Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old November 9th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esilef View Post
We also choose an aft balcony for the same reason & looked into the alarms but hubby I'd likely to sneak outside during the night & set it off.

Also got a life vest floatie he can wear.
I wouldn't bring an alarm. You will have very angry neighbors if you set it off in the middle of the night - not kosher.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI66774 View Post
I wouldn't bring an alarm. You will have very angry neighbors if you set it off in the middle of the night - not kosher.
Just what I fear!

Old November 9th, 2013, 04:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Better than a dead child. They will get over it with I am truly sorry but there is no getting over it with the child hurt or dead.

Please go ahead and add that extra level of safety in an attempt to protect your child. Not a lot of parents get second chances. Apologize if necessary for disrupting someone's beauty rest but never for taking needed steps to protect your child. Good job on thinking about it, probably better than the shark story or reality!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Last edited by Blk_Amish; November 9th, 2013 at 04:15 AM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I am a very considerate cruiser and person in general. I have recently started a thread in a different section to see what non-child cruisers find frustrating with children on cruises so that I can create some family cruise rules. Funnily enough "alarm in the night" did not crop up as something people find frustrating.

If one of my children set the alarm off, therefore allowing me to prevent them going on a balcony un-supervised then that is all that matters. I would happily apologise to anyone that it has woken and I would imagine (considering all the answers I got to my other thread) that most people will be considerate enough to understand. However I would fiercely defend my decision if any one felt the need to complain!

I am sure I am likely to get a response that if I don't trust my children not to go on it then I should book an inside room. But how am I to know if they will go on the cabin balcony or not until I try it??? I need to give them the opportunity to gain my trust, but I will do that in the safest way possible!

GOLD MEMBER (But will be Emerald after next 2 short cruises )

Past cruises.....
RCI Liberty of the Seas (April '13)- 5 night Med cruise
RCI Splendour of the Seas (Oct '05)- 5 night Med cruise
RCI Navigator of the Seas (Dec '01)- 2 week B2B Florida/Caribbean cruise (Not registered with C & A )

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sadly, kids remain at risk because at the end of the day, so many care so little about their well being. The alarm went off, meaning something went wrong. I reported on the teen drinking and young unsupervised kids I saw on my last cruise. I was told it was none of my business what other parents kids do. Now the concern is about beauty sleep... Smh!

I was not blessed with the perfect children, so when safety is involved I replace trust with vigilance. One is a legal adult, freshman in college, and I am still asking, why did you do that. I know, you should not ask kids to explain clearly dumb behavior.

Last edited by Blk_Amish; November 10th, 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

I thought the "fear of sharks" punishment was funny, but it come to "bite" you when you later want them to swim in the ocean with you on an excursion.
12/24/11 ~ Carnival Dream ~ Western Caribbean - (7 days)
07/16/11 ~ Carnival Freedom ~ Eastern Caribbean (8 days)
07/??/09 ~ Norwegian Pride of America~ Hawaii (7 days)
12/20/08 ~Carnival - Freedom ~ Southern Caribbean (8 days)
06/06/07 ~Carnival Freedom~ Mediterranean Sea (12 days)
06/18/05 ~Carnival Triumph ~ Canada (5 days)
01/??/02 ~Disney Magic ~ Western Caribbean (7 days)
06/??/01 ~Disney Wonder ~ Bahamas (4 days)
07/??/00 ~Disney Wonder ~ Bahamas (4 days)
08/28/87 ~Carnival Carnivale ~ Bahamas (3 days)

Old November 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytotravel44 View Post
I thought the "fear of sharks" punishment was funny, but it come to "bite" you when you later want them to swim in the ocean with you on an excursion.
I am done taking my kids on excursions and possible vacations. Two of the next three are couple or solo

Last edited by Blk_Amish; November 10th, 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytotravel44 View Post
Haha! That is very true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Old November 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Lol, choose your words carefully

Old November 10th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quite true about swimming in the ocean....I just have to hide the fact that I am secretly scared of going in the sea myself!!!!

GOLD MEMBER (But will be Emerald after next 2 short cruises )

Past cruises.....
RCI Liberty of the Seas (April '13)- 5 night Med cruise
RCI Splendour of the Seas (Oct '05)- 5 night Med cruise
RCI Navigator of the Seas (Dec '01)- 2 week B2B Florida/Caribbean cruise (Not registered with C & A )

Old November 10th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

My kids have my genes, so good judgement might be short coming. I learned to swim at 43 after a near drowning incident. I jumped in the pool not knowing how to swim. Yes, it was in the shallow end and I all close to 6 feet talk. I had to cancel the stress test with my cardiologist (double open heart surgeries) because I hurt my back and knee going under the limbo on my last cruise. I should only drink wine on the weekends so I got a job with long weekends.

I go with vigilance and apologizes, if need be.

Pauline

Last edited by Blk_Amish; November 10th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Old November 10th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default prominade cabin

Our grandson will be 14 mo when we cruise and we booked a prominade cabin because I thought he would enjoy looking out the window

Last edited by carbon; November 10th, 2013 at 02:50 PM.

Old January 4th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

I purchased a set of 2 door alarms. 1 for the balcony & 1 for the door into the cabin.

My son is a non verbal autistic 4 year old. I can not threaten him with sharks!

We are also placing extra locks at top of the doors ie 2 hooks with string tying the door shut. To open the doors he will need to push a chair or other furniture to the door hence blocking it opening while he unlocks the actual lock & then our own lock. If he gets through that and gets the door open the alarm will be set off..... Yep I'm booby trapping his escape. My main concert is while we sleep at night (him in between us) that he will escape

I could also duct tap the doors.....