Chase Sapphire credit card trip cancellation trip insurance question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

california
488 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I have a question. I hope few of you may be able to answer me. I have a Chase Sapphire credit card. I always buy my cruise with that card. I also always buy cruise care from the cruise line. Today I happen to talk to an agent from the credit card company and she mentioned to me that I always have the insurance from Chase credit card when I buy my cruise, air line, hotel... from them. If I'm unable to make my trip from a medical reason they will pay. If this is true than I don't need to buy cruise care or any other trip cancellation insurance. My question is any of you who has this credit card is it true? Has any of you needed to use it? How does it work?
Thanks so much in advanced for all the information.
Merion, Pennsylvania
57,781 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by esper10
I have a question. I hope few of you may be able to answer me. I have a Chase Sapphire credit card. I always buy my cruise with that card. I also always buy cruise care from the cruise line. Today I happen to talk to an agent from the credit card company and she mentioned to me that I always have the insurance from Chase credit card when I buy my cruise, air line, hotel... from them. If I'm unable to make my trip from a medical reason they will pay. If this is true than I don't need to buy cruise care or any other trip cancellation insurance. My question is any of you who has this credit card is it true? Has any of you needed to use it? How does it work?
I have no experience with your card, but that is not the only thing that travel insurance covers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Email me!

I have cruised on:

Princess: Crown Princess, Sapphire Princess
Celebrity: Summit, Equinox
Royal Caribbean: Anthem, Quantum, Allure, Oasis, Harmony, Independence, Liberty, Freedom, Mariner, Navigator, Explorer, Voyager, Jewel, Serenade, Radiance, Enchantment, Grandeur, Legend, Rhapsody, Majesty, Monarch, Sovereign

Register for your Meet & Mingle here: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/ccEntry.do
Middle of the Sahara Desert
11,389 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Cruise care insurance might have "Cancel for any reason " , which doesn't require a medical certificate.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past
1,404 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
We have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Recently received the GUIDE TO BENEFITS(effective 11/01/13). Pg. 12-21 cover the TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE and TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE provisions. Suggest you read the extent of coverage. If you need the booklet or for questions, contact 1-888-320-9961.
Central Illinois
107,547 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
Originally posted by Kamloops50
Cruise care insurance might have "Cancel for any reason " , which doesn't require a medical certificate.
Correct, CruiseCare gives a 75% credit towards a future cruise if the cruise is cancelled for a non-covered reason.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
california
488 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
I will read the guide. Few months ago we had to loose an air line tickets due to illnes but lost the money. I did not know about this insurance. May be I could have got my money back with doctor's letter.
Hubbard, OH USA
6,292 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Read the paperwork, then call Chase and ask them any questions you may have. That would be best as opposed to asking people what they "think" might be done.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Debbie -- 386 nights of sailing!
Spending my kids inheritance 1 cruise at a time
Working on my "bucket list" 1 port at a time!

UPCOMING CRUISES:

Royal Caribbean Mariner (4 nights 11-6-17 Asia)
Celebrity Millennium (14 nights 11-12-17 Asia)
Celebrity Sillhouette (9 nights 1-26-18)
Celebrity Eclipse (14 nights 2-4-18)

RC Anthem (9 nights 8-23-8 to Canada)

Celebrity Solstice (12 nights 1-31-19 OZ to NZ)
RC Explorer (14 nights 2-15-19 South Pacific)

PAST CRUISE HISTORY: (45 cruises completed!)
Celebrity-Infinity (Carnaval in Rio! 1-31-16), Solstice (OZ & NZ 1-27-15), Millennium (Western) 2-6-12, Eclipse 1-26-13 (Southern 14 nites), Equinox (Mardi Gras 2-20-17) (56 nights sailed)
HAL Ryndam (Hawaii & Tahiti 30 day) 1-4-09, Westerdam (Eastern) 10-29-06 (37 nights sailed)
RCCL - Serenade (Southern 2-3-17), Oasis (Western 9-10-16) Serenade (Southern 2-15-16), Rhapsody (Queensland 2-17-15), Legend (Southern 2-3-14) Legend (Eastern 1-24-14), Independence (Western 2-10-13), Explorer (Bermuda 10-28-12) Serenade (Southern) 1-28-12 Allure (Western) 10-9-11, Oasis (Western) 10-1-11, Liberty (Western) 2-5-,11, Liberty (Western) 2-7-10, Navigator (Western) 1-30-10,Navigator (Western) 1-25-10, Jewel (Panama) 11-7-08, Enchantment (Western) 9-1-08, Radiance (Hawaii) 5-3-08, Enchantment (Western) 1-26-08 B2B, Enchantment (Western) 1-21-08 B2B, Mariner (Eastern) 9-2-07, Freedom (Western) 9-10-06, Empress (Western) 9-3-05, Navigator (Western) 5-14-05, Jewel (Eastern) 1-29-05, Majesty (Bahamas) 3-1-04, Explorer (Western) 5-10-03, (198 nights sailed)
Norwegian - Pearl (Southern) 3-2-07 Dawn (Repo) 11-1-09 NCL Pearl (Western) 10-10-10, Jewel (Western) 10-13-13 Dawn (Repo) 11-7-14, Dawn (repo) 10-30-15 (65 nights sailed)
Princess - Grand Princess (Southern) 2-11-12 Caribbean Princess (Eastern) 4-29-06 (14 nights sailed)
Carnival - Sensation (Western) 5-10-04, Holiday (Western) 4-19-04, Destiny (Southern) 4-6-03 (17 nights sailed)
Norwalk, OH
40 Posts
Joined May 2010
I had the same question and after reading through the benefits guide realized that although cancellation coverage is included, you're on your own if you get sick or injured and need to be evacuated from the ship. This can be extremely costly, so I went to insuremytrip.com and got a policy that provides medical/evacuation coverage. It only cost about $27 for both my husband and myself and fills in gaps our normal medical insurance wouldn't cover while traveling outside the United States.
california
488 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Originally posted by Shera1028
I had the same question and after reading through the benefits guide realized that although cancellation coverage is included, you're on your own if you get sick or injured and need to be evacuated from the ship. This can be extremely costly, so I went to insuremytrip.com and got a policy that provides medical/evacuation coverage. It only cost about $27 for both my husband and myself and fills in gaps our normal medical insurance wouldn't cover while traveling outside the United States.
I always worry that once you need the insurance to come thru this is when you find out all the issues. I always buy it from the cruise line but I don't want to "double up". I will check the insuremytrip.com thanks much