Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old October 8th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Small Scooters

For those who cannot afford these expensive models, there is the Shoprider Echo 3. It costs around $600.00. It can be purchased in US from Walgreens Drug store. Buy online and have it delivered to the store ( no shipping charge) It weighs 70 lbs but breaks down to 4 parts and I can lift it alone that way. It fits in even a small car hatchback and some trunks. It is narrow so fits through the regular stateroom doors. As we all know the cruise lines do not have anywhere near enough accessible rooms so we have had to use reg many times. Tip: Check with the cruiseline for a stateroom with the bed next to the window, it gives much more room for the scooter in a reg stateroom!!!
One thing to check in these expensive fold up models is the type of battery. The cruiselines and airlines want gel batteries. The shoprider does not have this, but we have only had one airline check it and no cruiseline has even asked us when we get to the pier. It has a sealed non-spillable AGM type that the manufacturer will send a written letter with the approval certificate for sea and air travel from the Federal Transportation people.

Good luck.

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

The shoprider was one of the scooters we looked at, however, we really wanted the one that folds up. The batteries with the Tzora have been approved to take on the airplane, again, this was another item that I researched. It is good that there is a variety out there that meets each one's personal needs.

Darlene
Grand Princess 2012
Ruby Princess 2011
Crown Princess 2010
Ruby Princess 2009
Grand Princess 2008
Sun Princess 1983

Old October 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabookkeeper View Post
The shoprider was one of the scooters we looked at, however, we really wanted the one that folds up. The batteries with the Tzora have been approved to take on the airplane, again, this was another item that I researched.
And like the Tzora, the batteries for the Travelscoot are approved for airline travel. I've flown with both the Tzora and Travelscoot with no issues. Here is the DOT regs on flying with the Lithium Ion Batteries and the Travelscoot batteries fall within these approval regulations. http://safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

Heading out to Sea on The Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore

Last edited by nieciez; October 12th, 2013 at 11:41 AM.

Old October 24th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Update on mounting foot rests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna's Dad View Post
After much much research and trying, and a good nights sleep, I was finally able to transfer the photos of the "TravelScoot" 9" foot rest

By the way, they can be reversed.

Cato
At times during use, I found the foot rests slipping off over the end of the original rest post. I cured that by going to a auto parts store, and bought 2 rubber O-Rings, 15/16" inside diameter X 1-1/8" outside diazmeter, and slipped them on the outside of the foot rest extension.

Cato

Old October 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
At times during use, I found the foot rests slipping off over the end of the original rest post. I cured that by going to a auto parts store, and bought 2 rubber O-Rings, 15/16" inside diameter X 1-1/8" outside diazmeter, and slipped them on the outside of the foot rest extension.

Cato
We went to the store in Victoria this week to get extra belts for a cruise & we saw these larger foot rests. Hubby opted to stay with original ones but bought an awesome Healax massager! Just can't get out of that store without spending money on something!
Apr. 15/07 Panama Canal NCL Sun 18 Days
Oct. 9/07 Panama Canal NCL Sun 18 Days
Apr/08 Transatlantic Azamara Journey
May 3/08 Caribbean NCL Spirit 8 Days
Aug. 24/08 Bermuda NCL Dawn 7 Days
Nov. 16/08 Transatlantic NCL Gem 13 Days
Nov. 29/08 Bahamas NCl Gem 7 Days
Jan 3/09 S. America Mariner of the Seas 46 Days
3/09 Transatlantic Azamara Journey
Oct. 1/09 Mexican Riviera NCL Sun 11 Days
Jan 30/10-Feb. Hawaii NCL Pride of America 7 Days
May 30/10 Alaska NCL Pearl 7 Days
Sept 28 Panama Canal Holland America Zuiderdam 26 Days
May 22/11 Mediterranean NCL Epic 7 Days
Sept 22/11 South Pacific Sapphire Princess 28Days
Sept. 23/12 Vancouver to LA NCL Pearl 5 Days
Sept. 28/12 LA to Miami Panama Canal NCL Pearl 14 Days
Oct. 14/12 Ft. Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal Coral Princess 14 Days
Nov. 6/13 Istanbul to Barcelona Oceania Riviera 12 days
Feb. 24/14 Miami to Miami NCL Sun 11 days
Mar. 6/14 Miami to Miami MCL Sun 10 days

Old November 6th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Travelscoot with reverse!!

Quote:
[/color]

Apparently the reverse drive model does not go as fast, possibly only half speed.

Cato
Wow, that sounds interesting. We are just back from a cruise and my husband used his 'scoot everywhere...including Ephesus....challenging in parts! The Grand Bazaar was a breeze though! Reverse would be great at times and let me off the hook....especially for hauling him out of lifts! More importantly, the thing we are looking for is some sort of wheeled travel bag as the one that came with the Travelscoot is the standard one and jolly heavy if you have to lug the whole caboodle any distance....before you can find a trolley or such like. I remember someone mentioned some time ago about buying a large wheeled golf bag...but that was in the US somewhere at a Walmart and meanwhile downunder, here in Oz, has anyone found any equivalent?

I cannot rave too much about the huge difference the Travelscoot has made not only to our travels but at home in the shopping malls, parks, wineries etc...it is just brilliant.

Grateful for any suggestions...

Joan

Old November 6th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by joankiara View Post
More importantly, the thing we are looking for is some sort of wheeled travel bag as the one that came with the Travelscoot is the standard one and jolly heavy if you have to lug the whole caboodle any distance....before you can find a trolley or such like. I remember someone mentioned some time ago about buying a large wheeled golf bag...but that was in the US somewhere at a Walmart and meanwhile downunder, here in Oz, has anyone found any equivalent?

Grateful for any suggestions...

Joan
Hi Joan,

I too have a Travelscoot and love it. I did a search and came up with some specifics about the 'wheeled golf bag':
We purchased a hard sided*golf*bag with wheels. We took the scooter to the store to make sure it would fit. It is called*Golf*Guard and we got ours from Dick's Sporting Goods

*we bought a hard sided*golf*bag for the scooter. We took thetravelscoot*with us to the sports store where we got the bag for about 100 to 125 dollars. We took the scoot with us to make sure it would fit. If you choose to buy a hard sided bag I have found that you will be asked to open the bag so the check in agent can see it is really mobility equipment

I use a GolfGuard hard sided carrier to travel with my*travelscoot. When we went to purchase it from Dick's Sporting Goods I rode the scooter and my DH took the scooter apart and we tried it in two other bags until we found the one from GolfGuard. It did not fit in the other two carriers. I am very happy to have the hard sided carrier but also glad DH insisted on taking to scooter to the store. He has the ability to look at stuff and see how it would fit. I am useless in doing that

So we pack it in the hardsided*golf*case and check it. Pack only the medical eqpt. in there - nothing else. Tag it inside and out with your name and destination and a reach #.

We bought the one that it fit the best. For safety sake we put velcro strips around the carrier

My DH and I took my*travelscoot*to "Dick's Sporting Goods". I think but am not sure that is a nationwide store. Once there we went to the*golf*area and tried the scooter in three hard sided*golf*bags. We asked for assistance from a salesman. We bought the one that it fit the best. I cannot remember the name. I have added padding in the seat and it fits fine but I bought one I knew fit. I think it is safer in the hard sided carrier than in the canvas bag it came in. I have carried it in both and checked it through without damage to the scooter. The batteries (mine are lithium) go in the included battery bag and on to the cabin with me. I have found it easy to travel with the*travelscoot. One caution from our last plane trip, my husband put the tool kit (included with purchase) in the battery bag with the batteries and this caused a bit of concern to the TSA. In the future we will put the tools anywhere other than with the batteries.
The list above is from many different posters and although I did not discover anything more specific than "Golf Guard", a search on Amazon had many options which may indeed be delivered to Oz?!

Best of luck...
Marlee

324 nights at sea

Photos at: http://marlee-n-rich.smugmug.com/

About our avatar: Detail from "Alligator Found in Subway Sewer", Oasis of the Seas.

On the horizon:
Allure of the Seas 3.8.15 14-night B2B W/E Caribbean
Freedom of the Seas 5.24.15 7-night Western Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas 8.22.15 7-night Eastern Caribbean
Royal Princess 11.20.15 10-night Caribbean
Serenade of the Seas 3.18.16 10-night Eastern Caribbean

Previously:
Norwegian Dawn 11.7.14 14-night repositioning / Norwegian Getaway 5.24.14 7-night Eastern Caribbean / Norwegian Epic 3.9.14 14-night B2B Western Caribbean / Carnival Legend 12.15.13 7-night Caribbean / Island Princess 10.20.13 10-night Panama Canal / Jewel of the Seas 6.8.13 7-night Caribbean / Celebrity Eclipse 3.9.13 14-night Caribbean / Norwegian Dawn 12.9.12 7-night Caribbean / Coral Princess 10.14.12 14-night Panama Canal / Allure of the Seas 5.20.12 7-night Caribbean / Allure of the Seas 2.12.12 14-night B2B Caribbean / Allure of the Seas 10.16.11 14-night B2B Caribbean / Allure of the Seas 5.22.11 7-night Caribbean / Grand Princess 2.28.11 14-night Caribbean / Oasis of the Seas 12.11.10 7-night Caribbean / Freedom of the Seas 10.10.10 14-night B2B Caribbean / Golden Princess 3.14.10 14-night Hawaii / Liberty of the Seas 10.17.09 15-night B2B Caribbean / Carnival Pride 5.23.09 7-night Bahamas / Oosterdam 2.28.09 14-night Panama Canal / Westerdam 10.19.08 14-night B2B Caribbean / Caribbean Princess 6.13.08 Bermuda & E Caribbean / Constellation 2.29.08 10-night Eastern Caribbean / Zuiderdam 11.17.07 7-night Eastern Caribbean / Summit 9.14.07 14-night Alaska & West Coast / Summit 10.14.06 and 3.3.07 14-night Hawaii / Mercury 3.6.06 11-night Mexico / Seven Seas Voyager 11.21.05 7-night Western Caribbean / Seven Seas Mariner 6.15.05 7-night Alaska

Old November 7th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Golf Guard wheeled golf bag

Marlee,

Thank you so much for all the trouble you went to so I shall check up on Amazon.....in fact we have just today ordered a new Travelscoot for my husband - with reverse...yipee...but it won't be here for 4 to 6 weeks.

I really appreciate all the trouble you went to.

Best wishes
Joan

Old November 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabookkeeper View Post
Due to back problems, I am unable to stand for any length of time or walk long distances (walking the length of some of the piers is difficult for me). I do not need anything around the house or to work, however, I need one for when we cruise and travel.

We have been looking at the foldable scooters by Tzora and Rascal as options for purchase. Has anyone used either of these brands? What are the pros and cons for each?

We are finding it difficult to find a distributor for the Rascal scooter. We live in Canada, however, since we are bordering Detroit we will probably purchase it in the US.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene
Hi Darlene,

I have the same issues. Back problems and long range walking only requiring a scooter when we travel.

Check out the Travel Scoot (www.travelscoot.com). I love mine!

Sheila
"innlady1"
innlady1@gmail.com

Upcoming Cruises:
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 06/15
MS Ryndam - Western Caribbean - 02/15
MS Ryndam - Southern Caribbean - 02/15
MS Noordam - Westbound TA - 10/14 - cancelled
Past Cruises:
MS Noordam - Southern Caribbean - 02/14
MS Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - 01/14
MS Nieuw Amsterdam - Med/westbound TA B2B- 10/13
MS Ryndam - Southern & Western Caribbean B2B- 02/13
MS Veendam - Bermuda - 05/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/12
MS Maasdam - Caribbean - 01/11
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/10
MS Noordam - Caribbean B2B - 01/09
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/08
MS Noordam - Caribbean - 02/07
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 02/06

Old November 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by innlady1 View Post
Hi Darlene,

I have the same issues. Back problems and long range walking only requiring a scooter when we travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieciez View Post
Congratulations sabookkeeper on joining the Travelscoot Club! Wishing you many happy miles of scooting!
According to Post #31 sabookeeper recently purchased a Tzora not a Travelscoot.

Last edited by xxoocruiser; November 8th, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Old November 8th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by innlady1 View Post
Hi Darlene,

Thanks, but I have purchased a Tzora and I am very happy with it.
Grand Princess 2012
Ruby Princess 2011
Crown Princess 2010
Ruby Princess 2009
Grand Princess 2008
Sun Princess 1983

Old November 9th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default FDA approved scooters?

Thanks everyone for the helpful information on a scooter. My husband is in need of one and we were approved by the Dr. for a purchase. Does anyone know if a scooter is covered by Insurance? We had a salesman tell us if it is, they will only cover it if it's FDA approved. Funny, can't find any indication if approved on the portable, foldable and lightweight scooters. We leave 12/12 and must make the purchase by then. Thanks Everyone for your expert input!
Mary

Old November 9th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrefer13 View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful information on a scooter. My husband is in need of one and we were approved by the Dr. for a purchase. Does anyone know if a scooter is covered by Insurance? We had a salesman tell us if it is, they will only cover it if it's FDA approved. Funny, can't find any indication if approved on the portable, foldable and lightweight scooters. We leave 12/12 and must make the purchase by then. Thanks Everyone for your expert input!
Mary
I have no idea about insurance covering a purchase. In our state if a doctor approves the purchase you do not have to pay sales tax. Be very careful in dealing with a company that professes your health insurance will pay. I would want "proof" that includes lightweight/portable scooters before I signed anything.

Veendam - FLL to San Diego - October 2014 (17 days)
30 days on land in the "Southwest"
Amsterdam - San Diego to FLL - December 2014 (14 days)

------------------------------------------------------
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal Again - February 2014 (11 days)
Westerdam - West/East Caribbean - March 2013 (14 days)
Amsterdam - Alaska - May 2011 (14 days)
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal -Thanksgiving 2010 (10 days)
Veendam - Western Caribbean - Christmas 2006 (7 days)
Maasdam - Eastern Caribbean - Thanksgiving 2005 (10 days)
Maasdam - Southern Caribbean - Christmas & New Years 2004 (11 days)

There are good ships, and wood ships, ships that sail the sea,
but the best ships are friendships, may that always be. (Irish Proverb)

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Mary

Depends on the type of insurance and whether or not the policy covers any durable equipment. Also most insurance companies including Medicare and Medicaid require you to go through a specific approval process before actual purchase can be made. Just having an RX from your doctor does not necessarily mean the insurance company will assist in the cost.

If you're husband is on Medicare that's a whole other issue. Power Mobility Device (PMD) is covered by Medicare “only if the beneficiary has a mobility limitation that significantly impairs his/her ability to perform activities of daily living within the home. The key phrase being to perform activities of daily living within the home. If the PMD is needed in the home, the beneficiary may also use it outside the home.” However if it's only purpose is for travel and outdoors usage Medicare generally will NOT approve it regardless of what your doctor has stated.

You cannot reply on information from the salesperson as a previous poster state, In fact a national supplier of mobility scooters was recently taken to task by the U.S Federal Government for questionable practices and has now closed.

Last edited by xxoocruiser; November 10th, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Old November 11th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Mary
We were told that insurance would not cover my Pride Mobility Scooter, or, if they cover anything, it would be one of the chairs with the controls on the arm, and the insurer's choice of manufacturer. We just purchased the scooter ourselves, and it was definitely money well spent.

Old November 14th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile EV Rider

In NY, we have Independent Health. Our physician has approved a scooter for my husband's use and apparently wrote due to specific medical issues. We were going to cancel the cruise due to my husbands inability to walk until a scooter was suggested. Now, hubby is really looking forward to our December 12th cruise. The salesman told us he will "try" very hard to get the insurance company to pay 1/2, but like ya' all said, watch out! No matter, we will make the purchase, just hope we are making the right choice.
It will be wonderful to have him finally enjoy his freedom and ability to get around!

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Even if the insurance doesn't pay for it, if you have an RX from your doctor then you can take it off your taxes (in the US) under Medical Expenses if you have enough to deduct.

M,

To email me, click here.

Old November 15th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
In NY, we have Independent Health. Our physician has approved a scooter for my husband's use and apparently wrote due to specific medical issues. We were going to cancel the cruise due to my husbands inability to walk until a scooter was suggested. Now, hubby is really looking forward to our December 12th cruise. The salesman told us he will "try" very hard to get the insurance company to pay 1/2, but like ya' all said, watch out! No matter, we will make the purchase, just hope we are making the right choice.
It will be wonderful to have him finally enjoy his freedom and ability to get around!
Don't understand how the salesman can say to you that "he will "try" very hard to get the insurance company to pay 1/2" ? The insurance company and or Medicare ( if applicable) calls all the shots in this process the salesman has no influence the final decision.

I'm guessing that you probably have never contacted your insurance company to determine what if any durable medical equipment benefits you have and to find out what approved vendor you need to work with ? As stated in my previous post "most insurance companies including Medicare and Medicaid require you to go through a specific approval process before actual purchase can be made. Just having an RX from your doctor does not necessarily mean the insurance company will assist in the cost "

Last edited by xxoocruiser; November 15th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Old November 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy97 View Post
Even if the insurance doesn't pay for it, if you have an RX from your doctor then you can take it off your taxes (in the US) under Medical Expenses if you have enough to deduct.

M,
For 2013 Federal Taxes a person can only deduct that portion which exceeds 10% of their AGI ( adjusted gross income). Most people aren't aware that for 2013 the percentage is increasing to 10% from 7.5% as it was in 2012 unless Congress has a last minute change of heart.

Old November 15th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

What a process! OMGosh! For the cost of the scooter, we are going to purchase it outright. These salesmen will tell you anything and everything is wonderful until comes down to the nitty-gritty...then they change their tune! I'm thankful we had somewhere to turn for assistance, people who truly care about a person and not their pocketbook!
Leaning toward the EV rider...Again, THANK YOU !!! for caring!