Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Problems

In my experience, wearing Speedos on a cruise can cause some fairly MAJOR problems. I've been relentlessly flirted with, been bought some VERY alcoholic drinks, wolf-whistled at, pestered for training/nutrition tips...

I mean, I've learned to deal with it, but it can be a little frightening for newbies.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 15th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think any American will care if you wear a speedo or not.

Old December 27th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

If it is me and I have the body that would look okay or good in a speedo, I would wear one. If I look repulsive in a speedo, I wouldn't wear one, not only because of embarrassing myself, but also not offending others.

Past Cruises:
Sep 2006 Carnival Elation Eastern Caribbean
Nov 2007 Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean
Nov 2008 Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean
Oct 2009 Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean
Jul 2010 Carnival Fascination Bahamas
Oct 2010 Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean
Jan 2011 NCL Jade East Mediterranean
Oct 2011 Carnival Valor Exotic Western Caribbean
Mar 2012 NCL Dawn Southern Caribbean
Aug 2012 Carnival Imagination Bahamas
Aug 2012 Carnival Imagination West Caribbean
Oct 2012 Carnival Liberty West Caribbean
Feb 2013 NCL Sky Bahamas
Feb 2013 NCL Epic Eastern Caribbean
Oct 2013 Carnival Imagination Eastern Caribbean
Oct 2013 Carnival Breeze East Caribbean

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

For what i just saw on my last cruise 2 weeks ago you shoudnt be embarrassed. There were several middle aged women that were well over 300 lbs wearing 2 peice bikinis and walking around like there is nothing wrong with it... It was so bad that the stomach flab hung over so far that you couldnt tell if they had any bottoms on.... Is that a good description for ya?

Why they make 2 peice suits on that size, I dont know... I have a speedo body, 6-3 155 with a toned up body.

Thats Carnival cruise lines for you.... LOL.

Old December 27th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet8395 View Post
For what i just saw on my last cruise 2 weeks ago you shoudnt be embarrassed. There were several middle aged women that were well over 300 lbs wearing 2 peice bikinis and walking around like there is nothing wrong with it... It was so bad that the stomach flab hung over so far that you couldnt tell if they had any bottoms on.... Is that a good description for ya?

Why they make 2 peice suits on that size, I dont know... I have a speedo body, 6-3 155 with a toned up body.

I saw a guy about 25 years ago who was easily that fat(even more so)We were in an ice cream parlor & he walked in. No shirt, just this tiny speedo(more like a thong, actually)Nowhere near any body of water. I'm sorry, but I went into hysterics & had to walk out. I never could see his reason. The manager made him leave to at least put on a shirt,which he never did.

Old December 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by samshltn View Post
In my experience, wearing Speedos on a cruise can cause some fairly MAJOR problems. I've been relentlessly flirted with, been bought some VERY alcoholic drinks, wolf-whistled at, pestered for training/nutrition tips...

I mean, I've learned to deal with it, but it can be a little frightening for newbies.
If your icon is any indication, that's just what happens when you're too cute!

Old December 28th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

I used to be a skinny (but defined) twink. Those days are long gone. But the BF still enjoys seeing me in a speedo and I enjoy wearing them. To all the rest - take more dramamine

Old January 5th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Of course! Wear a speedo and enjoy yourself.
February 2012 - Azamara Journey, Rio de Janeiro-Buenos Aries
June 2011 - NCL Jade, Venice & Greek Isles
February 2010 - Azamara Quest, Hong Kong-Singapore
April 2009 - NCL Star, Mexican Riviera (RSVP)
April 1988 - Premier Cruises, Star/Ship Royale, Bahamas

Follow me on Twitter @coyconnoisseur

Old January 11th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

As always this topic raises a lot of discussion and still mystifies me. I'm straight and 62. I have worn Speedos since I was a young stud naval officer. With kids who were constantly 'embarrassed, that their dad wore Speedos even to the neighborhood pool. About 8 years ago I was hit with Type 2 diabetes and my weight soared. Speedos were out sadly. Over the last six months I lost over 80 pounds, have been back in the gym and no longer on meds.... We have a cruise coming in March. The Speedos are out of the storage box, even got a couple of new pairs.

I very well will be the only man on the cruise, on the ship and at Half Moon Cay, in Speedos; but so be it. We are sailing with some friends who will surely kid me, but they will certainly also celebrate with me my health turnaround.

I like the feel and the look of Speedos. Notice I did not say, OTHERS, MY KIDS like the feel and look. Nor do I take that as the determinant of whether I will wear them.

Dennis

Old January 11th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Its funny how society will allow women of any body type to wear 2 piece or bikinis at any public place, beach, pool, cruise, whatever. And as soon as a guy wears a speedo, even young in shape guys (to which they dont at least from the USA), it becomes a major issue and people say "you shouldnt wear that on a public beach due to women and kids". Its no differant then women in bikinis, expecially the out of shape ones.

I wear Speedos, been wearing them for very long time. I saw a comment on here that I read that someone was complaining about someone was going to wear a speedo at a public beach where his kid and wife will be at... SO WHAT.. Its made for swimming.. GET OVER IT PEOPLE...

What bothers me about this person, is he is married with a kid yet he hangs out on the Gay forums on CC..... That I see a problem...

To close this comment, I will continue to wear them as long as I still have my 6-3, 160lb tanned, smooth toned up body.... LOL.

Old January 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have you heard of the search function on message boards. One does not need to hang out on any board. You will also receive alerts that a post on a relevant topic of interest has been posted.

Old January 13th, 2014, 12:09 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleherdl View Post
As always this topic raises a lot of discussion and still mystifies me. I'm straight and 62. I have worn Speedos since I was a young stud naval officer. With kids who were constantly 'embarrassed, that their dad wore Speedos even to the neighborhood pool. About 8 years ago I was hit with Type 2 diabetes and my weight soared. Speedos were out sadly. Over the last six months I lost over 80 pounds, have been back in the gym and no longer on meds.... We have a cruise coming in March. The Speedos are out of the storage box, even got a couple of new pairs.

I very well will be the only man on the cruise, on the ship and at Half Moon Cay, in Speedos; but so be it. We are sailing with some friends who will surely kid me, but they will certainly also celebrate with me my health turnaround.

I like the feel and the look of Speedos. Notice I did not say, OTHERS, MY KIDS like the feel and look. Nor do I take that as the determinant of whether I will wear them.

Dennis
This is mainly a US problem. The Aussies, Brazilians and others see no problem here. Men wear what we in the US call speedo swim suits no matter the body shape. Personally I have no problem with any male wearing speedo. As for children, they are embarassed by their parents many times for many different reasons. It is part of growing up! For my part we need to ban wearing what appears to be too short pants (aka board shorts) on a growing teenager in a pool as they are dirt carriers.

RCCL: Rhapsody, 2003; Voyageur, 2008, 2009; Adventure, 2008; Navigator 2013; Mariner 2010, 2011
Holland America: Veendam, 2006
Princess: Grand 2005, 2006; Ruby 2010; Island 2011, 2013; Emerald 2012, 2015; Golden 2012, 2015; Crown 2013; Caribbean 2013, 2014; Royal 2014; Star 2014
Carnival: Elation 2005; Magic 2012
May 2014 Diving trip to Cozumel
castigat ridendo mores

Old January 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always wear speedo style swimwear, I want to get a decent sun tan & long shorts won't help with that. Speedos also dry far quicker after swimming than shorts do. I'm in my fifties & whilst slim I know I don't have a perfect body, but I'm not covering up just because a few people will tut at my form.
2011 - Independence Of The Seas
2011 - Adventure Of The Seas
2012 - Crown Princess
2012 - Serenade Of The Seas

Old January 25th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have to say anyone Gay or Str8 can feel free to post on this subject and I applaud you for losing the weight and getting back into your speedo. I have just lost 102 pounds, down to 199, would love to wear a speedo, but have to do lots of toning up first (hard to do with a 70 yr old well used body, omg did I say that)

Anyway, I say "speedo away" and don't let ANYONE sway your choices in wardrobe.

AAero

Old January 26th, 2014, 07:21 PM
5,000+ Club

AAerobear Congratulations!!

That is a great accomplishment.

Mike

EMAIL

Old January 27th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks,

Still have 30 more to go, but will make it in a few months. But still love to see all the men who choose to wear Speedos..

ED

Old February 10th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet8395 View Post

That is quite the visual However, if you want and can were one; great. I swam for years on a competitive team and it was standard then. These days, as much as I would "like" to wear one, it's just not going to happen. Ahhhhhh, middle age
Carnival, Inspiration -09/05
Royal Caribbean, Mariner-05/06
Celebrity, Century-01/07
Princess, Crown-04/07
Carnival, Liberty-11/07
Royal Caribbean, Explorer-08/08
Oceania, Insignia-11/08
Carnival, Destiny-07/09
Royal Caribbean, Mariner-10/09 (Atlantis)
Royal Caribbean, Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Royal Caribbean, Monarch-03/10
Royal Caribbean, Monarch-07/10
Celebrity, Equinox-08/10 (Atlantis)
Royal Caribbean, Freedom-02/2012
Regent Seven Seas; Mariner- 10/12
Royal Caribbean, Jewel-12/12
Royal Caribbean, Jewel-12/12 b2b
Royal Caribbean, Independence-12/13
Royal Caribbean, Enchantment- 01/14

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always wear a speedo, and see no reason to not wear on board a ship, nearly all the men I have seen on the beach in Miami over the several years I have been visiting Straight or Gay have worn Speedos and some even less!!!!
So IMO I for one shall continue to wear one on my first Cruise in Nov to the Caribbean, after all there is no difference between my wearing a speedo and a woman wearing some skimpy hanky and passing that off as a Bikini!!!

Old February 20th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Even the most incredibly sexy bodies don't look good in speedos. Trunks are so much better and leave a little something to the imagination. So in my very humble opinion...not to speedo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

NCL Gem April 18, 2013
Enchantment of the Seas March 17, 2008
Carnival Victory Feb 18, 2007
Imperial Majesty (So awful I blocked it all out)
Carnival Ecstasy Aug 22, 1994

Old February 22nd, 2014, 02:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wear what you are comfortable in. I like a square cut trunk and feel comfortable in it, usually. This time not because I have put on weight. However, my partner wears speedo style because he is very fit. He is also latino and most people assume we are european. No one ever looks and if they do they are typically polite enough not to make us uncomfortable. We have even fallen asleep with our arms around each other on a lounger and never felt uncomfortable. We also live in SF and pretty much ignore anyone who would make us feel that way too... LOL

Closed Thread