Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old March 5th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Chase Sapphire credit card trip cancellation trip insurance question

I have a question. I hope few of you may be able to answer me. I have a Chase Sapphire credit card. I always buy my cruise with that card. I also always buy cruise care from the cruise line. Today I happen to talk to an agent from the credit card company and she mentioned to me that I always have the insurance from Chase credit card when I buy my cruise, air line, hotel... from them. If I'm unable to make my trip from a medical reason they will pay. If this is true than I don't need to buy cruise care or any other trip cancellation insurance. My question is any of you who has this credit card is it true? Has any of you needed to use it? How does it work?
Thanks so much in advanced for all the information.

Old March 5th, 2014, 07:14 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by esper10 View Post
I have a question. I hope few of you may be able to answer me. I have a Chase Sapphire credit card. I always buy my cruise with that card. I also always buy cruise care from the cruise line. Today I happen to talk to an agent from the credit card company and she mentioned to me that I always have the insurance from Chase credit card when I buy my cruise, air line, hotel... from them. If I'm unable to make my trip from a medical reason they will pay. If this is true than I don't need to buy cruise care or any other trip cancellation insurance. My question is any of you who has this credit card is it true? Has any of you needed to use it? How does it work?
I have no experience with your card, but that is not the only thing that travel insurance covers.

I have cruised on:

Princess: Crown Princess, Sapphire Princess
Celebrity: Summit
Royal Caribbean: Allure, Oasis, Independence, Liberty, Freedom, Mariner, Navigator, Explorer, Voyager, Jewel, Serenade, Enchantment, Grandeur, Majesty, Monarch, Sovereign

Old March 5th, 2014, 07:50 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

Quote:
Cruise care insurance might have "Cancel for any reason " , which doesn't require a medical certificate.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
California Coastal Crown Sept 2014
Princess 11x HAL 3x RCI 2x
Pacific Coastal April 21,2015

Alaska Sampler May 2015

Alaska Northbound August 19,2015

Alaska Southbound August 26,2015

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We have the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. Recently received the GUIDE TO BENEFITS(effective 11/01/13). Pg. 12-21 cover the TRIP CANCELLATION INSURANCE and TRIP INTERRUPTION INSURANCE provisions. Suggest you read the extent of coverage. If you need the booklet or for questions, contact 1-888-320-9961.

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops50 View Post
Cruise care insurance might have "Cancel for any reason " , which doesn't require a medical certificate.
Correct, CruiseCare gives a 75% credit towards a future cruise if the cruise is cancelled for a non-covered reason.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Last edited by clarea; March 5th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I will read the guide. Few months ago we had to loose an air line tickets due to illnes but lost the money. I did not know about this insurance. May be I could have got my money back with doctor's letter.

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:45 PM
5,000+ Club

Read the paperwork, then call Chase and ask them any questions you may have. That would be best as opposed to asking people what they "think" might be done.

UPCOMING CRUISES
NCL Dawn (Boston repo to NO-14 nights) 11-7-14
Celebrity Solstice (Sydney to NZ 12 nights) 1-27-15
9 nights on land to explore! (Auckland & Sydney)
RC Rhapsody (Australia Queensland 11 nights) 2-17-15
RC Freedom (Eastern 7 nights) 10-4-15
Celebrity Infinity (SA, Buenos Aires to Brazil, Carnival in Rio!!) 1-31-16

PAST CRUISE HISTORY: (36 cruises completed!)
Celebrity Millennium (Western) 2-6-12, Eclipse 1-26-13 (Southern 14 nites) (19 nights sailed)

HAL Ryndam (Hawaii & Tahiti 30 day) 1-4-09, Westerdam (Eastern) 10-29-06 (37 nights sailed)

RCCL -Legend (Southern 2-3-14) Legend (Eastern 1-24-14), Independence (Western 2-10-13), Explorer (Bermuda 10-28-12) Serenade (Southern) 1-28-12 Allure (Western) 10-9-11, Oasis (Western) 10-1-11, Liberty (Western) 2-5-,11, Liberty (Western) 2-7-10, Navigator (Western) 1-30-10,Navigator (Western) 1-25-10, Jewel (Panama) 11-7-08, Enchantment (Western) 9-1-08, Radiance (Hawaii) 5-3-08, Enchantment (Western) 1-26-08 B2B, Enchantment (Western) 1-21-08 B2B, Mariner (Eastern) 9-2-07, Freedom (Western) 9-10-06, Empress (Western) 9-3-05, Navigator (Western) 5-14-05, Jewel (Eastern) 1-29-05, Majesty (Bahamas) 3-1-04, Explorer (Western) 5-10-03, (159) nights sailed

Norwegian - Pearl (Southern) 3-2-07 Dawn (Repo) 11-1-09 NCL Pearl (Western) 10-10-10, Jewel (Western) 10-13-13 (37 nights sailed)

Princess - Grand Princess (Southern) 2-11-12 Caribbean Princess (Eastern) 4-29-06 (14 nights sailed)

Carnival - Sensation (Western) 5-10-04, Holiday (Western) 4-19-04, Destiny (Southern) 4-6-03 (17 nights sailed)

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Coverage with Chase Sapphire

I had the same question and after reading through the benefits guide realized that although cancellation coverage is included, you're on your own if you get sick or injured and need to be evacuated from the ship. This can be extremely costly, so I went to insuremytrip.com and got a policy that provides medical/evacuation coverage. It only cost about $27 for both my husband and myself and fills in gaps our normal medical insurance wouldn't cover while traveling outside the United States.

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera1028 View Post
I had the same question and after reading through the benefits guide realized that although cancellation coverage is included, you're on your own if you get sick or injured and need to be evacuated from the ship. This can be extremely costly, so I went to insuremytrip.com and got a policy that provides medical/evacuation coverage. It only cost about $27 for both my husband and myself and fills in gaps our normal medical insurance wouldn't cover while traveling outside the United States.
I always worry that once you need the insurance to come thru this is when you find out all the issues. I always buy it from the cruise line but I don't want to "double up". I will check the insuremytrip.com thanks much