Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 5th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sailing downunder, need help

Question re a trip from Auz to NZ - hope not to get booted off this page - tried to question on the correct site, but did not get an answer yet - travelling to Aus this sat - I know it is hot there now - but, what about NZ when we travel around there on Voyageur??
And for those of you that have been? do we get off the ship at Dusky/Doubtful or Milford, or, are they just sail in close to beautiful shoreline??

Old February 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hope you have a great cruise! We will be on Radiance on the 14th. I have been looking at temps for a few weeks and going 10 days out (which must be taken with a grain of sand). In New Zealand (Picton, Wellington, Akaroa and Dunedin), the low temps have ranged from 47-59 F and the highs have ranged between 57-79 F. I assume wind chills will be colder, especially on the water.
Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska (8/2001); Rhapsody of the Seas - Caribbean (8/2002); Norwegian Wind - Hawaii (8/2004); Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean (6/2005); Vision of the Seas - Mexico (3/2006); Jewel of the Seas - British Isles/Fjords (6/2006); Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas (3/2007); Deilmann's Chopin - Berlin to Prague (10/2007); Adventure of the Seas - S. Caribbean (3/2008); Explorer of the Seas - New England/CAN (7/2008); Mariner of the Seas - Mexico (3/2009); Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean (4/2011); Disney Dream - Bahamas (2/2012); Voyager of the Seas - W. Caribbean (3/2012); Vision of the Seas - Baltics (7/2012); Vision of the Seas - So. Caribbean (12/2012); Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean (3/2013); Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas (8/2013); Enchantment of the Seas - Bahamas (1/2014); Radiance of the Seas - Australia/New Zealand (2/2014); Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean (8/2014); Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean (11/2014); Quantum of the Seas - So. Caribbean (12/2014); Explorer of the Seas - Spain & Med Beaches (06/2015); Brilliance - Cozumel (03/2016)

Old February 5th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nanwell

Hi,

I hope you enjoy your time "downunder". Having previously lived in NZ, I can tell you that no matter what the temp is predicted to be, be prepared for cold/chilly weather. If you get a wind from the south, it will be cold!

There is normally one shore excursion in the Milford Sound where some people get on/off (depends which way round NZ the ship is going) and involves being off the ship overnight via Queenstown. For everyone else it is just very scenic cruising.

Phill

Voyager of the Seas Pacific Sojurn
New Year 2013

Voyager of the Seas New Zealand
Xmas/New Year 2012

Radiance of the Seas Repositioning Cruise Syd - Vancouver, April 2012

Old February 5th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you! - Did not want to pack only "summer" clothes and then need warmer stuff or freeze!
Have to do some suitcase re arranging!

Old February 5th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

It will be cooler in the south than in the north because both countries are in the southern hemisphere. February is Australia and NZ's midsummer period but temperatures in Auckland recently were in the low 20s Centigrade according to friends who live there.
Marco Polo - December 2011
P&O Azura - Eastern Caribbean - December 2011
Thomson Dream - Mediterranean Medley - May 2012
P&O Arcadia - Norwegian Fjords & North Cape - May/June 2013
P&O Azura - Central Mediterranean - October 2013
Royal Caribbean - Brilliance of the Seas - Scandinavia and Russia - July 2014

Old February 5th, 2014, 09:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Yes, you will need something warmer as well - layers are good i.e. a jacket, so you can take it off when you get some sun.

Old February 5th, 2014, 09:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Cruising through the Sounds was very chilly!!!! We were maybe there in Oct.? Gorgeous scenery but you do not get off.
We did the whole cruise around AU and it was hot and also cooler, so I would bring some layered things to wear.
It was an awesome cruise, have a great time!!!!

Old February 6th, 2014, 04:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

we did our NZ cruise in the month of February.
on our cruise, we did not get off the ship. it was scenic cruising for the day.
this day was the highlight of our trip!
was aware that it can be cool-cold when in the sounds so went prepared with thick jackets and scarves.
this allowed us to be up and about on the deck as we enjoyed the magnificent scenery of the sounds.

Celebrity Century - Alaska May 2014
Diamond Princess - Tasmania (Australia) December 2013
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific February 2012
Sun Princess - New Zealand February 2011

Old February 7th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexlass2 View Post
It will be cooler in the south than in the north because both countries are in the southern hemisphere. February is Australia and NZ's midsummer period but temperatures in Auckland recently were in the low 20s Centigrade according to friends who live there.
Then that means it's in the low 70's Fahrenheit, which sounds very nice to me. But, having been in NZ in February a couple of times, I know that it can also get cold, so it is best to pack a light jacket.