Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > St. Thomas/St. John

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 10th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default St. Thomas snorkel excursion time for Trunk Bay?

Hi everyone,
We're going on RCI Jewel of the Seas on the 15th and had a quick question. We were interested in STM9- Adventure Snorkel with Turtles and Stingrays in St. Thomas. Its supposed to be 3 h 30 minutes. Would that leave us time to take the ferry/taxi over to Trunk Bay too? We'd love to do both. If there isn't enought time, would you recommend the excursion or just go to Trunk Bay and snorkel there?
Thanks so very much! We're so excited

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Trunk Bay

It will be almost impossible to do both trips. Trunk Bay snorkling is fantastic but it going to take a taxi over to Red Hook, a ferry ride to St John, a open truck type taxi to Trunk Bay beach and reverse the trip back. We have been to St Thomas many times and seen turtles but never sting rays on our excursions, good luck.

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calijcab23 View Post
Hi everyone,
We're going on RCI Jewel of the Seas on the 15th and had a quick question. We were interested in STM9- Adventure Snorkel with Turtles and Stingrays in St. Thomas. Its supposed to be 3 h 30 minutes. Would that leave us time to take the ferry/taxi over to Trunk Bay too? We'd love to do both. If there isn't enought time, would you recommend the excursion or just go to Trunk Bay and snorkel there?
If I were you you I would book the ferry to St Johns and go straight to Trunk Bay. It is the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. They have snorkeling trails there too. I would book the ferry through rcl. I was the last one back on the ship.

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Just keep in mind that if you are going to take the ferry over to St John's it leaves on the hour(at least it was that way when I was there) so if you get to the ferry dock at 10:05 you will have just missed it and will have to wait til 11 for the next one and the same thing coming back.

I have done both snorkeling in St Thomas and ferry to St John to go to Trunk Bay. Both are great but I think too much to do both in one day.

Old February 10th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calijcab23 View Post
Hi everyone,
We did St. Johns and Trunk Bay last month for the first time. It is such a gorgeous island that we did not want to leave. We felt rushed as it was seeing what we wanted to see in St. Johns. I would absolutely skip the STM9 tour and go straight to St. Johns for the day.

Independence of the Seas - March 9, 2014
Celebrity Summit - December 28, 2013
Oasis of the Seas - March 9, 2013
Liberty of the Seas - March 12, 2012
Carnival Valor - March 13, 2011
Norwegian Spirit - March 10, 2007
Norwegian Sun - March 8, 2003

Old February 11th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi calijcab23, welcome to Cruise Critic!

Personally, I would just book a St. John shore excursion thru the ship and enjoy this lovely island. I fell in love with St. John back in the 70s, having spent three weeks there. Btw, you will find much info on the St. Thomas/St. John Ports of Call board here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133. You are in for an unforgettable day! p.s. You've chosen a beautiful ship, we love her sister ships Radiance and Serenade.
11/09 RC Radiance of the Seas (Baja),10/07 Crown Princess (Canada/New England), 06/04 RC Serenade of the Seas (Alaska), 12/01 Radisson Paul Gauguin (South Pacific), 11/01 RC Viking Serenade (Baja), 10/01 RC Radiance of the Seas (Pacific NW), 12/00 RC Voyager of the Seas (w. Caribbean), 12/99 Radisson Paul Gauguin (South Pacific), 12/96 RC Grandeur of the Seas (Bahamas), 11/95 Celebrity Horizon (s. Caribbean), 09/95 HAL Statendam (Alaska), 04/95 Majesty Royal Majesty (w.Caribbean), 03/95 NCL Windward (s. Caribbean)

Last edited by jmf123; February 11th, 2014 at 12:16 AM.

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Everyone must see Trunk Bay once in their life! It is better to not have to rush. Just enjoy the moment.

Old February 11th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Another one here to head straight to Trunk Bay. It's stunning, as is the whole island. You'll have a great time snorkeling there.

Azamara Quest trip report here - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966387

Deirdre

Old February 13th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Agreed...take the St John self explore tour through RCI. Cost is almost the same and much less hassle than trying to catch a taxi and ferry. You will get on the boat that takes you to St John 30 feet from the Cruise ship. (depending on where your boat docs)

Old February 19th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We went to St. John when we were staying on St. Thomas and spent the whole day there. Could have stayed much longer! You'd really be rushed if you tried to do both.

2014-April 11 night HAL

2004, 2005-Disney - Caribbean
2004, 2006, 2009, 2013-Carnival - Baja and Caribbean
2007-Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas-Alaska
2008, 2010, 2011,2012-Holland America - Baja & Caribbean
2009-Norwegian Pearl-Alaska