Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 15th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Is Glacier Bay a sure thing in May

We are planning to go on our first and probably only Alaskan cruise next May. We were planning on going on Celebrity which went to Tracy Arm but read here that sometimes that is not possible in May. So we are switching to a cruise that visits Glacier Bay. From what I have read, it seems like Glacier Bay is a sure thing. Is that correct?

Old November 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Glacier Bay is ice-free in May, at least enough to get through the bay to a glacier for glacier viewing.

Definitely well worth your time to visit Glacier Bay vs. Tracy Arm, especially in May.

Old November 15th, 2013, 10:45 PM
20,000+ Club

It is probably the best bet for May. I am guessing the worst thing would be fog or rain.

Old November 16th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It is probably the best bet for May. I am guessing the worst thing would be fog or rain.
Actually not really the case. With glaciers, and "fog" all the cpt has to do, is get within the window of the glacier lower temps, hot air rises, full views of glaciers. Rain- being well prepared in the attire is definitely good advice. But all cruise ships have covered, lower, at least side open decks, that likely would offer wet free viewing.

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 16th, 2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl72 View Post
We are planning to go on our first and probably only Alaskan cruise next May. We were planning on going on Celebrity which went to Tracy Arm but read here that sometimes that is not possible in May. So we are switching to a cruise that visits Glacier Bay. From what I have read, it seems like Glacier Bay is a sure thing. Is that correct?
99.9999 likely. I haven't heard of any ship not being able to access in years. Reason for any nonaccess would be due to the particular ship, not Glacier Bay.

Old November 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
Actually not really the case. With glaciers, and "fog" all the cpt has to do, is get within the window of the glacier lower temps, hot air rises, full views of glaciers. Rain- being well prepared in the attire is definitely good advice. But all cruise ships have covered, lower, at least side open decks, that likely would offer wet free viewing.
I agree. They will make it, I have just spent some wet days there which was less than desirable.

Old November 16th, 2013, 09:24 AM
5,000+ Club

Keith,
Thanks for those drop dead gorgeous photos. You did have a beautiful day there; and oh how those still waters make for mirror like reflections!

See reviews and pictures of our Island Princess Alaska Cruise and Land Tour
Now Posted; Oceania Regatta - Bermuda; HAL Westerdam; Celebrity Reflection; New England/Canada; Celebrity Eclipse Baltic cruise and England land tour; Celebrity Century Hawaii cruise; Celebrity Silhouette Mediterranean Adriatic cruise; Allure of the Seas; Paris to Prague River Cruise; South America; SE Asia; Danube River Cruise; Celebrity Solstice; Alaska; Egypt; NZ/Australia; Fr. Polynesia/Marquesas; Mediterranean; British Isles/Norwegian Fjords; Panama Canal and other cruises at: Mike and Carol's Website LINK

Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Eclipse - Oct 2014 - Spain & Canaries
Celebrity Infinity - Nov 2014 - Westbound Panama Canal
Oceania Riviera - Dec 2014 - Mayan Mystique
Oceania Nautica - March 2015 - China/Japan

Old November 16th, 2013, 09:32 AM
50,000+ Club

MVPinBoynton, you are very welcome.

Keith

Old November 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl72 View Post
it seems like Glacier Bay is a sure thing. Is that correct?
We went to Alaska May and June of this year and sailed into Glacier Bay the last week in May. Here is a short video slide show I put together of the Alaskan trip and about five minutes into the video it shows Glacier Bay. The big blue ship that is shown briefly in the background is a HAL ship that was there when we arrived. http://www.tomjed.com/index.php/alaska

Tom

Old November 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow! I love the pictures and the slideshow. I definitely think Glacier Bay is going to be the way to go in May. I would hate to get all the way to Alaska and not be able to see the glaciers.

Old November 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
We went to Alaska May and June of this year and sailed into Glacier Bay the last week in May. Here is a short video slide show I put together of the Alaskan trip and about five minutes into the video it shows Glacier Bay. The big blue ship that is shown briefly in the background is a HAL ship that was there when we arrived. http://www.tomjed.com/index.php/alaska

Tom
I also wanted to say your site is amazing. I would love to someday go to all of the places you have been!

Old November 16th, 2013, 12:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post

Tom
That looks like a geat way to see Alaska. Thanks for posting.

See reviews and pictures of our Island Princess Alaska Cruise and Land Tour
Now Posted; Oceania Regatta - Bermuda; HAL Westerdam; Celebrity Reflection; New England/Canada; Celebrity Eclipse Baltic cruise and England land tour; Celebrity Century Hawaii cruise; Celebrity Silhouette Mediterranean Adriatic cruise; Allure of the Seas; Paris to Prague River Cruise; South America; SE Asia; Danube River Cruise; Celebrity Solstice; Alaska; Egypt; NZ/Australia; Fr. Polynesia/Marquesas; Mediterranean; British Isles/Norwegian Fjords; Panama Canal and other cruises at: Mike and Carol's Website LINK

Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Eclipse - Oct 2014 - Spain & Canaries
Celebrity Infinity - Nov 2014 - Westbound Panama Canal
Oceania Riviera - Dec 2014 - Mayan Mystique
Oceania Nautica - March 2015 - China/Japan

Old November 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
We had no trouble in GB on our August '12 cruise, and got to see two glaciers. However, on our September '10 cruise, fog rolled in after our first glacier viewing, and I remember looking out from the buffet thinking I could barely see past the perimeter glass (and I really hope our radar is good...).

I would say therefore fog is a small risk.
Alaska Northbound Coral Princess 9/4-11/10

Old November 17th, 2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
We had no trouble in GB on our August '12 cruise, and got to see two glaciers. However, on our September '10 cruise, fog rolled in after our first glacier viewing, and I remember looking out from the buffet thinking I could barely see past the perimeter glass (and I really hope our radar is good...).

I would say therefore fog is a small risk.
Just an option, you mention "buffet", this likely was a higher deck? Viewing likely would have been improved lower, if you had gone to the promenade lower open deck. It depends on the cpt, how close they get, but depending on the sailing, getting inside the fog window, opens up the viewing due to the "hot air rises, which is the fog. The coldness from the glacier rises it up.

Old November 21st, 2013, 11:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Those pics are amazing!

Old December 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Been to Alaska several times in May. Have made it into Glacier Bay on all the trips. One thing to add though, we could not get as close to glaciers as sailings later in the year due to the amount and sizes of the ice chunks.

I think the calving is not as common early in the year. Too cool to have anything melt off. Still beautiful, but not a lot of "action' to be seen.
RCCL 48 - days