distance.

What I liked about the cruise -- and it must be said this is a cruise website though I am at heart at independent traveler -- is that my "hotel" stayed the same but the ship moved around, and with the even smaller and more nimble skiffs, felt that we got to see more than we would've at at a resort. IMHO.

Anybody else?

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli90 View Post
I really want to go to the Amazon, it's my next destination..and i've been thinking for a while whether it might be easier to fly there rather than taking a cruise. Not sure which one works out cheaper in the end..could anyone shed some light?
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:02 PM
rosewood jo's Avatar
rosewood jo rosewood jo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 69
Default

Would love to hear more as I am planning Galapagos and wanted to put the Aria on as a pre trip.....anything you would change or did not like?
__________________
SILVER SEA - SILVER SHADOW-CARIBBEAN-DEC 2007 /JAN 2008
TAUCK - BEST OF HAWAII-JULY 2008
REGENT-MARINER PANAMA CANAL - DEC 2008/JAN 09
REGENT-PAUL GAUGIN-FIJI, COOK & SOCIETY
ISLANDS - NOV 2009/DEC 2009
RCCL-OASIS-JAN 2010/FEB 2010
REGENT - NAVIGATOR-NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA
NOV 2010
CELEBRITY-ECLIPSE-EASTERN CARIBBEAN
JAN/FEB/ 2011
REGENT-VOYAGER-TURKEY & GREECE-OCTOBER 2011
REGENT- MARINER-LIMA,PERU- BUENOS AIRES
JAN/FEB 2012
CELEBRITY-SOLSTICE-WESTERN CARIBBEAN
APRIL- 2012
SEABOURN - QUEST-BARCELONA, SPAIN TO ATHENS,
GREECE - SEPT 2012
A&K - LONDON/PARIS - MAY 2013
TAUCK- SAFARI- SOUTH AFRICA, ZAMBIA &
BOTSWANA- AUG 2013
TAUCK - ISABELLA 2 - GALAPAGOS- MAY 2015

Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old February 27th, 2014, 09:16 AM
hawklady hawklady is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazontraveler View Post
I am looking for recommendationn. I want to take a one week trip in January along the Amazon icluding rain forrest and wildlife experiences. Trying to decide whether to take a trip in either the Peruvian or the Brazilian portions of Amazon. Recommendations? suggestions? Thanks
I see that this question was posted long ago but wanted to respond, since things have changed. We just returned from a river cruise on the NEW International Expeditions river boat, La Estrella. While their old boat may have been lacking, this new one provided a wonderful way to see the Peruvian Amazon in comfort. Cabins, the dining room, and the lecture room are air-conditioned, and since the boat was generally under way in the evenings, the open-air bar/lounge/observation area on the third deck was a wonderful gathering place. The naturalist guides were fantastic, and all was organized perfectly, from our arrival in Lima through our flight to Iquitos to the week aboard La Estrella.

Please don't assume that International Expeditions is still using an out-dated, uncomfortable river boat. Our experience on La Estrella was fabulous.
__________________
San Juan to Rome, Celebrity Galaxy, 04/07
Buenos Aires to Santiago, Star Princess, 01/08
Ft. Lauderdale to Harwich, Celebrity Constellation, 04/08
Auckland to Honolulu, Celebrity Millennium, 04/09
Galapagos, Celebrity Xpedition, 06/09
Rome O&B Eastern Med, Celebrity Solstice, 10/09
Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, Celebrity Equinox, 11/09
Charleston to L.A. via Panama Canal, Celebrity Mercury, 04/10
Seattle O&B Alaska, Celebrity Millennium, 07/10
Amsterdam O&B Baltic, Celebrity Constellation, 08/10
L.A. O&B Hawaii, Golden Princess, 02/11
Ft. Lauderdale to Rome, RCI Navigator, 05/11
Reykjavik to Spitsbergen, Hurtigruten Fram, 07/11
Bayonne O&B New England and Canada Celebrity Summit, 09/11
Papeete O&B French Polynesia Ocean Princess, 01/12
Ft. Lauderdale to Barcelona, Celebrity Solstice, 04/12
Southampton O&B Iceland and Fjords, Celebrity Eclipse, 07/12
Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale, Celebrity Eclipse, 10-11/12
Kangerlussuaq "The Heart of Greenland" O&B, Hurtigruten Fram, 06-07/13
Iquitos, Peru O&B. Amazon Voyage, International Expeditions La Estrella Amazonica, 02/14
Ft. Lauderdale to Amsterdam, Celebrity Constellation, 4-5/14
Budapest to Bucharest (Danube), Viking Aegir, 5/14
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old May 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
WeSail2's Avatar
WeSail2 WeSail2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawklady View Post
I see that this question was posted long ago but wanted to respond, since things have changed. We just returned from a river cruise on the NEW International Expeditions river boat, La Estrella. While their old boat may have been lacking, this new one provided a wonderful way to see the Peruvian Amazon in comfort. Cabins, the dining room, and the lecture room are air-conditioned, and since the boat was generally under way in the evenings, the open-air bar/lounge/observation area on the third deck was a wonderful gathering place. The naturalist guides were fantastic, and all was organized perfectly, from our arrival in Lima through our flight to Iquitos to the week aboard La Estrella.

Please don't assume that International Expeditions is still using an out-dated, uncomfortable river boat. Our experience on La Estrella was fabulous.
I was happy to read your good review on La Estrella as we just booked a cruise with them for February next year. I hope this is a good month to travel the Amazon and not too wet as I understand it will be rainy season.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:11 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,962
Default

I can't remember if I posted the link to the actual review I wrote on the International Expeditions Amazon trip, but it's a rave -- here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/...cfm?ShipID=776

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSail2 View Post
I was happy to read your good review on La Estrella as we just booked a cruise with them for February next year. I hope this is a good month to travel the Amazon and not too wet as I understand it will be rainy season.
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:14 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,962
Default

Hi, just a heads up that Sarah Schlichter, one of our staff editors, just got back from a Galapagos trip with IE and is working on her review, slide show, etc. She loved the experience...will keep you posted when we have a link.

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood jo View Post
Would love to hear more as I am planning Galapagos and wanted to put the Aria on as a pre trip.....anything you would change or did not like?
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old September 5th, 2014, 05:20 PM
WeSail2's Avatar
WeSail2 WeSail2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 537
Default

I was wondering what sort of vaccinations and/or medications we need for cruising the Amazon River, Peru? We'll be leaving in February of 2015. We are adding this leg to a Galapagos Island cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old September 6th, 2014, 09:26 AM
rosewood jo's Avatar
rosewood jo rosewood jo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 69
Default Just booked Isabella 2 with Tauck for galapagos may 2015

Whatever shots like yellow fever an typhoid , from the CDC website those will carry us over for 10 years! Having been to Africa last year got us up on all of our shots! Including malaria pills as well! Don't think there is anything else we need to do! I do always sign up on step.state.gov for up to date info on whatever countries we are traveling to! So Ecuador was the only category I had to put down for this trip in May!
__________________
SILVER SEA - SILVER SHADOW-CARIBBEAN-DEC 2007 /JAN 2008
TAUCK - BEST OF HAWAII-JULY 2008
REGENT-MARINER PANAMA CANAL - DEC 2008/JAN 09
REGENT-PAUL GAUGIN-FIJI, COOK & SOCIETY
ISLANDS - NOV 2009/DEC 2009
RCCL-OASIS-JAN 2010/FEB 2010
REGENT - NAVIGATOR-NEW ZEALAND & AUSTRALIA
NOV 2010
CELEBRITY-ECLIPSE-EASTERN CARIBBEAN
JAN/FEB/ 2011
REGENT-VOYAGER-TURKEY & GREECE-OCTOBER 2011
REGENT- MARINER-LIMA,PERU- BUENOS AIRES
JAN/FEB 2012
CELEBRITY-SOLSTICE-WESTERN CARIBBEAN
APRIL- 2012
SEABOURN - QUEST-BARCELONA, SPAIN TO ATHENS,
GREECE - SEPT 2012
A&K - LONDON/PARIS - MAY 2013
TAUCK- SAFARI- SOUTH AFRICA, ZAMBIA &
BOTSWANA- AUG 2013
TAUCK - ISABELLA 2 - GALAPAGOS- MAY 2015


Last edited by rosewood jo; September 6th, 2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Misspelled words
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old September 8th, 2014, 07:53 PM
WeSail2's Avatar
WeSail2 WeSail2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood jo View Post
Whatever shots like yellow fever an typhoid , from the CDC website those will carry us over for 10 years! Having been to Africa last year got us up on all of our shots! Including malaria pills as well! Don't think there is anything else we need to do! I do always sign up on step.state.gov for up to date info on whatever countries we are traveling to! So Ecuador was the only category I had to put down for this trip in May!
Thanks for info. I was thinking along the same line but wasn't sure.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.