Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old November 16th, 2013, 03:19 PM
cruzermon cruzermon is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 132
Default

It seems to me that many times foodie definitions tend to center on more upscale delights, so let me offer an alternative. I'll define a foodie as someone with a zealous appreciation of food, and by no means is restricted to upscale dining. I'm thinking the perfect steak fry, super crispy on the outside and creamy inside; nothing finer than a salted local grown freshly picked heirloom tomato. Basil, cheese, EVOO, balsamic, all optional but highly encouraged. When I visit family in Texas, I'm always seeking the best chicken fried steak and fried okra.

Many times mere simplicity and freshness of ingredients is all it takes for a foodie experience for me, as with the tomatoes or stone fruit in summer. For winter, give me a tough hunk of beef, braised for hours to create a beef burgundy or goulash, served over spatzle fried in butter, and I'm just as happy as having steak a la rossini (unless some one else is paying for the steak). I'm also in pursuit of the perfect carnitas recipe.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #22  
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:18 PM
cruising_family cruising_family is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 197
Default

I think a foodie of someone that enjoys learning about new foods and different techniques to prepare food. Trying to take a piece of meat, veggie or whatever and elevate the preparation into something unique. I don't think it's a snobbish gourmet at all. That's different type of person.

I also don't think all the chefs on TV are gourmet chefs, but I think they are foodies. Hubert Keller is one example. He is an award winning chef, cooked for presidents and was on Top Chef Masters. I wouldn't call him snobbish at all. If he were, would he use a shower in the preparation of his pasta. One of my all-time fav moments.

I consider my DH a foodie, but I just enjoy his creations.
__________________


Past Cruises
Royal Caribbean-E. Caribbean August 2013
Royal Caribbean-Alaska July 2008

Carnival Holiday-Mexico April 2005
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:25 PM
ducklite ducklite is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 9,943
Default What is a foodie?

Double post.
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia


I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.


Last edited by ducklite; November 16th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old November 16th, 2013, 05:28 PM
ducklite ducklite is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 9,943
Default

My meal of the year to date was at Hubert Keller's Fleur De Lys in San Francisco. Truly amazing and to be honest, much better than the last meal I had at one of Thomas Keeler's restaurants a few days later. I'd probably put it in my top five of all time, with the top being from an unassuming, "no name" executive chef at a small restaurant In the PNW that only locals would generally know of.


Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia


I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.

Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:22 AM
JustCruiseMe JustCruiseMe is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
"Foodie" is just a modern version of "gourmet".

Sadly, a lot of foodies IME are snobs who think their way of eating makes them better than those who don't eat the same way. If you love creative cooking, then good for you...but please don't lord it over people who don't invest such importance in it, and for the love of God, please STOP posting pictures of your food!
+1 and I know Giada, Child, Flay, Morimoto, Kerr, Flay, Florence and all the gang.

Foodie is a silly title people who like to feel they are more informed and have a more "sophisticated" palate. They really aren't they just like to think so. Chef is a person trained in food and it doesn't always mean they make or eat food that anyone else would consider divine. You can make cheese out of Yaks milk but it doesn't mean you're any more intelligent than a farmer milking their nubian and making farmers cheese. Get a grip folks.

I love oysters but I prefer them fresh out of the ocean as opposed to oysters rockerfeller. The person who prefers OR doesn't have any more "food intellect" than someone who jumps out of the boat and eats from the source. It's just different, not better, not smarter just different. Foodie sounds silly. Definition should be Foodie: Someone willing to spend money on food that tastes like crap but since it's "chic" they love all of it and it makes them soooo much smarter...haha..

Cure cancer or global warming and then one will be important, until considering yourself a foodie, well everyone is a foodie because we all eat.

No need to specifically reply because I won't be back to debate any silly "foodie".
__________________
Cruise Countdown Tickers
10-12-2013 Carnival Liberty-HMC, San Juan, St. Martin, Grand Turk
02-22-2014 Carnival Liberty-Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman

I am the cheapest most frugal person you can meet, I think, but I believe if you can afford the cruise you better be able to afford the tip, or don't go!
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old November 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Gonzo70's Avatar
Gonzo70 Gonzo70 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago by way of Boston and NOLA
Posts: 16,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCruiseMe View Post
+1 and I know Giada, Child, Flay, Morimoto, Kerr, Flay, Florence and all the gang.

Foodie is a silly title people who like to feel they are more informed and have a more "sophisticated" palate. They really aren't they just like to think so. Chef is a person trained in food and it doesn't always mean they make or eat food that anyone else would consider divine. You can make cheese out of Yaks milk but it doesn't mean you're any more intelligent than a farmer milking their nubian and making farmers cheese. Get a grip folks.

I love oysters but I prefer them fresh out of the ocean as opposed to oysters rockerfeller. The person who prefers OR doesn't have any more "food intellect" than someone who jumps out of the boat and eats from the source. It's just different, not better, not smarter just different. Foodie sounds silly. Definition should be Foodie: Someone willing to spend money on food that tastes like crap but since it's "chic" they love all of it and it makes them soooo much smarter...haha..

Cure cancer or global warming and then one will be important, until considering yourself a foodie, well everyone is a foodie because we all eat.

No need to specifically reply because I won't be back to debate any silly "foodie".
If the OP had asked for a definition of arrogance and/or narcissism, this post would be a textbook.
__________________
Upcoming Cruises:
Celebrity Xpedition - October 5, 2014 - Galapagos (Seals, Penguins and Boobies, Oh My)!

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Chitown12562's Avatar
Chitown12562 Chitown12562 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
A foodie to me is someone who has a passion for food.
Someone who likes to try "Fusion food" and things outside the normal comfort dinners.
Someone who has the "Food Channel" on like others would have sports. Someone who know the names, Ramsey, Giada, Mario, Fiery, Morimoto, etc.
Someone who looks for food cart instead of food courts.
That works for me.
__________________
2-18-2007 - My first cruise!, Norwegian Pearl
2-12-2009 - St. Valentine's Day Cruise, Norwegian Jewel
2-13-2011 - St. Valentine's Day Cruise, Celebrity Eclipse

Video of Aqua Class Cabin 1576 on the Celebrity Eclipse




Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old February 24th, 2014, 11:36 AM
lostdart1 lostdart1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: st thomas virgin islands
Posts: 126
Default

Actually what we should be defining here is a "cruise foodie"

A cruise foodie is someone who is obsessed with what the food will be on the cruise. He has found and scoured through all the ships menus for his impending cruise. He probably had already decided what he will be ordering each night in the MDR and it is still months before his cruise.

His research into each port centers around the best place to have a great "local lunch"

I am a cruise foodie....
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old February 24th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Dajbman22's Avatar
Dajbman22 Dajbman22 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 490
Default

I'm more in the Bourdain school of "foodieism". I can appreciate and understand the concept behind highly constructed and sophisticated cuisine, but I have a very low tolerance for pretense and elitism in cooking. Sometimes, the simple, rustic, cheap dish really is the tastiest. I don't quite share his obsession with offal, but in general, I support foodie culture returning its focus on just what works and tastes good, not so much what is "most luxurious" or "most refined", or hell even "most authentic". I enjoy life and enjoy exploring the world of food with an open mind and a little homework to know what to expect. To me that is much more loving of food than someone who plans trips around which molecular gastropubs you can drop the most money at.
__________________


Past Cruises:

5/2009: Norwegian Spirit - Bermuda
8/2005: Voyager of The Seas - Western Caribbean
8/2003: Serenade of The Seas - Canada & New England Inaugural Public Voyage
6/2003: Majesty of The Seas - Bahamas
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old February 24th, 2014, 02:23 PM
CB5150's Avatar
CB5150 CB5150 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducklite View Post
Probably easiest to explain in a compare contrast set of examples.

Average person: opens a package of Generic Cheddar and a box of Ritz Crackers
Foodie: drizzles Italian Honey over goat cheese and pairs it with fresh baguette

Average person: throws a sirloin on the grill and pairs it with mashed potatoes from a box and a can of peas
Foodie: drizzles truffle infused olive oil over a prime+ cut of grass fed NY Strip before grilling it, and serves it with prosciutto wrapped steamed asparagus.

Average person: Bakes whatever fish is on sale at the local grocery store and pairs with white rice and generic salad with bottled dressing.
foodie: Pan sears sesame crusted wild caught ahi and pairs with wasabi mash and fresh baby spinach with homemade dressing.

See the difference?


Autocorrect responsible for most typos...
Corrected "Foodie" comparison. Not all of us cook, but we do enjoy finer food that isn't found in a chain restaurant.

Average person: opens a package of Generic Cheddar and a box of Ritz Crackers

Foodie: Orders Italian Honey drizzled over goat cheese, paired with fresh baguette at an obscure little sidewalk cafe.

Average person: Orders a sirloin from Outback Steakhouse and pairs it with mashed potatoes from a bloomin' onion

Foodie: Goes to high end steakhouse and orders truffle infused olive oil over a prime+ cut of grass fed NY Strip served with with prosciutto wrapped steamed asparagus.

Average person: Orders whatever fish is on the menu at Red Lobster.

Foodie: May go to a restaurant and order pan seared sesame crusted wild caught ahi and pairs with wasabi mash and fresh baby spinach with homemade dressing.
__________________

...lookin' for my lost shaker of salt.

Carnival Ecstasy-Oct 2009
Carnival Conquest-Jun 2011
Carnival Magic-Jul 2012
Carnival Valor- Nov 2013
Carnival Magic- Mar 2014
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:09 PM
SardisGrandma's Avatar
SardisGrandma SardisGrandma is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 880
Default

O my goodness. I think of a foodie as someone who enjoys and appreciates different foods, cooks, and cuisines. Regardless if its fancy, simple, cheap or expensive.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Travel R Travel R is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SardisGrandma View Post
O my goodness. I think of a foodie as someone who enjoys and appreciates different foods, cooks, and cuisines. Regardless if its fancy, simple, cheap or expensive.
Although I dislike the term "foodie," I agree with your definition. However, I must also add, that the way I interpret "foodie" is while the person does not necessarily cook well themselves, they still have a passion for food.
"I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto, "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere."

~Anton Ego (Ratatouille)
__________________
Discovery Sun (DCL) - Bahamas - July 1991
Royal Majesty (MCL) - W. Carib. - March/April 1996
Empress of the Seas (RCI) - E. Carib. - Dec. 1997
Monarch of the Seas (RCI) - S. Cal. & Baja Mexico - Aug. 2003
Explorer of the Seas (RCI) - Bermuda - Oct. 2009
Legend of the Seas (RCI) - W. Med. - June 2013 - Review
Next Cruise ????????
[All Things Legend of the Seas]

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”

~ Stephen Hawking

Last edited by Travel R; February 26th, 2014 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:28 PM
whataboutport's Avatar
whataboutport whataboutport is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
Anybody putting truffle oil onto prime beef loses their foodie card in my book!

Freshly shaved truffles yes, truffle oil, no.

Agree with the rest.
Exactly what I was thinking...
__________________

Caribbean Princess--W. Caribbean, Nov 2013 Read my review!
Allure--E. Caribbean, Mar 2013 Read my review!
Monarch--Bahamas, Feb 2012
Celebrity Century--W. Caribbean, Nov 2001
Carnival--Mexican Riviera, Mar 1993
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:32 PM
whataboutport's Avatar
whataboutport whataboutport is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 1,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajbman22 View Post
I'm more in the Bourdain school of "foodieism". I can appreciate and understand the concept behind highly constructed and sophisticated cuisine, but I have a very low tolerance for pretense and elitism in cooking. Sometimes, the simple, rustic, cheap dish really is the tastiest. I don't quite share his obsession with offal, but in general, I support foodie culture returning its focus on just what works and tastes good, not so much what is "most luxurious" or "most refined", or hell even "most authentic". I enjoy life and enjoy exploring the world of food with an open mind and a little homework to know what to expect. To me that is much more loving of food than someone who plans trips around which molecular gastropubs you can drop the most money at.
I agree with you (except the offal part) and I love Bourdain. I think a foodie is just someone who loves food and is open to try new things. It's not about what is the most expensive and they don't even necessarily have to know how to cook. I don't think a foodie would turn their nose up at something just bc it smelled or looked strange. A foodie would be ready and willing to try anything new or different, esp foods from other cultures.
__________________

Caribbean Princess--W. Caribbean, Nov 2013 Read my review!
Allure--E. Caribbean, Mar 2013 Read my review!
Monarch--Bahamas, Feb 2012
Celebrity Century--W. Caribbean, Nov 2001
Carnival--Mexican Riviera, Mar 1993

Last edited by whataboutport; February 26th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:19 AM
OzKiwiJJ's Avatar
OzKiwiJJ OzKiwiJJ is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdart1 View Post
Actually what we should be defining here is a "cruise foodie"

A cruise foodie is someone who is obsessed with what the food will be on the cruise. He has found and scoured through all the ships menus for his impending cruise. He probably had already decided what he will be ordering each night in the MDR and it is still months before his cruise.

His research into each port centers around the best place to have a great "local lunch"

I am a cruise foodie....
Oops! That sounds exactly like me
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:26 AM
OzKiwiJJ's Avatar
OzKiwiJJ OzKiwiJJ is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SardisGrandma View Post
O my goodness. I think of a foodie as someone who enjoys and appreciates different foods, cooks, and cuisines. Regardless if its fancy, simple, cheap or expensive.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
And that is the perfect definition, IMHO.

Another way to put it is that foodies eat food for enjoyment rather than to just fuel their bodies.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:33 AM
OzKiwiJJ's Avatar
OzKiwiJJ OzKiwiJJ is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
Anybody putting truffle oil onto prime beef loses their foodie card in my book!

Freshly shaved truffles yes, truffle oil, no.

Agree with the rest.
Down here in Australia we get extremely good truffle oil, there are 2-3 brands that are genuinely truffle shavings in oil, no artificial flavourings. Sure, not as good as fresh truffle but those are very hard to come by here. One company also makes truffle mustard, and I add that, plus a few drops of truffle oil, to butter as a topping for steak. It's very yummy.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:04 AM
ducklite ducklite is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Near Orlando but California Dreaming
Posts: 9,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzKiwiJJ View Post
Down here in Australia we get extremely good truffle oil, there are 2-3 brands that are genuinely truffle shavings in oil, no artificial flavourings. Sure, not as good as fresh truffle but those are very hard to come by here. One company also makes truffle mustard, and I add that, plus a few drops of truffle oil, to butter as a topping for steak. It's very yummy.

Mmm, truffle mustard sounds really good.
__________________
Past Cruises...
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens

Still to come...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia


I spent three weeks in Europe with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag and never missed all the "stuff" I didn't bring. See how I did it here.

Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:37 PM
elstephanito's Avatar
elstephanito elstephanito is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 137
Default

To whoever told us to stop posting pictures of our food DON'T LISTEN! Food pics are what keep me going in between nice meals...If you don't like food pics don't look at 'em!!

I definitely consider myself a foodie. If you wanna call yourself a foodie, you are one! Hehe. No need to get nit picky about it. Food is delicious, and can be enjoyed for many different reasons. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Expensive vs. cheap, Local vs. exotic, Intricate vs. Rustic. It's all in the name of a great love of food! The non-foodies are the ones that eat to live...Foodies are the ones that LIVE to EAT!!!
__________________





2015: 7 Day Western Caribbean; Carnival Dream
2013: 7 Day Southern Caribbean; Carnival Valor
2010: 7 Day Mexican Riviera; Carnival Splendor
2004: 4 Day Bahamas; Sovereign of the Seas
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:56 PM
cirpi cirpi is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lacey. WA
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstephanito View Post
To whoever told us to stop posting pictures of our food DON'T LISTEN! Food pics are what keep me going in between nice meals...If you don't like food pics don't look at 'em!!

I definitely consider myself a foodie. If you wanna call yourself a foodie, you are one! Hehe. No need to get nit picky about it. Food is delicious, and can be enjoyed for many different reasons. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Expensive vs. cheap, Local vs. exotic, Intricate vs. Rustic. It's all in the name of a great love of food! The non-foodies are the ones that eat to live...Foodies are the ones that LIVE to EAT!!!
I suppose that if you enjoy good beer, wine and spirits, you are a drinkee.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.