Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:00 PM
shiner6's Avatar
shiner6 shiner6 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 59
Default From Mendenhall to Orca/any shortcuts?

Any suggestions for travelling from Mendenhall Glacier to ORCA Whale watch excursion is greatly appreciated? Our ship tenders at 8am--we thought we would go to Mendenhall first, then on to our Whale watch excursion at 2:30. I looked at a map and it seems like we will do a lot of backtracking in order to be picked up at the cruise terminal for our 3pm excursion. Also, is my best option for transportation the Blue bus? Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.
__________________
Nana Shiner
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:07 PM
donaldsc donaldsc is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 7,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner6 View Post
Any suggestions for travelling from Mendenhall Glacier to ORCA Whale watch excursion is greatly appreciated? Our ship tenders at 8am--we thought we would go to Mendenhall first, then on to our Whale watch excursion at 2:30. I looked at a map and it seems like we will do a lot of backtracking in order to be picked up at the cruise terminal for our 3pm excursion. Also, is my best option for transportation the Blue bus? Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.
Where does the whale watching trip depart from. No place in Juneau is far from any other place. It is not a big town.

DON
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
sherryf's Avatar
sherryf sherryf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,981
Default

Have you asked Orca if they can pick you up at Mendenhall? They often have other passengers who do a pre/post whale watch stop at Mendenhall. They might charge you a little extra for the pickup, but it would be worth the convenience.
__________________
Sherry
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old June 6th, 2014, 02:32 PM
theloo theloo is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 268
Default

Orca does offer pick up, but I recall it being a lot, about $35 per person. I am planning on taking the city bus. From Mendenhall, walk about 1.2 miles to the bus stop, take the #3 bus (only once an hour) and it stops in Auke Bay. You can get directions to Orca's slip from there.

City bus schedule: http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit...sschedule5.pdf
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:27 PM
sherryf's Avatar
sherryf sherryf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloo View Post
Orca does offer pick up, but I recall it being a lot, about $35 per person.
No it's not! It's $18.50 additional to drop you off at the glacier and pick you back up in an hour. You might be able to negotiate something cheaper if you are only being picked up from the glacier.

We are adding the glacier stop to our whale watch this year because it's cheaper than taking the round trip shuttle (now $20 round trip) and more convenient.
__________________
Sherry
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Budget Queen Budget Queen is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 42,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloo View Post
Orca does offer pick up, but I recall it being a lot, about $35 per person. I am planning on taking the city bus. From Mendenhall, walk about 1.2 miles to the bus stop, take the #3 bus (only once an hour) and it stops in Auke Bay. You can get directions to Orca's slip from there.

City bus schedule: http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit...sschedule5.pdf
This absolutely would not be a good option for most people and have you done it? Or just reporting you are going to "do it"?
__________________
Happy Alaska travels

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:36 PM
theloo theloo is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
No it's not! It's $18.50 additional to drop you off at the glacier and pick you back up in an hour. You might be able to negotiate something cheaper if you are only being picked up from the glacier.
I specifically asked about it and it was so much that I declined. If it were in the $20 range, I would have accepted because I'd rather not bother with the city bus. So they must have offered you a different price than me.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Budget Queen Budget Queen is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 42,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner6 View Post
Any suggestions for travelling from Mendenhall Glacier to ORCA Whale watch excursion is greatly appreciated? Our ship tenders at 8am--we thought we would go to Mendenhall first, then on to our Whale watch excursion at 2:30. I looked at a map and it seems like we will do a lot of backtracking in order to be picked up at the cruise terminal for our 3pm excursion. Also, is my best option for transportation the Blue bus? Thanks for any insight you might be able to provide.
The simple answer would be to take a cab direct- Mendenhall to the marina. You do need to call for one yourself, as there are no cab lines at Mendenhall, about 20 minutes prior to needing one.

Get the SPECIFIC marina name, as there are several.

Other recommendation would be to rent a car. I have driven several times to pick up Orca Enterprises. It's "automatic" for me, there is an old gas station at the turn, but I can't give any other accurate details. I'm sure you can easily get them by calling beforehand.
__________________
Happy Alaska travels

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:39 PM
theloo theloo is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Queen View Post
This absolutely would not be a good option for most people and have you done it? Or just reporting you are going to "do it"?
I stated that it was my "plan" to take the bus. I know it's not for everyone, that's why I mentioned that it's a long walk to the bus stop, but the OP was asking for any suggestions. It seems that the only options are: Orca shuttle, blue/white shuttle back to port (wasting a lot of time), a cab (not sure if they'd go out to Mendenhall for a short fare to Auke Bay), and renting a car. We considered them all.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old June 6th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Budget Queen Budget Queen is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Syracuse, New York
Posts: 42,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloo View Post
I stated that it was my "plan" to take the bus. I know it's not for everyone, that's why I mentioned that it's a long walk to the bus stop, but the OP was asking for any suggestions. It seems that the only options are: Orca shuttle, blue/white shuttle back to port (wasting a lot of time), a cab (not sure if they'd go out to Mendenhall for a short fare to Auke Bay), and renting a car. We considered them all.
You are going to find that your plan is going to be using the most time of all and won't be easy.
__________________
Happy Alaska travels

budgetqueenalaska@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old June 6th, 2014, 05:41 PM
sherryf's Avatar
sherryf sherryf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloo View Post
I specifically asked about it and it was so much that I declined. If it were in the $20 range, I would have accepted because I'd rather not bother with the city bus. So they must have offered you a different price than me.
It is the price listed on their web page.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/1-othertours.htm

WHALE WATCHING AND MENDENHALL GLACIER SHUTTLE COMBO
Add $18.50 Per adult and $15.50 per child under 12 to your whale watching price
__________________
Sherry
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old June 6th, 2014, 05:56 PM
theloo theloo is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
It is the price listed on their web page.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/1-othertours.htm

WHALE WATCHING AND MENDENHALL GLACIER SHUTTLE COMBO
Add $18.50 Per adult and $15.50 per child under 12 to your whale watching price
Thanks! I did not see that. I may call them back, though I think one issue for us is that we think we will want to spend more than an hour at Mendenhall.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old June 6th, 2014, 06:59 PM
donaldsc donaldsc is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 7,124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloo View Post
Orca does offer pick up, but I recall it being a lot, about $35 per person. I am planning on taking the city bus. From Mendenhall, walk about 1.2 miles to the bus stop, take the #3 bus (only once an hour) and it stops in Auke Bay. You can get directions to Orca's slip from there.

City bus schedule: http://www.juneau.org/capitaltransit...sschedule5.pdf
Lets assume that the total cost of your cruise with transportation is $3500 per person. The $35 cost that will make your life easier and your visit to Juneau more pleasant is only 1% of the total cruise cost.

I can't imagine walking 1.2 miles to the bus which will take 20 - 30 minutes and then waiting for a once per hour bus makes any sense. What if you get to the bus stop right after bus leaves and you have to wait another hour? Remember, bus schedules are estimates unlike airplane or boat schedules. The bus could arrive before it's designated time, at it's designated time or after it. Option 1 is going to present you with real problems.

You are going to be in Juneau maybe 8 hours and how much of the 8 hours will be spent on this transportation scheme?

DON
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:25 PM
shiner6's Avatar
shiner6 shiner6 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 59
Default

So, I am more confused now. I guess my best and safest bet is to just ride the blue bus both ways and get picked up as planned back In port?


Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
__________________
Nana Shiner
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:03 PM
tee_harbor tee_harbor is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Juneau
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiner6 View Post
So, I am more confused now. I guess my best and safest bet is to just ride the blue bus both ways and get picked up as planned back In port?
Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app
No, the most time efficient option is to contact Orca and check into being picked up at the glacier your excursion. Orca's whale watching leaves from Auke Bay, which is only about a 10 minute drive from the glacier. There's no need to waste the time of going back and forth.

I always vote for renting a car and not tying yourself down with others' schedule, but I realize not everyone is up for that. But if you do it, you could drive out the glacier in the morning and then have hours to explore before your whale watching.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old June 7th, 2014, 12:59 AM
sherryf's Avatar
sherryf sherryf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee_harbor View Post
No, the most time efficient option is to contact Orca and check into being picked up at the glacier your excursion. Orca's whale watching leaves from Auke Bay, which is only about a 10 minute drive from the glacier. There's no need to waste the time of going back and forth.

I always vote for renting a car and not tying yourself down with others' schedule, but I realize not everyone is up for that. But if you do it, you could drive out the glacier in the morning and then have hours to explore before your whale watching.
One more thing to think about, and perhaps a good reason for a car rental, is lunch. I know that really isn't a huge priority for everyone, but you mention going out to Mendenhall around 8 and whale watching at 2:30, so you aren't going to be back until dinner time. You cannot take food along with you to Mendenhall (bears!) and there is nothing to eat near there. If you had a car, you could go to Mendenhall until noon or 1, then eat lunch somewhere on that end of town before going to your whale watch.

I know that BQ may say that meals are never her priority but I get cranky when my blood sugar gets low.
__________________
Sherry
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.