Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:27 PM
hllwdcruiser's Avatar
hllwdcruiser hllwdcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida & Crown Point, NY
Posts: 338
Default Fellow South Floridians - Advice please!

I am researching flights to Alaska from Fort Lauderdale Airport - push comes to shove, we can leave from PBA or MIA.

We are on a cruise tour that leaves from Anchorage and disembarks in Vancouver. In your experience is it better to fly rt to Seattle then catch a flight to Anchorage and after the cruise catch a bus to Seattle? I've looked at multi city flights - FLL to Anchorage, Vancouver to FLL - and the options are not great.

We are going to leave at least two days before the cruise tour begins so time is not an issue but I would prefer to not arrive in Anchorage in the wee hours of the morning. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
__________________
NCL 1978, 1987; RCCL 2004, 2006; PCL 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:23 PM
khoffman khoffman is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Florida/Ohio
Posts: 18
Default

I do not know about cost and times after Cont. and United merger but direct to Chicago then direct to Anchorage. Return works from several airports into Chicago then to Southern Florida
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old June 1st, 2014, 08:39 PM
Travel beagle Travel beagle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllwdcruiser View Post
I am researching flights to Alaska from Fort Lauderdale Airport - push comes to shove, we can leave from PBA or MIA.

We are on a cruise tour that leaves from Anchorage and disembarks in Vancouver. In your experience is it better to fly rt to Seattle then catch a flight to Anchorage and after the cruise catch a bus to Seattle? I've looked at multi city flights - FLL to Anchorage, Vancouver to FLL - and the options are not great.

We are going to leave at least two days before the cruise tour begins so time is not an issue but I would prefer to not arrive in Anchorage in the wee hours of the morning. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
We are flying into vancouver from WPB and returning from anchorage to WPB. I found cheapest flights by booking each as a one way flight .. Our flight out leaves at 7am arrives 4pm and return flight leaves 11pm arrives 1pm next day I paid a total of $665 .. Return flights had earlier times for about same rate but this time worked best for us... Hope this helps
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:34 PM
stilley9 stilley9 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 75
Default

I'm going from Charlotte but I researched a thousand options and it ended up being cheaper doing Charlotte to anchorage, then Vancouver back to Charlotte. Search on kayak and you get a lot of options. We got $550 per person, and Charlotte is a notoriously expensive place to fly from.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:09 AM
OfficerKrupke's Avatar
OfficerKrupke OfficerKrupke is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Southeast of Disorder, near the Port of Indecision
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilley9 View Post
Charlotte is a notoriously expensive place to fly from.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
I know I'm off topic, but this made me laugh. I fly to Key West regularly from Knoxville, TN. Once, and only once, did I fly USAir through Charlotte. It was $150 cheaper to fly from Knoxville to Charlotte to Key West than it was to fly on the exact same flight from Charlotte to Key West. Thanks for the validation of my suspicions.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:15 AM
hllwdcruiser's Avatar
hllwdcruiser hllwdcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida & Crown Point, NY
Posts: 338
Default

Thanks everyone for your replies - so helpful. I will keep searching!
__________________
NCL 1978, 1987; RCCL 2004, 2006; PCL 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
lovetotraveltx lovetotraveltx is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 553
Default

We are doing southbound so need to fly in to Anchorage and out of Vancouver. Can't book for another month but have been playing around. Doesn't save much money and sounds like a pain to take the train to Seattle from Vancouver and fly from there. We are coming out of Texas.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM
Potstech Potstech is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 1,146
Default

To take the train from Vancouver to Seattle is not an easy trip. First you will have to get a taxi from the terminal to the train station. There you buy the ticket for the BUS ride to Seattle. You can buy directly to the Seattle airport or go to the Seattle Amtrack station which I do not recommend as you would then have to take another transportation to the airport. It is about a 4 hour bus ride depending on conditions at the border. There you will have to take all your luggage off the bus and go thru customs and then put it back on the bus. There is a schedule for buses and it is not that good. Catching a particular flight out of Seattle would be a hit or miss item unless you spent the night in Seattle. Can it be done. Yes. Is it worth it to save a few dollars. having done it several times I would say NO. We now fly directly to and from Vancouver to Virginia. Much easier and less time consuming.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:19 PM
scubarn1's Avatar
scubarn1 scubarn1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 59
Default

I am doing a northbound cruise. Decided to spend a couple of days in Seattle first (Pikes Market Place is on my bucket list) then take the Amtrack into Vancouver. There are United flights from PBI to Houston then Houston to Anchorage flight. Most of the flights from/to South Florida into/from Anchorage involve 3 connections. I was able to find 2 connections, but it took some research on my part.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:58 AM
lovetotraveltx lovetotraveltx is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarn1 View Post
I am doing a northbound cruise. Decided to spend a couple of days in Seattle first (Pikes Market Place is on my bucket list) then take the Amtrack into Vancouver. There are United flights from PBI to Houston then Houston to Anchorage flight. Most of the flights from/to South Florida into/from Anchorage involve 3 connections. I was able to find 2 connections, but it took some research on my part.

United has a direct Houston to Anchorage flight?? Are the times OK? Any other airlines with direct?

Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
hllwdcruiser's Avatar
hllwdcruiser hllwdcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida & Crown Point, NY
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstech View Post
To take the train from Vancouver to Seattle is not an easy trip. First you will have to get a taxi from the terminal to the train station. There you buy the ticket for the BUS ride to Seattle. You can buy directly to the Seattle airport or go to the Seattle Amtrack station which I do not recommend as you would then have to take another transportation to the airport. It is about a 4 hour bus ride depending on conditions at the border. There you will have to take all your luggage off the bus and go thru customs and then put it back on the bus. There is a schedule for buses and it is not that good. Catching a particular flight out of Seattle would be a hit or miss item unless you spent the night in Seattle. Can it be done. Yes. Is it worth it to save a few dollars. having done it several times I would say NO. We now fly directly to and from Vancouver to Virginia. Much easier and less time consuming.
Thanks for this - I feel like I can now eliminate this option while doing my search. I was thinking of spending the night in Seattle - but I think the hassle just isn't worth it.
__________________
NCL 1978, 1987; RCCL 2004, 2006; PCL 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:27 PM
hllwdcruiser's Avatar
hllwdcruiser hllwdcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida & Crown Point, NY
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarn1 View Post
I am doing a northbound cruise. Decided to spend a couple of days in Seattle first (Pikes Market Place is on my bucket list) then take the Amtrack into Vancouver. There are United flights from PBI to Houston then Houston to Anchorage flight. Most of the flights from/to South Florida into/from Anchorage involve 3 connections. I was able to find 2 connections, but it took some research on my part.
Pikes Market is on my bucket list too - but I think I'm going to wait for a land trip to visit that part of the country. Completely off topic but DH and I are actually in the process of purchasing an RV (a necessity due to our much loved canine child) and plan on touring the country slowly and in depth over the next few years. The entire west coast is on our bucket list! We have a friend who toured all of Alaska in his motor home and swears that is the only way to do it....we'll see. Right now I'm having a blast planning this cruise!

It looks like we are going to just have to accept the fact that we will fly direct and deal with multiple connections. We did a land tour of the Big Island in Hawaii a few years back and it took 18 hours door to door. It sure was worth it as I am absolutely sure Alaska will be as well!
__________________
NCL 1978, 1987; RCCL 2004, 2006; PCL 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Aquahound's Avatar
Aquahound Aquahound is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Conch Republic
Posts: 15,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllwdcruiser View Post
I've looked at multi city flights - FLL to Anchorage, Vancouver to FLL - and the options are not great.
I was in the same boat last year. We flew Alaska from FLL to Anchorage with a layover in Seattle.

For the flight back, we flew Air Canada from Vancouver to FLL with a layover in Toronto.

These flights turned out to be perfect. Good luck!
__________________
Paul
Sunward II 11/88, Seaward 8/92, Seaward 4/96, Norwegian Sea 11/01, RCI Monarch 10/02, RCI Enchantment 10/03, RCI Majesty 5/04, RCI Adventure 10/04, RCI Explorer 10/05, RCI Majesty 5/06, RCI Freedom 9/06, RCI Explorer 5/07, RCI Adventure 10/07, RCI Navigator 2/08, RCI Navigator 8/08 (Med.), RCI Majesty 11/08, Celebrity Solstice 4/09, RCI Enchantment 7/09, RCI Radiance 11/09 (Mex. Riv.), Celebrity Solstice 4/10, RCI Majesty 6/10, RCI Majesty 8/10, RCI Oasis 10/10, RCI Radiance 11/10, Celebrity Century 1/11, RCI Allure 4/11, Nor. Sky 6/11, RCI Majesty 9/11, Nor. Sky 9/11, Celebrity Summit 11/11, RCI Liberty 2/12, Nieuw Amsterdam 5/12 (Med.), RCI Majesty 8/12, RCI Oasis 10/12, RCI Majesty 11/12, Nor. Dawn 12/12, RCI Liberty 2/13, RCI Majesty 4/13, Celebrity Millennium 6/13 (Alaska), RCI Enchantment 9/13, RCI Allure 11/13,Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Ruby Princess 2/14, RCI Liberty 4/14, Caribbean Princess 5/14, Zuiderdam (Alaska) 7/14, RCI Vision 8/14, Nor. Getaway 2/15
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:56 PM
mapleleaves mapleleaves is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 5,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllwdcruiser View Post
Thanks for this - I feel like I can now eliminate this option while doing my search. I was thinking of spending the night in Seattle - but I think the hassle just isn't worth it.
That post described the BUS trip not the TRAIN. The first line said TRAIN but then he/she went on to describe a bus trip. An entirely different scenario. And was it the Amtrak Cascades Bus or Bolt Bus or Quick Coach?
.
Many people fly into SEA, then take the evening train to Vancouver 6p-10pm.

OR, Alaska Airlines flies almost hourly to Anc so people book a multi city trip; home-seattle-anc-home. Or look into the $100 companion fare on Alaska if you have their credit card.

If you're spending that much time (and aggravation) looking for a good fare and convenient flight, why not go to a reputable travel agent ? I had a multi city Europe trip, following a cruise from Venice and spent COUNTLESS hours researching airlines, city pairs, trains, buses, etc. I finally got frustrated and went to a local TA on my lunch break. When I stopped by after work, they confirmed I HAD chosen the best route, but good grief, I had wasted so much time, whereas they did it in an hr !! They charged $25 per ticket which I thought was reasonable. Plus he got our Venice hotel at a cheaper rate than I found on the internet. I'll continue to book simple flights myself, but if have to spend more than an hour, a $25 charge to my TA is well worth the aggravation.

Last edited by mapleleaves; June 5th, 2014 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old June 5th, 2014, 01:03 PM
mapleleaves mapleleaves is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 5,494
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hllwdcruiser View Post
Pikes Market is on my bucket list too - but I think I'm going to wait for a land trip to visit that part of the country. Completely off topic but DH and I are actually in the process of purchasing an RV (a necessity due to our much loved canine child) and plan on touring the country slowly and in depth over the next few years. The entire west coast is on our bucket list! We have a friend who toured all of Alaska in his motor home and swears that is the only way to do it....we'll see. Right now I'm having a blast planning this cruise!
I rented an RV in Anc for 2 weeks and it was fantastic. What a great way to see Alaska ... you just roam around with total flexibility because your bed, kitchen and bathroom are with you all the time! My retirement trip will be to spend a summer driving to and around Alaska.
If you're serious about it, you'll find this blog site very helpful. Just look down the page and you'll find trip journals from people RV'g from all over the country to Alaska .... . Enjoy! http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-..._States-Alaska

Last edited by mapleleaves; June 5th, 2014 at 01:09 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:55 PM
hllwdcruiser's Avatar
hllwdcruiser hllwdcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida & Crown Point, NY
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaves View Post
I rented an RV in Anc for 2 weeks and it was fantastic. What a great way to see Alaska ... you just roam around with total flexibility because your bed, kitchen and bathroom are with you all the time! My retirement trip will be to spend a summer driving to and around Alaska.
If you're serious about it, you'll find this blog site very helpful. Just look down the page and you'll find trip journals from people RV'g from all over the country to Alaska .... . Enjoy! http://www.mytripjournal.com/travel-..._States-Alaska
Thank you so much for this. I am so excited for this next adventure and am only hearing good things about traveling by road and camping. We already travel 1500 miles on the road from Hollywood FL to our retirement home in the Adirondack mountains and staying in pet friendly hotels is so limiting. I am already "stalking" (haven't joined yet) some RV forums - they're as active and opinionated as cc!
__________________
NCL 1978, 1987; RCCL 2004, 2006; PCL 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:57 PM
hllwdcruiser's Avatar
hllwdcruiser hllwdcruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida & Crown Point, NY
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahound View Post
I was in the same boat last year. We flew Alaska from FLL to Anchorage with a layover in Seattle.

For the flight back, we flew Air Canada from Vancouver to FLL with a layover in Toronto.

These flights turned out to be perfect. Good luck!
Yes, I think that is what we are going to end up doing - it just gets too complicated otherwise. There's more than enough to do trying to figure out what to do once we get to Alaska!!
__________________
NCL 1978, 1987; RCCL 2004, 2006; PCL 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.