Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What is a foodie?

I am a bit confused here. I keep hearing and reading the term foodie and I have yet to hear a good definition. I do like food, even such exotics as frog legs, sweetbreads, steak tartare, goose liver and snails. I collect cookbooks, am pretty handy in the kitchen and a couple of my concoctions have been published in newspapers and on the web. But this does not make me a gourmet or an epicure but possibly a trencherman. So the question is, is someone who merely enjoys food a foodie?

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:47 PM
10,000+ Club

Probably easiest to explain in a compare contrast set of examples.

Average person: opens a package of Generic Cheddar and a box of Ritz Crackers
Foodie: drizzles Italian Honey over goat cheese and pairs it with fresh baguette

Average person: throws a sirloin on the grill and pairs it with mashed potatoes from a box and a can of peas
Foodie: drizzles truffle infused olive oil over a prime+ cut of grass fed NY Strip before grilling it, and serves it with prosciutto wrapped steamed asparagus.

Average person: Bakes whatever fish is on sale at the local grocery store and pairs with white rice and generic salad with bottled dressing.
foodie: Pan sears sesame crusted wild caught ahi and pairs with wasabi mash and fresh baby spinach with homemade dressing.

See the difference?

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

Sometime in 2016, ship, month, and itinerary TBD

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

A foodie to me is someone who has a passion for food.
Someone who likes to try "Fusion food" and things outside the normal comfort dinners.
Someone who has the "Food Channel" on like others would have sports. Someone who know the names, Ramsey, Giada, Mario, Fiery, Morimoto, etc.
Someone who looks for food cart instead of food courts.
NCL Pearl, Pacific Coastal 9/2011 (5)
NCL Star, Pacific Coastal 9/2010 (5)+Los Angeles (5)
Golden Princess, Pacific Coastal 10/2009 (7)+Los Angeles (5)
Celebrity Century, W. Med & Malta 10/2008 (10)+Barcelona (6)
NCL Wind, Hawaii & Fanning Island 10/2005 (10)
RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Alaska 8/2000 (7)

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

You are what you eat, don't be fast, cheap, easy or fake.
And the grimed stoker feeds the engine-fires... Beneath the house-flag of the P. and O.

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion3 View Post
You are what you eat, don't be fast, cheap, easy or fake.
Eh, I agree to an extent. Tonight I'm making baked tomatoes stuffed with brown rice, quinoa, spinach, garlic, and feta. Cheap and easy, but not something ordinary or with appeal to the "make it from a box" crowd. Extremely healthy as well.

Would I call it foodie food? Actually yes, I got the recipe from the chef after having it at a Michelin starred restaurant. He typically adds chorizo as well, which I don't eat, so I omit it.

Still to come...

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
Eh, I agree to an extent. Tonight I'm making baked tomatoes stuffed with brown rice, quinoa, spinach, garlic, and feta. Cheap and easy, but not something ordinary or with appeal to the "make it from a box" crowd. Extremely healthy as well.

Would I call it foodie food? Actually yes, I got the recipe from the chef after having it at a Michelin starred restaurant. He typically adds chorizo as well, which I don't eat, so I omit it.

"making" = not fast (requires some time to produce)
"stuffed" = not easy (requires some work to produce)
"Baked" = not fast (requires someone to actually cook and of course to wait for the oven to heat)

Very few would consider that meal cheap and easy. Sounds great and healthy.

You are a foodie, Thus I stand by my statement!
And the grimed stoker feeds the engine-fires... Beneath the house-flag of the P. and O.

Old November 13th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Probably easiest to explain in a compare contrast set of examples.

Average person: opens a package of Generic Cheddar and a box of Ritz Crackers
Foodie: drizzles Italian Honey over goat cheese and pairs it with fresh baguette

Average person: throws a sirloin on the grill and pairs it with mashed potatoes from a box and a can of peas
Foodie: drizzles truffle infused olive oil over a prime+ cut of grass fed NY Strip before grilling it, and serves it with prosciutto wrapped steamed asparagus.

Average person: Bakes whatever fish is on sale at the local grocery store and pairs with white rice and generic salad with bottled dressing.
foodie: Pan sears sesame crusted wild caught ahi and pairs with wasabi mash and fresh baby spinach with homemade dressing.

See the difference?

I guess I will never make the grade. I am perfectly happy with a hunk of choice grade grain-fattened super-market porterhouse grilled to medium rare and served on a bed of arugula and shaved parmigiano reggiano. The names Ramsey, Giada and Fieri mean nothing to me but names of old-school cooking mentors such as Beard, Child, Hazan, Field, Bugialli and Pepin do. Beard, Child and Hazan are no longer with us, but I wonder if they considered themselves to be foodies.

Old November 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Default What is a foodie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion3 View Post
"making" = not fast (requires some time to produce)
"stuffed" = not easy (requires some work to produce)
"Baked" = not fast (requires someone to actually cook and of course to wait for the oven to heat)

Very few would consider that meal cheap and easy. Sounds great and healthy.

You are a foodie, Thus I stand by my statement!
Fortunately it is cheap and you would be surprised as to how simple it is. That's part of the problem, people are afraid to even try to cook anything that look like it might be complicated but is actually very simple. Tossing the stuffed tomatoes on a baking sheet and into the oven doesn't get much easier, and anyone not willing to do that I feel sorry for. They are probably poisoning their bodies with a stead stream of junk food unless they are wealthy enough to eat out at healthy restaurants in a daily basis.

I start with single ingredients for almost everything I eat. Ancient grain wraps and Greek yogurt are notable exceptions. I probably spend less on food and eat much better than most people because I am willing to do the 15 minutes of prep before cooking. That makes me sad to be honest. People don't know what they are missing!

Still to come...

Last edited by ducklite; November 13th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpi View Post
I guess I will never make the grade. I am perfectly happy with a hunk of choice grade grain-fattened super-market porterhouse grilled to medium rare and served on a bed of arugula and shaved parmigiano reggiano. The names Ramsey, Giada and Fieri mean nothing to me but names of old-school cooking mentors such as Beard, Child, Hazan, Field, Bugialli and Pepin do. Beard, Child and Hazan are no longer with us, but I wonder if they considered themselves to be foodies.
Child, maybe, maybe not. Beard, definitely. Field, yes. The new chefs, eh, especially Fieri, not so much. But the reality is that the best Chef's are not the one's in reality TV. They are too busy with their craft. Ducasse, Arzak, Keller, now THOSE are world class chefs.

By the way, until you try stepping it up a notch, don't knock it. The problem is going back.

Still to come...

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
A
Anybody putting truffle oil onto prime beef loses their foodie card in my book!

Freshly shaved truffles yes, truffle oil, no.

Agree with the rest.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:19 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
Anybody putting truffle oil onto prime beef loses their foodie card in my book!

Freshly shaved truffles yes, truffle oil, no.

Agree with the rest.
Why is that? I'm not soaking it in the oil, just spritzing a little on it an hour or so prior to grilling. Unfortunately truffles are not always available around here, and when they are I tend to prefer to reserve them for pasta dishes or Demi-glace.

Still to come...

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:38 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Why is that? I'm not soaking it in the oil, just spritzing a little on it an hour or so prior to grilling. Unfortunately truffles are not always available around here, and when they are I tend to prefer to reserve them for pasta dishes or Demi-glace.

Truffle oil is largely synthetic; fine drizzled on something like popcorn but NEVER should be used with a quality product such as prime beef. The aroma/taste of truffle is not fat soluble, so even if the oil contains real truffles (some truffle oils do not have any real truffle) - the smell and taste is from synthetic ingredients.

Here is a NYT article on truffle oil: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/di...permalink&_r=0

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Foodie" is just a modern version of "gourmet".

Sadly, a lot of foodies IME are snobs who think their way of eating makes them better than those who don't eat the same way. If you love creative cooking, then good for you...but please don't lord it over people who don't invest such importance in it, and for the love of God, please STOP posting pictures of your food!

Stella Maris 8/74; QE2 Transatlantic 7/75, 8/82, 7/00, 7/01; Fairwind 4/79; Volendam 8/80; QE2 Caribbean 1/84; Zuiderdam 2/05; Maasdam 2/07; Emerald Princess 3-4/08, Maasdam 4/12 YAY!!!

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Truffle oil is largely synthetic; fine drizzled on something like popcorn but NEVER should be used with a quality product such as prime beef. The aroma/taste of truffle is not fat soluble, so even if the oil contains real truffles (some truffle oils do not have any real truffle) - the smell and taste is from synthetic ingredients.

Here is a NYT article on truffle oil: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/di...permalink&_r=0
I beg to differ. I make my own with shaved truffle and extra virgin olive oil.

I can't wait to return for. Tahiti next year with vanilla beans, I'm going to make my own syrup and extract.

Still to come...

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:00 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post

Sadly, a lot of foodies IME are snobs who think their way of eating makes them better than those who don't eat the same way. If you love creative cooking, then good for you...but please don't lord it over people who don't invest such importance in it, and for the love of God, please STOP posting pictures of your food!
I disagree. I eat a lot of very average foods, but take them up a notch with the highest quality of ingredients available and unique combinations.

Maybe you should just stop looking at the photos of food if they annoy you so much. I love to see what my friends are creating in their kitchens.

Still to come...

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
That's as good of a description as any.

LuLu
~~~~

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:

IMHO you may want to reread your post before you refer to other people as snobs.

Completed Cruises:

Old November 15th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Lol. Interesting post from someone that is on a foodie forum. Most of us that click on this forum do so for our love for food. I love the food porn..keep it coming

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Forums mobile app

Old November 16th, 2013, 02:05 AM
10,000+ Club

Now that's how you add truffle to prime beef!

Completed Cruises:

Old November 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Now that's how you add truffle to prime beef!

Looks great and that's how I do it--when it's available.

Still to come...