ALLURE - just another review, at a different angle

Already so many satisfactory reviews about the Allure. So how can I write yet another review without being repetitive?

With this question in mind, I’ll try to review our recent cruise from a different angle. Hope it can be of use for fellow cruisers who want to cruise the Allure, or want to cruise the Allure again! We did.

RITA’S FIESTA

Do this. It is a lot of fun. And do this early in the week. We did on embarkation night (day 1), when not so many people knows about the fiesta so the restaurant is not very crowded. Just enough guests to make it fun. Service is fast and attentive as the servers are not too busy. But the best part is when we came out of the restaurant and danced on the boardwalk. Other guests flocked to see the “attraction”, and am sure make them wish to book the next fiesta!

On another note, at least on our cruise, the boardwalk just lost its novelty towards the end of the cruise, especially in the evening. Which is kind of sad, as actually it is a beautiful area. However, we cannot blame the passengers as there are so many activities they want to do in other areas as well.

150 CENTRAL PARK

Mixed comments here. We arrived promptly as per our booking at 6.30pm, and we had the restaurant to ourselves. Our waiter is very experienced, and we really enjoyed his explanation on the different dishes. As the nights go on, other guests started coming in, and “our” waiter became busiers as he has to attend to 4 different tables and 4 different courses to be served. We did feel a bit of “left behind”, but maybe it was because we were feeling like VIP earlier.

Anyway, this is the menu. We went later in the week so it is the 2nd menu :

BOREK FARMS CARROTS - Roasted, pureed, pickled Shaved homemade ricotta, green olives, sunflower seeds and sprout

POTATO LEEK SOUP - Caviar, potato crisp, crème fraiche (ours is sans caviar)

BEET AND GOAT CHEESE TORTELLINI - Parmesan nage, chives

GRILLED TUNA - Braised Borek Farms turnips, Swiss chard puree, potato croquette, red wine reduction

BEEF TWO WAYS - Grilled White Oak Pastures tenderloin and Hariss Ranch short rib galette asparagus, Swank Farms cress, jus

BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE BOURBON TART - Cranberry chutney, spiced pecans, salted caramel sauce

The menu was taken back by the waiter – there’s nothing we can do about our menu anyway, it is a set menu. We just have to enjoy whatever comes out of the chef’s kitchen. However, the waiter prompty gave us a mini version of the menu for keepsake with our names printed on it.

We are vegetarians, so the waiter – immediately without prior discussion with the chef – told us that they will serve mushroom in lieu of the grilled tuna. And the beef? Well, I am sure the chef will be able to do something, said the waiter.

Each and every course is superb, including the mushroom impromptu. However, I do not really enjoy the eggplant that they substitute for the beef. I think the chef could do better, eggplant parmigiana is too banal for a restaurant of this calibre. Well…

My wife jokingly commented that I didn’t enjoy the parmigiana because I am already too full from the previous courses! Maybe, maybe….

Anyway, full or not full, the dessert is again something not to be missed. It is simply indescribable! Heaven! (Unfortunately for you, the chef is not allowed to repeat the menu so your chance of enjoying this same dessert is really slim! Don’t worry. They will serve another heavenly dessert, I am sure!)

JOHNNY ROCKET

Breakfast is free here. Service is so-so, maybe they are still sleepy and hate to work in the morning. However, we do enjoy the eggs here as we can have it cooked to order and we don’t have to stand in queue for it. The ocean vista at the back of the ship is another bonus!

CAFÉ PROMENADE

Very soon this become our most favorite place. For people watching, for seeing the parade, for late night chocolate drinks! Later we also learned to ask for paper cups so we can bring our hot drinks to the Amber Theatre! (we don’t drink anything cold, except ice cream).

Before boarding, when doing restaurant reservation we always mentioned that we are vegetarians. I don’t think the restaurants are aware about this. They know only when we are at the restaurant and mention it to the waiter. However, it seems that they can accommodate and modify the menu immediately. We were served “cheese quesadilla” for our entrée in Rita’s Cantina.

Last but not least. I’d like to recommend the boardwalk balcony.

Only on Allure (and Oasis) you can have the best of two worlds : the serene ocean view at the aft and the pele-mele of people on the carousel and the boardwalk. Go for it. Noise is not a problem once you close (and lock) your balcony door. Enjoy! (We did).

Edited by anandaindonesia

Sue,

Thanks for your kind compliments.

We stumble upon WipeOut Cafe, the food there seems tempting but we were full after having breakfast in Windjammer. So we just get another cup of hot tea. :)

Enjoy your Allure in July!

Michael (OP)

Last but not least. I’d like to recommend the boardwalk balcony.

Only on Allure (and Oasis) you can have the best of two worlds : the serene ocean view at the aft and the pele-mele of people on the carousel and the boardwalk. Go for it. Noise is not a problem once you close (and lock) your balcony door. Enjoy! (We did).

Glad to read this. We booked a boardwalk room to combine the best of both worlds...the ocean and people watching!

We booked 10327 ..2nd to last balcony from the aft.

We should have a pretty good view of the Aquatheatre... right?

Michael (OP),

We were looking at an Ocean View Balcony but we decided to take your advice. Booked an Aft Boardwalk Balcony and saved $250. After all there are not many ships that offer this type of experience and view.

Timm

We booked 10327 ..2nd to last balcony from the aft.

We should have a pretty good view of the Aquatheatre... right?

Congratulations! The AquaTheatre is yours to see. Enjoy!

I stayed 7 cabin from the aft.

Michael (OP)

Sent using Tapatalk. Sorry for typho.

We were looking at an Ocean View Balcony but we decided to take your advice. Booked an Aft Boardwalk Balcony and saved $250... ...

Timm,

I am happy for you!

Have a great cruise on the Allure!

Michael (OP)

Vickie & Lynn,

Our cabon is 10717. Just above JohnnyRocket and opposite Rita's Cantina. You can see the AquaTheatre and the Carousel.

Have a great cruise!

Michael (OP)

How was your view of the ocean (aft)? I see your room was obstructed so just wondering.

We are on deck 14 and would like to move to a lower deck if another B2 becomes available.

Hi EbayCruiser,

There is no obstruction. I can see the ocean nicely enough beyond the AquaTheatre. Not straight at the wake, .... at an angle!

I would not want deck 14. Just under the pool/buffet.

Already so many satisfactory reviews about the Allure. So how can I write yet another review without being repetitive?

In my opinion, you can't have too many reviews. Sometime repetition adds to existing opinion as valid. On the other hand, your the first I've seen to say the service at Rita's Cantina was fast and attentive. That might be a signal the cruise line had read reviews and is making changes. I didn't go Rita's either time I was on Allure. If I keep hearing more word like yours, it might persuade me to try it next time.

Hi EbayCruiser,

There is no obstruction. I can see the ocean nicely enough beyond the AquaTheatre. Not straight at the wake, .... at an angle!

I would not want deck 14. Just under the pool/buffet.

Room 14321 is our room and it is under the mini-golf. I am sure we will change when the prices drop, after final payment. I very rarely stay with the same room that I have booked. :)

We did the Rita's Fiesta on sail away night back in March. It was a lot of fun, it included 3 drinks (beer or margarita) each for $20 along with a selection of Mexican food.

Doing the clichéd line dances out in the Boardwalk while clutching our Margaritas was a good way to start the cruise :)

I think for the Fiesta since it is fixed menu and limited seating (rather than just random people walking up for a table as they want one) that the service might be a little better than at other times but that's just an opinion.

Michael,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am sorry we did not meet aboard the ship.

Sue,

My family ate breakfast at the Wipeout Café several times. It is a forgotten venue, never crowded any time we were there. They do not have the selection that is found at the Windjammer, but we had eggs, French Toast, etc, and it was all very good. There is a Coke Freestyle machine there as well, so we stopped by often.

In my opinion, you can't have too many reviews. Sometime repetition adds to existing opinion as valid. On the other hand, your the first I've seen to say the service at Rita's Cantina was fast and attentive. That might be a signal the cruise line had read reviews and is making changes. I didn't go Rita's either time I was on Allure. If I keep hearing more word like yours, it might persuade me to try it next time.

We went for the Fiesta, where the menu is fixed. Everybody is served the same items (except us vegetarians, sorry for the trouble) at the same time.

I can't say of the service in the Cantina for the a la carte, everyday menu.

That being said, Bill, if you are going to try Mexican food on your next Allure, go all the way out and enjoy the fiesta. It is an experience you'll remember for a long time - with a smile :D !

And thank you for the encouragement to write more reviews. Hope I can have more cruises to write about. :-)

Michael (OP)

• 5 months later...