Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Solo Cruisers
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Solo Cruisers Do you leave your cares -- and everyone -- behind when you cruise?
Don't Miss Cruise Critic's Best Cruises for Solo Travelers and Cruise Welcome Mat for Solo Cruisers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM
tjncanada's Avatar
tjncanada tjncanada is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCruisers View Post
Lois .... When I saw the title, I had so hoped you would reply because you have had many very good experiences cruising as a solo on Celebrity ... but had a bad experience on another cruise line so you know it can happen.

Question: Do you feel that it is not only the cruise line but also the ship & sailing that can make a difference?

Not a solo cruiser but we normally meet many while cruising since Solos are normally friendly and outgoing folks.

LuLu
~~~~
Yes, I do feel that every cruise has it's own sort of "personality" and the ship, it's crew, the itinerary, the and the time of year all affect the experience everyone has and these factors will definitely make a difference for the solo cruiser. I was traveling with a group to Alaska but I could see it being a lonely trip for a solo. My best solo experiences have been early December. The low season draws a crowd more seasoned and experienced which is generally more open to socializing with strangers.
__________________
Tom
Toronto, Canada

Caribbean Princess (S.Caribbean)
Celebrity Century (W.Caribbean, Alaska)
Celebrity Summit (S.Caribbean(x2), Bermuda)
Norwegian Pearl (W.Caribbean(x2)
Enchantment Of The Seas (Bahamas)
Celebrity Millennium (S.Caribbean)
Norwegian Epic (E.Caribbean)
Navigator Of The Seas (Bahamas/W.Caribbean)
Mariner Of The Seas (TA Rome to Galveston)
Holland America Veendam (Canada/New England)
Celebrity Constellation (W.Caribbean)
Carnival Glory (Western Caribbean)

Next:

Norwegian Jade (11 Night Western Mediterranean)
Reply With Quote

  #42  
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:07 PM
saatuk's Avatar
saatuk saatuk is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ontario
Posts: 204
Default

I'm late to the fray here, but I'll jump in anyway. In a way I understand the OP's concerns, but I think the OP has too high expectations. I've sailed solo on Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity and will be on Westerdam in a few days (8 ) and expect the same there. I don't expect any extra consideration from the CD's staff - maybe because it doesn't happen, and it doesn't. Should it happen - I don't know and don't really care. I've not been on a cruise that I haven't met lots of people and had numerous cruise friends. I talk to people, sit on bar stools, share taxis or excursions, sit at the biggest tables available, and look out for myself. I'd probably be annoyed if the staff tried to arrange things for me.

I'm happy cruising but do feel sad for people who have troubles. I hope the OP can find a good fit.
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:09 PM
elycelynne's Avatar
elycelynne elycelynne is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 1,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncom View Post
Z, just keep at it. Its hard being a single/solo. So few of us. People complain of no activities buy no one attends the ones they do hold. I went on my one and only HAL cruise.14N, Not one passenger spoke to me, anywhere. I enjoyed the" Hosted Singles Cru.ises" held by two agencies.Like minded cruisers.
Did you like both agencies equally (I assume they're the two "biggies")?
__________________
Elyce

Chandris Amerikanis - late 1970's; Carnival Festivale, NCL Norway, Carnival Tropicale - 1980's; Carnival Celebration - 1989; HAL Westerdam - 12/2009; HAL Eurodam - 2/2011; HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - 1/2012; HAL Noordam - 2/2013; HAL Noordam - 1/2014




Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:31 PM
zoncom zoncom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,226
Default Hosted solos cruises

E, Was only on one. An over 40 hosted group in Jan. by the V guys. Really enjoyed it, nice conservative group. Seems they do Celebrity in January. 2014 is Jan 12 on Solstice. Inside share is $1061, out of FLL. Says last call. Great opportunity to try Celebrity.

Last edited by zoncom; November 21st, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
elycelynne's Avatar
elycelynne elycelynne is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 1,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncom View Post
E, Was only on one. An over 40 hosted group in Jan. by the V guys. Really enjoyed it, nice conservative group. Seems they do Celebrity in January. 2014 is Jan 12 on Solstice. Inside share is $1061, out of FLL. Says last call. Great opportunity to try Celebrity.
Thanks -- That's good to know. Maybe I'll try them one day if I ever feel like having guaranteed company!
__________________
Elyce

Chandris Amerikanis - late 1970's; Carnival Festivale, NCL Norway, Carnival Tropicale - 1980's; Carnival Celebration - 1989; HAL Westerdam - 12/2009; HAL Eurodam - 2/2011; HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - 1/2012; HAL Noordam - 2/2013; HAL Noordam - 1/2014




Reply With Quote

  #46  
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:59 PM
travelnap's Avatar
travelnap travelnap is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 775
Default

Hi All, I will chip in again, as I am on my last day of a 10 day solo on HAL and unfortunately have to go back to the real world tomorrow. I have sailed on most of the lines as I stated earlier and I have enjoyed all of them. I used the ship's excursions or go off on my own if I am familiar with the port. I was treated very well on this trip and was not singled out or anything like that since I was a solo. In fact the staff bent over backwards to make me feel more welcome if anything. I was a little disappointed in a couple of the stops on this trip but I really enjoyed the others. I may have just picked the wrong excursions.

I met a lot of friendly people on this cruise, and have pretty much found that when you are friendly to others they return the favor. It still is much better than working, as I am on vacation so I am going to enjoy myself. To the OP, On your next solo, go with an open mind and just plan on enjoying the trip, and I think you will. Happy Sailing.
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old November 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
elycelynne's Avatar
elycelynne elycelynne is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 1,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnap View Post
Hi All, I will chip in again, as I am on my last day of a 10 day solo on HAL and unfortunately have to go back to the real world tomorrow. I have sailed on most of the lines as I stated earlier and I have enjoyed all of them. I used the ship's excursions or go off on my own if I am familiar with the port. I was treated very well on this trip and was not singled out or anything like that since I was a solo. In fact the staff bent over backwards to make me feel more welcome if anything. I was a little disappointed in a couple of the stops on this trip but I really enjoyed the others. I may have just picked the wrong excursions.

I met a lot of friendly people on this cruise, and have pretty much found that when you are friendly to others they return the favor. It still is much better than working, as I am on vacation so I am going to enjoy myself. To the OP, On your next solo, go with an open mind and just plan on enjoying the trip, and I think you will. Happy Sailing.
Were you on the Noordam by any chance? Your comment about being disappointed in a couple of the stops made me think that this might be the case because there's been some negative feedback about Samana.

Anyway, if it was the Noordam, did you happen to notice the name of the performer at the piano bar? I'm going to be on the 11-day itinerary at the end of January, so I'm assuming it will be the same person.
__________________
Elyce

Chandris Amerikanis - late 1970's; Carnival Festivale, NCL Norway, Carnival Tropicale - 1980's; Carnival Celebration - 1989; HAL Westerdam - 12/2009; HAL Eurodam - 2/2011; HAL Nieuw Amsterdam - 1/2012; HAL Noordam - 2/2013; HAL Noordam - 1/2014




Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM
travelnap's Avatar
travelnap travelnap is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elycelynne View Post
Were you on the Noordam by any chance? Your comment about being disappointed in a couple of the stops made me think that this might be the case because there's been some negative feedback about Samana.

Anyway, if it was the Noordam, did you happen to notice the name of the performer at the piano bar? I'm going to be on the 11-day itinerary at the end of January, so I'm assuming it will be the same person.
Yes, I was on the Noordam and Samana was one of the ports that I was a little disappointed in. As I said, I may have just picked the wrong excursion, as I spoke with some other passengers who were on different ones and they enjoyed their excursion. Our excursion was late getting back so they had to hold the ship for us. I was on one of the longer tours but I don't remember the name of it, but the people I spoke with that enjoyed their excursion were on the one that had a meal included, although I don't know the name of that one either. The A, B, C islands were very nice and while I did enjoy my excursion on Grand Turk there is not much there unless you are a beach person, and then you will love it, as it is right next to the dock.

As far as the performer at the piano bar, I can't help you out with his name so hopefully someone else will pipe in with that information. Overall it was still an enjoyable cruise though.

Last edited by travelnap; November 26th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old November 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM
kitty9 kitty9 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Moon Township, Pa
Posts: 22,064
Default

I'm a very frequent solo cruiser and have done so on many lines, including all the luxury lines and most of the mass markets. Celebrity is by far my favorite as a solo person because I feel they provide a lot of activities for every cruiser, not just the solo ones. OP, what you may not realize is, the solo cruise demographic is not huge by any means, so it's difficult to arrange solo-centric activities. Believe me, I've been to some of these so-called solo get togethers and they were ALL lame, with either no one showing up or one or two others, if you're lucky. I guess I just don't understand what you wanted Celebrity to do? Seriously, most solos don't want those contrived get togethers and just participate in the activities that are offered to all. I keep busy with trivia, cooking demonstrations, guest lecturers, reading, people watching, napping, wine tastings and all the other activities that are open to all. And, I've not seen many solo-centric activities on any line, to be honest. Not even RCI has offered much other than some silly party at a time that's totally inconvenient for almost everyone.

With all due respect, I think you were expecting too much and it's really not Celebrity's fault. There were most likely many activities that you could have gotten involved with that weren't exclusively for solos and those activities are a lot of fun. I've met some really great people playing trivia and at the wine tastings, and we've stayed friends after the cruise was over.
__________________
Darcie
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
JoePatNYCT JoePatNYCT is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC & CT
Posts: 239
Default

I just returned from a transatlantic on RCL. They organized a solo lunch in the MDR a couple of times during the cruise. It was a great way for us to make that initial introduction. We took it from there by scheduling a set dinner time for those with My Time dining-- anyone who wanted to show up could sit at the solos table (room permitting).

It worked out great-- some nights I'd dine with couples I had met, other nights I'd dine at the solos table.

I think the key is for the cruise line is to organize some way for solos to meet alone early on a cruise for them to connect (if they so choose). Having the meeting at a random bar where it's impossible to identify the solos from the others is just a waste of time.

Joe
__________________
- Silhouette 12/7/14 - Eastern Caribbean
- Quest 3/27/14 - Transatlantic
- Reflection 3/1/14 - Caribbean BTB with
- Reflection 2/25/14 - Caribbean
- Constellation 1/25/14 - Caribbean
- Silhouette 12/1/13 - Transatlantic
- Adventure of the Seas 11/4/13 - Transatlantic
- Mariner of the Seas 4/21/13 - Transatlantic
- Oasis of the Seas 1/5/13 - Western Caribbean BTB with
- Oasis of the Seas 12/29/12- Eastern Caribbean
- Navigator of the Seas 11/3/12 - Transatlantic
- Adventure of the Seas 4/15/12 - Transatlantic
- Silhouette 2/10/12 - Southern Caribbean
- Millennium 4/18/11 - Panama Canal
- Millennium 11/27/09 - Caribbean
- Constellation 7/25/09 - Baltic Sea
- Symphony 9/27/08 - Canada/New England
- Symphony 12/8/07 - Panama Canal
- Explorer of the Seas 5/25/07 - Bermuda/Carribean
- Millennium 10/29/06 - Mediterranean
- Constellation 2/25/06 - Southern Caribbean
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:43 PM
JoePatNYCT JoePatNYCT is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC & CT
Posts: 239
Default

double post
__________________
- Silhouette 12/7/14 - Eastern Caribbean
- Quest 3/27/14 - Transatlantic
- Reflection 3/1/14 - Caribbean BTB with
- Reflection 2/25/14 - Caribbean
- Constellation 1/25/14 - Caribbean
- Silhouette 12/1/13 - Transatlantic
- Adventure of the Seas 11/4/13 - Transatlantic
- Mariner of the Seas 4/21/13 - Transatlantic
- Oasis of the Seas 1/5/13 - Western Caribbean BTB with
- Oasis of the Seas 12/29/12- Eastern Caribbean
- Navigator of the Seas 11/3/12 - Transatlantic
- Adventure of the Seas 4/15/12 - Transatlantic
- Silhouette 2/10/12 - Southern Caribbean
- Millennium 4/18/11 - Panama Canal
- Millennium 11/27/09 - Caribbean
- Constellation 7/25/09 - Baltic Sea
- Symphony 9/27/08 - Canada/New England
- Symphony 12/8/07 - Panama Canal
- Explorer of the Seas 5/25/07 - Bermuda/Carribean
- Millennium 10/29/06 - Mediterranean
- Constellation 2/25/06 - Southern Caribbean

Last edited by JoePatNYCT; November 28th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:52 PM
zwho zwho is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePatNYCT View Post
I just returned from a transatlantic on RCL. They organized a solo lunch in the MDR a couple of times during the cruise. It was a great way for us to make that initial introduction. We took it from there by scheduling a set dinner time for those with My Time dining-- anyone who wanted to show up could sit at the solos table (room permitting).

It worked out great-- some nights I'd dine with couples I had met, other nights I'd dine at the solos table.

I think the key is for the cruise line is to organize some way for solos to meet alone early on a cruise for them to connect (if they so choose). Having the meeting at a random bar where it's impossible to identify the solos from the others is just a waste of time.

Joe
Finally, someone who gets it. If I wasn't an independent person I would never have gone on my own! My expectations were not overblown. I just wanted to be recognized as a sub group (which solos are) as much as kids, disabled and even couples. Just put yourself out a little . Call for a luncheon or dinner at a dedicated table for solos or singles. If no one shows up, they tried. Celebrity did nothing. Telling people to hit a bar and spend some $, is not nice, and in my case it was impossible to tell where the solos were. And I also didn't go to "meet" or make friends. I thought of it like camp. You make your besties for the time you're there, swear eternal friendship, (in modern terms that's exchange email addresses) and quickly forget about them once you're home. 12 days is a long time to be all by yourself. You guys are probably right. I'm not a solo, but I can be with very little human contact. I'm not even bragging when I say I make friends easily. I just do, but that doesn't mean I don't value alone time. I just like moderation. Being alone for that long a length of time just doesn't feel right to me.

Last edited by zwho; November 28th, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: wrong words
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old November 28th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Lois R's Avatar
Lois R Lois R is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Posts: 42,156
Default

I will make one more comment and I realize it is not agreed with by the original poster but it is my opinion...after reading the last 2 posts.....
I don't care about being recognized as a "sub group"...........
and as for cruising on my own for 12 nights? I would LOVE it!....my
longest was 10 nights on the ship with 1 night pre-cruise...that is 11.
Wish I could cruise for a month and it would feel totally right to me.

As for "getting it"? It is about different opinions......we all have them.
I get it....you want the cruiseline to set up things so you can meet
other solo cruisers.....that is something that is not important to many
of us.
__________________
Check out my Cruise Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cruiseronly/
Century 5/17/03, 1/17/04, 3/12/05, 12/20/07, 4/16/09,
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12, 11/8/14
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Upcoming...Solstice to Alaska, 5/15
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:37 PM
travelnap's Avatar
travelnap travelnap is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwho View Post
Finally, someone who gets it. If I wasn't an independent person I would never have gone on my own! My expectations were not overblown. I just wanted to be recognized as a sub group (which solos are) as much as kids, disabled and even couples. Just put yourself out a little . Call for a luncheon or dinner at a dedicated table for solos or singles. If no one shows up, they tried. Celebrity did nothing. Telling people to hit a bar and spend some $, is not nice, and in my case it was impossible to tell where the solos were. And I also didn't go to "meet" or make friends. I thought of it like camp. You make your besties for the time you're there, swear eternal friendship, (in modern terms that's exchange email addresses) and quickly forget about them once you're home. 12 days is a long time to be all by yourself. You guys are probably right. I'm not a solo, but I can be with very little human contact. I'm not even bragging when I say I make friends easily. I just do, but that doesn't mean I don't value alone time. I just like moderation. Being alone for that long a length of time just doesn't feel right to me.
I do understand where you are coming from but I have also seen cruise lines that do set up events for solos and have very few people attend the events that they set up for them. I just returned from a 10 day solo on Hal and they had a solo trivia get together every evening. I couldn't tell you if many were there because I did not go to it, because like others I enjoy travelling solo, and don't really want or expect the cruise lines to entertain me or cater to me any different than they would any other passenger.

We are all different and have different things we enjoy so it doesn't make one right and one wrong, it simply makes us different, and that is what makes the world go round. The point is, different people have different expectations, so if you did not have your expectations met, then maybe try a different cruise line rather than complain that a line is not good for solos just because you didn't care for it. I have not yet sailed on Celebrity so I don't know, but they do have some very loyal solo customers so they must be meeting their expectations. Happy Sailing
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old November 29th, 2013, 02:36 PM
zwho zwho is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 250
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnap View Post
I do understand where you are coming from but I have also seen cruise lines that do set up events for solos and have very few people attend the events that they set up for them. I just returned from a 10 day solo on Hal and they had a solo trivia get together every evening. I couldn't tell you if many were there because I did not go to it, because like others I enjoy travelling solo, and don't really want or expect the cruise lines to entertain me or cater to me any different than they would any other passenger.

We are all different and have different things we enjoy so it doesn't make one right and one wrong, it simply makes us different, and that is what makes the world go round. The point is, different people have different expectations, so if you did not have your expectations met, then maybe try a different cruise line rather than complain that a line is not good for solos just because you didn't care for it. I have not yet sailed on Celebrity so I don't know, but they do have some very loyal solo customers so they must be meeting their expectations. Happy Sailing
This is MY last post on the subject too! I realize that THIS IS MY OPINION, not everyones and from this thread, probably my minority opinion! One thing I need to say is you call it "complaining". Well, when you say you think they do a good job, because you have no expectations or want to be with others, I call that YOUR subjective opinion! When I say I expected more and think they did a bad job, that is MY subjective opinion, not a complaint. Unless you take it that way, because my opinion differs from yours. As Barbra says, "People that need people, are the luckiest people in the world." So I am sorry for you and am glad you like being alone. I got on this forum 3 yrs. ago because I liked to cruise with my Husband and he died. The encouragement I received from many people in my exact situation was so positive and none of them said, oh you will love being without a loved one or a friend. They all said if you like cruising, go, you will find people to talk with, eat with and hopefully have fun while you're on the ship. So I guess I'm really not a solo, because I like being alone, but not all the time!
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old November 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM
travelnap's Avatar
travelnap travelnap is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwho View Post
This is MY last post on the subject too! I realize that THIS IS MY OPINION, not everyones and from this thread, probably my minority opinion! One thing I need to say is you call it "complaining". Well, when you say you think they do a good job, because you have no expectations or want to be with others, I call that YOUR subjective opinion! When I say I expected more and think they did a bad job, that is MY subjective opinion, not a complaint. Unless you take it that way, because my opinion differs from yours. As Barbra says, "People that need people, are the luckiest people in the world." So I am sorry for you and am glad you like being alone. I got on this forum 3 yrs. ago because I liked to cruise with my Husband and he died. The encouragement I received from many people in my exact situation was so positive and none of them said, oh you will love being without a loved one or a friend. They all said if you like cruising, go, you will find people to talk with, eat with and hopefully have fun while you're on the ship. So I guess I'm really not a solo, because I like being alone, but not all the time!
I apologize if I offended you, that was certainly not the intention, and I am truly sorry if I brought up some sad memories for you. I know that we are all different and I wasn't judging you or anyone else. I am a very outgoing person and have never had a problem meeting people on a cruise or just about anywhere else. I sometimes forget that I have an extrovert type of personality, and not everyone is that way. I have always traveled solo, but I have never felt alone on any trip that I have ever been on, and wouldn't want to.

I have not lost a spouse as you have, and I can't imagine how difficult that was for you, so again I do apologize if I offended you or brought up some sad memories.
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Lois R's Avatar
Lois R Lois R is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL USA
Posts: 42,156
Default

Nobody meant to hurt anyone's feelings......

Neil, we are both extroverts...no need for anyone to be sorry for us......
__________________
Check out my Cruise Pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cruiseronly/
Century 5/17/03, 1/17/04, 3/12/05, 12/20/07, 4/16/09,
5/14/11, 2/12 to 2/23~2014
Mercury 3/20/04, 5/19/06, 3/18/07,
10/12/07 & 10/15/07, 9/14/08, 9/6/09
HAL Zuiderdam 9/11/04
Constellation 12/11/04
Summit 10/10/05, 1/16/10, 5/16/10, 2/5/11,
11/10/12, 8/4/13
Zenith 2/6/06, 4/13/06
Millennium 12/17/06, 1/14/12
Galaxy 3/7/08....the BIG 50 Cruise,
1/9/09
Solstice 11/14/08..Pre-Inaugural, 9/5/10
Infinity 12/3/08
Equinox 11/19/09. 5/11/12
Eclipse 11/17/10, 11/12/11
Reflection, 3nights, 12/5/12, 11/8/14
Silhouette, 4/7/13
Enchantment with FL Friends, 9/13
----------------------------------

Upcoming...Solstice to Alaska, 5/15
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:50 PM
calliopecruiser calliopecruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwho View Post
Finally, someone who gets it. If I wasn't an independent person I would never have gone on my own! My expectations were not overblown. I just wanted to be recognized as a sub group (which solos are) as much as kids, disabled and even couples. Just put yourself out a little . Call for a luncheon or dinner at a dedicated table for solos or singles. If no one shows up, they tried. Celebrity did nothing. Telling people to hit a bar and spend some $, is not nice, and in my case it was impossible to tell where the solos were. And I also didn't go to "meet" or make friends. I thought of it like camp. You make your besties for the time you're there, swear eternal friendship, (in modern terms that's exchange email addresses) and quickly forget about them once you're home. 12 days is a long time to be all by yourself. You guys are probably right. I'm not a solo, but I can be with very little human contact. I'm not even bragging when I say I make friends easily. I just do, but that doesn't mean I don't value alone time. I just like moderation. Being alone for that long a length of time just doesn't feel right to me.
LOL! I can just imagine what it would be like if they tried that for other "subgroups"......an announcement for a luncheon table for postmenopausal women or a cocktail party for men who use walkers. Or a special table in the dining room for people who have red hair.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:15 PM
kitty9 kitty9 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Moon Township, Pa
Posts: 22,064
Default

EXCUSE ME???? The disabled as a sub group??? Are you serious? I've been disabled since age 2 due to polio, and I've NEVER seen myself as a sub group in any walk of life. And, in 77 cruises, I've never seen special get togethers for the disabled, and if I had, someone with the cruise line would have gotten a severe butt kicking. Trying something like that would be insanely stupid, and totally embarrassing.

Oh, and maybe did you ever consider that there were very few solos on your cruise? That would have impacted any attempt at getting solos together.

Heck, I was on a world cruise where they had absolutely nothing for solos. But, I never felt alone during that entire time.
__________________
Darcie

Last edited by kitty9; November 29th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:08 PM
LandlockedCruiser01's Avatar
LandlockedCruiser01 LandlockedCruiser01 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago metro area
Posts: 1,137
Default

OP, while you're well within your rights to be disappointed with Celebrity, it seems like you expected them to read your mind and give you the good solo experience you wanted. The way you describe it, it doesn't sound like you were overtly mistreated, just not provided activities specifically for solos. First of all, you have to remember that cruising alone is not a socially mainstream activity. The travel industry is very much like Noah building the arky, arky; hence, all those "per person double occupancy" prices. So expect to swim against the current at least somewhat if you go on a cruise solo. Is it a good thing? No! But that's the reality we solo cruisers are given. What you should have done is find ways to make an existing situation work for you. Of course it's better when the cruise line hands you everything on a silver platter, and on a line like Celebrity, it's a fairly reasonable expectation. But when you're part of a non-mainstream demographic like solo cruisers, it's also reasonable to expect to do some legwork and self-advocating, to give yourself the best experience.

I've never sailed on Celebrity, and don't plan to in the near future (it's too quiet), but here's how I did it on Carnival. Their solo gathering was no good, either: just random people putzing around in a nightclub, and you don't know who's solo but taken, who's single, and who's with someone. But never in my life did I get any repercussions for a one-time "would you like to dance?" invite. Have you extended or accepted invites to dance with new people, even if you only know the basic steps? What about team-based activities, like trivia or cheesy how-to lessons? Did you do assigned seating, so you'll have a group of people to sit with at dinner? Also, what I found is that it doesn't matter if the person I meet is a solo or not? Don't write off someone just because they came on a cruise with someone. Heck, the people who "adopted" me on my cruises were not solos. Were you able to get "adopted" on your cruise?
__________________
2013-APR-14: Carnival Sensation
Review of this cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1833667

2012-APR-30: Carnival Imagination
Review of this cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1646620
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.