Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:35 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinIllinois View Post
Just curious as to what more you would add for entertainment.

When I sailed there was BMG, Cirque, Legends, Howl at the Moon, Second City, Band on the pool deck during the day, duo in the Atrium, piano player at one of the bars, guitar player down by Maltings, major sports events on the two story Atrium TV, comedian/magician in the theatre, Fat Cats, dinner band in the Manhattan Room.

Not being snarky I just can't quite wrap my mind around the "non existent" comments.
Personally, I thought the entertainment was good, especially BMG and the comedy shows. But I have one question, who is Katy Perry and how in the hell does she rate as a "Legend"????

Carnival Jubilee (5/Western) - Dec 00
Carnival Triumph (7/Eastern) - Dec 01
Carnival Fantasy (3/Bahamas) - Oct 03
RCCL Mariner OTS (7/Western) - Jan 05
HAL Veendam (7/Western) - Apr 06
RCCL Mariner OTS (7/Eastern) - May 08
Emerald Princess (7/Western) - Jul 10
Carnival Liberty (7/Western) - Jun 11
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) (2/Atlantic) - Aug 12
Carnival Glory (7/Western) - Apr 13
Carnival Liberty (7/Eastern) - Jun 13
NCL Epic (7/Eastern) - Nov 13
Carnival Ecstasy (5/Bahamas) - Dec 13
NCL Sun (7/Western) - Nov 14

Upcoming:

Carnival Sunshine (8/Southern) - Mar 15
NCL Sun (14/Alaska) - Jun 15
RCCL Independence OTS (5/Western) - Nov 15

Unofficial Piano Bar Back-up Singer!

Old January 5th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to sea! View Post
Personally, I thought the entertainment was good, especially BMG and the comedy shows. But I have one question, who is Katy Perry and how in the hell does she rate as a "Legend"????
I agree about the legends... some of the choices are not 'such' legends.

NCL Norwegian Epic April 2012 (East Transatlantic)

NCL Norwegian Star April 2013 (East Transatlantic)

NCL Norwegian EPIC April 2014 (East Transatlantic)

Old January 7th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsty_r View Post
I agree about the legends... some of the choices are not 'such' legends.
It's called "Legends" because "People Somebody in your Family has heard about" wouldn't fit on the marquee.

• 2015 Apr - Norwegian Star (Transatlantic - Miami to Copenhagen)
  • 2014 Dec - Norwegian Pearl (Miami to Southern Caribbean)
  • 2014 Apr - Norwegian Epic (Transatlantic - Miami to Barcelona)
  • 2013 Dec - Norwegian Jewel (Miami to Western Caribbean)
  • 2013 Apr - Norwegian Breakaway (Transatlantic - Southampton to NYC)
  • 2012 Dec - Norwegian Epic (Miami to the Eastern Caribbean)
  • 2011 Dec - Norwegian Pearl (Miami to the Western Caribbean)
  • 2010 Dec - Norwegian Dawn (Miami to the Southern Caribbean)
  • 2009 Dec - Norwegian Spirit (New Orleans to the Western Caribbean)

Old January 9th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Had a great time on the Epic! Don't worry about past reviews.

I posted a reply earlier in this thread before my cruise on the Epic basically telling everyone to take the negative complaints with a grain of salt. Now that I am back from my Christmas cruise on the Epic I can confidentially say that I did not encounter any of the problems posted in previous reviews. As a matter of fact my whole family had a great time. The Epic is a great cruise for people that like a lot of stimulation, lots of things to do, lots of people and energy. If you want something more relaxing, private and quiet you might want to choose another cruise ship.

My family and I arrived at the port around 12:00 PM. Getting on the ship was quick and easy and took less than 15 minutes. It took me more time to park the car. When we arrived we were directed to the Garden Café Buffet. I took the advice from a previous poster on this thread and went to O’Sheehans Pub and Grill instead. Great tip because it was not crowed, we got to sit and we ordered lunch. Mostly comfort foods, all hot and arrived quickly.
For the rest of my review I will separated by category.

Cabin – My wife and I stayed in a Large Balcony cabin 12238, category B6. The balcony was large, the room nice. Yes, the bathrooms were a bit weird but never a deal breaker. Bed was firm but comfortable. Room was clean. Water we took from the mini bar was replaced daily. Room steward was efficient and friendly. This cabin was close to the elevators so the location was great. We had towel animals in our room every day. I only mention this because one of the complaints was that they never received a towel animal.

Elevators – Never had to wait for an elevator as mentioned in previous posts. We had a full ship 4100+ passengers.

Garden Buffet (Free) – Great buffet always with plenty of selection. I found the food to be hot and tasty. Food did change every night. Salad station, Deli Station, Crepe Station, Omelet Station, Pizza and Pasta Station, Desert Station, Asian, Indian, Latin food stations, and hamburger and hotdog station every night plus a station featuring the night’s specialty foods that changed every night. There were only two times the buffet was too crowed. First day for lunch when everybody got on the boat and breakfast the day we got off the boat. The rest of the time I could get food with no wait. I have seen several complaints about the selection on the buffet, I really believe these folks went to the Great Outdoor buffet only and not the Garden Cafe. The outdoor grill serves the same thing every day hamburgers and hot dogs but, The Garden Cafe has a fresh new menu every day.

Manhattan and Taste dining rooms (Free) – The food was good in the dining rooms. I was only disappointed with one meal, it was a ribeye steak. But it’s a cruise…just send it back and get something else. All the other meals were good. Service was good. Our family usually met for dinner at 6:30 PM and we never had a wait to get into the restaurant.

Moderno (Paid Extra) – Food was great, Service was great and it was a great dining experience. I would highly recommend paying extra for this restaurant.

Wasabi (Paid Extra) – Great sushi and very inexpensive. $2 - $3 for sushi can’t be beat!

Spiegel Tent Cirque Dreams & Dinner (Paid for premium seating) – Food was good, show was great. Definitely upgrade to premium for a better view.

O’Sheehans (Free) – This is the only restaurant open late. Full menu during day, limited menu late night and early morning. Great place to have breakfast and lunch. Watch for special menus. One night they served prime rib another night shepherd’s pie. On Sunday they set up a buffet for all the football fans watching the game on the giant TV screen I especially like the strawberry pound cake with whipped cream. For all you northeasterners you can order a chocolate egg cream here.

Room Service (Free before midnight) – My wife and I only used room service for Coffee. It arrived in a timely fashion and was hot.

Bingo (Cost to play)– Played Bingo once, thought the cost was too high for the prizes. Just not my thing but thought I would try it.

Deal or No Deal (Cost to play) – Loved playing this onboard. Lots of fun to play would definitely recommend.

Plenty of other games to play onboard but did not participate. (Free)

Blueman Group (Free) – Great show…Do not miss!!!!

Second City Comedy (Free) – Very funny, went to 4 shows during our cruise.

Comedy Magician (Free) – Great for kids….but I have seen it all before. Not grand illusions. Basic magic, rope trick, linking rings, things you could see at any kids party. The close up magic is the best, that is the show you should see.

Legends in concert (Free) – Did not see. They are featuring Elvis, Katy Perry and Steven Tyler impersonators. Since I would not pay to see any of these real stars why would I go see the fake stars?

Howl at the Moon (Free) – Lots fun, two piano players taking requests. Sing along, party atmosphere.

Tips –

1) Go to O’Sheehans instead of the buffet when you first arrive on the ship.

2) Make all reservations for shows ahead of time.

3) It is a big ship so getting a cabin by the elevators will save a lot of walking time

4) To get around the ship just remember that Red means you are on the even side of the ship. Red carpet, red lights on elevators means even. Blue carpet, blue lights on elevators means you are on the odd cabin side of the ship.

I left out the ports because this is mainly about the ship. I loved it and had no problems on my cruise. There were a lot of people but I never had to wait that long for anything. I found the service and food to be good to great. Entertainment was great. I would happily recommend the Epic to anyone!!!

Old January 9th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you for the update!

We are leaving Sat. on Epic so I was very glad to read your review! I am so glad you had a great time! Can not wait to get to the ship now!

Old January 11th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ended up booking another Carnival cruise. Couldn't get past the bad Epic reviews and the goofy staterooms. Also no pizza place. May try the breakaway next year.
CARNIVAL MIRACLE SEPT 2012
CARNIVAL GLORY MARCH 2012
CARNIVAL DREAM OCT 2010
CARNIVAL LIBERTY OCT 2009
RCL LIBERTY OF THE SEAS DEC 2008

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteroffl View Post
I will be sailing on Epic Dec 21st with my wife and two children ... ... I will try to write a review when I return.
Hi scooteroff!
How was your cruise going?

Looking forward to reading your review.

Michael
via Tapatalk. sorry for typo.

Reviews :
Norwegian Epic - Trans Atlantic, April 2014
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2014
Celebrity Solstice - Australia/New Zealand, March 2013
Crystal Symphony - Grand Mediterranean, April 2012

Roll calls :
Mariner of the Seas - Spice of SE Asia, 6 February 2015
Crystal Symphony - Autumn Inspiration, 27 September 2015

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandaindonesia View Post
Hi scooteroff!
How was your cruise going?

Looking forward to reading your review.

Michael
via Tapatalk. sorry for typo.
look a couple posts before you, His review is right above your post asking how things were"

PAST CRUISES:
Norwegian (NCL): 12/2013 Pearl, 10/2013 Epic (West Med & TA, 24 days), 5/2013 (Pac Coast & AK), 2/2013 Sun, 11/2012 Epic, 7/2012 Star, 2/2012 Epic, 4/2011 Dawn, 11/2010 EPIC ,4/2010 Dawn, 1/2010 Pearl, 11/2009 Spirit, 3/2009 Majesty, 9/2008 Sky, 1/2005 Sun, 1998-2001 Leeward (many, many times 10+), Mid 1990’s Seaward/Sea, Dreamward/Dream, 1993 NCL Norway,
CARNIVAL: 9/2013 Victory, 10/2006 Imagination, 9/2000 Imagination, 10/1999 Ecstasy, 3/1999 Sensation, 7/1998 Carnival Destiny, 7/1997 Imagination, 3/1994 Jubilee, 7/1992 Carnival Fantasy, 4/1992 Carnivale
RCL: 10/2014 Granduer of the Seas, 7/2010 Oasis Of The Seas, 11/2001 Monarch Of The Seas, 8/1994 Sovereign Of The Seas
OTHERS I’VE DONE: 7/1999 Princess Grand (Grand Med), Celebrity Horizon, SS Independence (Hawaii Cruise), Dolphin Cruise Line (Seabreeze)

Old January 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmess View Post
look a couple posts before you, His review is right above your post asking how things were"
thank you, Debbie!

And my apologies, scooteroff!
Happy to read that you have enjoyed the Epic. I'm next!

Reviews :
Norwegian Epic - Trans Atlantic, April 2014
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, April 2014
Celebrity Solstice - Australia/New Zealand, March 2013
Crystal Symphony - Grand Mediterranean, April 2012

Roll calls :
Mariner of the Seas - Spice of SE Asia, 6 February 2015
Crystal Symphony - Autumn Inspiration, 27 September 2015

Old January 11th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Geegitz View Post
Ended up booking another Carnival cruise. Couldn't get past the bad Epic reviews and the goofy staterooms. Also no pizza place. May try the breakaway next year.
There's lots of pizza places - Pizza is always available in the buffet (and i'm cheeky and often ask the chef to make me a special one with custom ingredients if none take my fancy), there used to be pizza on the menu in the Italian restaurant and there's a 24/7 pizza delivery service.. Lots of pizza.

Hope you enjoy your carnival cruise though.

NCL Norwegian Epic April 2012 (East Transatlantic)

NCL Norwegian Star April 2013 (East Transatlantic)

NCL Norwegian EPIC April 2014 (East Transatlantic)

Old January 12th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsty_r View Post
There's lots of pizza places - Pizza is always available in the buffet (and i'm cheeky and often ask the chef to make me a special one with custom ingredients if none take my fancy), there used to be pizza on the menu in the Italian restaurant and there's a 24/7 pizza delivery service.. Lots of pizza.

Hope you enjoy your carnival cruise though.
There are a couple of problems with access to pizza. The pizza on the buffet was good but there are many hours when the buffet is not open. The do have pizza in the Italian Restaurant (La Cucina) but you have to pay the specialty restaurant price to get access to it. Never tried the pizza delivery as the only options available was Cheese, Pepperoni, and Veggie........that's it. So, when you can get access to pizza, it's good, it's just the access that's hard.

Carnival Jubilee (5/Western) - Dec 00
Carnival Triumph (7/Eastern) - Dec 01
Carnival Fantasy (3/Bahamas) - Oct 03
RCCL Mariner OTS (7/Western) - Jan 05
HAL Veendam (7/Western) - Apr 06
RCCL Mariner OTS (7/Eastern) - May 08
Emerald Princess (7/Western) - Jul 10
Carnival Liberty (7/Western) - Jun 11
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) (2/Atlantic) - Aug 12
Carnival Glory (7/Western) - Apr 13
Carnival Liberty (7/Eastern) - Jun 13
NCL Epic (7/Eastern) - Nov 13
Carnival Ecstasy (5/Bahamas) - Dec 13
NCL Sun (7/Western) - Nov 14

Upcoming:

Carnival Sunshine (8/Southern) - Mar 15
NCL Sun (14/Alaska) - Jun 15
RCCL Independence OTS (5/Western) - Nov 15

Unofficial Piano Bar Back-up Singer!

Old January 12th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Buffet Pizza?!!! YUCK. Gotta have a pizza place on a cruise ship.
CARNIVAL DREAM OCT 2010

Old January 12th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

RCI has a great pizza place. And the pizza kiosk on Carnival is good.
CARNIVAL DREAM OCT 2010

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
RCI has a great pizza place. And the pizza kiosk on Carnival is good.
I thought sorrentos on royal was plain not good. terrible, the worst. ncl's pizza is rather tasty. NCL doesn't need a pizza place because they have a 24 hour eatery with real food. plus I can order a large pizza for $5 to be delivered anywhere on the ship 24 hours a day. you cant get a large pizza ANYWHERE for $5 land or sea.

BON VOYAGE...
Carnival Triumph May 2003
Princess Star October 2005
Norwegian Pearl January 2012
Norwegian Epic December 2012
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas January 2013
Norwegian Breakaway September 2013
Norwegian Epic December 2013
Norwegian Epic January 2014
Norwegian Getaway April 2014 ** Birthday Cruise**
MSC Divina May 2014 *The party continues*

COMING UP
MSC Divina October 2014
Norwegian Getaway December 2014 *THE Ultimate Getaway*

Norwegian Epic January 2015 *A Family Affair*

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default just off Epic 1/11...my thoughts

had a great cruise. please don't let ANYONE'S negative review keep you from booking or enjoying your cruise on the Epic

ignore the reviews that say the food is cold.....the biggest misconception ever told on this site. ..I dined in Manhattan, taste, buffet, o'sheehans. cagneys, moderno, le bistro, la cucina. the service was very attentive In each restaurant. so even IF I thought something that wasn't as 'hot' as I would like it they would have taken it away immediately and replaced it. service was that good. so if anybody says that there food was cold, I have to doubt them because the wait staff would not allow them to eat it 'cold'.. so you got to weed out the bullshyt on this site.

the crowds,...yep 4000 plus people, you saw it...but why would you complain, I knew it was 4000 plus people when I booked this ship. you only noticed when we had rain days...or when the shows let out.

Steven Johnson the hotel director was so visible all over the ship. Always stopping to talk to me and my family asking if all was going ok and if I was enjoying my cruise. He was great! So if I had an issue I would have bought it to his attention. but my week went smoothly so I had no issues to report. however I did meet others who did:shrugs: so I directed them to who to contact to have there problems resolved.

I will agree that if you want to see the shows either make them in advance or make it day one. I waited to late to book the cirque dinner show and it was sold out. that was my fault.

the desserts were amazing to yummy in the buffet and in the restaurants.

the staff and crew that I encountered were very friendly and always smiling and saying hello. Richard has been promoted to cruise director now, he was great...it was well deserved.

if you are drinkers, I will say you need to find a good bartender. some pour heavy and some pour light....I will say my 2 favorites are the casino bar and malting's. Goose at malting's makes some fabulous drinks and is a fun bartender.

also they have new blues band in fat cats! you must check him out!!!! GREAT!GREAT!GREAT!

I hope this helps. I had a problem free cruise but I understand everyone one will not. but its best to get it handled while you are on the cruise than come back here on CC and complain about without giving the ncl ship staff a chance to fix it.you paid too much money to have an unsatisfactory vacation so why would you wait.

the roll calls are invaluable in the fact that you will have the opportunity to meet the executive staff. you have the contact numbers, sometimes you have to go to the top to get results. Steven (hotel director) wants to fix it believe me.

also, on the guest services deck there is a box called Dear Steven..where you can write him a letter, positive or negative. trust me they read it. so utilize that if you have to.

Enjoy your epic vacation!!!

BON VOYAGE...
Carnival Triumph May 2003
Princess Star October 2005
Norwegian Pearl January 2012
Norwegian Epic December 2012
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas January 2013
Norwegian Breakaway September 2013
Norwegian Epic December 2013
Norwegian Epic January 2014
Norwegian Getaway April 2014 ** Birthday Cruise**
MSC Divina May 2014 *The party continues*

COMING UP
MSC Divina October 2014
Norwegian Getaway December 2014 *THE Ultimate Getaway*

Norwegian Epic January 2015 *A Family Affair*

Last edited by tiffygirl; January 12th, 2014 at 01:46 PM.

Old January 12th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Buffet Pizza?!!! YUCK. Gotta have a pizza place on a cruise ship.
I was surprised by how good the buffet pizza was. It was always hot and fresh and lots of choices.
The jerk chicken, pineapple pizza was great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Carnival Ecstasy May 1993 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic Feb 2009 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic Nov 2010 Western Caribbean
Carnival Breeze June 2012 Mediterranean
Norwegian Epic Dec 2013 Eastern Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas March 2014 Western Caribbean

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Tiffygirl, thank you for your comments. I was very excited to see your mention of a new blues band in Fat Cats. One of the reasons I wanted to go on the Epic originally (we booked almost a year ago) was to see Slam Allen. When he left, they had the Charlie Love band, but then it seemed the venue was used for karaoke and different duos. Can you tell us a little bit more about the new band?

Last edited by MBMGWM; January 12th, 2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wanted to correct "jazz" band to "blues" band

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
That's a shame. I think you would have enjoyed it. We have been on her twice, and my daughter just talked us into booking a 3rd - for Thanksgiving

MV Atlantic (Home Lines) 4/84 - Bermuda
Majesty of the Seas 4/23/95 - Western Carib.
Caribbean Princess 3/12/05 - Eastern Carib.
Grandeur of the Seas - 4/13/06 - Western Carib.
Rhapsody of the Seas - 8/13/06 - Western Carib.
Caribbean Princess - 4/8/07 - Eastern Carib.
Majesty of the Seas - 10/24/08 - Bahamas
Norwegian Sky - 5/22/09 - Bahamas
Carnival Freedom - 12/26/09 - Western Carib. (NEVER again!)
Norwegian Sky - 12/20/10 - Bahamas
Norwegian Epic - 4/7/12 - Eastern Carib.
Norwegian Epic - 3/30/13 - Eastern Carib.
Norwegian Getaway - 4/12/14 - Eastern Carib.

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffygirl View Post

also they have new blues band in fat cats! you must check him out!!!! GREAT!GREAT!GREAT!
OMG, OMG, OMG, this is absolutely fabulous news!!!! I'd heard rumors that Fat Cats did not have an act anymore. So happy to hear that this has been changed. Thanks for the update. And thanks too for the review too.

...If you allow yourself to settle for less than you deserve, that's exactly what you'll get

Old January 12th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMGWM View Post
Tiffygirl, thank you for your comments. I was very excited to see your mention of a new blues band in Fat Cats. One of the reasons I wanted to go on the Epic originally (we booked almost a year ago) was to see Slam Allen. When he left, they had the Charlie Love band, but then it seemed the venue was used for karaoke and different duos. Can you tell us a little bit more about the new band?
Ooops, should have continued to read ... but I was so excited that I jumped the gun

I'd love to hear more about the new band too, Tiffygirl.

...If you allow yourself to settle for less than you deserve, that's exactly what you'll get