Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:21 PM
sunseeker1017 sunseeker1017 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Holland MI
Posts: 1
Default How pure is the tap water on the ships?

Should I plan on purchasing bottled water quite frequently?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:23 PM
SadieN SadieN is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario, CA (The one WITH the Palm Trees!)
Posts: 11,540
Default

We will bring on a bottle of water then refill with ship water.
At the buffet they request you use a cup when refilling.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker1017 View Post
Should I plan on purchasing bottled water quite frequently?
I can't give you numbers, but we've just used the water from the tap in room to fill water bottles we've brought onboard to use.

All the ships we've been on the water (ALL the water - from the tap, served in dining room, making ice, preparing food, in the shower) is processed the same as most bottled waters (reverse osmosis and filtered).

We've never gotten sick from drinking ship's water.
__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights

Last edited by Shmoo here; March 28th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 28th, 2014, 10:28 PM
flucocruiser's Avatar
flucocruiser flucocruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 99
Default

It's above the standards set by the U.S. Health agency it's capable of turning sea water to drinkable water but you can bring water if you want


Sent from my iPod touch using Forums
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:57 PM
GORDONCHICK's Avatar
GORDONCHICK GORDONCHICK is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 10,417
Default

The tap water on a cruise ship is probably better than water that comes out of your tap at home unless you're on well water.
__________________
Carmen

Celebrity Galaxy 11/04
Grand Princess 2/06
Carnival Conquest 10/06
Celebrity Mercury to Alaska 9/07 very cool - literally!
Vegas, baby! 11/08
NCL Spirit 1/09, where everybody knew my name (which was strange and a little fun at the same time)
NCL Pearl 3/10
HAL Oosterdam 5/2011, back to Alaska we went!
RCCL Mariner OTS 3/2012 - another 1st!
NCL Star 12/2012 - more firsts!
NCL Jewel 12/2013 - Christmas on the water
NCL Jewel 11/2014 - and a few more firsts!
NCL Sun 5/2015 - North to Alaska, this time into Denali!


Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:59 AM
chengkp75's Avatar
chengkp75 chengkp75 is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,310
Default

I've answered this so many times, I'll just cut and paste my canned answer:

Ship's water is from 3 sources: distillation from sea water, reverse osmosis filtering from sea water, or shore side sources. The USPH has strict requirements about drinking water, it's production, handling, disinfection, and storage. USPH requires chlorination to sanitize the water at higher levels than most municipal supplies, and this can affect the taste. Water from the drink dispensers in the buffet and MDR, the bar guns, and ice makers are filtered to remove the chlorine mainly for maintenance reasons, so the taste can be "better". I put better in quotes, as water taste is one of the most subjective areas of life in the US. Everyone tastes water differently, and has a preference for more/less minerals, etc.

A Brita type water bottle or pitcher will do the same thing as the filters on the drink dispensers for the water from your sink in your cabin.

While most folks know that their local water supply chlorinates water, the USPH requirement is that there is always some residual chlorine in the water, since the water continually recirculates, unlike the one way piping from your water source to your house. Water samples are taken monthly and tested for bacteria.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 29th, 2014, 06:25 AM
sparks1093's Avatar
sparks1093 sparks1093 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Enosburg Falls, Vermont
Posts: 10,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengkp75 View Post
I've answered this so many times, I'll just cut and paste my canned answer:

Ship's water is from 3 sources: distillation from sea water, reverse osmosis filtering from sea water, or shore side sources. The USPH has strict requirements about drinking water, it's production, handling, disinfection, and storage. USPH requires chlorination to sanitize the water at higher levels than most municipal supplies, and this can affect the taste. Water from the drink dispensers in the buffet and MDR, the bar guns, and ice makers are filtered to remove the chlorine mainly for maintenance reasons, so the taste can be "better". I put better in quotes, as water taste is one of the most subjective areas of life in the US. Everyone tastes water differently, and has a preference for more/less minerals, etc.

A Brita type water bottle or pitcher will do the same thing as the filters on the drink dispensers for the water from your sink in your cabin.

While most folks know that their local water supply chlorinates water, the USPH requirement is that there is always some residual chlorine in the water, since the water continually recirculates, unlike the one way piping from your water source to your house. Water samples are taken monthly and tested for bacteria.
So for anyone that doesn't know this is from the guy whose job it is to oversee the making of the water (and to make the ship go), a more reliable source we couldn't ask for.
__________________


Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Email sparks1093

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:10 AM
leaveitallbehind's Avatar
leaveitallbehind leaveitallbehind is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly burbs, PA
Posts: 7,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1093 View Post
So for anyone that doesn't know this is from the guy whose job it is to oversee the making of the water (and to make the ship go), a more reliable source we couldn't ask for.
Like! (and agree)
__________________
[SIGPIC]

RCI cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (twice)
Voyager
Navigator
Liberty
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom - 10/14
Adventure B2B - 6/15 & 7/15

Upcoming:

Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 29th, 2014, 09:28 AM
spookwife spookwife is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker1017 View Post
Should I plan on purchasing bottled water quite frequently?
better than most shore side tap water( and a bazillion times better than FL tap water)

bottled water is a waste of money and lousy for the environment. you can buy a personal size water bottle with a built in filter if the taste is what throws you off. but the quality and purity of on board ship water is better than many large cities.
__________________
18 June 2006: First cruise EVER!!!
Methinks Its time to go cruisin' again...
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Bonnie J. Bonnie J. is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Carolina Coast!, USA
Posts: 4,400
Default

We cruise on Carnival's Fantasy out of Charleston, SC a LOT. The water they get in Charleston is awful. So, we got an $18 water filter from Loew's and put it on our bathroom sink. (The room steward has to remove the air rater (spicket) sometimes but we put it back at end of cruise.) Water is then fine. I have a thermos I fill with this water for tours and on deck and this is the water we drink.
__________________
CRUISE LINES
Dolphin
Commodore
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa

Last edited by Bonnie J.; March 29th, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:24 AM
cb at sea cb at sea is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, va. USA
Posts: 62,848
Default

The ship's water is perfectly fine. The food you eat will be made with ship's water. The ice in your drinks will be from ship's water. The drinks will be made with ship's water.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:27 AM
chengkp75's Avatar
chengkp75 chengkp75 is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie J. View Post
We cruise on Carnival's Fantasy out of Charleston, SC a LOT. The water they get in Charleston is awful. So, we got an $18 water filter from Loew's and put it on our bathroom sink. (The room steward has to remove the air rater (spicket) sometimes but we put it back at end of cruise.) Water is then fine. I have a thermos I fill with this water for tours and on deck and this is the water we drink.
True, but likely, Charlestonian's probably think their water tastes fine. Water taste is one of the most subjective things about life in the US.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengkp75 View Post
I've answered this so many times, I'll just cut and paste my canned answer:

Ship's water is from 3 sources: distillation from sea water, reverse osmosis filtering from sea water, or shore side sources. The USPH has strict requirements about drinking water, it's production, handling, disinfection, and storage. USPH requires chlorination to sanitize the water at higher levels than most municipal supplies, and this can affect the taste. Water from the drink dispensers in the buffet and MDR, the bar guns, and ice makers are filtered to remove the chlorine mainly for maintenance reasons, so the taste can be "better". I put better in quotes, as water taste is one of the most subjective areas of life in the US. Everyone tastes water differently, and has a preference for more/less minerals, etc.

A Brita type water bottle or pitcher will do the same thing as the filters on the drink dispensers for the water from your sink in your cabin.

While most folks know that their local water supply chlorinates water, the USPH requirement is that there is always some residual chlorine in the water, since the water continually recirculates, unlike the one way piping from your water source to your house. Water samples are taken monthly and tested for bacteria.
Do the 3 different sources mix at some point? When?
__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:41 AM
chengkp75's Avatar
chengkp75 chengkp75 is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo here View Post
Do the 3 different sources mix at some point? When?
Yes, they do. At the storage tanks at the least, or in the water system at the latest. Unlike home systems, the water on ships is continuously recirculating, so there is mixing of water from different water tanks at times. Any water taken from shore must be isolated from service until it has been tested for fecal coliform bacteria. This takes 24 hours, so any water that comes from shore is not used for 24 hours, but has already been chlorinated, as the water is chlorinated while it is being loaded.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Shmoo here's Avatar
Shmoo here Shmoo here is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengkp75 View Post
Yes, they do. At the storage tanks at the least, or in the water system at the latest. Unlike home systems, the water on ships is continuously recirculating, so there is mixing of water from different water tanks at times. Any water taken from shore must be isolated from service until it has been tested for fecal coliform bacteria. This takes 24 hours, so any water that comes from shore is not used for 24 hours, but has already been chlorinated, as the water is chlorinated while it is being loaded.
Thank you. I'm interested in this, because I always felt the water onboard (at least the ships I've been on thus far) is great. And I like to know all kinds of stuff about things. That way, I can answer questions better.
__________________
DCLHAL Carnival
13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 29th, 2014, 12:25 PM
John Bull John Bull is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Romsey England
Posts: 7,575
Default

Something not mentioned on this thread is that because it's stored in tanks rather than from underground pipes, the water from ship's taps is nowhere near as cold as from your tap at home.

At drinks stations the water is chilled or ice is available or both.
But water from your bathroom tap is tepid. If your cabin has a fridge but no ice, draw a bottleful or two & store it in the fridge. Saves relying on the steward to keep an ice bucket topped-up.

JB
__________________
Anyone who looks like their passport photo is too ill to travel (Will Kommen)
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:12 PM
chengkp75's Avatar
chengkp75 chengkp75 is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Something not mentioned on this thread is that because it's stored in tanks rather than from underground pipes, the water from ship's taps is nowhere near as cold as from your tap at home.

At drinks stations the water is chilled or ice is available or both.
But water from your bathroom tap is tepid. If your cabin has a fridge but no ice, draw a bottleful or two & store it in the fridge. Saves relying on the steward to keep an ice bucket topped-up.

JB
Tepid is good, sometimes down right hot. The water tanks are not allowed to be "integral" with the hull like fuel and ballast tanks, so they have air space all around them, acting as an insulator, and the tanks are part of the engine spaces. Since the water is constantly circulating, it doesn't sit like the water in your underground pipes to chill, and the pumping adds heat.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old March 29th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Vampire Parrot Vampire Parrot is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 489
Default

If you find that the taste/smell of chlorine in ship's water is unpleasant then what you can do is to put a bottle or jug of ship's water in your cabin fridge (if you have one) with the cap removed. After a day it will be nice and cold, and the taste/smell of chlorine is gone.

Whenever I'm asked what kind of water I would like in the speciality restaurants, i.e. "still or sparkling" (at additional cost!) I have been known to reply "ship's water please. I know it's been passed by the Chief Engineer".

VP
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.