Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Eco & Expedition Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 20th, 2014, 11:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Post Mexican Bird Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABirder View Post
hvbaskey, a list maybe?
Will start off with Mexico (as I still have to enter Costa Rica and Panama into eBird.

Cabo San Lucas (with Guide, Maria Elena Muriel)

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16285938

Puerto Vallarta (with Guide, Alejandro Martinez)

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16286147

When I enter the other two ports, will share the lists

Heather

Celebrity Infinity - South America "Cape Crusaders"
December 20, 2014

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Past Capers:

Celebrity Century - Panama Canal Birding Sensation!
December 21, 2013

Carnival Pride, Mexico - "Love Boat Route" - Jan 2005

Old January 20th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Post Bird List from Colon, Panama

Bird list from our Port of Call - Colon, Panama. We birded Gatun Locks, Gatun Spillway (Dam) and then the majority of the day in Achiote (San Lorenzo National Forest). eBird took all the entries, except 1 - it did not have the Western Slaty Antshrike in the database

Gonzalo Horna was found via "birding pal" and he was really great!

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16446843

Heather

December 20, 2014

Past Capers:

December 21, 2013

Old January 21st, 2014, 10:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Post Birding in Puerto Vallarta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvbaskey;41366728

Puerto Vallarta (with Guide, Alejandro Martinez)

[URL
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S16286147[/url]

Heather
One of my favourites from Puerto Vallarta:

http://ponyshots.smugmug.com/Travel/...C_0971_2-L.jpg

Heather

December 20, 2014

Past Capers:

December 21, 2013

Last edited by hvbaskey; January 21st, 2014 at 10:55 AM.

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Port Falmouth Jamaica

I'm back to Jamaica in 2 wks and have hired Wendy Lee again to bird Cockpit Country. She tells me there are two of us on the Independence booked with her that day. So, Bruce if you are out there lurking, I'll see you on the 12th.

Cinda

Old February 14th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Through the Panama Canal

Birding through the Panama Canal – Azamara Quest, Jan 5-17, 2014. Miami to San Jose, CR
Stayed overnight at the Hampton Inn a couple miles from the airport, and up early for the vultures, kestrel ,starlings, Blue Jay, grackle, Mourning Dv, Ring Billed Gull in the field behind the hotel. Laughing/Ringbill/Herringl gulls off the ship, Royal Tern, Double crested and Neotropic Cormorants both, soaring Black Vultures.
Nothing across the water, until we got about 30 miles offshore from Cartagena, when the Brown and Masked Boobies started riding the air currents around the ship and diving on injured /stunned fish.
Cartagena: hook a ride on one of the shuttles to the visitor center behind the Duty Free at the end of the dock, or walk it – a good quarter mile on the hot concrete. There is a couple of acres of woods behind, a beer stand out front for when you get dehydrated birding, and internet access – 5 bucks for 2 hours. The woods had 3kinds of parrots, grackles, some kind of chicken sized Tinnamou?, brown throated parakeet flock, keel-billed toucans, Macaws, some kind of sparrow sized bird I never got a good look at, a flock of flamingos with a Double Stripe Thickknee hanging around. Last time I had a spotted Woodpecker pair to watch. There’s a cage of off limits birds – this time a Ring necked Pheasant, a few Black bellied Whistling Ducks, more thickknees, and a great orange bird that I forget…. Bring a couple of rolls from breakfast to use for bait – they put out some fruit for the toucans and parrots. Peer under the bushes. Develop a rhythm – go through the woods slowly, have a 2 dollar beer in a shady chair facing your bait, then repeat. A couple of hours of this, and you’ll be good. Down by the water, you’ll generally see mangrove swallows and some swifts.
Panama Canal: both vultures and Frigate Birds, Brown Pelicans, some parakeets, Great tail grackles, half a dozen swallows (Mangrove, Purple Martins, Gray, Rough winged). Snowy Egret, great blue heron, Black crowned night heron, little blue heron, 8 white pelicans soaring over Gatun Lake, some kind of medium hawk hovering, a yellow head Caracara, and a lot of pigeons with not one single dove in there. Saw all of these hanging over the rail (veranda room). In Panama City: another Yell Caracara, social flycatcher, boat bill flycatcher, tropical kingbird, reddish egret, both pelicans, frigates soaring, both vultures, grackles, Laughing Gulls. Had some King Vultures last time….
Golfrito: not bad birding. Up early and got flycatchers and swallows off the balcony, a couple of egrets, one lonely flyby of a big Ringed Kingfisher, and the usual grackles and doves. Walked down to the end of the pier, through the fence, and up the road a hundred yards to a two tracks going to the left down to a creek. The creek had Black Vultures and another Yell Caracara picking up scraps. I scared up a Bare necked Tiger Heron next to the road at a distance of 15 feet, had a variated Seedeater perched on the fence, and was passed several times by Cherie’s Tanagers flying around. Heard several birds in the bushes, but no luck pishing, etc.
Quepos: tour of Manuel Antonio Park with knowledgeable guides. Saw the camo frogs, a hummingbird nest with 2 young, a Buff-Throated Saltator, a Pygmy Kingfisher near the pond, then when we were having a little snack, I looked up and a Hoffman’s Woodpecker landed on a dead palm stump. Not bad…. All the official guides are college grads and pretty good – the official tours will bring a spotting scope.

Old August 27th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I are going to St. Martin for a week in October and are wondering if anyone knows of a birding guide who would be willing to bird with us for a day?

Thanks to anyone who can give us suggestions.

Connie

Last edited by Ann Lundby; August 27th, 2014 at 08:50 AM.

Old August 27th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ann,

http://www.birdingpal.org/StMaartenMartin.htm

Here's a start. Couldn't find more -- but there is one birdingpal (volunteer) contact who might be able to either take you out him/herself, or tell you about other resources available on the island.

Cheers!
April

Old August 28th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by agru View Post
Ann,

http://www.birdingpal.org/StMaartenMartin.htm

Here's a start. Couldn't find more -- but there is one birdingpal (volunteer) contact who might be able to either take you out him/herself, or tell you about other resources available on the island.

Cheers!
April
Thanks April, we'll follow up on this right away.

Connie